Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VR, please be unique, and release quailty

The growing trend for other online games are becoming standard.  Their releasing garbage and half baked games with the promise of adding features and fixing bugs and graphics.  This isn't helping, it's demoralizing the industry so bad it's almost unbearable.  What's with Western development ?.......... It's a sad time that we have to sink to Asian cash shop grinders because the West can't seem to do it anymore.  

So now the hot topics are Early Access of "Citadel" and "Dark and Light".  Both are released in a garbage state as expected because that's the norm anymore...... Both will fail guaranteed....... Trickle releases never last long..... We desperately need a 100% full release or very close too it.  Future promises no longer carry any weight thanks to the recent history.  You cry wolf so many times, help no longer comes. 

We need a Boom !..... Something against the norm.

Whey is this here and not The Pub ?....... I lost all faith except Pantheon Rise of the Fallen   
Gdemami

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Whey is this here and not The Pub ?....... I lost all faith except Pantheon Rise of the Fallen   
    Then you should abandon all faith completely.

Expecting that X will be an exception is stupid. A small child might consider not doing his homework because the teacher might be sick tomorrow. An adult should know better and not expect and exception to happen just because you wish it would happen this time out of all the possible times.
    Kayo83Gdemami[Deleted User]

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    This is a privately funded indy game. You have expectations that many big budget AAA games cannot satisfy. Heck, even the games that are the spiritual predecessors to this one had bugs and content that would have to be added later.

My advice is to tweak your expectations to "a fun game that offers a return to community inter-dependency and greater challenge,"  and not "the second coming of Gamer Jesus." 
    KyleranScott23Sovrath[Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited July 2017
    Amathe said:
    This is a privately funded indy game. You have expectations that many big budget AAA games cannot satisfy. Heck, even the games that are the spiritual predecessors to this one had bugs and content that would have to be added later.

My advice is to tweak your expectations to "a fun game that offers a return to community inter-dependency and greater challenge,"  and not "the second coming of Gamer Jesus." 
    People who do not play indie games have a hard time believing what I am about to say and to be honest I dont blame them I found it hard to believe even when I witnessed it first hand.

Pretty much ALL the time and indie project will have more features then a AAA title. there is not a single example that I personally am aware of where its not true. and they do this on a micro version of a budget. How they pull it off so well with such little money while the big guys cant is something I dont fully understand. I have theories but its just that, theories.
    Gdemami

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    SEANMCAD said:
    People who do not play indie games have a hard time believing what I am about to say and to be honest I dont blame them I found it hard to believe even when I witnessed it first hand.

Pretty much ALL the time and indie project will have more features then a AAA title. there is not a single example that I personally am aware of where its not true. and they do this on a micro version of a budget. How they pull it off so well with such little money while the big guys cant is something I dont fully understand. I have theories but its just that, theories.
    To be fair are the percentage of indie game with little feature rather high as well, for every Minecraft there is a ton of crap. But sure, there are some really good indie games out there. And there are even some fun that doesn't have many features or nice graphics like "The death road to Canada".

I back Pantheon but I still don't expect it to be the second coming. I seems good enough to back but being hyped over a MMORPG tend to lead to disappointment. It is better to have more realistic expectations and who know, maybe, just maybe we get a pleasant surprise. :)

It would be awesome if it actually can get people who didn't play the oldschool MMOs as players but there I have my doubts. A game like this will require patience and tactics in the combat and it is a hard sell for someone used to wade through a sea of trashmobs without breaking a sweat.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited July 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    Amathe said:

The second part is true.

Indie usually have good features, and they can be open minded without the management pushing them around.  HOWEVER without management, they don't have any financial backing.

It's sad but who would buy half a car just because it has the most kick as sound system ? 

Lets hope VR has the money, yet without the management pushing them around.  Something unique :)

Gdemami
    edited July 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    Amathe said:

It's sad but who would buy half a car just because it has the most kick as sound system ? 

I would.

I understand what your saying but I dont agree with what your implying. Let me explain in detail.

1. Was Kerbal Space Program less of a game the day before its offical release out of early access? no. Was it a fantastic friggin amazing games a full year before it was released? yes. A game does not have to be complete to be good. 'completed' and 'good' are really not remotely related.

2. However, having enough money to start a game and get it to an enjoyable phase is a challenge, on that I would agree. less so now then it was in the past however
    Sovrath

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Amathe said:

I would.

I understand what your saying but I dont agree with what your implying. Let me explain in detail.

1. Was Kerbal Space Program less of a game the day before its offical release out of early access? no. Was it a fantastic friggin amazing games a full year before it was released? yes. A game does not have to be complete to be good. 'completed' and 'good' are really not remotely related.

2. However, having enough money to start a game and get it to an enjoyable phase is a challenge, on that I would agree. less so now then it was in the past however

Hay I agree, 

How often does someone say that around here ?..... Infact I'll add to your list. 

How about "7 Days to Die", this turned very popular. 

But its sad we have to count on no money indie !...... After all, like one out of a hundred make it.  You can't count on that odds... So I hope Pantheon is unique :)
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Amathe said:

I would.

Hay I agree, 

How often does someone say that around here ?..... Infact I'll add to your list. 

How about "7 Days to Die", this turned very popular. 

But its sad we have to count on no money indie !...... After all, like one out of a hundred make it.  You can't count on that odds... So I hope Pantheon is unique :)
    the big company games are more marketing tools then games, basically.
    Gdemami

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Amathe said:

I would.

As always your indie examples continue to fail when it comes to MMORPGs, no indie has yet matched AAA or even AA for that matter.

Albion is one of the first to launch, along with Elite and a few more. 

Most indie MMOs so far have been incomplete and / or unfinished messes (see SOTA, CU, LIF) so I'm  still waiting for one to rock the house.
    postlarvalkitarad

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Indie is fine and good for smaller projects but MMOs have so much overhead (as well as ONGOING overhead that continues to persist even after launch) and extra development needs that they really aren't very suited to indies.
  • Scott23Scott23 Member UncommonPosts: 293
    From my experience there has never been an MMO that released in a good state (AAA or Indie) - I'm not sure it is possible, lol.  That is one of the reasons that I tend to wait 2 -3 months after release before playing - to wait for the initial bugs and connection issues to be fixed.
    Kyleran
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Scott23 said:
    From my experience there has never been an MMO that released in a good state (AAA or Indie) - I'm not sure it is possible, lol.  
    Yep. Part of the problem is all the stress going live causes, and its exposure of so many issues not known or fully appreciated before.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

edited August 2017
    Kyleran said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Amathe said:

I would.

As always your indie examples continue to fail when it comes to MMORPGs, no indie has yet matched AAA or even AA for that matter.

Most indie MMOs so far have been incomplete and / or unfinished messes (see SOTA, CU, LIF) so I'm  still waiting for one to rock the house
    why do we flip around so much. in one instance its ok to talk about all games including mmos, then its not, then it is, then its not. I am not refering to MMOs exclusively and personally I think its stupid do so for reasons I have gone over again but I can again if you like. On that I am telling you I now play nearly exclusively titles that are not completed and its very literally the best era of gaming for me EVER. so yes..I will and DO buy stereos incomplete because frankly I find subnautica more fun then games I have played in the past and a fuck ton more intresting.

you guys would be A LOT better served if you just said 'I dont find games like subnatutica intresting' instead of just literally making up bullshit reasons

these games are NOT broken, NOT buggy, NOT all the same and NOT simple jesus fucking christ just dont like them and skip explaining why

svann

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662
    McQuaid went through this once already with Vanguard, releasing it before it was ready to launch.  If he's worth his weight in programming, he's not about to do it again.  Does that mean Pantheon will be perfect when it launches?  Highly unlikely.  It's bound to have some bugs and stability issues.  But those problems can't really be resolved until it feels the stress of a full gaming community.  So you have to expect that.  But if it's released in a state that's anything less than about 90% complete, I would be shocked.
    Gdemami

SEANMCAD said:
    Kyleran said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Amathe said:

I would.

Most indie MMOs so far have been incomplete and / or unfinished messes (see SOTA, CU, LIF) so I'm  still waiting for one to rock the house
    why do we flip around so much. in one instance its ok to talk about all games including mmos, then its not, then it is, then its not. I am not refering to MMOs exclusively and personally I think its stupid do so for reasons I have gone over again but I can again if you like. On that I am telling you I now play nearly exclusively titles that are not completed and its very literally the best era of gaming for me EVER. so yes..I will and DO buy stereos incomplete because frankly I find subnautica more fun then games I have played in the past and a fuck ton more intresting.

you guys would be A LOT better served if you just said 'I dont find games like subnatutica intresting' instead of just literally making up bullshit reasons

these games are NOT broken, NOT buggy, NOT all the same and NOT simple just dont like them and skip explaining why

Calm down there Skippy, we're in Pantheon thread which will be a MMORPG so comparisons should be restricted to like for like.

I've explained previously why I won't play EA games in great detail so I won't rehash it again.

Heck, I won't play most online games until 6 months post launch as I don't want to deal with the  initial issues, crowds, and until the feature set has stabilzed.

I have no idea if Subnautica is interesting or not, until it nears launch I'm not interested in even knowing about it.

Just how I roll. B)

MrMelGibson

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GavyneGavyne Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Zindaihas said:
    McQuaid went through this once already with Vanguard, releasing it before it was ready to launch.  If he's worth his weight in programming, he's not about to do it again.  Does that mean Pantheon will be perfect when it launches?  Highly unlikely.  It's bound to have some bugs and stability issues.  But those problems can't really be resolved until it feels the stress of a full gaming community.  So you have to expect that.  But if it's released in a state that's anything less than about 90% complete, I would be shocked.
    With Vanguard he burned through $30mil given to him by Microsoft, plus 6 months of additional money, time, and resources given to him by SOE.  He launched Vanguard because it was either launch then or never launch at all.

If he's learned his lessons, he would manage his money and ambitions better.  $30+mil and 5 years 6 months should be enough to release a good game, be it back then or now.  There are games today that would wish they had that kind of funding, Pantheon included.  Also Smed isn't there with the might and power of SOE publishing studio to save him this time.   So yeah I really hope he learned his lessons with Vanguard.  It's either 3rd times the charm or 3rd time and you're out.

I mean just think if Pantheon, or Camelot Unchained, or Ashes of Creation were given $30mil of funding today.  If they managed the money correctly and hired the right people, that kind of funding would've lifted these games above expectations.  But companies don't just give you that kind of money today anymore to make MMO's.  

Be unique and release quality just isn't a luxury people have these days.  Part of the problem is that the money just isn't there.  And when money was there, they weren't spent & managed properly.  I do appreciate them trying though.

Played: EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-LOTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO-BDO
    Waiting For: CU & Vanilla WoW

Gavyne said:
    Zindaihas said:
    With Vanguard he burned through $30mil given to him by Microsoft, plus 6 months of additional money, time, and resources given to him by SOE.  He launched Vanguard because it was either launch then or never launch at all.

If he's learned his lessons, he would manage his money and ambitions better.  $30+mil and 5 years 6 months should be enough to release a good game, be it back then or now.  There are games today that would wish they had that kind of funding, Pantheon included.  Also Smed isn't there with the might and power of SOE publishing studio to save him this time.   So yeah I really hope he learned his lessons with Vanguard.  It's either 3rd times the charm or 3rd time and you're out.

I mean just think if Pantheon, or Camelot Unchained, or Ashes of Creation were given $30mil of funding today.  If they managed the money correctly and hired the right people, that kind of funding would've lifted these games above expectations.  But companies don't just give you that kind of money today anymore to make MMO's.  

Be unique and release quality just isn't a luxury people have these days.  Part of the problem is that the money just isn't there.  And when money was there, they weren't spent & managed properly.  I do appreciate them trying though.
    How quickly they forget. The Ashes of creation lead claims to already have $30M in available funding to build the "core" game.

All that crowd funding noise is just for incidentals and to give the community the "opportunity" to participate in the excitement.

At this point Brad has either learned his lesson or not, let's  just see what comes out.

Scott23MrMelGibson

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    edited August 2017

SEANMCAD said:

Thats actually excruciatingly trivial to explain.

In a socalled "AAA" game, a ***load of resources are spent (wasted ?) onto graphics. The game has to LOOK top notch. Nothing anyone expects from an indie title.

And top graphics are actually VERY HARD to do, and thus very time consuming.

Also theres simply a LOT more people around, which are harder to coordinate. Nothing is as efficient as a single programmer on a mission, thats why some single programmers manage to make whole games. And the individual developer is thus less invested into the product. He just doesnt get the chance to have own ideas.

Also very often the budget is much higher and there are people, lets call them shareholders, which want as much money as possible from the game, which is just the death of any game.

Gdemami
    edited August 2017

SEANMCAD said:

Thats actually excruciatingly trivial to explain.

In a socalled "AAA" game, a ***load of resources are spent (wasted ?) onto graphics. The game has to LOOK top notch. Nothing anyone expects from an indie title.

And top graphics are actually VERY HARD to do, and thus very time consuming.

Also theres simply a LOT more people around, which are harder to coordinate. Nothing is as efficient as a single programmer on a mission, thats why some single programmers manage to make whole games. And the individual developer is thus less invested into the product. He just doesnt get the chance to have own ideas.

Also very often the budget is much higher and there are people, lets call them shareholders, which want as much money as possible from the game, which is just the death of any game.

AND...the budgets they make public include marketing which I have heard can sometimes be over 50% of the entire budget.

having said all that the reason I dont commit to be factual and instead a theory is because of the massive spread of difference. There are some game out there being created by ONE developer that can compete with a AAA game on the 'compelling game play' level which is amazing.

In fact, one of the 'deepest games' ever would be RimWorld currently being created by one guy..I think anyway. I am sure my friends will find out if I am wrong and post it here

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662
    Gavyne said:

There's more to making a good MMO than just deep pockets.  It takes a good team with a good vision on how it should be made.  After Vanguard was sold to SOE, it came out how chaotic things were at Vigil.  A lot of infighting and a lot of arguments between developers.  Money alone is not enough to overcome that.

That doesn't appear to be happening at Visionary Realms.  Either they're all on the same page, or they're doing a really good job at hiding their divisions.  I'd like to think it's the former.  I'm sure you can do more with less if the team is acting in unison.  In fact, I'd be willing to wager that Pantheon is going to be a better game than Vanguard on a fraction of the budget.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Zindaihas said:
    Gavyne said:

There's more to making a good MMO than just deep pockets.  It takes a good team with a good vision on how it should be made.  After Vanguard was sold to SOE, it came out how chaotic things were at Vigil.  A lot of infighting and a lot of arguments between developers.  Money alone is not enough to overcome that.

That doesn't appear to be happening at Visionary Realms.  Either they're all on the same page, or they're doing a really good job at hiding their divisions.  I'd like to think it's the former.  I'm sure you can do more with less if the team is acting in unison.  In fact, I'd be willing to wager that Pantheon is going to be a better game than Vanguard on a fraction of the budget.

If they were only to continue expanding what we've currently seen of Pantheon at it's currently level of quality, they've already achieved that.