Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What was the moment you realized MMORPGs were ' your' genre?

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    About the same as @waynejr2 besides he started before I was born.

I am a gamer, I played pen and paper RPGs since the mid 80s and still do. I play miniature games and boardgames as well.

MMORPG is more something I can play without bothering to clear a day for me and my friends or when I work odd hours (as I usually do). I usually have more fun with PnP games but it is a rather different experience (and I think MMORPGs could learn more from those games).

I started MMORPGs with Meridian 59 in 1996 and liked it besides my crappy modem, eventually I tired of lags and issues and was off a while until I started Lineage 2001 in the Western beta. I been through some games since, some for weeks others for 5 years+.

I ain't playing that much at the moment though, a little GW2 at times but I havn't found anything recently that really got me into it. Backing Pantheon though, hope it will keep me busy a while. :)
    ConstantineMeruswaynejr2
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    edited July 2017
    There are probably many of us who have been gamers all our lives, just some of us discovered MMOs as our favorite genre while others don't consider MMOs their favorite.

(Personally I was introduced to board and card games before I was 5, and was playing things like space invaders, missile command, oregon trail, pinball, etc. when I was 7 or 8.  Right alongside legos and my little ponies, lol.  My parents apparently got to know each other when one of them needed a new player for their regular games of pinochle in college, if I remember the story correctly.)
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited July 2017
    In 1985 started playing Text Muds ,thru Quantum -LinkC64, was compeletly sucked in by this , I was amazed i was playing with people from all over the country .Played alot of these games up to Neverwinter in the early 90s ..Then UO in 97 ..Have never looked back , and ive enjoyed every moment of it
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    edited July 2017
    I am not even sure MMO's are my genre of choice. My gaming evolution really started in college when I went from quake 3 to starcraft to diablo 2 and then stayed with diablo 2 for years. Until i moved to WoW till I hit 60, then L2, then EVE, then others. My current game is Path of Exile as I like the ARPG. Every time I try to play an MMORPG I feel like i've played it before. 

I played Mortal online for a month and actually really liked it. But the low population got me and then I lost interest as I saw the same people. I played Darkfall Rise of Agon for a week before I just stopped because I don't even know why. I play EVE from time to time, but it doesn't really addict me tbh. 

I do play entropia on/off, that game is fun, but i lose too much money playing it. I played neverwinter which was a crappy game, but i somehow got addicted to it. then I stopped playing. I probably went back to PoE when a new league came out. 

What usually happens with path of exile is, i level up a few characters in HC, die, get pissed and then take a break. When new league comes out again, I play again and rinse and repeat lol. 

I wonder what would happen if i didn't work about 80 hours a week and I could play video games 12 hours a day. Perhaps, then I'd throw everything into an MMO. But the current ones out seem quite lame. I tried ESO for 4 hours and then had no motivation to play again. I just feel like i've played them all before, they are just a new skin. 

I did like SWG and I was a weapon crafter and people sought me out. Then I started working 80 hours a week again and the population was low. 

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Kyleran said:
    Amathe said:
    Kyleran said:

I can recall almost nothing good from games such as RIFT, AION, SWTOR, TSW, Vanguard and a host of other "1 month wonders" I gave a try, only  the negatives.
    Ah c'mon mate. :0 SWTOR had lightsabres and electric force magic stuff that comes out of your hands. Plus some great voice acted story arcs. TSW had cool scary stories and some puzzles that were fun. And zombies! RIFT and AION I never played. Vanguard I beta tested and it had some good graphics and lore. At least, it seemed to during those brief 5 minute intervals when it was running. 
    Limited memory capacity at my age, none of that really stuck as wonderous it seems.

To me it went SWTOR just a shooter (I only played  through a Trooper) , really gimicky battleground in a jungle gym, extremely annoying voice acting which detracted from my story and interrupted my television viewing. Oh yeah, I don't want developer stories in my MMO.

TSW, awesome, love the eerie zombie theme,  this is a great mystery, then came Egypt (WTF) and some weird tree you slid around on teleporting places....all leading to standard dungeon raiding (WTF) followed by hard mode raiding. 

That and I never grasped the builds so my hammer spec meant I had to bash hundreds if not thousands of npcs to get anywhere. I quit in exhaustion while in 2nd Egypt zone where I had been beating spiders and ancient Egyptian gods for hours. (WTF?)

Where's the 3 faction open world PVP server in this game? Exterminating enemy factions should have been absolutely part of this game. (WTF)

;)

It sucks getting older.  Memory and doing math in my head was a specialty for me.  Now I sometimes wonder why I walked into the kitchen.
    KyleranCecropiaesc-joconnor[Deleted User]HatefullConstantineMerus[Deleted User]
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    waynejr2 said:

It sucks getting older.  Memory and doing math in my head was a specialty for me.  Now I sometimes wonder why I walked into the kitchen.
    Yep. I love joining a group and hear: 

"ok on his fight everyone stand in the green when we get to 1:07 then click teleportation circle after which move to Northeast corner of room while dodging blue lightening balls be sure to stay in well lit areas for grounding then ground will break and we will fall use reduce fall then gather in southeast corner behind a gray pylon wait for furious screem then move in while avoiding fissures kill adds if adds not killed boss will regenerate when boss moves gather on me then split into four sub-groups use assist on sub-group leader there will be purple blood get out of purple blood move to red spheres when spheres turn orange back off at 6:08 use trinkets."

Everyone got it? And I'm like, "there was something in the kitchen I wanted before this fight ....."
    Kyleranwaynejr2Loke666

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Amathe said:
    waynejr2 said:

Yep. I love joining a group and hear: 

"ok on his fight everyone stand in the green when we get to 1:07 then click teleportation circle after which move to Northeast corner of room while dodging blue lightening balls be sure to stay in well lit areas for grounding then ground will break and we will fall use reduce fall then gather in southeast corner behind a gray pylon wait for furious screem then move in while avoiding fissures kill adds if adds not killed boss will regenerate when boss moves gather on me then split into four sub-groups use assist on sub-group leader there will be purple blood get out of purple blood move to red spheres when spheres turn orange back off at 6:08 use trinkets."

Everyone got it? And I'm like, "there was something in the kitchen I wanted before this fight ....."
    Kyle raises his hand, "excuse me, I have a question?"

Raid Leader Alpha ONE: "WTF KYLE, DIDN'T YOU STUDY THE FIGHT VIDEOS BEFORE JOINING THE RAID!!! -1000 DKP LOSER!!!

Kyle is kicked from the raid.
    waynejr2

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    First memories were Nexus: Kingdom of the wind and Everquest.

The MMO that gave me the most feels was DAoC, best community I ever saw...

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    I didn't start gaming until I was 38. Twenty years ago today, in fact. My doctor suggested it as a way to exercise my hands. I have rheumatoid arthritis. I tried a lot of games but found Ultima Online and was hooked. I liked playing a game with others aspect of it. Now I play games in a lot of different genres, but MMO is my first love. ;-)

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Po_gg said:
    I'm still (more or less) a Cryptic fan and play their games (even though they've really made a pretty long list of stupid decisions over the years :wink: )
    That's what killed CoH too! Stupid descisions, what kills a lot of games actually. I gave CO a good run, still have 2 lifetime memberships XD (I have kids I play with) But they can't seem to hear what people are saying about their games.
    Po_gg
    Po_gg said:
    I'm still (more or less) a Cryptic fan and play their games (even though they've really made a pretty long list of stupid decisions over the years :wink: )
    That's what killed CoH too! Stupid descisions, what kills a lot of games actually. I gave CO a good run, still have 2 lifetime memberships XD (I have kids I play with) But they can't seem to hear what people are saying about their games.
    I think they knew it needed some tuning and decided to make a kind of sequel instead fully thinking CO would be far better.

I think they should have kept more things and focus on getting the city feel more alive. The citizens were either crooks or incredible helpless and constantly being robbed and something closer to when Batman, Spiderman or a similar hero patrols would have been more fun for me. Otherwise it was a pretty fun little MMO. :)

I hope they don't mess up that Magic MMO, I am a bit worried since I feel that Neverwinter was rather botched. It isn't crap but a Forgotten MMO is the easiest of all to make fun and so-so is a failure for that in my book. This is of course my personal opinion (even though I will hold to that FR still must be the easiest MMO setting ever, it is perfect for it even though setting it earlier is easier then 4th to 5th ed. That I assume was TSR/WoC fault).
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Not really a sequel... but yep, they definitely thought it will be better. It gives a lot more flexibility, but also lost some of CoH's great features to be closer to the "MMO standard", so the result was a mixed bag.

I'd definitely choose CO's character creator and skill system over CoH any day, just as the travel powers (minus teleport, that was better in CoH), gfx (cel-shade looks great) and writing. The tongue-in-cheek humour there is really good, even if it mostly derives from the IP.

On the other hand it lacked of the classes of CoH, total freedom is great, but having a mastermind is still better sometimes :wink: 
    Same goes for the two sides, usually I'm agains the whole f.cktion ( :smiley: ) shenanigans in MMOs, but in CoH/CoV's case it worked really well. Works for DCUO too, that's one of the areas where it's better than CO.
    Architect was missing too, and they only added it back to STO.
    Day jobs, the mentoring/exemplar system (CO's version was weaker, because it is more like a regular MMO in this regard, so bending the levels is not something you do all the time), the badges... in many areas CoH were better, that's why I went back after a while.

(now, if only Marvel didn't back out of the project... we will never know, I guess it'd blow CoH out of the water. Probably that was the plan too. Champions is not a bad IP, but let's face it, it really isn't Marvel either)

I played PnP D&D, but also Call of Cthulhu, Rêve de Dragon (Dragon dream), Paranoia,
    I used to yap against pvp and praise rpg for the cooperation - well, Paranoia is the exception to the rule :wink:  awesome little game, and very much fun to play. Sure, it's mostly a joke (not sure what's the genre, mock rpg? fun rpg?), but works like a charm. When you arrive to the party and see your decapitated clone with a huge hole in the back... "what happened to me? -Oh, a terrible accident, you tripped and fell. -Yeah, sure.... -What, you don't believe us? Are you a commie?" :lol:
    [Deleted User]
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I started with SWG and whilst it was a great game and a great experience, I was extremely casual and had a lot of other things going on in my life so it wasn't that important to me. 

The MMO genre really clicked with LotRO. The leveling experience had been fun, I was in a nice guild with some awesome people but we were a bit of a mixed bag. I hit endgame and at launch, all we had was one 24 man raid. We team up with some other guilds to get it done, but for some reason the raid leader wouldn't use voice chat, so we had limited success for a month before basically giving up. 

Then LotRO released a new 12 man raid - The Rift. I took over as raid leader, got a vent server and got stuff organised. Everything just sort of came together - the raid itself was extremely well designed with some awesome bosses and aesthetics, the people in my raid group were all pretty good. Using vent made the people real and we started developing proper friendships. We had friendly rivalries with other guilds on the server to try and complete the raid. On top of this I had started participating in PvP on a regular basis so was getting to know the pvp community. 

It was at this point that I realised no other genre had the potential to give me all of this awesomeness in a single game. 
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    When a guy came near me and said "party me" then told me "see you again" when he log out
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    When I first entered WoW in Darn and one nightelf said "Im going over here." Then 3 others replied and followed. 

I've never played a single player game since. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    The community, it's always the community. It was SWG for me, it was an incredible experience.

SWG was what grabbed me as well, and I have to say, it was the community. I did not care about bugs, or content, I was happy just going to a new world and shooting things or just exploring. I barely knew how to use a computer, and I knew nothing about video games at the time. I honestly wish I knew a lot less than I did now, so I could recapture that feeling of adventure and excitement.

Sadly, today it's all wannabe trolls, asinine crap going on in world chat, and people that only take pleasure in games by removing others good times (not speaking to pvp here). 

SO SWG grabbed me, and I have never felt that way since that game. I pretty much focus on shooters anymore. At least there you get exactly what you expect.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

You should give ESO a try (or a retry). It's GW2 with the things that I missed in GW2 (like ground mounts to collect), and that Elder Scroll ambience. A good game.
    I might give it a new chance this autumn, at release it was acceptable but nothing that really stood out to me. Unless the Pantheon beta starts...

What I miss with GW2 is the difficulty they had at the first beta weekend though, besides some fractals and a couple of raids the PvP is the only part that offers some challenge. I tend to tire of a game when it is too easy rather fast and it is not that I am "L33T" and must have really impossible difficulty, just a little challenge would be freaking good enough.
    [Deleted User]
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    bcbully said:

I've never played a single player game since. 
    and i play MMOs as single player games :P
  • qotsaqotsa Member UncommonPosts: 835
    When EQ came out. I dabbled with a few characters before I settled on a Barbarian Shaman. And that was it. I didn't sleep for about 5 years. lol
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    waynejr2 said:
    Kyleran said:
    Amathe said:
    Kyleran said:

I can recall almost nothing good from games such as RIFT, AION, SWTOR, TSW, Vanguard and a host of other "1 month wonders" I gave a try, only  the negatives.
    Ah c'mon mate. :0 SWTOR had lightsabres and electric force magic stuff that comes out of your hands. Plus some great voice acted story arcs. TSW had cool scary stories and some puzzles that were fun. And zombies! RIFT and AION I never played. Vanguard I beta tested and it had some good graphics and lore. At least, it seemed to during those brief 5 minute intervals when it was running. 
    Limited memory capacity at my age, none of that really stuck as wonderous it seems.

To me it went SWTOR just a shooter (I only played  through a Trooper) , really gimicky battleground in a jungle gym, extremely annoying voice acting which detracted from my story and interrupted my television viewing. Oh yeah, I don't want developer stories in my MMO.

TSW, awesome, love the eerie zombie theme,  this is a great mystery, then came Egypt (WTF) and some weird tree you slid around on teleporting places....all leading to standard dungeon raiding (WTF) followed by hard mode raiding. 

That and I never grasped the builds so my hammer spec meant I had to bash hundreds if not thousands of npcs to get anywhere. I quit in exhaustion while in 2nd Egypt zone where I had been beating spiders and ancient Egyptian gods for hours. (WTF?)

Where's the 3 faction open world PVP server in this game? Exterminating enemy factions should have been absolutely part of this game. (WTF)

;)

Add several world class head injuries to that and you can wander around in my world. Much like I do until I check all the notes I leave for myself. Smartphones were invented for people like me.
    waynejr2

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• intrinscintrinsc Member UncommonPosts: 98
    My "moment" was when I was playing a Rift beta and an invasion started in the first Guardian zone and next thing I know I'm fighting back invasions in an impromptu raid. It was amazing and I was hooked.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    waynejr2 said:
    Kyleran said:
    Amathe said:
    Kyleran said:

;)

As long as you remember why you walked into the toilets, there's still a little hope ;)
    Do toilets from the opposite sex count too? ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 
    [Deleted User]waynejr2
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

lahnmir said:
    waynejr2 said:
    Kyleran said:
    Amathe said:
    Kyleran said:

;)

As long as you remember why you walked into the toilets, there's still a little hope ;)
    Do toilets from the opposite sex count too? ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 

At the trader joes near me the two rest rooms are marked for everyone to use.

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    They aren't. They used to be. But they have become less than they used to be. 
    waynejr2 said:
    Kyleran said:
    Amathe said:
    Kyleran said:

;)

What about adult diapers?
    [Deleted User]