Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are we fed up with these survival games?

Comments

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    I found many to be fun and enjoyable since I'm burned on MMO's for now. I've been playing Conan Exiles for couple weeks now. What's not to love about Naked Busty Cannibalistic Bodacious Barbarian Babes carving an existence in a hostile area? You should see my fortress with all female thralls and eating males at leisure. Yog is very pleased! ;)

** Raving Rabbid gives plunger salute to brie Larson playing Ms Marvel!**

KyleranDistopiaManWithNoTanAzaron_Nightblade

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• shetlandslarsenshetlandslarsen Member UncommonPosts: 203
    well i have tried a few and while i have had some fun with the crafting in some of them the genre is just not for me.
    I am a scizo misanthrope. So one day I may go BANZAI on your post.
    Have not yet though. Maybe there is hope?
    Nah there is really none for me or the human race. 
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Any time I see any combination of "Open World" "Early Access" "Survival" as tags for a game I immediately close whatever tab I was browsing.
    Kyleran
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited July 2017
    Nope... Considering I've only played two which I'd add are rather different mechanics wise (LIF, Conan) I've found a lot to like in both. The only similarities are essentially the no man's land aspect and community building aspects of both. LIF is a slower paced game with more emphasis on realism, "to move a log you have to move the actual log"  Conan is much more streamlined and actiony in comparison. Much better suited for straight warfare. 

So no not fed up, I welcome more that pique my interest. Citadel may be that next pick actually. Looks promising and it's reviewing well. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    OP - 
    no I am fed up with High Fantasy/Medieval genre how many more decades will it go on?
    Sovrath

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

edited July 2017
    At the moment survival games are what MMOs used and were supposed to be - minus massive number of players.

Yet, i find that having 50-100 players makes for much stronger community.

That being said, survival games are rough around the edges mostly. And none of them is out of EA even...
    best post of the day. although the more high profile ones are pretty solid and not rough but that is a minor point

edited July 2017
    Any time I see any combination of "Open World" "Early Access" "Survival" as tags for a game I immediately close whatever tab I was browsing.
    and that is exactly what I go out of my way to find.

In fact when on Steam if I want to look for a game the first thing I do is go directly to Early Access.

• TsuruTsuru Member UncommonPosts: 297
    I dont know why it bothers people. If you dont like the genre then why are people reading up on these type of games they dont like. It would be like saying i dont like FPSs and yet im going on the internet and reading up on new call of duty games coming out. There is no point, so i dont do it.
    holy smokes! I had this idea a year ago glad someone finally did it, and no I am not joking

http://store.steampowered.com/app/632300/Hobo_Tough_Life/

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    IMHO Survival games just need to be taken to the next level. Love the premise, they are just too small at the moment.

They need a much more massive world with interesting places to visit, baddies to kill and a few thousand people per server to share it all with.

In other words they need to go full on MMORPG
    ManWithNoTanTheScavenger

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

laserit said:
    IMHO Survival games just need to be taken to the next level. Love the premise, they are just too small at the moment.

They need a much more massive world with interesting places to visit, baddies to kill and a few thousand people per server to share it all with.

I would like some examples of which games you are thinking are too small. Reason I say that is because some of the top titles I play are friggin massive

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    I wish Daybreak Games would finish H1Z1 just survive.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    Elsabolts said:
    I wish Daybreak Games would finish H1Z1 just survive.
    I heard that H1Z1 is one of the less good survial titles

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:

I would like some examples of which games you are thinking are too small. Reason I say that is because some of the top titles I play are friggin massive
    Big enough to accommodate thousands of people, hundreds of kingdoms concurrently. Large enough to get yourself lost.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    laserit said:

And permadeath....
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Not so much fed up as tired of the obvious cash grabs. I remember back in the day that the saying "one bad apple can ruin the bunch." Now-a-days it feels like most people search through the bunch of bad apples to try and find the little good ones that may remain. The problem with that is though, the outside may look good but it doesn't mean that the core isn't rotten.
    edited July 2017
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:

Big enough to accommodate thousands of people, hundreds of kingdoms concurrently. Large enough to get yourself lost.
    well you can absolutely do that last part but yeah not so much thousands of people and hundreds of kingdoms 

Just as a point of reference most of the games I play have more land mass and more to do then Skyrim

Albatroes said:
    Not so much fed up as tired of the obvious cash grabs. I remember back in the day that the saying "one bad apple can ruin the bunch." Now-a-days it feels like most people search through the bunch of bad apples to try and find the little good ones that may remain. The problem with that is though, the outside may look good but it doesn't mean that the core isn't rotten.
    can you give an example of a specific game? I ask because 'survial early access titles' is kinda my thing. I play them often and a lot of them and I havent experienced what your talking about.

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122
    I'm not keen on them, but not fed up either. It is no different from any other time a hot genre that isn't for me swamps the market. A lot of stuff I don't care about will get a lot of attention, and then the dust will settle and everything will go back to normal. This too shall pass.
    edited July 2017
    I'm not keen on them, but not fed up either. It is no different from any other time a hot genre that isn't for me swamps the market. A lot of stuff I don't care about will get a lot of attention, and then the dust will settle and everything will go back to normal. This too shall pass.
    ok...your avatar you have right now is of High Fantasy. Would you consider High Fantasy over done genre? that maybe more than 10 years is plenty?

my point being the 'survial genre' has been around 'at large' for about 3 years. all other genres have been around for decades

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

You mean like MMORPG has passed?
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    edited July 2017
    Definitely into the survival games. Love the sandbox, dino's, fantasy, zombies and building, too.  I just like the do-what-I-want, causal nature to them.

They must be popular. They keep making more.  But, everyone has certain likes and that's OKAY, too.   
    Azaron_Nightblade

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    Tiller said:
    It depends on the game I guess.
    I agree. I like Conan Exiles and I like Dark and Light (so far). They are closer to what I thought mmorpg's were supposed to be when I started out.

More like virtual worlds and less like "games" it seems to me.
    exactly. At this point, with the exception of a few mmorpg's, I'm almost prepared to say screw it, I'm only going to play these games.
    Not a fan of the needing to look for food. That part seems tedious to me. I have watched some streams where thats 30-60 min of game time. I keep asking myself, how is that fun? I do like the building and crafting side of it. 
    Kyleran
    Nanfoodle said:
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    Tiller said:
    It depends on the game I guess.
    I agree. I like Conan Exiles and I like Dark and Light (so far). They are closer to what I thought mmorpg's were supposed to be when I started out.

More like virtual worlds and less like "games" it seems to me.
    exactly. At this point, with the exception of a few mmorpg's, I'm almost prepared to say screw it, I'm only going to play these games.
    Not a fan of the needing to look for food. That part seems tedious to me. I have watched some streams where thats 30-60 min of game time. I keep asking myself, how is that fun? I do like the building and crafting side of it. 
    The idea behind that (depending on what game you are refering to specifically) is to incentivize farming

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Nanfoodle said:
    It is basically the same as grinding dailies unless you have the right setting and mechanics for it.

But it can be fun as well if you have the right mentality: http://atopthefourthwall.com/delicious-in-dungeon-ch-1/

My thoughts is that unless feeding yourself and the family is the point of the entire game spending 30-60 minutes on it sound insanely boring. A post apocalyptic game where gasoline, food and clean water is the currency, which you also need to keep your family alive, would be far less boring then grinding it in a dungeon styled fantasy game as an extra grind.

If XP and gear is your main point of the game putting too much work into things you need to get those will be boring. 5 minutes to find some food and max another 5 to cook/craft it now and then is fine in that kind of game. Also, the food finding thing need to be diverse and fun. Maybe you grow it at your own small farm or together with your guild having apple trees, pigs, turnips and so on it. Maybe you hunt rarer meat that keep you feed longer or maybe you trade it for other goods.

I am not against that you need to eat or drink in a MMORPG, but I don't want to spend to much time away from the actual point of the game doing pointless things, there are already enough of that in MMORPGs. But do it right and it can instead be fun.
    Kyleran