Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Citadel: Forged With Fire Interview - Blending MMOs & Open World Into One Experience - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageCitadel: Forged With Fire Interview - Blending MMOs & Open World Into One Experience - MMORPG.com

Citadel: Forged with Fire is ready to hit Early Access later this week. After a successful open beta last Saturday, we reached out to the team to learn more about the game that has many of our readers abuzz with anticipation. We spoke with Blue Isle Studios Creative Director Alex Tintor.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    MMOs and Open World should always be synonymous IMHO.
    CazrielAlomarTokkenThunder073XophMitaraQuicksandwesjrOctagon7711laseritand 5 others.

Joined - July 2004

• CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419

MMOs and Open World should always be synonymous IMHO.

Shows how far we've come that somehow MMO is not the same as an open world. In this developer's mind, they are actually two different things. Sounds like he thinks if doesn't meet a definition of 'sandbox' then it can't be open world.
    Thunder073RemyVorenderGrendizer73
  • ZandogZandog Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Suze Ford titled this, "Citadel - Blending MMOs & Open World Into One Experience" I promise you, this game presents neither of those features.
    SiphaedEnik
    Every time Goonsquad/SA/DS post salt on Star Citizen, I spend more money on it. Every time a mentally disturbed former backer or Elite CMDR toxic emo comments, I spend more money on it. Every time they refuse to answer why they spend so much time arguing about a game they don't even like, I spend more money on it. Want to watch the world burn because you can't have your way? You got whats coming to you.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Zandog said:

Suze Ford titled this, "Citadel - Blending MMOs & Open World Into One Experience" I promise you, this game presents neither of those features.

Because.......how do you know? Did you play the limited OBT on Saturday? Do you lunch with the dev team?

Give us a bit more than that.
    TokkenManWithNoTanAlomarMitaraSiphaedmrfoolOctagon7711EnikDelCabon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Not a bad game. More stable and smoother than D&L. But D&L has a more elaborate character creator. It also has a nice intro tutorial with a series of objectives to get you use to the game. I wonder if the single player mode will be available at launch? Also wonder how much both games will be open to player created mods?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

SBFord said:

Zandog said:

Because.......how do you know? Did you play the limited OBT on Saturday? Do you lunch with the dev team?

And you lunched with the dev? So are willing to vouch that this game is indeed an MMO with an Open World?
    ajkretchmerViper482SungHi
    Every time Goonsquad/SA/DS post salt on Star Citizen, I spend more money on it. Every time a mentally disturbed former backer or Elite CMDR toxic emo comments, I spend more money on it. Every time they refuse to answer why they spend so much time arguing about a game they don't even like, I spend more money on it. Want to watch the world burn because you can't have your way? You got whats coming to you.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Zandog said:
    SBFord said:
    Zandog said:
    And you lunched with the dev? So are willing to vouch that this game is indeed an MMO with an Open World?
    No! I haven't played it yet. I, until that point when I do, will take their word for it. Without evidence to the contrary, that seems prudent.
    ZandogSinfulChrismrfoolOctagon7711Viper482sschrupp

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I can't wait to get your unfettered, uninfluenced and unbiased opinion of what you experienced. Please add disclaimers if you feel it's pretty rough at this point in the alpha. Add me ingame as Trinity.
    MitaramrfoolGrendizer73
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    If they can't get it right the 1st time why give them more money the 2nd time ?
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Elsabolts said:
    If they can't get it right the 1st time why give them more money the 2nd time ?

Sorry this post was meant for the TESO post not here.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    edited July 2017
    Citadel is not a traditional MMORPG .... right, skip this one... Found this:
    Post edited by Mitara on
    wesjrxpiher
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 913
    Is this game on !! Its great ? wortH ???

• azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332

Torval said:

Zandog said:

I can't wait to get your unfettered, uninfluenced and unbiased opinion of what you experienced. Please add disclaimers if you feel it's pretty rough at this point in the alpha. Add me ingame as Trinity.

If you're going to make claims one way or the other then back them up. Whether she's right or wrong is irrelevant. You made a claim but never explained it. No one knows if you're trolling because edgy forum statements are cool or if you have experience and can articulate that clearly. So far you've just been confrontational and abrasive with no substance.

Agreed - it is the kind of statement that a salty D&L early backer would make...where is the backup to their claim? I'm not interested in either game but this is pretty amusing.
    [Deleted User]
  • wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506
    umm, your video made me want to buy it not skip it lol
    SBFordBruceYeemarganculosMitaraSovrath
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Well it seems to be off to a better start than Dark and Light.
    pantaroRexKushman
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

edited July 2017
    So it's selling at a discount for about $20.00 I liked the beta so will give it a go. Oh, and tough crowd. :neutral:

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KinringKinring Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Alex Tintor: Citadel is not a traditional MMORPG.

It is not a current MMORPG either...because it is not an MMO at all!!! Why is this article littered with the idea that this is an MMO? When I played the beta on Saturday the server limit was 40/server. This does not equate a Massively Multiplayer Online game! Snail Games tried to pull the same crap with DnL.
    ajkretchmerMitara

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

Kinring said:

Alex Tintor: Citadel is not a traditional MMORPG.

It is not a current MMORPG either...because it is not an MMO at all!!! Why is this article littered with the idea that this is an MMO? When I played the beta on Saturday the server limit was 40/server. This does not equate a Massively Multiplayer Online game! Snail Games tried to pull the same crap with DnL.

Marvel Heroes only allows 10 people in patrol zones and 20(?) in raid unless I'm not remembering correctly + those are small instanced zones not open world and that game is categorized as an MMORPG.

If 40 is the new norm for MMO status then it is still better than 10 or 20 imo.
    Octagon7711
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well i watched a bit in Twitch and didn't see anything good.

So then i saw Angry Joe playing it and that told me right away,he was paid to endorse it.

None the less i watched quite a bit,again didn't like what i saw.Part of the problem is at night the game is so incredibly dark you can't enjoy anything.

However the real kick in the ass was watching the fire spells.They were not terrible spam like in GW2 for example but they didn't really looked to be conjured either,just sort of flying out of the ugly chunk of wood pretending to be a club or staff.However that is not really the part the bothered me,it was the sound effect they gave the fire spell...my god are some of these dev/employees gamer's or clueless.

They gave the fire spell a SHOTGUN sound,are they clueless?Like wtf were they smoking.So some sound byte dude was sitting there,at his station thinking..man a shotgun sound would be so cool for a fire spell.

When i see/hear something like that,it tells me the team has some very clueless people.Sure you can say .."it is only one sound byte,no big deal"yeah true but it makes me wonder how much more of the game is like that.
    Mitara

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BlazefireBlazefire Member UncommonPosts: 44
    I tried the beta, and was having a decent time... however the thing that turned me off was the horrible rust-like community that ruins all of these survival type games. There are PvE servers I believe... but for me having to completely remove the element of PvP in a game where it is largely based around these encounters just makes it not worth it anymore. The alternative is to have all of your progress wiped constantly, and most often it happens while you're sleeping =b

I really wish these developers would find a better way to implement PvP in these games, which would discourage random ganking... and provide a reason to have more balanced fights. I think the system of having no rules at all is the wrong approach.
  • Psym0nPsym0n Member UncommonPosts: 283
    edited July 2017
    I've tried the game yesterday, really like the concept. The problem is that I have never played any games like it (Rust etc).

Could people explain how the server system works? I've had massive lag spikes (11ms in all games) and when I changed server I had to start over. The lag will be fixed I guess but do you always have to start from scratch anytime you join a server?

How does this work with storing stuff and building. And how can people with 2-3 hours playtime a day get a grip if they have to start all skills from 1 again.
    Psym0n said:
    I've tried the game yesterday, really like the concept. The problem is that I have never played any games like it (Rust etc).

Could people explain how the server system works? I've had massive lag spikes (11ms in all games) and when I changed server I had to start over. The lag will be fixed I guess but do you always have to start from scratch anytime you join a server?

How does this work with storing stuff and building. And how can people with 2-3 hours playtime a day get a grip if they have to start all skills from 1 again.
    During beta I had to make a note of which server I was on so I could find it again and continue progression with the same character.  When I created a private server there is a list of the server I created and so it was easy to go too. 
    SBFordPsym0n[Deleted User]

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    Correct me if I'm wrong but this game is now accessable as of yesterday? says its in Early Access. Also debating about this or Dark and Light..
    TheScavenger

imageimage

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Can someone say how performance is like? I have this in my shopping cart and am on the fence between buying or passing...