Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Brightlocker Wants to Connect You to Your Games - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageBrightlocker Wants to Connect You to Your Games - MMORPG.com

Brightlocker is a new game development, game sharing, game funding, game streaming, game everything platform from a group of industry veterans based out of Austin Texas. What is it exactly? Try to imagine one service that connects the capabilities and functions of Kickstarter, Twitch, Social Media, and Private Forums all in one place. It’s a service that wants to connect players and devs in deeper ways than any before it, to let both work together to foster great games on a more tangible level.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    Intriguing indeed.
    Kyleran
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Torval said:
    I'm not interested in yet another new service that means I have to switch services and even worse try to get my friends and family to switch services. I already have to put up with the disruption Google, Microsoft, and Amazon cause by changing, adding, and dropping services.

Why would I switch from Discord. Why do I need or want crowd funding integration? Why would I want an all-in-one one size fits all solution?
    There's no switching. It's an additional platform that's more involved that something like say, Kickstarter. Not a replacement for Discord.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Torval said:
    I'm not interested in yet another new service that means I have to switch services and even worse try to get my friends and family to switch services. I already have to put up with the disruption Google, Microsoft, and Amazon cause by changing, adding, and dropping services.

Why would I switch from Discord. Why do I need or want crowd funding integration? Why would I want an all-in-one one size fits all solution?

Ummmmm, why wouldn't you? If I could handle my insurance, banking, cable, and Internet through Wal-Mart, I feel like I would be much more fulfilled :) 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited July 2017
    Just what the world needs - easier access to Kickstarter.

As an anti-social hermit, I see no use for Brightlocker.
    kinkyJalepenoKyleranMendel
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Seems focused more for folks active in the crowd funding scene, of which I'm really not.

(Well at least not until I see the results of my first crowdfunded MMO, Camelot Unchained.)

BillMurphyPhry

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• urbanmechurbanmech Member UncommonPosts: 200
    So a better way to push "early access" games that will never be finished. No thanks. Can we have the old way of making games back again please?
  • Hashcow101Hashcow101 Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Yeah I find this usless crap just as the other platform the mentioned a while back that integrates with other platforms this is just more bloatware.
    Asm0deus

"May Your Head Explode And Blood Swell From The Wound"
    - Hashcow

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    Don't really want it, don't really need it. Now if we could get rid of totally everything on the planet except Steam and Discord i'd be perfectly content.
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    @OP You should have marked this as an advertisement considering your last sentence. ;)

Sounds like a cash shop on top of games. That gold stuff doesn't sound great and buying votes ? Hmm, ok, no fan of that either.
    https://support.brightlocker.com/hc/en-us/articles/206484436-What-Are-Votes-and-Gold-

But I am not a great kickstarter/crowd funding fan anyway. Only ever supported one crowd funding game and that one has yet to be released. I also don't really believe in this "users talking to developers to influence development" stuff. The most vocal people are usually not the representing majority of people who actually play games.

TLDR; I pass. :)

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Something else to spend money on that is not a game.  ROFL, what fool thought up this idea?

The internet is loaded with so much complete nonsense like this and you had to advertise it?
    Asm0deus
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Okay I am interested how does this work you need gold to vote?

Or is the gold that is used for games actual real money that tis being sent to the developers of the games or is a percentage of that being skimmed off the top by bright locker?
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    edited July 2017
    Heh more unneeded bloatware.... to try and make money off the sheep that want to be "cool".
    Ozmodan

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    It doesn't seem particularly innovative.

Developers that are engaged with their audience are already doing all that (and more). The promise of one streamlined platform seems naive. It's not as if a developer can move all their content to any one platform, without still using the others. You still need to post on Twitter, Facebook, and Youtube. So this will likely end up being another platform, not the platform.

The idea of "influencing" development also seems to be misleading. I am all for community engagement (the more the better), but we are yet to see a system where letting your community make development decisions is a good thing. In fact, it is almost always a recipe for disaster, especially with crowd-funded titles. People rarely know what they want, and are even worse at expressing it. People may think they want more of X and less of Y, but actually adjusting a game based on that feedback rarely makes people happier.

The situations where this works is when the developer already has 4 features lined up and then lets the community "choose" which one to implement first.

I'm not here to bash anyone's dream. If the people want to make this platform and people want to use it, go for it. For me personally though, I'd prefer seeing a product focusing on one part of the process and making something really innovative and disruptive in that space.
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Don't really want it, don't really need it. Now if we could get rid of totally everything on the planet except Steam and Discord i'd be perfectly content.
    This is a remarkably dangerous attitude to hold. Yes, we don't need every game publisher and their mother coming out with new DRM platforms, but we really do need some actual competition on the PC marketplace. Competition breeds innovation and helps reign in customer unfriendly business practices. And frankly, Steam has a near monopoly on the PC distribution market as is.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    kind of like pre-early access with more player interaction with developers.

could work nicely

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Torval said:
    Renoaku said:
    Okay I am interested how does this work you need gold to vote?

Or is the gold that is used for games actual real money that tis being sent to the developers of the games or is a percentage of that being skimmed off the top by bright locker?
    It uses Denuvo. ;)
    Ouch!