Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Massive Russian and Brazilian Monthly Price Spike Reported - Final Fantasy XIV - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageMassive Russian and Brazilian Monthly Price Spike Reported - Final Fantasy XIV - MMORPG.com

Final Fantasy XIV News - According to a post on the Final Fantasy XIV forum, Brazilian and Russian players have had a massive monthly price increase on Steam. One poster has discovered that monthly sub fees have gone from about $9 per month to $13.40 per month. Meanwhile, Russian players have seen a price increase from about $5 per month to $15 per month. According to Square Enix customer support, this was done to "bring prices using these currencies in-line with the global pricing structure".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    cyka blyah
    Viterzgironelesslight3dom
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    The Russians paid 5$ a month so far?

Lucky Guys
    ViterzgirScellow3dom
    Harbinger of Fools
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Dakeru said:

Lucky Guys
    Please. It's based on the relative income of the region. Don't be obtuse.
    KyleranunfilteredJWXophKoriant

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Vorch21Vorch21 Member UncommonPosts: 58
    edited July 2017
    Believe me, russians are NOT lucky at all..(by political/historical and economical reasons).
    SBFordViterzgir3dom
    SBFord said:
    Dakeru said:

Lucky Guys
    Ok Ok but surely they aren't the first to get hit by price increases.
    I remember SE asking me if I don't want to make use of their convenient new service where I can pay the FF11 sub directly in Euro instead of Dollar.

I agreed and they simply swapped the $ sign for € which meant paying 3-5$ more back then.

Convenient indeed.. for SE
    Harbinger of Fools
  • ViterzgirViterzgir Member UncommonPosts: 19
    I think that none of the developers ever interested in purchasing power (I hope I used that correctly) of buyers from Ukraine\Russia\Belorussia\etc. You can buy some minimal food basket for $15 for a few days. And believe me, that's how majority eat. They cannot afford more. And since most of players are like 16-25 yo, for 25yo working guys it's hard but bearable, but for unemployed teen $15 is HUGE. Students are often so low on money, I personally knew few guys who ate Pigeons meat because they had no money. Fucking Pigeons.
    SBFord
  • CygiCygi Member RarePosts: 257

SBFord said:

Dakeru said:

Lucky Guys

And it only happens in their country.

In Poland we have income from the east, but prices from the west.

So now you see why I "whine" about D3 necro price...
    StoneRoses
  • LiljnaLiljna Member UncommonPosts: 274
    Viterzgir said:
    I think that none of the developers ever interested in purchasing power (I hope I used that correctly) of buyers from Ukraine\Russia\Belorussia\etc. You can buy some minimal food basket for $15 for a few days. And believe me, that's how majority eat. They cannot afford more. And since most of players are like 16-25 yo, for 25yo working guys it's hard but bearable, but for unemployed teen $15 is HUGE. Students are often so low on money, I personally knew few guys who ate Pigeons meat because they had no money. Fucking Pigeons.
    I don't see what's wrong with eating pigeon. It's can be delicacy.
    natpick
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    The Canadian to US exchange rate has caused me to say no to the subscription model. Specially since most new games are of the MMORPG-lite model.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Well the obvious solution would be consumers in both countries unhappy with the hikes to cancel their subs until the prices come back down.

Not likely to happen.
    Viterzgir

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited July 2017
    If the sub is going up this much for them, I'd hate to see the cash shop price increase.
  • ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    SBFord said:
    Dakeru said:

Lucky Guys
    Lots of folks in NA on or below the poverty line pay that full $15 a month (more if you are Canadian) to play some games, like wow. I remember myself 10 years ago, paying for wow, but going hungry at lunch. There are poor people everywhere. The Russians were getting a HELL of a break, that we NEVER did. 
    SBFordViterzgirzanfire
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
    Nyctelios said:
    ianicus said:
    SBFord said:
    Dakeru said:

Lucky Guys
    Lots of folks in NA on or below the poverty line pay that full $15 a month (more if you are Canadian) to play some games, like wow. I remember myself 10 years ago, paying for wow, but going hungry at lunch. There are poor people everywhere. The Russians were getting a HELL of a break, that we NEVER did. 
    Your ignorance is astonishing. To claim that Russians had a "break" while you "suffered" in USA is mind blowing.
    But is he really ignorant?
    I fully accept the comparisons you gave about prices and I agree that SE is being unfair towards you.

But what he said about going hungry seems to be a direct reference to eating pidgeons in Russia.

When someone tells me he has to go hungry or eat pidgeons just to play WoW then I feel it's a matter of being bad at picking priorities.
    xyzercrimeAlbatroes
    Harbinger of Fools
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Well, if they were getting a "break", they aren't anymore.  Now Russians and Brazillians apparently get the worse of both worlds.  Good times.
    SBFordKyleran
  • exile02exile02 Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Gameing is luxury- never forget that.
    SBFord
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Dakeru said:
    Nyctelios said:
    ianicus said:
    SBFord said:
    Dakeru said:

Lucky Guys
    Your ignorance is astonishing. To claim that Russians had a "break" while you "suffered" in USA is mind blowing.
    I fully accept the comparisons you gave about prices and I agree that SE is being unfair towards you.

But what he said about going hungry seems to be a direct reference to eating pidgeons in Russia.

When someone tells me he has to go hungry or eat pidgeons just to play WoW then I feel it's a matter of being bad at picking priorities.
    Would agree. If it comes to something that extreme, its called having an addiction and help is available.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Albatroes said:
    Dakeru said:
    Nyctelios said:
    ianicus said:
    SBFord said:
    Dakeru said:

Lucky Guys

Would agree. If it comes to something that extreme, its called having an addiction and help is available.

Addiction is a strong word we seem to be diluting these days with this type of relation. Let's say compulsion. Saying it's an addiction is like saying that my niece is addicted to Snapchat because she has to do these "streaks" every day. I asked her why she does it once, and she said "Well, I've done it for over a year and if I don't then I'll lose it." It's not an addiction, it's compulsive behavior which is based on our fear of losing something. Same if we actually play a subscription MMO. Many feel that they NEED to play it because they're paying for it and, also, because they've played for so long that they can't just stop playing now! Addiction means that there is a physical withdrawal from not doing it. If that's the case with an MMO, then there are probably bigger issues. 
    Kyleran

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    edited July 2017
    Well .. increasing the sub price is not a problem, but how SE handled this ... well .. I see why people are angry.

This should have been announced earlier , like 1 month ago , to give players enough time to .. do their math , think if they want to continue or not, etc.

This is the first bad move I see from SE since...forever? Hope they will compensate somehow .. the players in those 2 regions.

..and keep political out of games you !*#'s :)
    SBFord

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

IceAge said:
    Well .. increasing the sub price is not a problem, but how SE handled this ... well .. I see why people are angry.

This should have been announced earlier , like 1 month ago , to give players enough time to .. do their math , think if they want to continue or not, etc.

This is the first bad move I see from SE since...forever? Hope they will compensate somehow .. the players in those 2 regions.

..and keep political out of games you !*#'s :)
    This is probably the best post here.
    What SE did wasn't cool but most of the post are more like "omg feel the suffering and the poverty of the world!"
    ianicus
    Harbinger of Fools
  • HellsprodigyHellsprodigy Member UncommonPosts: 27

Viterzgir said:

Then don't play video games if it's not in there price range. I know other countries have it harder but there is no excuse to have to eat poorly because someone chooses to play the game. Also if a teen can't afford and there parents can't either then they are just SOL imo.
    ianicus
  • ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    Nyctelios said:
    ianicus said:
    SBFord said:
    Dakeru said:

Lucky Guys
    LOL YOUR ignorance is astonishing. To claim that just because someone lives in north america they have it made, is ignorant and insulting to those who rely on social assistance, food banks, and other forms of support, and still barely get by.

In the end thou we are talking about a GAME here. people choose to pay for it, its a god damn luxury. Unlike food and housing. If it goes up a few bucks don't expect me to shed a god damn tear, ITS A LUXURY. One I chose to pay for when I could barely afford to feed myself let alone house myself (probably to my detriment). There is poverty everywhere and what people decide to spend what little they have on is their business. Cant afford it? dont buy it, but for gods sakes dont come crying to the internet, another luxury you pay for.

PS I live in canada not the us, way to assume.
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403

CrazKanuk said:

Albatroes said:

Dakeru said:

Nyctelios said:

ianicus said:

SBFord said:

Dakeru said:

Lucky Guys

Addiction is a strong word we seem to be diluting these days with this type of relation. Let's say compulsion. Saying it's an addiction is like saying that my niece is addicted to Snapchat because she has to do these "streaks" every day. I asked her why she does it once, and she said "Well, I've done it for over a year and if I don't then I'll lose it." It's not an addiction, it's compulsive behavior which is based on our fear of losing something. Same if we actually play a subscription MMO. Many feel that they NEED to play it because they're paying for it and, also, because they've played for so long that they can't just stop playing now! Addiction means that there is a physical withdrawal from not doing it. If that's the case with an MMO, then there are probably bigger issues. 

To me mmorpg is an addiction if I don't play for few days I get mad quick and everyone asks me why in bad mood.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Steam has their own sanctions on Russia xD
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter