Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard Takes Aim, Closes Newly Opened TBC Private Server - World of Warcraft News

Comments

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766

Watching people idiotsplain how Blizzard somehow doesn't have the right to their own code because it's old or because they hate whatever WoW is now, helps me understand how the USA is in it's current state.

It's absolutely ridiculous. If you care so much about a tight nit community how about not build it on top of  a platform that doesn't belong to you without out some provisions. If you're going to be a pirate at least be one with sense not a peon who can't recognize that they're ARE a pirate.

I understand the nostalgia and the desire to go back to how things were but if you wish to bet 4 years on clear cut copyright infringement maybe next time make the thing invite only w/ Fight Club rules.

Sheesh.

maybe go read the DMCA before accusing others of being idiots. . .
    Gdemami
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Tyvolus4 said:

Hatefull said:

Wizardry said:

Vexiusx said:

Good job blizzard, these people are nothing but ordinary thieves most of them trying to make money off someones else hard work trough "donation gear". Good job!

Not true,i know of some who run the servers out of their own pocket,own money and do not make a single dime and REFUSE any donations of any kind.

Then the fine line crossed is what it comes.I say this because a lot of these servers are running what we could say are modded versions ,so not the same game.The problem lies in the assets,that is someone else's work not the private servers.

IMO if they want to mimic Wow in some way,change the skins,change the formula/equations,make enough changes  that would make it no different than Blizzard copying the same template as EQ/EQ2.That is all Blizzard did was copy SOE and add in their own assets and even after Wow was released Blizzard continued to copy SOE ideas an incorporate them into their game.

Not true, they took ideas from several games that were out (and relatively popular) at the time, they said this in several press releases. This fantasy that they copied EQ1is just hogwash conjured up by people that didn't even game at the time. Since you brought it up, they also realized what people did NOT like about those other games and got rid of that. The only valid argument I have sene to date is they (Blizz) got their idea to start Warcraft from Warhammer, which you would need to be blind or completely ignorant to gaming prior to WoW to not realize there is a modicum to truth in that.

All in all is was a masterful piece of game design and marketing. One thing people seem to over look all to often (again as I suspect they weren't into gaming at the time) was that WoW was the first game to use a lot of marketing successfully.

At any rate, intellectual property laws were established for a reason, WoW was scrutinized well beyond release and no theft was determined. Essentially negating your "they copied EQ" argument. Theft is theft, and if you get caught, no matter how noble you envision yourself to be, you are still just a petty thief and should be treated as such.

lol, they did copy EQ, big time. They even consulted some of the top guilds from EQ in making the game. You can accept that as fact or not, its up to you. They also copied WarHammer. Top brass at blizz even admits they are huge fans. Blizz has made a living off copying other peoples ideas and made a real nice living from it. Thats why it was so good to see what valve did to them with DOTA 2.
    I won't take it as fact as it is not a fact. Did they take ideas from several games? Of course they did, they SAID they did that. But copy, nope.  How many days have you had to wait for an open world boss to spawn in WoW? none, just a few minutes (at most) yeah thought so.

As far as talking to (your words) top guilds in EQ, they may have done that, I won't argue as to if they did or did not as I was not in EQ at the time WoW was being developed. I did, however, follow wow quite closely as did a few million other people and I know what they published back then. There is a huge difference between taking a good idea and making it your own and copying someone elses work. Go to college, you will learn that over and again freshman year.

I imagine there are many many developers out there that are fans of Warhammer (pick a version) that does not mean they are interested in making a clone of the Warhammer games. As an aside, I would be happy if anyone could just pull off a decent WH MMORPG game, however, I digress and I admitted that that was the closest to copying anything that Blizz did when making WoW. 

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

waynejr2 said:
    Tyvolus4 said:

Hatefull said:

Wizardry said:

Vexiusx said:

Good job blizzard, these people are nothing but ordinary thieves most of them trying to make money off someones else hard work trough "donation gear". Good job!

Not true,i know of some who run the servers out of their own pocket,own money and do not make a single dime and REFUSE any donations of any kind.

Then the fine line crossed is what it comes.I say this because a lot of these servers are running what we could say are modded versions ,so not the same game.The problem lies in the assets,that is someone else's work not the private servers.

IMO if they want to mimic Wow in some way,change the skins,change the formula/equations,make enough changes  that would make it no different than Blizzard copying the same template as EQ/EQ2.That is all Blizzard did was copy SOE and add in their own assets and even after Wow was released Blizzard continued to copy SOE ideas an incorporate them into their game.

Not true, they took ideas from several games that were out (and relatively popular) at the time, they said this in several press releases. This fantasy that they copied EQ1is just hogwash conjured up by people that didn't even game at the time. Since you brought it up, they also realized what people did NOT like about those other games and got rid of that. The only valid argument I have sene to date is they (Blizz) got their idea to start Warcraft from Warhammer, which you would need to be blind or completely ignorant to gaming prior to WoW to not realize there is a modicum to truth in that.

All in all is was a masterful piece of game design and marketing. One thing people seem to over look all to often (again as I suspect they weren't into gaming at the time) was that WoW was the first game to use a lot of marketing successfully.

At any rate, intellectual property laws were established for a reason, WoW was scrutinized well beyond release and no theft was determined. Essentially negating your "they copied EQ" argument. Theft is theft, and if you get caught, no matter how noble you envision yourself to be, you are still just a petty thief and should be treated as such.

lol, they did copy EQ, big time. They even consulted some of the top guilds from EQ in making the game. You can accept that as fact or not, its up to you. They also copied WarHammer. Top brass at blizz even admits they are huge fans. Blizz has made a living off copying other peoples ideas and made a real nice living from it. Thats why it was so good to see what valve did to them with DOTA 2.

Yes, and in a just world it would invalidate their exclusive rights and make shutting this down unenforceable.
    yeah, and in a just world you would have to back up your bullshit with facts but alas that isn't the case.
    KyleranPhryForgrimmpostlarvalMrMelGibson

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited July 2017
    Blizzard should do just like they did with the Gold Sellers...

If you can't beat em join em.

Blizzard wil never stop all the EMU's. It might as well make Blizzard money, rather than have it cost Blizzard money.
    Hatefull[Deleted User]TamanousNildenKumaponHeraseGdemamiTheScavenger

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I don't understand the argument. 

Blizzard doesn't want to run legacy servers. That doesn't justify anyone else to pirate their product. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm all in for living outside the law. But to break it, then expect everyone else to play along is just pathetic. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • ckotocckotoc Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Why dont they just make a new game similar to wow instead of trying to steal the original.Its like i steal the lyrics and music from a famous artist and put my face on the artwork.
    Kyleran
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    oooobvious was obvious.
    told ya before, and i bet i was not the only mystic to see that comming.

the stars spoke of this very open, or incase you belive in it, history did too :P

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited July 2017
    My time with each blizzard expansion gets shorter and shorter, I wish they would work on wow 2 or a new MMO. Im a big fan of Blizzard and i hate the fact behind world of warcraft overwatch is there main focus, I think its such a shit game
    [Deleted User]Gdemami
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Gorwe said:
    And yet Warmane / Molten is untouchable...how come? Loopholes? ;)
    Likely they are located somewhere which won't enforce Blizzards court orders or their principals make sure they can't easily be located to serve legal paperwork.
    Gorwe

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    edited July 2017
    Horusra said:
    Galadourn said:
    I want a vanilla server that will follow an alternate path of progression... sell the rights of vanilla WoW to the old Devs and let them take it from 1.12 to wherever they think would be best, not that shit we got with each expansion and level increases...

This is why there will never be a vanilla server till WoW is in maintenance mode from Blizzard.
    But I don't want the current Dev team involved, if they do the game will flop like the live version we now have. I want the OLD team involved...
    Kyleran
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Torval said:
    Galadourn said:
    Horusra said:
    Galadourn said:
    I want a vanilla server that will follow an alternate path of progression... sell the rights of vanilla WoW to the old Devs and let them take it from 1.12 to wherever they think would be best, not that shit we got with each expansion and level increases...

This is why there will never be a vanilla server till WoW is in maintenance mode from Blizzard.
    But I don't want the current Dev team involved, if they do the game will flop like the live version we now have. I want the OLD team involved...
    So not only do they have to publish a Vanilla server they have to rehire all their old team. You just moved the goalposts from maybe to wtf.
    Preach it. I mean.....

Besides, going "retro" would mean that nothing would be changed from the old versions. It would just be the same old same old. Who cares who the devs are, right?

*facepalm*
    DistopiaMrMelGibson[Deleted User]KyleranHatefull

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Torval said:
    Galadourn said:
    Horusra said:
    Galadourn said:

So not only do they have to publish a Vanilla server they have to rehire all their old team. You just moved the goalposts from maybe to wtf.
    They won't be releasing regular vanilla servers anyway, so it costs nothing to dream on :)
  • DisantiaDisantia Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Blizzard putting in legacy servers now is just a waste for them. They KNOW legacy servers will bring in some money, they're just keeping it in their pocket til they need it. I'm pretty sure Blizzard said they're already working on a couple more expansions, so if they tossed out legacy now they would probably lose out on a lot of money from people not buying the newest expansion and just playing on legacy servers.
  • VexiusxVexiusx Member UncommonPosts: 212

Vexiusx said:

Vex you are a very close minded individual who if played WoW at all did not so on any level of mastery especially the first 3 Expansions.

If Blizz is going to close down private servers, then they need to consistently close down ALL private servers!
    I don't know how you can come to the conclusion that i'm a close minded individual, cause i despise people stealing other peoples hard investments/work? I think that's a common thing that you get taught when you have proper parents raising you.

Also your statement that you think i don't play WoW let me help you shatter that dream, i've been playing since 1 month into vanilla release, have raided MC/BWL/AQ20&40 & Naxx during my vanilla time and have been playing since then up till now with the only real big expansion i missed was MoP cause i didn't like the setting.

They are trying to close down ALL servers but due to people hosting the servers in country's where the laws are very different it's hard for them to close them all but they are trying and every private server that they can take down is a victory in my eyes.

Do remember that blizzard had to invest millions on a gamble that people would even enjoy to play a game like WoW and would pay for a game like that, their investment and hard work paid off but not for other people to steal and then add "Donation gear" and get some easy cash themselves. Also don't bring me that bullshit that they said they won't ever charge people either a few months into the release when it's a success they ask for "server maintenance donations" or do add gear donations anyways cause it's already popular anyways. And even if they decide not to it remains theft which is illegal no discussion possible.
  • MeriikMeriik Member UncommonPosts: 60
    edited July 2017
    The problem with WoW is their changes to the game are so drastic that it's like you're not even playing the same game anymore. I loved playing WoW for a good close to 10 years, almost $2,000 dollars, now I can't play said game I paid $2,000 dollars for. Blizzard is a fantastic company that makes great games and deserves every penny but I would like to have some support for legacy play, for the older fans who supported the game. TBC imo was the best time period in WoW, would be great to play it again, but is probably just a pipe dream at this point.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Meriik said:
    The problem with WoW is their changes to the game are so drastic that it's like you're not even playing the same game anymore. I loved playing WoW for a good close to 10 years, almost $2,000 dollars, now I can't play said game I paid $2,000 dollars for. Blizzard is a fantastic company that makes great games and deserves every penny but I would like to have some support for legacy play, for the older fans who supported the game. TBC imo was the best time period in WoW, would be great to play it again, but is probably just a pipe dream at this point.
    Eventually laws will change and allow users to play the game they bought into.
    For now because they pay copyright money even as little as it is the law protects the developer 100% and the user not at all,this is way too one sided.Then to further protect themselves they have their high paid lawyers right up some clause about your gaming experience will change.

The law right now does not seem to care about ethics,only easy to handle straight forward law like copyright.I am more than certain it will move slightly toward protecting the user,the developer does not deserve to have it's cake and eat it too,the user deserves some rights.
    Therein lies another law that 100% needs to be changed,the part where devs have you basically waive all your rights if you want to play the game.
    Imagine if our entire society worked off that same type of ethics,you would not be protected in any purchase,you would waive all your rights if you want to buy said item,the world would be a mess,yet here we are game devs seem to get special privileges.

KyleranHatefullunfilteredJWFrodoFragins

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    I'm baffled by the fact that Blizzard is so resistant to making vanilla servers work.  It would bring back many players and it would give current players something to do while waiting for new content.
    [Deleted User]JDis25Herase
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Ignorant airs of moral superiority smell strong in this thread.
    [Deleted User]TamanousIselinunfilteredJWMrMelGibson

• LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    I completely agree with this step honestly. I don't understand how people think they can pull off stuff like this. Let me say I don't like wow in any way, I think its severely overrated but lets face it. Its still a current, running game with a healthy population and an active development cycle. You cant take something still working and make it your own without the owner coming against you. I'm surprised this hasn't happened to others like project 1999. 

This is the same as pirating but doing it in the public for all to see and expecting nothing to happen. MMOs are very different than a standard movie, game or item you buy in the store. The movie you buy doesn't have a server set up with updates and content that is continually released. It doesn't have a team behind it that works on all that, it doesn't have people dedicated to it at least not like mmos do. 
    SBFordGhavrigg
  • vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398

You don't want a private server of old content. You think you do, but you don't.

I comptely disagree. I have been playing Elysium for a while. It is so much better than current wow or really any other MMO. I never played vanilla Wow before so it is not nostalgia. I was never into wow but I am sick of all MMO's being easy mode so I tried it. I play the PvE server and am having a blast. It is hard and slow and I love it. At level 7 if you get a gear upgrade it makes a huge difference and you will be using it for a while because leveling is slow. I can;t tell you how great that is. Dungeons are also challenging even at low levels. Gear matters while leveling, what a concept.
    [Deleted User]deniterunfilteredJW
  • BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482
    ppl have to realize that the wow of old isnt ran by or "like" the wow of now and they are totally 2 diff games..hence why blizz of now wants and trys to kill any kind of resemblance of "old" type wow and dont want to run nostalgia servers

• koyutakotakoyutakota Member UncommonPosts: 24
    heres the thing if ya gonna open a private server dont publicize it openly especially if its company is headhunting for private servers.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    At least Wizardry put in his 2 useless cents.
    GhavriggHatefullMrMelGibson
    Wizardry said:
    Meriik said:
    Eventually laws will change and allow users to play the game they bought into.
    For now because they pay copyright money even as little as it is the law protects the developer 100% and the user not at all,this is way too one sided.Then to further protect themselves they have their high paid lawyers right up some clause about your gaming experience will change.

The law right now does not seem to care about ethics,only easy to handle straight forward law like copyright.I am more than certain it will move slightly toward protecting the user,the developer does not deserve to have it's cake and eat it too,the user deserves some rights.
    Therein lies another law that 100% needs to be changed,the part where devs have you basically waive all your rights if you want to play the game.
    Imagine if our entire society worked off that same type of ethics,you would not be protected in any purchase,you would waive all your rights if you want to buy said item,the world would be a mess,yet here we are game devs seem to get special privileges.

Yeah because video games are a necessary purchase. They aren't, they are a luxury purchase that is in no way required. I doubt very much, in the instance you are using here, that the laws will ever change. I can see an argument for crowd funding, but as far as Blizzard (or any company for that matter) publishing a game, then expanding and or changing it as they see fit, I doubt very seriously that will ever happen.

If I were sat there, as the COE of Blizzard and the law said as soon as I publish this game, I have to do what the players want, or face legal ramifications, I would never publish a game, I would just charge you to play BETA for years, then when the profits ran out I would pull the plug. Much like any sane person would do. So as far as legislating your take over of someone else's IP, that is never going to happen.
    KyleranSBFord

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    vtravi said:

You don't want a private server of old content. You think you do, but you don't.

I comptely disagree. I have been playing Elysium for a while. It is so much better than current wow or really any other MMO. I never played vanilla Wow before so it is not nostalgia. I was never into wow but I am sick of all MMO's being easy mode so I tried it. I play the PvE server and am having a blast. It is hard and slow and I love it. At level 7 if you get a gear upgrade it makes a huge difference and you will be using it for a while because leveling is slow. I can;t tell you how great that is. Dungeons are also challenging even at low levels. Gear matters while leveling, what a concept.
    He was using the words by the Blizzard dev on players thinking they want vanilla servers but they really don't.  I think you missed the joke dude