Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Intel vs Ryzen

OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
Gonna need to build a new PC due to mine not turning on. Anyways i have a general build in mind just wondering what everyone thinks about intel vs ryzen now its been out for some time.
When all is said and done, more is always said than done.

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Same with AMD like past +5 years or so. Ryzen is good for workstations and now sort of servers even...

Next gen intel(i5 becomes i3 and i7 becomes i5)wipes AMD out of desktop market.
    rasgan514Asm0deusExcession
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,403
    edited July 2017
    Depends what you want, for me ryzen beats the i5's for general gaming especially if you like to do multiple things at once like streaming while gaming etc  but for now the i7 is still better I think at least until games catch up and actually use more than 4 cores effectively.

Another thing to consider is that its considerably cheaper to build a ryzen build over an intel build which you may or may not see an actual improvement on other than in benchmarks.

Personally I will be building a ryzen build for my son but I am waiting a little longer so some of the new gen board issues get ironed out.
    Gdemami

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    I7 is the best if you've got money for it, but if you don't then I think Ryzen is a bit better choice than I5. I5 has slight performance advantage in current games, but there are already enough games that can use more than 4 simultaneous threads coming out that Ryzen is more future proof than I5.
    Gdemami

• NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392
    I just went from AMD to an i5-7600k and I couldn't be happier. AMD just doesn't compare when it comes to gaming.
    That being said, I have no personal experience with Ryzen. 
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    An i5-7600 system or an i7-7700 system is the best choice if you primarily game, like me.  I have an i7-6700 system that replaced my i5-3470 system, and I have zero complaints.  If you are hopeful for PC VR to be a real thing soon, then an 8 core 16 thread Ryzen will probably be a better choice.  But I really don't see VR taking off for at least a bare minimum of 3 years, so if I was a betting man that played games, I would go Intel.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    I game and stream btw.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    GladDog said:
    An i5-7600 system or an i7-7700 system is the best choice if you primarily game, like me.  I have an i7-6700 system that replaced my i5-3470 system, and I have zero complaints.  If you are hopeful for PC VR to be a real thing soon, then an 8 core 16 thread Ryzen will probably be a better choice.  But I really don't see VR taking off for at least a bare minimum of 3 years, so if I was a betting man that played games, I would go Intel.
    VR games don't need significantly more cores than other games, and I7 is still the best solution.

The match is below I7 on whether 6 core 12 thread Ryzen beats I5 or not.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    The CPU is rarely ever the bottleneck. Even when it is you are looking at over 100 fps. However, if you are talking about streaming quality. More CPU cores with dedicated software will produce better results.
    edited July 2017
    Would be nice if you stopped posting misinforming bullshit. Not holding my breath though.
    No bullshit, your ignorance.

The move has already started with Pentium Kaby Lake. Coffee Lake is then further moving 4 cores to i3 line and 4 hyperthreaded cores to i5 line.

Or you can go with speculation of 6 core i5, either way, compared to skylake, there is essentially a jump in CPU tiering.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited July 2017
    If you stream and use a CPU encoder, then Ryzen offers a great deal for a lower cost.

You can get an R7 8 core/16 thread Ryzen machine for roughly the same price as an i7 4C/8T. It won't have quite the same benchmarks gaming (although close), but in terms of software encoding it will be head over heels better because you have twice the available resources to do it.
    edited July 2017
    Wrong. For instance, the I5 line will go up to 6 cores, but no hyperthreading in Coffee Lake.
    I suggest you get a dictionary and revisit the meaning of the word "ignorance", you may discover something about yourself, who knows.
    That is still just a speculation. iirc, only officially confirmed cpu is 6+6 i7.

In either case, no matter whether there will be 6 cores or 4+4, it is moving relatively to previous gen entire tiers.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Just got done reading a really good review comparing the Ryzen 1600 to the Intel chips just comparing performance in 50 games.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1450-core-i7-vs-ryzen-5-hexa-core/

The I 7 7700 clearly owns the 7800x, in fact the Ryzen 1600 pretty much out does the 7800x.  They compare normal and overclocked scores.  It makes a pretty good case for the Ryzen chip being very competitive.

Certainly points out the new X line up from Intel is just not very good for games when you consider how much more expensive the chip and motherboard is.
    GdemamiOhhPaigey
  • intrinscintrinsc Member UncommonPosts: 98
    I don't think it's even worth it for someone like me, running at 4k, to upgrade from my 6700k. If I were to upgrade anything it'd be a next-gen 1080ti-tier card. 2080ti or whatever Nvidia calls it.
    AmazingAvery