Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dark And Light vs Citadel: Forged With Fire

JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
edited July 2017 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Citadel Forged with fire will be free OPEN BETA for 15 hours on steam starting at 9 am eastern Murican time.
  • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

Post edited by JeffSpicoli on
Dark & Light vs Citadel
  1. Which of these D & D Inspired survival games will you play?14 votes
    1. Dark & Light
      28.57%
    2. Citadel : Forged with Fire
      35.71%
    3. I will not play either of these games , They are both Horse Shit!!!
      21.43%
    4. I will Play Both games.
      14.29%
seraphis79Octagon7711[Deleted User][Deleted User]Kyleranxyzercrime

Comments

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Can you build your own small house with garden in citadel or only big castles/towns? Red something like that. In dark you can build your own small house with garden, I like that tame sheeps for some wool etc.
    Octagon7711

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Dragnelus said:
    Can you build your own small house with garden in citadel or only big castles/towns? Red something like that. In dark you can build your own small house with garden, I like that tame sheeps for some wool etc.
    I have no idea, i havent played either but i plan on playing citadel open beta and then buying/ possibly returning dark and light later today.

I think both games look fantastic and similiar so i started a comparison thread for those who play them
    [Deleted User]Tokken
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

Ok, I will try. Too bad I dont have alot of time since Obeta is 17.00 pm for me and got plans tonight.
    [Deleted User]

Have a little time, so tried it but Im having a hard time joining a server and too bad its only 40 players atm :(

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Nice.  Thanks for the heads up.  Will give the beta a go.  
    Minimal UI, looks like made for consoles.  Mixed reviews so far but nothing really bad standing out.  Someone asking for more PvE servers.  Will definitely try this.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

I just downloaded the beta.  It's a good thing they did this beta because there's a lot to fix.  Lots of bouncing back to main menu when trying to get on a server even if the server shows empty.  Single player not available yet.  Finally got into a PvP server with a few people on.  Game looks really nice and runs smooth.  Crafting is ok.  Get getting a red flashing 'Network' in the corner of the screen.  Chat is going off and on so I think I'm being disconnected from the network from time to time but not getting kicked from game.  

Like I said a good thing, a good thing they had open beta first because this would have been bad launch.  Hopefully they will have most problems fixed in four days when early access launches.

Now I'm getting a big red 'Server Not Responding' in the middle of the screen.  Ahh, just got dropped from server.  
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]Kyleran

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• GavyneGavyne Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Just watched someone flying around on a wyvern on twitch, looked fun.  He lit a house on fire heh.

Played: EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-LOTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO-BDO
    Waiting For: CU & Vanilla WoW

• Walkyier70Walkyier70 Member UncommonPosts: 67
    citadel has got a ways to go in comparison to d/l
    PhryJeffSpicoli
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    I actually feel the opposite. I like both games so far but Citadel seems like it is easier to log into and play.  They both have a ways to go though.
    KyleranOctagon7711

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• PeskyPesky Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Can anybody tell me if these two games are played in first or third person modes?

I suffer motion sickness, so if they're first person only, then I won't be able to play either of them :(
    This is pretty much my take away after spending time with both games yesterday

Dark and Light to me is by far the superior game between to the two. Citadel is graphically impressive and runs smoother and much MUCH LESS BUGGIER than D & L. So how is D & L Superior you ask? Well its simply more fun to play, It feels much deeper and the world feels much more alive to me. The UI is fantastic and you just get , At least I do, a very dungeons and dragons type fantasy feel from D& L. Its hard to explain but i wasnt getting that from Citadel.
    Citadel to me was simply boring, It feels constrictive too. I couldnt climb mountains , I was forced from the outset to be a magic user, the mobs feel all thrown together in the forest with no ryme or reason, The gathering was dull all the oppisite of D &L.

With all that said know what you getting into with D &L . On ultra setting at 2560 x1080 i get 15-32 fps . i HAVE A GTX 980TI and a 8350fx (I know its underpowered for the 980) but still performance is a issue for every one. D& L is also full of bugs and it often takes multiple attempts to log into the game ,the game can be really frustrating. But once you get into the game and start playing its a fun experience, Granted you like survival games but are sick of lazer dinosaurs,zombies or whatever else cliche survival game is out there. 

Thats my take thus far, Iv put about 4 hours into Citadel and about 5 into D & L .
    Kyleran[Deleted User]ConstantineMerusSavageHorizon
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

edited July 2017
    Pesky said:
    Can anybody tell me if these two games are played in first or third person modes?

I suffer motion sickness, so if they're first person only, then I won't be able to play either of them :(
    Citadel has the option for both, D & L i could only play in 3rd person maybe it was server specific or maybe i never found the button but im pretty sure there is no option for it 
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

I think it is way too early to be comparing these games.

KylerananemoConstantineMerus
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

O one important thing i should add, Dark & Light has a hunger  &  thirst meter, Citadel does not.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,984
    Currently have a server for Empyrion which we are loving... but in another month or two we will likely get bored.   Hope one of these two turn the corner by then and we can jump to that.

JeffSpicoli

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I dont know anything about the devs associated with Citadel, but Snail is pretty bad which is why I dont see DnL really being a success in the end.
    JeffSpicoli
    edited July 2017
    Pesky said:

I played both in third person.  Citadel started in first person but just hit F2 I think it was and you're in third.

Citadel is also rapidly improving.  I was quickly able to join a PvE server and played for about 3 or 4 hours.  Still saw the internet hazard light flash in the corner of the screen but didn't get dropped and had fun exploring, crafting, and talking to others in chat.  Didn't die but came really close a few times and started seeing housing popping up in Citadel.  B&L seems to be improving also but more slowly, imo. 
    Kyleran

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    thunderC said:
    I think it is way too early to be comparing these games.

If they are both accepting money to play them it's definitely time to compare them.
    JeffSpicoli

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Albatroes said:
    I dont know anything about the devs associated with Citadel, but Snail is pretty bad which is why I dont see DnL really being a success in the end.
    Thats a shame, I really don't know much about snail.
    • Aloha Mr Hand !