Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Games crashing

HakulaniHakulani Member UncommonPosts: 47
Every time I log into play a game it always crashes, I have everything updated. Is my graphic card to old? I have a GeForce GTX670 Intel Core i7

Any suggestions other than buy a new driver?

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    When is the last time you updated your video drivers?

Does it happen with all games, or only one particular game?

What's the rest of your system specs?
  • HakulaniHakulani Member UncommonPosts: 47
    I updated before I typed this and tried to play but games still crashing. 
    I've played 2 games 1 from steam and WoT. Both games crashed multiple times.
    GeForce GTX670 
    Driver version 384.76
    Intel(R)Core(TM) i7-4770 cpu @3.40ghz
    7.89 GB ram
    What sort of crashing are we talking about?  Blue screen of death?  Computer locks up?  The game process crashes to desktop and the computer otherwise carries on fine?

How quick is the crash?  The moment you launch the game?  A predictable time interval after you've launched it but while it is loading?  After you've been playing for 5 or 10 minutes?
    edited July 2017
    The computer restarts itself after just a couple minutes into the game. The screen goes black then restarts.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited July 2017
    Hakulani said:
    The computer restarts itself after just a couple minutes into the game. The screen goes black then restarts.
    Did you bother to take them computer cover off and inspect the fans and see if they are all turning that its not over-heating or anything like that, or run basic software such as GPU-Z & CPU-Z to check the temperatures?

To me not sure but sounds like it could be an over-heating graphics card?
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    edited July 2017
    As Renoaku said sound like your system is overheating.  Could be something as simple as a fan or a heatsink not working correctly.  After inspecting if you can't find the problem, I would download an app that shows your systems power usage and fan speeds.  I have used HWMonitor myself in the past it works great.  Helped me figure out which fan was causing me problems just like you are having now.  You can find it here: 

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Also it could be one of your fans on your graphics card if you can leave the side off your computer and look to see if the fans are turning if you can see them.  I had bought a new card a couple years back that had a bad fan and it was causing the computer to reboot after about 15 mins or so of heavy use.  Called the company that I got the card from they sent me a new one.  Fixed the problem.
  • gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    edited July 2017
    k61977 said:
    As Renoaku said sound like your system is overheating.  Could be something as simple as a fan or a heatsink not working correctly.  After inspecting if you can't find the problem, I would download an app that shows your systems power usage and fan speeds.  I have used HWMonitor myself in the past it works great.  Helped me figure out which fan was causing me problems just like you are having now.  You can find it here: 

Also it could be one of your fans on your graphics card if you can leave the side off your computer and look to see if the fans are turning if you can see them.  I had bought a new card a couple years back that had a bad fan and it was causing the computer to reboot after about 15 mins or so of heavy use.  Called the company that I got the card from they sent me a new one.  Fixed the problem.
    k61977 said:

you can try this also Core Temp
    http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

or fan speed
    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

edited July 2017
    k61977 said:

Yep and my family members computer recently stopped working but had a $50 graphics card lol was an easy fix though assuming the fan motor isn't burned out you just remove the little fan off the heat sink carefully, and use a drop of machine oil put it in the little hole in back of the fan, let it sit a few hours or over night if you want let it absorb and rotate the fan a little bit and over night it should start working again in which you use those little round stickers and place them on the back on the fan to cover the hole can use a little piece of tape as wel ljust no meta tape that can cause a short circuit and put it back on problem fixed...

Although I just swapped out their card with my old $300 card.

This actually applies to a lot of computer fans they are able to be cleaned and refurbished with the proper machine oil unless you dont mind going out to buy new ones I have had some of these working on my PC for over 7 years now and I use it for many hours but I do regulary inspect them for needing more oil and such.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Its caused by a multicore processor bug with older nvidia cards, new drivers, and steam. To fix the problem go into your bios and disable cores, should be able to run 2 cores fine. Disabling cores worked for me but finally just broke down and bought a new video card. 
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    BTW took me a long time to work this out and I had a lot of people tell me I was crazy the bug does not exist try it for yourself and let me know.
    That sounds like heat and/or power issues.

What case do you have, and what power supply?  If you don't know the power supply, then open up the case and read the label.  Give the exact brand name and model.

Also look through the system and find all of your fans.  That means case fans, CPU fan, video card fan(s), power supply fan, and anything else you see.  Make sure that the fans are all working properly.  You can do this by a simple visual inspection:  if the computer is on but the fan isn't running, it's probably broken.
    psiic said:
    Its caused by a multicore processor bug with older nvidia cards, new drivers, and steam. To fix the problem go into your bios and disable cores, should be able to run 2 cores fine. Disabling cores worked for me but finally just broke down and bought a new video card. 
    That would really be a bizarre bug.  I'm not saying it's impossible, but if disabling some CPU cores fixed a crash, I'd suspect CPU overheating as the culprit.  Fewer cores means less heat, which would be a kludgy fix to overheating.
    Renoaku said:
    Hakulani said:
    Did you bother to take them computer cover off and inspect the fans and see if they are all turning that its not over-heating or anything like that, or run basic software such as GPU-Z & CPU-Z to check the temperatures?

I took the cover off and all fans are running, I did find a couple tiny springs and plastic pieces that broke off where it helps hold the graphic card case. Don't think that's a big deal though. I'm pretty sure it is over heating since it's only doing that on games.
    And thanks everyone who has helped.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited July 2017
    Get a can of compressed air. Disconnect everything you can reach or unplug, blow it all out like crazy, put it back together. Make sure all the fans spin once you turn it back on.

That fixes maybe 6 out of 10 "randomly reboot" problems - either overheating, find a broken fan, fix a loose connection, find random cat in your case, etc.

Sounds like you've done part of that already.
    Hakulani said:
    Renoaku said:
    Hakulani said:

I took the cover off and all fans are running, I did find a couple tiny springs and plastic pieces that broke off where it helps hold the graphic card case. Don't think that's a big deal though. I'm pretty sure it is over heating since it's only doing that on games.
    Hm, by graphics card case are we talking about like a "Heatsink" that is attached to the graphics card with those things, if so a heatsink not making proper contact with the thermal pads depending on the design and stuff can cause it to over-heat and shut down...

Pictures could help of that too maybe.

Also disabling cores on the CPU due to a bug O.o never heard of having to do that never done that myself.
    Ridelynn
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited July 2017
    I can remember some really old games had problems with multicore, and there was some AMD-published software fix (Dual Core Optimizer) that allowed you to re-enable your additional cores. But that was years ago on WinXP. Oddly enough, it also fixed problems with Intel CPUs
    Well I ran some tests on my CPU and other areas and it said everything is running properly, Did a complete fan check for everything also.
    You still haven't said what power supply you have.  That could easily be the problem.  If you don't know, then open up the case and read the label.

Dead fans aren't the only possible cause of overheating.  Sometimes the problem is heatsinks caked in dust.  Blasting them with compressed air as Ridelynn said would fix that problem.  Another cause of overheating is putting the case in a dumb spot that blocks the air vents.

I probably should have asked this much sooner, but have you overclocked anything?  If so, then an unstable overclock could easily be the problem.  And it's easily fixable by undoing the overclocking.  Just because an overclock was stable for a month or a year doesn't mean it will remain stable forever as electromigration takes its toll.
    This is why I tell people not to place their power supply at the bottom the case case with the fan facing down-ward for the intake if setting it on carpet without placing it on a piece of wood or something first...

Same thing with fans and liquid coolers the most idiotic things I see in some builds amazes me especially when someone is custom building something...
    I bought this from Dell, I should have said that in the beginning so I didn't build it myself. I currently opened up the case and with the case off everything is fine. I did everything for their tests and all passed for testing. So I'm guessing it's a fan I can't see that's not working properly or just to much dust in there.