Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Civ VI - OK to start the series here?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
Hey folks, I have been wanting to try out the Civ series.  I somehow missed it since the beginning.  Is Civ VI a good place to start?  Does it have a decent tutorial to teach you the basics and ease you into the game?  It is turn based, right?  Thanks!

Comments

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    OK, thanks!  Is it pretty easy to figure out?  I just got Planet Coaster and, while it seems to have tremendous potential, it just dumps you into the game without any direction.
  • GavyneGavyne Member UncommonPosts: 116
    edited July 2017
    Civ 5 is better than Civ 6 in its current iteration.  This isn't to say Civ 6 won't eventually become a better game.  But if you are starting out, Civ 5 will be cheaper and more complete, and it showcase Civilizations very well.  If you do start with Civ 6 and end up hating it, and not give Civ 5 a try, it would be a shame.

Compare reviews on Steam:
    Civ 6: 
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/289070/Sid_Meiers_Civilization_VI/#app_reviews_hash

Civ 5: 
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/8930/Sid_Meiers_Civilization_V/#app_reviews_hash

Ideally they patch Civ 6 enough to get it fixed up and polished.  But for now it just isn't there yet, and you probably will like Civ 5 better.  My recommendation is to get Civ 5 Complete Bundle (it's cheaper than Civ 6).  Wait until Civ 6 to get better and cheaper before you buy Civ 6.

If you want to play with other players, Civ 5 currently has more players than Civ 6 anyway, which is very telling in itself.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/
    refo18postlarval

Played: EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-LOTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO-BDO
    Waiting For: CU & Vanilla WoW

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    OK, thanks guys.  Which of the two is the more complete experience?  Are the graphics similar?
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    edited July 2017
    Civ 5 is definitely the more complete experience. It has all 3 expansions, while Civ 6 is still waiting for it first expansion. 

Civ games are best when they have the DLC that fleshes them out, makes them a full game that is not missing everything that made the earlier games amazing. The issue with Civ6 is that they have been nickeling people to death with small DLCs that do almost nothing. They have, supposedly, started to go back to the old method.

Civ 5 goes with more of a realistic graphics while Civ 6 is more cartoony graphics. 
  • GavyneGavyne Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Civ 5 complete will likely give you better, more complete experience right now.  It'll have less bugs, less AI issues, and such.  Graphic wise, Civ 6 changed the graphics of Civ series drastically, some love it many hate it.  Civ 5 was more realistic, Civ 6 has gone cartoony.

If you read the pro's and con's of the review link I gave you above, you get a pretty good idea of the good & bad of Civ 6.  You can then make a decision yourself.  I still say Civ 5 complete is better right now, it's very polished, filled with content, has more players on Steam, and costs less.  Civ 6 can get better and likely will in the future, but I find it hard to recommend Civ 6 to people right now.

Played: EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-LOTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO-BDO
    Waiting For: CU & Vanilla WoW

• rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    OK, thanks guys.  Which of the two is the more complete experience?  Are the graphics similar?
    The graphics are similar. I'd pick Civilization V since I consider it an overall better value for a beginner.

Stay commited to the game and it becomes a really rewarding experience after a few hours of learning.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Civ V was a great game. But it also lacks so many features compared to its predecessors. Changes in Civ VI are so good and improved the game a lot, I can't imagine myself play Civ V ever again. I still play Civ IV though. 
    Loke666
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • MikaelJordanMikaelJordan Member CommonPosts: 20
    Yes - I think you can start with this series by any version from Civ 4 to Civ 6. However, since Civ 6 change the graphic and design in a cartoony way, if you don't like it, give it a try with Civ 5. Overally, I like the Civ 5, very polished, filled with content and the AI issue is fixed well!

• MikaelJordanMikaelJordan Member CommonPosts: 20
    Yes - I think you can start with this series by any version from Civ 4 to Civ 6. However, since Civ 6 change the graphic and design in a cartoony way, if you don't like it, give it a try with Civ 5. Overall, I like the Civ 5, very polished, filled with content and the AI issue is fixed well!

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    I started with Civ 6 and I actually enjoy it. I tried the demo for for civ 5, just couldn't get into it.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Gavyne said:
    Civ 5 is better than Civ 6 in its current iteration.  This isn't to say Civ 6 won't eventually become a better game.  But if you are starting out, Civ 5 will be cheaper and more complete, and it showcase Civilizations very well.  If you do start with Civ 6 and end up hating it, and not give Civ 5 a try, it would be a shame.

Compare reviews on Steam:
    Civ 6: 
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/289070/Sid_Meiers_Civilization_VI/#app_reviews_hash

Civ 5: 
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/8930/Sid_Meiers_Civilization_V/#app_reviews_hash

Ideally they patch Civ 6 enough to get it fixed up and polished.  But for now it just isn't there yet, and you probably will like Civ 5 better.  My recommendation is to get Civ 5 Complete Bundle (it's cheaper than Civ 6).  Wait until Civ 6 to get better and cheaper before you buy Civ 6.

If you want to play with other players, Civ 5 currently has more players than Civ 6 anyway, which is very telling in itself.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/
    This is my understanding as well.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I've played the crap out of Civ 5 over the years - almost 3,000 hours. My son gifted me Civ 6 for Father's Day and I have tried to get into it an play it but I keep going back to 5.

6 is definitely prettier and it does have some interesting new twists but I still prefer 5. Although I fully admit that a lot of that might just be familiarity and the comfort that comes from getting visual feedback much quicker from familiar elements and displays.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348
    As a Civilization nut, played from 1 to VI I can recommend Civ VI
    “Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Civ V was a great game. But it also lacks so many features compared to its predecessors. Changes in Civ VI are so good and improved the game a lot, I can't imagine myself play Civ V ever again. I still play Civ IV though. 
    Me too. Tried CIV IV: Caveman2cosmos? it is awesome and the ultimate CIV mod (it is more a fan created massive expansion that is free).

CIV VI have some really good things, the city planning is awesome but it also have some not so good things. The tech tree is very limited, certain of the victory conditions are way too easy and the AI tend to be rather stupid.

You can certainly start with it or any other of the games, it is the one with best graphics and before the expansions it is pretty basic and simple. No CIV game have really been as good as it should before the second expansion though but it is a nice start.

CIV 5 still looks fine while CIV IV looks rather dated. The fourth game is still my favorite of them all anyways. :)
    ConstantineMerus
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Loke666 said:
    Me too. Tried CIV IV: Caveman2cosmos? it is awesome and the ultimate CIV mod (it is more a fan created massive expansion that is free).

CIV VI have some really good things, the city planning is awesome but it also have some not so good things. The tech tree is very limited, certain of the victory conditions are way too easy and the AI tend to be rather stupid.

You can certainly start with it or any other of the games, it is the one with best graphics and before the expansions it is pretty basic and simple. No CIV game have really been as good as it should before the second expansion though but it is a nice start.

CIV 5 still looks fine while CIV IV looks rather dated. The fourth game is still my favorite of them all anyways. :)
    Wow. Thanks for changing my life, that's some badass mod!!XD
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung