Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard Takes Aim, Closes Newly Opened TBC Private Server - World of Warcraft News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageBlizzard Takes Aim, Closes Newly Opened TBC Private Server - World of Warcraft News

Blizzard has taken aim, fired and closed another 'private' server called Felmyst. The server opened mere days ago, dedicated to WoW through The Burning Crusade. Many sites covered the US-based server, perhaps bringing it to Blizzard's attention. The site is now closed with a letter from the 'owner' named Gummy with an image of the Cease and Desist letter from Blizzard's legal department.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Azaron_NightbladePhryMrMelGibsonborghive49

Comments

• jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237
    So it begins........ again
  • VexiusxVexiusx Member UncommonPosts: 212
    edited July 2017
    Good job blizzard, these people are nothing but ordinary thieves most of them trying to make money off someones else hard work trough "donation gear". Good job!
    bartoni33sayuuNephethGdemamizerokaionGhavriggForgrimmalivenzimikeXarkoand 23 others.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    I agree they dont need to destroy private servers Like I understand there are copyright laws and they are within rights to do it but they might as well license it under certain conditions or something because really Blizzard killed World OF Warcraft what do they expect people want the Old WOW not this cheap stuff Blizzard has came up today which basically shows the decline of MMO games.
    GdemamiGhavriggalivenHatefullgyrossSamhaelketo3000DraemosPhrywingoodand 2 others.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    There are only two games I play of Blizzards today, that is Over Watch, HOTS, and sometimes Diablo 3, nothing else WOW is dead to me needs to be reneweed as World OF Warcraft 2.0.
    GdemamialivenHatefullSamhaelDraemosPhry
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    edited July 2017
    I wish Bliz would stop being jerks and just host a couple of classic/progression style servers. I am always tempted to play on an emu but so many drama loving idiots ruin it. Plus the inevitable shut down.
    rpmcmurphyGdemamiCoolitGhavriggzimike[Deleted User]Blaze_RockerAlomarLaughterSongDraemosand 3 others.
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    edited July 2017

Kumapon said:

I wish Bliz would stop being jerks and just host a couple of classic/progression style servers. I am always tempted to play on an emu but so many drama loving idiots ruin it. Plus the inevitable shut down.

They WILL do that, except I doubt they will do it before their subs fall down to like 1 mil subs. That's when the red flags will be raised for them that the game isn't going in the right direction...

Honestly I've been hoping for years now that they create a Warcraft IV, so that I can give up on MMORPGs all together :)
    GdemamiOctagon7711
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    edited July 2017

Vexiusx said:

Good job blizzard, these people are nothing but ordinary thieves most of them trying to make money off someones else hard work trough "donation gear". Good job!

Gummie never accepted one cent from anyone, all he did was work for 4 years to make a game that is no longer available for other fans of The Burning Crusade. He also clearly stated that he would never ask for money to cover server costs.

but hey let's all make judgments based off groups, if most of the private/emulated servers are in it to make money then ALL of them must be greedy thieves. . .

that aside, I really wish one of these servers would call Blizzard on their bull. The cease and desist letter says Gummie is infringing on the software "World of Warcraft"

well it can reasonably argued in court that the game is no longer provided by Blizzard, as World of Warcraft was only version 1.0.2 through 1.12 and what is available now is World of Warcraft: Legion version 7.2.

as I explained in another thread about Elysium a few months back, the changes made to the DMCA a few years ago makes the legality of both party's actions questionable in this and Elysium's specific cases.

one day ( hopefully soon ) a server like these two ( one that adheres to the guidelines in the DMCA ) is going to challenge Blizzard, and hopefully Blizzard will lose.

then they will be forced to either let these servers be, or make legacy servers themselves ( which is what I would like to happen )
    GdemamiHorusraGhavriggNephethalivenHatefullPhixion13unfilteredJWSector13LaughterSongand 7 others.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    I have been here long enough to know how this will end.
    A 20 page thread divided into:

40% Blizzard sucks
    40% Blizzard is right
    20% All Games suck in general
    SBFordbartoni33KyleranGhavriggXophalivenxyzercrimeHatefullOctagon7711obiiand 15 others.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • SinfulChrisSinfulChris Member UncommonPosts: 73
    You don't want a private server of old content. You think you do, but you don't.
    KyleranGhavriggalivenOctagon7711obiiNildenPhixion13Sector13keto3000JamesGoblinand 3 others.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited July 2017
    You know, the npc that they gave the line to in Suramar when you're being a drug dealer and feeding them all says it best, "Just a drop in the well that is known as my thirst." Then again, maybe they hope the end result of the Suramar quest chain will come to fruition as well.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    They have not been able to get the Elysium vanilla servers though. So they are operating with no repercussions. They are asking for donations too so they are getting money too. Blizzard cannot get them shut down so much for their power.
    GdemamiunfilteredJW

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Well Done , Blizz , more bottom feeding thieves eliminated
    Gdemamibartoni33HorusraGhavriggForgrimmNephethalivenHatefullVexiusxketo3000and 1 other.
  • FinvegaFinvega Member RarePosts: 260
    I played on a French Wow private server for a while... I enjoyed my stay. I would have been happier paying Blizz, but they don't want to offer a product I would pay for. 
    Gdemamiketo3000Thupli
  • xelrahxelrah Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Nothing of value was lost, carry on.
    Ghavriggaliven
  • nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    edited July 2017
    Hosting a WoW private server in New York is like glueing a 'I hate Demons' sign on Leeroy Jenkins and sending him into the Tomb of Sargeras by himself.
    KumaponHorusradeniterDakeruGaladournKyleranNephethalivenketo3000Phry
  • jpedrote52jpedrote52 Member UncommonPosts: 112
    God damn it I just wanted to play TBC a fucking 10 year old expansion that blizzard no longer provides, on a well scripted server, ffs.

This disabled developer worked 4 year non stop to create a non profit server (you couldn't even find a donation link or paypal account on their site....) for the TBC fans and gets shutdown on the first few hours.
    GdemamiGhavriggCaffynatedHatefullBlaze_RockerunfilteredJWSector13natpickketo3000Phry
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    God damn it I just wanted to play TBC a fucking 10 year old expansion that blizzard no longer provides, on a well scripted server, ffs.

This disabled developer worked 4 year non stop to create a non profit server (you couldn't even find a donation link or paypal account on their site....) for the TBC fans and gets shutdown on the first few hours.

Life is hard.  :'(
    HatefullBlaze_Rocker
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Horusra said:

And gets harder when you mess with things like IP theft....
    ForgrimmNephethScorchienHatefullketo3000Phry
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    I find it hard to believe that a guy from NY decides to host a private server in the US and doesn't know he will be getting in trouble...
    XingbairongSamhaelketo3000sarah116Phry
  • jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Really. 4years work & they decided to set up servers in NY? If that is true, they must have wanted the attention only
    keto3000Phry
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    edited July 2017
    Horusra said:

Really? I think the 100+ private still active and those that have been running for several years, while making money of it would say otherwise.

IP theft is just the excuse, they just see old school private realms as threat. Anything that has a chance of taking a few players, they will wipe um out. Not saying it's not in their right, just seems pity to me
    GhavriggNephethdragonlee66Hatefullgyrossketo3000
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Herase said:
    Horusra said:

Really? I think the 100+ private still active and those that have been running for several years, while making money of it would say otherwise.

IP theft is just the excuse, they just see old school private realms as threat. Anything that has a chance of taking a few players, they will wipe um out. Not saying it's not in their right, just seems pity to me

Well when something of yours is stolen then your opinion will be valid.  Till then Blizzard can do as they please.
    murph0613ForgrimmGhavriggNephethHatefullketo3000
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    edited July 2017
    I don't get it. They got to have known they were working on something that was illegal. What was their gameplan? Simply stay under the radar and expect blizzard never to notice? Talk about naive and a waste of 4 years time.
    GhavriggNephethSpottyGekkoobiiketo3000
    --------------------------------------------
  • NikusamaNikusama Member UncommonPosts: 3

Renoaku said:

I agree they dont need to destroy private servers Like I understand there are copyright laws and they are within rights to do it but they might as well license it under certain conditions or something because really Blizzard killed World OF Warcraft what do they expect people want the Old WOW not this cheap stuff Blizzard has came up today which basically shows the decline of MMO games.

Why Blizzard is ignoring such an obvious solution is mystifying. Officially licensed third-party servers would be both a boon to the players and a revenue source. It would also solve the "legacy server" issue nicely as long as Blizzard required third-party operators maintain a certain quality standard.
    KumaponBlaze_Rockerketo3000
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    kitarad said:
    They have not been able to get the Elysium vanilla servers though. So they are operating with no repercussions. They are asking for donations too so they are getting money too. Blizzard cannot get them shut down so much for their power.
    Not quite sure how Eylsium continues to operate, but I suspect they are organized in a manner which either makes it difficult to identify the responsible parties or have located their service in a country which won't enforce US legal orders.
    Hatefullketo3000Phry

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon