Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need Offline Standalone RPGs with MMO Feel for Foreign Deployment Play

maxlancemaxlance Member UncommonPosts: 35
Greetings!

In a month or so I'll be residing far from any public web access so  I'm requesting from gamers as yourselves your choice of the best/most modern standalone offline RPGs (preferrably free if possible) that have a MMO "feel" to them which I can install my machine. I'm into MMO's like AION and FFXIV and Guild 2/Lineage 2 and the like (no sci-fi or gothic themes), so any offline standalone RPG games that taste like them and halfway feel like home would be most welcome having!

Thanks for any tips!

M.L.

Comments

• MegashMegash Member UncommonPosts: 17
    hey gl!
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    A good offline RPG is not hard but a free one is... Try Witcher 3 if you can go for something that cost money, it is awesome.

For free there is Betrayal at Krondo, a good game if you don't mind dated graphics.
    MrMelGibsonmaxlance
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Not gonna get many for free.  Plenty available for money though.
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    Keep in mind that some foreign deployment situations may mean little to no access to electrical service as you know it now.  Voltage system may be entirely different.  They might only have a few if any electrical outlets even available.  You may be restricted from such access accept during a limited set time period.  

Start by verifying that such services will even exist, to what degree, and what modifications/adapters you will need to even access them.  Don't just assume you will be granted 24/7 access to such things, they are often considered a commodity of high demand, one that must be shared with others... if even available to you at all.
    maxlance
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Dragon Age: Inquisition felt a lot like an MMO to me. Unlike Witcher 3 or Skyrim, which seem quite "sandbox" and open, the quest design in DA:I felt very MMO-like.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Get books instead...
    laxie[Deleted User]
  • maxlancemaxlance Member UncommonPosts: 35
    laxie said:
    Dragon Age: Inquisition felt a lot like an MMO to me. Unlike Witcher 3 or Skyrim, which seem quite "sandbox" and open, the quest design in DA:I felt very MMO-like.
    Triple appreciated that Iaxie!!

btdt said:
    Keep in mind that some foreign deployment situations may mean little to no access to electrical service as you know it now.  Voltage system may be entirely different.  They might only have a few if any electrical outlets even available.  You may be restricted from such access accept during a limited set time period.  

Start by verifying that such services will even exist, to what degree, and what modifications/adapters you will need to even access them.  Don't just assume you will be granted 24/7 access to such things, they are often considered a commodity of high demand, one that must be shared with others... if even available to you at all.
    Noted, btdt. Rock steady current won't be an issue due very $$ facilities. I just won't have private web access outside Big Brother.
    Not gonna get many for free.  Plenty available for money though.
    Need be I'll eat my gnawed wallet for a good game, no problem.
    Loke666 said:
    A good offline RPG is not hard but a free one is... Try Witcher 3 if you can go for something that cost money, it is awesome.

For free there is Betrayal at Krondo, a good game if you don't mind dated graphics.
    I'll check it out, thanks!!! Need six months worth of cool gaming!
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Kingdoms of Amalur might be the perfect game for you if you want that MMORPG feeling in a single player game.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]ScorchienVrikaMrMelGibson[Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    lahnmir said:
    Kingdoms of Amalur might be the perfect game for you if you want that MMORPG feeling in a single player game.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Great Game , and Great suggestion
    Sovrath[Deleted User]Asm0deus
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    maxlance said:

standalone offline RPGs.
    Have you always referred to single player games as that? Made me chuckle.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited July 2017
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    This was going to be my suggestion as well.

On Steam, you can get Amalur + 2 DLC and a weapons/armor pack for $40. It's worth every cent and you'll get a LOT of mileage for the money.
    MrMelGibson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    get the Wizardry 1-8 series, then when done, get the Bards Tales 1-3, then the Might and Magic 1-10

great RPG's a great history of RPG gaming, and the ability to create and control an entire group gives it a MMO type fell

of course graphics are dated

immodium said:
    maxlance said:

standalone offline RPGs.
    Have you always referred to single player games as that? Made me chuckle.
    Leaves no ambiguity.
    Myrdynn said:
    get the Wizardry 1-8 series, then when done, get the Bards Tales 1-3, then the Might and Magic 1-10

great RPG's a great history of RPG gaming, and the ability to create and control an entire group gives it a MMO type fell

of course graphics are dated

Great tips! Beggers can't be choosers in this department so I'll eat dated too, thanks a trillion!
    SBFord said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

On Steam, you can get Amalur + 2 DLC and a weapons/armor pack for $40. It's worth every cent and you'll get a LOT of mileage for the money.
    Didn't think of Steam! I'll definitely check this out! Thanks!
    SBFord
    Torval said:
    Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen has an offline option, but I don't know if you still need to be connected to the internet or not. You'd want to check that out. It has a very action mmo-ish feel to it.
    I always liked that online option in a standalone RPG! Makes it seem more (yea, being prejudiced here)  "advanced" to me. Again good tip!
  • FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870
    You want a mmo feel then you should definitely be checking out Skyrim.  As already mentioned Dragon Age and Kingdoms of Amalur (Which was actually supposed to be a mmo originally)
    Octagon7711
  • mystik13mystik13 Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Enderal is a free fan made game with the skyrim engine.  Free to people who own skyrim as it requires ownership of creation kit.  Don't be put off by it being player made, it is extremely well done.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Dragon's Dogma, Final Fantasy XIII
    MrMelGibson
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Steam was a good idea.  You can set it in online mode before you leave and test games out to make sure they will work as some won't work in offline mode.  They have to at least check-in first.  Skyrim was my first choice if it works in off line mode.  It has a quest line you can follow or you can just take off and run into stuff and find all these fascinating little quests and stories.  Plus lots of DLC to keep one busy for a very long time.  As well as Oblivion, also on Steam.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    SBFord said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

I second that. Furthermore i believe that Kingdoms of Amalur is one of the most underrated rpg's for reasons i never quite understood.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    It's not that mmo-like but you can get Shadow of Mordor bundle for 5 bucks https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-bundle