Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netflix, Castlevania and The Witcher

AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
edited May 2017 in General Gaming
Netflix to produce "The Witcher" tv series and a animated "Castlevania" series. :smiley:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/17/netflix-to-produce-the-witcher-tv-series

Comments

• 13thBen13thBen Member UncommonPosts: 120
    This ones gotta be good :D
  • FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870
    Not sure about Mads, here's a few i think would suit the role of Geralt:
    • Viggo Mortensen
    • Gerard Butler
    • Travis Fimmel
    MrMelGibsonPhry
  • epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394
    Mads is a fantastic actor, but he has such a distinguishable accent that would take Geralt's video game persona to a different place for me - we're all so used to that iconic voice in the games.   I would still be into it, though, it would just take some adjusting.  
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Heard about Castle Vania, but first time I'm hearing about Witcher.  If it's true, it could be amazing.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    I feel the joke where he starts up the NES game kind of backfires.

The story really seems to be based on the absolutely basic plot of the games.
    That would have been cool in the 90s but with 30 years of evolving storyline where we even get to play as Dracula himself, this simple "vampire hunter moves out to kill a vampire" plot won't do it anymore.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    @Nyctelios

The spammer copy/pasted part of your post to use in his spam. Do you feel special? :)
    Asheram
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited June 2017
    httpcdn01cdnjustjaredcomwp-contentuploads200610hugh_jackman_the_fountainhugh-jackman-the-fountain-15jpg

Hugh Jackman is perfect, great actor, smug face he can deliver Geralt dry humor.
    Add a huge scar to his face and white hairs and he is Geralt twin brother. 

Sovrath[Deleted User]

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited June 2017
    ste2000 said:
    Hugh Jackman is perfect, great actor, smug face he can deliver Geralt dry humor.
    Add a huge scar to his face and white hairs and he is Geralt twin brother. 

Or Solomon Kane's James Purefoy.

Netflix has only released 4 episodes for Castlevania so far. I thought they were pretty good looking forward to more.
    Octagon7711Distopia
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    nope..

unless the content is as good as say something like The Wire then I aint

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,500
    Castlevania was good but come on 4 episodes and they called it a season.  If they do the witcher the same way no point in doing it. 

Asheram
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    k61977 said:
    Castlevania was good but come on 4 episodes and they called it a season.  If they do the witcher the same way no point in doing it. 

Was just a movie cutted into pieces :)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    k61977 said:

Well, think if it as a short serial or "mini-series".

Someone above said it was just a diced up movie. That very well could be the case.

It sot of feels like an experiment ... can this work? Having seen the show I say "yes" now give us more.

AsheramDistopia
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    So there is going to be a second season with 8 episodes to be released some time in 2018.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Netflix has been hit or miss with casting.  I hope they pick someone who can nail the part and a director who will do a great job.  Too many good actors around to consider just one or two at the moment.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Netflix has been hit or miss with casting.  I hope they pick someone who can nail the part and a director who will do a great job.  Too many good actors around to consider just one or two at the moment.
    In the games IP Flipping almost always goes horribly wrong. IP (intellectual property) flipping

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Yep case in point for those misses is the abomination they're calling death note, everything that director says removes it farther and farther from the Manga/Anime series it's spawned from. AS if that series wouldn't work as is for an American audience. But no, he wants something that relates to his own movie. The second he mentioned "super soldiers" and shadow ops, I lost all interest. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    yes lets make a serie/film of a video game, that never go wrong
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    exact

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited July 2017
    Technically it's based on the book series. Which the author himself is no fan of the Videogame adaptation. No one can really say books can't make for a compelling series. 
    Asheram[Deleted User]laserit

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    They mostly "hit" although there is Iron Fist... I'll give you that :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MikaelJordanMikaelJordan Member CommonPosts: 20
    I think Mads Mikkelson is quite a "closest" casting to Geralt - maybe cus he's Danish and very good in expressing an intelligent, deathly character like Geralt. However, he looks a bit weak to be Geralt, in my opinion. My selection, if it's not Mads, will be Michael Fassbender - He not a good casting as Mads but he can do a good job at building up the image of Geralt as a tough fighter.

On the other hand, I totally love the idea Eva Green as Yennefer, all she need is gain a bit of weight :D
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    I'm fearful of what might result from the Witcher in this day and age.  It will end up being very family oriented and that is not what the Witcher world is like.  That's like taking James Bond and making him a family man or taking the villains and toning them down to the point they don't really seem that bad.  Modern day shows in America are very good at that.
  • Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    edited July 2017
    The Witcher is originally a series of books along the same the same genre of fantasy as the RR Martins Song of Fire and Ice trilogy, which was adapted into the HBO hit Game of Thrones. Notable difference being that The Witcher trilogy draws more from Polish/Scandinavia folklore.

So I'd say The Witcher has about as much claim to be adapted onto the screen with a decent shot of success as any other work that's popular.

I'm not so sure about Castlevania though...
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Yeah, I really liked Castlevania.
    Asheram
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo