Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Targeting a Demographic & Making the Best Damn Game for Them - Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageTargeting a Demographic & Making the Best Damn Game for Them - Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen - MMORPG.com

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen News - Brad McQuaid has posted a lengthy article on the Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen site that provides insight into the type of game that he is making. Called "Want went wrong? WoW? 'WoW-Killers' or a general lack of guts?", the article delves into whether or not MMO developers should continue down the same road using the same ideas or if they should "choose a target audience, a demographic within the greater online gaming space, and make the best damn game we can for that group".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Aw, it's McQuaid. Him and Smedley are doom for any game they work on. This will not end well.

EQ was huge because it had no real competition. Now the market is flooded. Competition is great for the consumer. Great time to be a gamer.

Keeping their same "Vision" will not/has not worked in recreating their one time success.

I wish them both the best in life I just wish they would leave mmorpgs alone. It's not working guys. Take the hint.
    Viper482Thunder073kadajvolajuBinny45winghaven1deniter[Deleted User]Unicron-KyleranXoph
  • TalmienTalmien Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Targeting a demographic and making the "best dame game" for them sounds like a great idea on paper. But the execution is likely far more difficult. Your marketing research has to be really spot on and accurate to make that kind of business decision. In order to properly budget, and scope your game design, you need to know exactly how big your target demographic is. And if there's anything I've learned by being a gamer, is that the gaming demographics are very fluid and ever changing. Flavor of the month games come and go, and so do the current desires of the gamers. This is why I think most design studios try to target the largest audience they can, because its near impossible to be anymore precise than that.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Game will do just fine.
    Thunder073deniterHaplos[Deleted User]KyleranOzmodanXoph

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Margrave said:
    Aw, it's McQuaid. Him and Smedley are doom for any game they work on. This will not end well.

EQ was huge because it had no real competition. Now the market is flooded. Competition is great for the consumer. Great time to be a gamer.

Keeping their same "Vision" will not/has not worked in recreating their one time success.

I wish them both the best in life I just wish they would leave mmorpgs alone. It's not working guys. Take the hint.

Did you read the article? Yes the market is flooded, with MMOs designed to keep you entertained for about as long as a multiplayer FPS. They want to change that.

Imo, the only way to change this is to foster community in the game. That is the key ingredient missing in MMOs today. Modern MMOs are a "wham-bam-thank you ma'am" experience these days. Play for a month, get bored, go to the next one and maybe come back later for another month or two. Basically these are just solo games other people are running around in with you, no sense of community outside your guild, very little reason to interact at all. It will be nice to have an MMO that is designed to foster community again. 

GdemamiitchmonsschruppBroongoonThunder073AvarixDaemonweaverdeniter[Deleted User]sakerand 2 others.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    So that is how they are trying to rationalize sense lacking business plan...?
    Thunder073[Deleted User]Kyleran
  • MaximusNovaMaximusNova Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Me and many others stopped playing mmo`s not because i am fad up of them but because i am tired of playing mmo like a single player game. I been waiting for a an mmo like everquest or FF11 for years and finally my dream will be a reality and like me there are many others.
    And the best part with this type of community is that they will stick to this game for years giving it a healthy income.
    itchmonThunder073Yukmarcdeniter[Deleted User]zanfire
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    DMKano said:

Game will do just fine.

thats not saying much - kind of like aiming for mediocrity
    DMKano said:
    talk is cheap

The proof is in the pudding.

They have to deliver a technically sound, polished game first

I hope they pull it off, because then we can finally put to rest the debate of how viable the veteran playerbase is today. Otherwise, bugs crashing, poor performance will be blamed for low population

Still padding your post count I see. 

Look up the logical fallacy "begging the question". 
    GdemamiitchmonSavageHorizonMrMelGibsonOzmodan
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Margrave said:

I'm more a believer in seeing the finished product and then making my decision.

Being in a creative field I know too well that sometimes one has failures that then lead to success.

Heck, that can be applied to science as well!

So I'm ok with people failing and then making additional attempts to get it right. What I'm not ok with is that group of people who will jump in without thinking and then endlessly complain because the game did not come up to the expectations in their head.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305

Viper482 said:

Margrave said:

Did you read the article? Yes the market is flooded, with MMOs designed to keep you entertained for about as long as a multiplayer FPS. They want to change that.

Imo, the only way to change this is to foster community in the game. That is the key ingredient missing in MMOs today. Modern MMOs are a "wham-bam-thank you ma'am" experience these days. Play for a month, get bored, go to the next one and maybe come back later for another month or two. Basically these are just solo games other people are running around in with you, no sense of community outside your guild, very little reason to interact at all. It will be nice to have an MMO that is designed to foster community again. 

Yes we read the article the problem is those are just empty marketing non sense. All you have to do is look at the insanely low visual fidelity of pantheon to know it will be a bust. Its garbage and only a few stubborn fanbois will support it. Look graphics are not everything but they are a HUGE PART of it. Its a VIDEO GAME meaning a visual product. The art/animations/effects/combat are all even worse than the original eq. This games is beond dead on arrive they are just bleeding the same old suckers dry, you know those people who pretend EQ was an amazing game and who want to "recapture" the experience.

Eq1 can still be played if you think it was so amazing go try it and report back. Eq1 was amazing because it was a brand new experience that never existed. Now we are all very familiar with the MMORPG genre and that is a big part why these games tend to feel stale and boring.
    [Deleted User]Kyleranzanfire

Viper482 said:

DMKano said:

Game will do just fine.

DMKano said:

talk is cheap

I hope they pull it off, because then we can finally put to rest the debate of how viable the veteran playerbase is today.

Otherwise, bugs crashing, poor performance will be blamed for low population

look up delusional, the game is and will always be garbage it wont even reach the quality of vangaurd which was a pretty big flop itself this will be worse. Stay in denial though...that recent trailer was beyond abysmal it was embarrassing.
    [Deleted User]
    edited July 2017
    DMKano said:
    I hope they pull it off, because then we can finally put to rest the debate of how viable the veteran playerbase is today. Otherwise, bugs crashing, poor performance will be blamed for low population
    No, there won't be a rest.

It does not matter how many attempts will be made, false thinking and nostalgia will keep the wheel going, just like this sad diatribe by McQuaid...

There is no successfull old-school MMO remake because it wasn't done right yet!

Power of circular reasoning....
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]Kyleran

Me and many others stopped playing mmo`s not because i am fad up of them but because i am tired of playing mmo like a single player game. I been waiting for a an mmo like everquest or FF11 for years and finally my dream will be a reality and like me there are many others.

And the best part with this type of community is that they will stick to this game for years giving it a healthy income.

hate to break it to you, but you can still play eq1 if you want that. Also While I agree I too am tired of the bad single player experience that mmo's have become, there is far more to making a great game than forcing people to group. Not sure how long you can be entertained by watching 5 ugly characters stiffly standing around an ugly stiff monster bobbing around for 5 minutes until it falls over, but i can assure you it wont entertain you for near as long as you think.

If you cant even manage to produce D-tier visuals at this point how could you believe anything in in he game will be done well? I mean this game visually IS REALLY REALLY BAD. This is a cash grab and the usual pack of suckers dreaming about their old EQ days will get taken for their money yet again.
    gunklacker
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I think this is good to put out there still but I think most people know what VR stands for. I think most people are rdy to get updates that also have some meat on them.
    Distopia
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited July 2017
    Whether or not the game succeeds or is to anyone's taste or not remains to be seen. I still think that what McQuaid writes about is legit and spot on to the problem in the MMO genre today. The fewer "market to all for long term success" games are made, the better for the genre as a whole. Targeting audiences with dedicated and devoted community members is the way to go. Make multiple games that cater to smaller groups of players and you have a recipe for success. Blizzard, while still developing WoW, is already doing this. Others need to follow suit.
    SovrathThunder073AvarixdeniterMrMelGibson[Deleted User][Deleted User]Kyleran

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348

Margrave said:

lol no competion, hmmm lets see, Asheron's Call, Ultima Online, Meridian 59, more MUDS/MUSH than I can safely mention.

As to taking the hint and quitting, thats so fucking stupid as to be unbelievable, one failure and quit yeah right, if thats your life attitude you'll never accomplish anything.
    GdemamiSovrathSavageHorizon[Deleted User]
    “Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money

DMKano said:

Viper482 said:

DMKano said:

Game will do just fine.

DMKano said:

talk is cheap

I hope they pull it off, because then we can finally put to rest the debate of how viable the veteran playerbase is today.

Otherwise, bugs crashing, poor performance will be blamed for low population

You might want to look up ad hominem and strawmen yourself

Also - who will publish Pantheon?

Who will host it?

Every time this has been brought up - crickets.

If they are going to self publish - they will need to secure datacenter colo space in US and EU, buy the network and server gear, hire operations and IT staff, hire security team, hire CS, hire BI etc..

They havent even moved an inch on this yet.

So who will publish and host?

Daybreak will!
    Relampago
    “Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 

mmrv said:

hate to break it to you, but you can still play eq1 if you want that. Also While I agree I too am tired of the bad single player experience that mmo's have become, there is far more to making a great game than forcing people to group. Not sure how long you can be entertained by watching 5 ugly characters stiffly standing around an ugly stiff monster bobbing around for 5 minutes until it falls over, but i can assure you it wont entertain you for near as long as you think.

If you cant even manage to produce D-tier visuals at this point how could you believe anything in in he game will be done well? I mean this game visually IS REALLY REALLY BAD. This is a cash grab and the usual pack of suckers dreaming about their old EQ days will get taken for their money yet again.

Are you talking about Pantheon, as from what I've seen the visuals look pretty good?
    gunklacker
    edited July 2017
    SBFord said:
    McQuaid writes about is legit and spot on to the problem in the MMO genre today.
    You mistake problem with preference,bias.

A game that has low population because it is 'niche', certainly has nothing to do with being bad/unsuccessfull! 

C'mon....

[Deleted User]
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited July 2017
    Gdemami said:
    SBFord said:
    McQuaid writes about is legit and spot on to the problem in the MMO genre today.
    Hardly. Niche and bad are mutually exclusive. Niche games can be hugely successful over the long term if a stable and "large" enough population is curated that will "stick" to the game. But obviously, it has to be a good game to do that.

But, honestly. How many people kvetch about "watered down and dumbed down" games in the MMO genre? Groups of players have very specific wants and needs and that's where niche games fit in and can be very, very successful servicing that niche.

The issue is that there never will be a WoW killer -- it's doing that just fine on its own. MMOs needs to evolve past 2000 -- it's nearly 2 decades ago, after all. Regardless, niche titles seem to be a decent evolution to the genre. Does that mean there never will be another WoW that captivates the masses? No, but it's going to have to be something so wildly outside the current box as to pull players from other genres.
    deniterMrMelGibson[Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

SBFord said:
     How many people kvetch about "watered down and dumbed down" games in the MMO genre? 
    Drops in a bucket...

They did evolve.Again, just a preference whether you like what they evolved into.

[Deleted User]
  • NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

Somewhere in there Brad talked about picking a "healthy demographic" to target.  It's ironic that he should say that because that is the part he himself is most blind to.  He just can't seem to accept the reality that the ultra-hardcore, no-life, raider demographic is, in fact, NOT a healthy demographic to target.

He has this weird idea that people who don't fit in that demographic will still be happy to play his game forever because, hey, they can just keep creating new characters to level up.  Yeah....ok.

You know, when people talk about how MMOs changed and became easier and more convenient, well, there was a reason for that.  I, myself, am not happy with the current state of MMOs but bouncing from one extreme to the other isn't going to work.

EQ was fun.  It was addictive.  Not for everyone who tried it but for a lot of people it was.  But oddly, Brad has never understood that it wasn't the endgame raiding that got people hooked on EQ.  It was the casual grouping and free-wheeling fun of the early game that got people hooked.  Focus on THAT demographic of people who liked that and I think you could have a sustainable population.  Probably not a smash hit but a decent, healthy population.

That is what Brad just doesn't get.  He thinks if he gives those people something in the early game and then completely changes the focus to the no-life crowd in the late game it'll be ok because the not-so-hardcore crowd will just keep playing the early game over and over and over forever.  Unfortunately it just ain't going to work that way.

SBFordLiljnaStrizzy12MrMelGibsonBruceYee
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Gdemami said:

SBFord said:

A game that has low population because it is 'niche', certainly has nothing to do with being bad/unsuccessfull! 

C'mon....

That doesn't make any sense if I'm following your logic.

There are a LOT of things out there that have very small audiences. How about Early music or the 12 tone crowd?

How about small art house films? Football certainly draws a larger crowd than fencing.

I don't see a lot of people going out every weekend to Tango!

You have to evaluate something on how well it achieves its goals, how good it is compared to other similar examples.

The idea that the greater the audience the better it is completely wrong. You can have a large audience for a property only to find out it's a bad example of that property and that large audience moves on.

Of course, the opposite is also true, just because something has a large audience doesn't mean it's "bad".

Whether or not something has larger appeal or not doesn't speak to its quality just its appeal.

SBFordAvarixMrMelGibson[Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 299
    I'm starting to worry about this game. Seems to be too much talk and no substance. The graphics already look VERY dated, and there seems to be no progression. Stop talking about labor pains...and show me the BABY!!
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
     SBFord said:
    But, honestly. How many people kvetch about "watered down and dumbed down" games in the MMO genre? 
    Probably far fewer than people seem to think, because the vast majority of game players never visit forums to begin with.  What you have here is a smaller group of people speaking on their own behalf purporting it to be the mindset of the greater majority.

The issue here is that ANYONE can make a good speech.  There are far more people out there telling you how things should be than those who are actually doing the things they say.

Proof is in the product.  No product.  Hot air.  Or as Judge Judy likes to say, a whole lot of "puffing".

Until there is concrete evidence of the thesis... it's still only a thesis.  And when you are claiming to be the one bringing the next big thing, your evidence CANNOT be in the form of what others have done, but in what YOU have done... today... not x number of years ago.

Problem is, most of these games are never done, always being fixed, and an example of an idea never realized.  A far cry from the promises made.  And we can EVEN use Blizzard in this example because they continually guild the lily all in the name of selling their product.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    ''With Pantheon we've chosen to focus on PvE and making the E in PvE matter a lot more than it has for some time. We've decided to attract gamers who love to team up with each other and take on the AI -- cooperative gamers who want more than session based games but to work together in a truly persistent environment. We've decided to go after people who want to explore and experience vast handcrafted worlds with compelling storylines and quests. We've targeted the online gamer who when they experience something emotionally intense would rather experience that with other people -- that, to them at least, experiencing challenges and even overcoming them together and as a team provides for much more memorable shared experiences -- memories and nostalgia that just doesn't naturally occur in single player games or even in online games where the other players you encounter you really never have a reason to get to know.''

I am all for this and like this.
    Scorchiendeniter
    Chamber of Chains