Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Computer wont turn on

OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
edited July 2017 in Hardware
Hi. Last night I put my computer in sleep mode. Wake up today and I cant get it to turn on. Ive switched on and off the PSU. Tried plugging the power cord into different sockets with no luck. The green light i can see on the motherboard is not lighting up anymore. Help please! Everything was working fine yesterday.
When all is said and done, more is always said than done.

Comments

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    I would agree with torval, sounds to me lie a PSU has gone pop, without knowing where you live etc, but it could have been an electrical problem that shorted, Without being obvious, but im assuming you have checked the fuse in the power plug?
    In perfect world, you could do with a friend who has a PSU that you can borrow and then just plug that in and see if everything works that would answer the question 100%.
    Even if its a MB problem generally you get some beeps etc on boot up, but if your not seeing any juice hit motherboard then i would be fairly confident in saying its PSU.

What make etc of PSU is it? Too often i see builds either pre-built or so called gaming systems that have cheaped out on the PSU.. why , why , why, when arguably its singly the most important component on PC.

Tahts my tuppence, but if it is PSU from a reputable manufacturer, they generally come with minimum 10 year if not lifetime guarantees.
    [Deleted User]

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    If you have another computer you can use for troubleshooting, you could try checking:

1. Can you get that computer to turn on with your power supply, and
    2. Can you get your computer to turn on with that computer's power supply

Was the light on motherboard something that was on all the time, or only when the computer was turned on? If it's supposed to be on only when the computer is also on, you can try resetting your BIOS. Refer to your motherboard's manual for instructions on how to do it. If it's supposed to turn on as soon as the motherboard receives power, then resetting BIOS is unlikely to help.

Also like Torval said, check that all the cables are connected, even the cables inside your computer.
    [Deleted User]Robsolf

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Have you checked a lamp in the wall outlet to be sure the breaker is not tripped?
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517

Antec HCG-620M 620W ATX12V Modular SINGLE-RAIL 48A 80PLUS Bronze 135mm Fan Active PFC Power Supply
    edited July 2017
    Might be right about the motherboard light only on while the PC was on. I always thought it lit up while it had power. But its mostly in sleep mode so maybe thats why.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    I would unplug every psu connection whack the psu on the ground or with a hammer plug everything back in and try it. Actually had that work for me when a psu supposedly went bad whacked it on the ground and not sure why but its worked for 4 years with no more problems. 
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited July 2017
    Check the PSU Fan is moving, and even if it is, that still might be the problem.
    The alternative is that you fried the MOBO but again that's usually caused by the PSU malfunction.

Best case scenario, you only have to replace the PSU.
    Worst case scenario you have to replace both PSU and MOBO.

PS: There is also another possibility.
    If the CPU Fan is not working or it's running really slow, the PC won't turn on, you might want to check that as well.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    If you haven't tried it, you might try pulling the watch battery to reset the bios.  You might also make sure that the power switch wire is properly connected to the board.

Even external hardware can cause a failed power up.  Many moons ago, I had a keyboard that kept my system from powering on.  Granted, that was back in the day when keys and mice had their own ports...

But yeah, start pulling external hardware first, and see if it'll power on.  Then move on to internal hardware.  If you get down to 0 drives and 1 memory stick and it still won't fire up, then you're down to it either being the mobo or the PSU.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    to make thing simple, possible your power source is gone, if you press the power button on your PC and theren't any signal of fan or lights that is the more likely thing to have happenned, if you can't change it for a test, or are not willing to buy a new one, take it to someone who work with it so he can check.

and before anyone says it could be mother board, even when a mother board is busted it will get light signals or the fans can try to start then stop later, but even in worse case you would need to check the power source first anyway.

since you said you did all the turn off pull the power cable out and back again and checked all possible fuse on your power line
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 915
    Unplug all power cables in ur pc and thenput the power cables together again, but ONLY the basic hardware that neds to turn ur pc on. So leave extra fans and extra harddrives ect. unplugged

I appreciate all your guys feedback.

Simple solution thank god... I brought it in and they plugged in their power cord.. and it worked. Lol
    RobsolfOctagon7711RidelynnVrikaLeFantome
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Once I had a problem like that, for me it turned out the power cord had worked itself loose just enough to not power anything on over the years.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• RS-ManRS-Man Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Unplug the power cable and hold the power on button for 10 seconds to discharge the motherboard capacitors, plug the power back in and try to start it.

Sometimes the capacitors get overloaded or faulty, if that doesn't work it could be your PSU

PS: Holding the power button is the same as leaving the computer unplugged 1-2 days to discharge but faster 

OhhPaigey

=/= Better be defeated for a triumph than not to triumph by fear of failure! =\=

AsRock x370 Taichi AM4 Promontory
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600X @ 3.9Ghz 1.33v
    CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 120 - Temps: ~28-32 idle ~45-60 load
    G.Skill Ripjaws 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz
    MSI GamingX GTX 1070
    CoolerMaster 850Watts PowerSupply

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Bring it to repair shop...
    So this just happened again this morning.. idk whats going on...
    edited July 2017
    I woke up and my mouse light was still on but hitting the power button didnt bring it back from sleep mode. The light on the motherboard was on as well.

So after trying a couple times I turned off the power from the back, and now im having the same exact issue as before.. is it possibly my surge protector? If so why does everything else work thats plugged into it?

Im gonna leave my PC unplugged today til I get home and hopefully it starts up then.. idk.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited July 2017
    OhhPaigey said:

So after trying a couple times I turned off the power from the back, and now im having the same exact issue as before.. is it possibly my surge protector? If so why does everything else work thats plugged into it?

As I said before, it's probably your PSU.
    Even if it works, that doesn't mean it is working fine, it is rare that the PSU totally breaks, usually it keeps going but it fails to keep the Wattage constant, failing to supply enough power to your System.
    If you have your PC plugged into the same Surge Protector, try also to unplug everything else and leave only the PC plugged.
    Plugging too many electricals into one socket it's not advised.

You also have to turn off the Computer when you don't use it, don't leave it in sleeping mode.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Plug your PC directly into an outlet and get away from the surge protector. Also make sure USB suspend is turned off in your power settings.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    I have to agree with many of the others sounds like you have a PSU that is having issues.

If you do get a new psu, get a good one, the cheap ones will just end up causing you problems.
    If the psu is the problem ill be building a new pc lol
    Verenath
  • VerenathVerenath Member UncommonPosts: 61
    OhhPaigey said:
    If the psu is the problem ill be building a new pc lol
    Why would you build a new PC versus replacing the broken part?

-Verenath-

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    OhhPaigey said:
    I woke up and my mouse light was still on but hitting the power button didnt bring it back from sleep mode. The light on the motherboard was on as well.

Im gonna leave my PC unplugged today til I get home and hopefully it starts up then.. idk.
    I'd stop putting it in sleep mode, or stop using it all together. IF your PSU goes it could take a lot of things with it. 
    maskedweasel

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited July 2017
    It's mobo, not psu.

You can check the psu by turning it on using a paperclip(look it up on google).
  • paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363
    May not be the problem here. But I actually had the power switch on the computer case go bad once.

Sometimes it would work and sometimes it would not. I eventually figured out it was the power button that was shot, not the computer.
    Replacing a switch with 2 wires was pretty easy and the part I bought at radio shack was like 6 bucks.

Maybe this helps someone someday.
    Gdemami

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    edited July 2017
    ste2000 said:
    OhhPaigey said:

As I said before, it's probably your PSU.
    Even if it works, that doesn't mean it is working fine, it is rare that the PSU totally breaks, usually it keeps going but it fails to keep the Wattage constant, failing to supply enough power to your System.
    If you have your PC plugged into the same Surge Protector, try also to unplug everything else and leave only the PC plugged.
    Plugging too many electricals into one socket it's not advised.

You also have to turn off the Computer when you don't use it, don't leave it in sleeping mode.

Yeah the cheap PSU's that come with most prebuilts often do this after awhile. They usaullyB start acting up and you get problems exactly like this before they go completely dead.

I stopped having this problem when I started building my own and stopped using cheap PSU's, and by cheap I mean quality not watts.
    Gdemami

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.