Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wildstar, why is this game not more popular?

seraphicasseraphicas Member UncommonPosts: 51
Recently gave it a go after browsing some games on steam. Have to say it is a damn solid title. Set my keybinds up and controls to be more like Tera/ESO and am having a blast. I could really do without the cheese humor and voiceover all the time, but the gameplay is fluid, responsive, and most of all fun. As the title says, Why is this not one of the top mmo games right now? I honestly feel like it's a better experience than WoW currently. Add to the fact that I'm laughing a little about this, but it feels less like a spam fest than WoW currently is as well.
Gdemamixpsync

Comments

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    its a decent game, fairly polished, however I couldn't seem to keep interested in it. Im not sure what it is about it.
    Viper482MrMelGibsonxpsync
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    It had a relatively decent number of sales at launch. They had very confusing marketing, trying to appeal to everyone at once, which left most people feeling like the game wasn't for them.

I loved the game personally, but about 90% of the community left within a month, if not sooner. It is one of the worst performing MMOs for the company - I'm frankly surprised it hasn't been canceled a long time ago.
    MrMelGibson
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited July 2017
    Probably the best game no one ever wants to play

MMORPGs are a sum of their parts, and somehow this one just didn't click, once they got it all straightened out.

Might be a case of showing up to the market just a bit too late, right at the tail end of the theme park era.

laxieOctagon7711wandericaMrMelGibsonGdemamixpsync

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• seraphicasseraphicas Member UncommonPosts: 51
    I'll admit it is a little bit "different" to say the least lol. I actually read everything so far and all the lore books I've gathered and the story and quests actually made it better to me. Housing, which I have yet to do as I'm only bout lvl 11 or so atm seems like it's really good from videos I watched and the little reading I did on that particular feature.. The holo wardrobe feature is awesome. Earn omnibits just playing the game. A very WIDE array of skills to choose from and customize. Honestly it's more feature rich than MOST mmo out currently. Free to get into as well.
    xpsync
  • azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Recently gave it a go after browsing some games on steam. Have to say it is a damn solid title. Set my keybinds up and controls to be more like Tera/ESO and am having a blast. I could really do without the cheese humor and voiceover all the time, but the gameplay is fluid, responsive, and most of all fun. As the title says, Why is this not one of the top mmo games right now? I honestly feel like it's a better experience than WoW currently. Add to the fact that I'm laughing a little about this, but it feels less like a spam fest than WoW currently is as well.
    go queue up for PvP and get back to us on that "feels less like a spamfest" comment.  they have made design/marketing mistakes time and time again for W* - I think the only people keeping it afloat are those treating it like a Barbie's Dreamhouse Online (the housing...) and spending $$$ on the cash shop to decorate.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Personally I didn't like it because.

1.) Classes
    2.) Cartoonish characters not realistic or even fantasy looking just not my type of game.

The game could have been great.
    xpsync
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    They made a big deal about how hardcore the game was/is, how it had 40 man raiding, how it was awesome for the 1%, and it backfired, big time.

Most MMOs get one chance, if they blow it, thats it, and Carbine blew it with Wildstar.
    laxiexpsyncurbanmechTheScavenger

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    Excession said:
    They made a big deal about how hardcore the game was/is, how it had 40 man raiding, how it was awesome for the 1%, and it backfired, big time.

Most MMOs get one chance, if they blow it, thats it, and Carbine blew it with Wildstar.
    This basically sums it up. Granted it does have the best housing feature in a game that I've seen.. but they told the players if you aren't hardcore you don't belong here. So the players left. 
  • Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370

One reason is that it's an NCsoft game and it came out not long after they shut down CoH. People are still boycotting them because of that.

I'll admit that back in 2012 when I took a serious look at the games available and what were coming out, Wildstar was the game I was most attracted to. It had the setting and gameplay I was interested in. Sadly, it was an NCsoft game and they burned me when they shut down my favorite game of all time. Not only did they lose my respect but my trust as well. I couldn't take the risk of them screwing me again. If it wasn't for that I would have played Wildstar.

If NCsoft had just let CoH run I would have likely tired of it and migrated to Wildstar when it came out and I'd probably be playing it today.

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• SplattrSplattr Member RarePosts: 543
    Excession said:

This basically sums it up. Granted it does have the best housing feature in a game that I've seen.. but they told the players if you aren't hardcore you don't belong here. So the players left. 
    Funny thing is, before the game came out everyone was excited that a "hardcore" game was coming out. Not to mention all the "cash shop games suck" crowd that were hyped the game had a sub model. 

Then the game came out. Everyone whined how hard it was to get attuned (think that is the term they used) for raiding end game. Dungeons were unforgiving. People complained it was a "been there, done that" type of game as well. Etc, etc, with the complaints. In the end, nothing was really BAD, it's just that there wasn't anything really awesome. 

With that said, I am right there in the boat with everyone else. There isn't anything that I hate about the game. Still, after 3 months I just sorta stopped playing. No real reason I can pinpoint. Just nothing drawing me back day in and day out.

laxie
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    The dungeons were difficult and required multiple tries. Yet, people weren't willing to do that. I recall groups often disbanded after 1-2 failed tries. I think people are used to easy content from other games, so the majority of the player base simply left when they couldn't complete everything straight away.

The people who enjoy hardcore content are clearly a small minority. This is not a dig at the community, more at the marketing. You can't make promotional materials showing fluffy bunnies, then give people a cartoony housing system at levels 1-20, and then drop them into a ruthless dungeon without educating them about the difficulty at all.
    gunklackerMrMelGibson
  • MellowTiggerMellowTigger Member UncommonPosts: 84
    edited July 2017
    I'm one of those people who was interested in the hype but who left after a few weeks.  While the game was very polished for features and humor within a narrow field of view, it succumbed to the same problem I have with all modern MMOs: each zone has only one purpose which is to level out of it as soon as possible.  It was not "alive" in the sense that the whole game world was simultaneously interesting.  To be fair, no game world I've played since EQ1 has had any reason to go back to earlier zones, but my tolerance for zone-levels has dramatically decreased over time.  MMOs need to give up on the concept of levels for a decade or so, just to break them of the terribly bad habit of relying upon "second verse, same as the first".
    denitergunklackerSteelhelmGdemamixpsync
  • BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    I know I'm going to get hate mail and death threats for this comment. I tried Wildstar Online twice. And both times, the gameplay was very solid, but it also felt very familiar; a lot like World of Warcraft.

I'm not saying Wildstar IS like WoW, but it felt like WoW. Of course, there are many differences, but I couldn't fight feeling if I was going to go from quest hub to quest hub, leveling up in an MMORPG with cartoonish graphics; why not just resub to WoW where I have 7 years of characters, raw materials, rare items, and my guild?

I just couldn't get into the swing of things with Wildstar Online.

TheocritusdeniterSteelhelmMrMelGibson
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Bitter I dont think you are wrong at all..if Wildstar came out before WoW it is the one that has 11 million playing it at one time, but the odds are they stole most of their gameplay from WoW so that wasnt going to be the case..>Youre right though it felt jsut like I created a new WoW character and was playing WoW again...Too familiar.
    Tokken
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    Too linear for me,  and don't like the cartoony graphics. I couldn't seem to keep interested in it, but I tried.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    I know I'm going to get hate mail and death threats for this comment. I tried Wildstar Online twice. And both times, the gameplay was very solid, but it also felt very familiar; a lot like World of Warcraft.

I'm not saying Wildstar IS like WoW, but it felt like WoW. Of course, there are many differences, but I couldn't fight feeling if I was going to go from quest hub to quest hub, leveling up in an MMORPG with cartoonish graphics; why not just resub to WoW where I have 7 years of characters, raw materials, rare items, and my guild?

I just couldn't get into the swing of things with Wildstar Online.

The reason for this feeling is simple, Carbine Studios was made by ex-blizzard devs, who worked on WoW.

It is also part of the reason they claimed Wildstar was for the 1%, as way back when, a WoW dev claimed only 1% of the player base actually took part in raiding.
    TheScavenger

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• seraphicasseraphicas Member UncommonPosts: 51
    From the things I have read about the current state of the game, my experiences in game currently, and the negative posts about the game in general I'd say the game has shifted in a much more positive direction. People ought to give it another go. I'll be doing updates on my experiences as I will continue to play the game and see for myself. As of right now though, I am having a great time. I'm playing Exile side and got myself one heck of a cool looking Mordesh Stalker. Just a tip for those that "Don't know what's going on"...gotta read that quest text and it all fits together nicely. Only way it makes no sense is to just auto accept quests and turn them in without paying attention to what the quests are about. Haven't tried the pvp yet, but like I stated earlier, Wow in its current form is a spamfest to me as well, be it pve or pvp, and lost its touch in my opinion. A far cry from what made the game popular to begin with I'd say. And to think I've read posts praising Legion about being one of the best xpacs it has released. The only difference to me from both games perspectives is that in WoW I'm standing still more often, and in wildstar movement is almost a constant.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    The reasons I didn't like WildStar are:

1)  Too many things in the game force you to rely on other players who don't exist in a deserted game world.

2)  Too many severe bugs that took way too long to get fixed.  And yes, this was well after release.

3)  A really awkward control scheme that always left me feeling like I was fighting more against bad controls than against the mobs that were my nominal opponents.

On point (1), I'm not against having to rely on other players so long as I can readily find those other players.  In WildStar, I could readily long on during what for most English-language games would be peak times, play for an hour while constantly move around doing quests, and literally never see another player that entire time.  In a game like that, being forced to rely on other players simply means that considerable chunks of the game are unplayable.

Points (2) and (3) could conceivably have been fixed since I played, but were egregiously bad at the time.  WildStar and TERA are the only games that I've played that had a control configuration that made me wonder how it made it out of alpha testing.  But WildStar never seemed like it could have been great if not for the glaring problems.  I don't feel the need to go back and check to see if the game has finally lived up to its potential of being okay but not very good.
    Phry
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Because it is Sci-Fi. I honestly think that if it was a fantasy game it would have found a bigger audience. Not that Sci-Fi does not have an audience but cartoony and Sci-Fi? Eh.
    I like Sci-Fi as well as fantasy.  But something about the combat really turns me off, maybe the timing, IDK.  TSW/SWL combat is not enjoyable for me but I can play because I like other elements in it.  I should be able to do the same with WS but I just can't.  Tried many times.  I guess it's just not the game for me.  I like the classes, the environment, the craziness of it all but alas, no joy. :neutral:
    MrMelGibson

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    I can't give you a real pin point answer other than it just did not grab me. Dunno why, just did not get me going.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Yeah I think it boils down to two answers some others have given in this thread:

1. Initial Impressions - Games tend to improve a lot after release but the interest isn't there for them the way it is at release. You could have the best MMO ever made a couple years after launch but if people didn't like it when it came out that will leave a lasting stain on it.

2. Bad Timing - The themepark era came to a close as Wildstar released. I refused to even consider it because the distinctions between it and existing titles were not great enough to me. Too little difference too late in the game. Maybe it was the best of the themeparks ever made but I personally didn't care to do that song and dance again now matter how good of an example of it's genre it was.
    Kyleran
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    was buggy on release:  especially endgame stuff and pvp (pvp stats didn't even work)

humor felt water down: felt like play a game that had been censored for little kids which made most of the jokes(this was a huge part of the narrative) feel cringey or just fall flat

graphics: the colors and more specifically intensity of the colors, combined with the floaty combat.....actually gave me motion sickness(which is actually what forced me to quit). 

also the story was just mediocre

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    It's kind of boring.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!