Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Next Trend in gaming?

Comments

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Hatefull said:
    waynejr2 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    waynejr2 said:
    You need multiple data points to get a trend...
    very insightful thanks for your input.

what do you think those will be in the near future?

As a long time developer, I don't think I am going to come up with the right answer.  If you had asked me where mmoRPGs were heading back in the early days of EQ1, I would have talked in terms of massive virtual worlds with expanding game play features.  Obviously it didn't go that way and really went down the bean counter route.

So I could "predict" something and it would likely be wrong.

Prediction:  Games will continue to cater to the masses with dumbing down (as I see it).  Also, new technologies will be leveraged for sales but not really offer great new gameplay.  Some players will deny this saying it is amazing new and unlike anything before.   Finally, my 2018 prediction for what music will be popular is  "top  40 music".
    Are you seriously a developer? A game developer? Like no BS for real?

That is mind blowing to me. 
    There are plenty of game developers on this site.
    Not sure why you felt the need to tell me that but...cool...?
    Gdemami

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Hatefull said:
    waynejr2 said:
    Hatefull said:
    waynejr2 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    waynejr2 said:

As a long time developer, I don't think I am going to come up with the right answer.  If you had asked me where mmoRPGs were heading back in the early days of EQ1, I would have talked in terms of massive virtual worlds with expanding game play features.  Obviously it didn't go that way and really went down the bean counter route.

Prediction:  Games will continue to cater to the masses with dumbing down (as I see it).  Also, new technologies will be leveraged for sales but not really offer great new gameplay.  Some players will deny this saying it is amazing new and unlike anything before.   Finally, my 2018 prediction for what music will be popular is  "top  40 music".

I am not a game developer.  There are other types of developers  out there you know. And back in the day, taking a game dev job just wasn't respectable.

So that is on you.
    I do know, so what do you develop? Still, mind blown. LOL and what day would that be?

\Really?  I had my first computer class in 73.  :D 

The day was back in the 80s when I worked at Symbolics. 
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    edited July 2017
    waynejr2 said:
    Hatefull said:
    waynejr2 said:
    Hatefull said:
    waynejr2 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    waynejr2 said:

I am not a game developer.  There are other types of developers  out there you know. And back in the day, taking a game dev job just wasn't respectable.

So that is on you.
    I do know, so what do you develop? Still, mind blown. LOL and what day would that be?

So you are from my era, my first computer class was in '77, although that was for a system used for troubleshooting Marine Corps helicopters and (gasp) F4 Phantom jet fighters...  Funny thing was that after all those classes learning the system (which I aced) they assigned me to fixing radar systems, which I was about as far from acing as you could get and still pass.
    Phaserlight

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

Hatefull said:
    Hatefull said:
    waynejr2 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    waynejr2 said:

The reason was...obvious.
    Pretty obvious I was speaking to a specific person, did you feel threatened? Unrecognized? you just had to let everyone know you are a dev? Spoiler, no one cares. To be clear I was talking to Wayne.
    Gdemami

waynejr2 said:
    Hatefull said:
    waynejr2 said:
    Hatefull said:
    waynejr2 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    waynejr2 said:

So that is on you.

Makes sense now.

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    The Optimist
    Cyberpunk 2077 will set a new standard for online RPG's. This will resonate through the market and further blur the lines between genres. New games of a higher standard will spawn, and we will appreciate them for what they are. The 'massive' part of MMORPG will be more cleverly disguised in smaller pockets which still simulates 'massiveness' very well but with the benefits of better performance and an overall smoother experience. A new "Golden Age" will come and last for a good 8-10 years. After that a new dip arrives before we move on to the next stage in gaming technology, when VR and AR (or pure Brain Interfacing) has matured to an affordable and technologically superior market. This is a natural wave-cycle that will go on and on.

The Pessimist
    We are so brainwashed by corporations from birth that the younger generations growing up with the current EA as their hero will keep elevating them to the skies. Gaming will spiral downwards and become nothing but crowd control used for cheap dopamine fixes (much like todays mobile gaming market). The elite will keep increasing the distance from the crowd until the gap is so large that we are divided in to something that could best be described as different species. We effectively become slaves without knowing it (or are we already?). A resistance is born and a great war starts that will last for a hundred years. While we are so busy fighting each other we will be wiped out by a force we couldn't forsee, overlooked, or even created in our madness. We now live in a post-apocalyptic world where survival of the fittest is the only law, and Kevin Cosner will save my colony from the baddies.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Hatefull said:
    Hatefull said:
    Hatefull said:
    waynejr2 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    waynejr2 said:

The reason was...obvious.
    Pretty obvious I was speaking to a specific person, did you feel threatened? Unrecognized? you just had to let everyone know you are a dev? Spoiler, no one cares. To be clear I was talking to Wayne.

Did you feel threatened by his response? Feel like you were less of a man? So you felt like being overly aggressive would somehow compensate for something? Spoiler, no one cares! 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited July 2017
    subject derailed it appears and all without needing to yell at me
    GdemamiGladDog

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

waynejr2 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    waynejr2 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Loke666 said:
    Elidien said:
    I think it will be "how does VR do?". Right now, VR gaming reminds me of the discussion around 3D tv. 3D tv while interesting and kinda cool in some ways, never "tipped" and went big.

I am curious what will happen with the technology behind VR. Will it be big and therefore appeal to the consumer? If so, how will the price change?

I think a lot of the market is waiting to see if VR will "trend" or not.

VR already failed once (ask Nintendo),...
    everytime I read something like that I want to scream and for me it makes pretty much every single thing they say after null and  void.

There is a HUGE difference between VR of 1993 and today and not knowing that makes one woefully ignorant on this subject

its like comparing communicating between two cans and a string and that of cell phone technology
    But what does VR really offer that is new and exciting?  Other than neck pain and eye strain, what is going to fun about having a console on your head?   While it might be "cool" and "in" thing to have, I don't see it offering me something exciting. 

Can you tell me what VR will do for you that current games aren't.  Be specific.  For example, if you just say first person view, we have that.  Why is would be new/different/great is better.
    waynejr2 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Loke666 said:
    Elidien said:
    I think it will be "how does VR do?". Right now, VR gaming reminds me of the discussion around 3D tv. 3D tv while interesting and kinda cool in some ways, never "tipped" and went big.

I am curious what will happen with the technology behind VR. Will it be big and therefore appeal to the consumer? If so, how will the price change?

I think a lot of the market is waiting to see if VR will "trend" or not.

VR already failed once (ask Nintendo),...
    everytime I read something like that I want to scream and for me it makes pretty much every single thing they say after null and  void.

There is a HUGE difference between VR of 1993 and today and not knowing that makes one woefully ignorant on this subject

its like comparing communicating between two cans and a string and that of cell phone technology
    But what does VR really offer that is new and exciting? ...
    frankly...if you dont know its impossible to explain or for that matter have much of a conversation on the subject. sorry but not me bro

so no I am not engaging in your other questions which I personally think are just bait but even if they arent it doesnt matter because one who is that much disconnected on this subject can not be reasoned with on this subject

Honest question asked and not answered.
    yes I know that is obvious and what i said. I am not answering those questions and not engaging conversation with someone who doesnt know.

Would you want to engage a conversation with someone who asked something like 'i dont understand the point of a car, why transport yourself someplace'
    no..you wouldnt and not answering the questions doesnt mean there is not an answer, its that you are wise to not engage

edited July 2017
    Loke666 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Loke666 said:
    Yes, and I already said that in the post, it was not ready in the 90s and I ain't 100% certain it is ready now either even if it is far better. That is why I think it wont really take off until 5 years from now.

Please read the entire post before calling me "ignorant".
    anyone who says what you said (and I will quote below) of which its full meaning is very clear has zero standing with me on this subject but my rant is over. please do not pretend to think I do not understand the full meaning of what you said in the quote below

'VR already failed once (ask Nintendo),.'
     At least use the full sentence when you quote which was "VR already failed once (ask Nintendo), the gear is better now but the question is if it is good enough and if enough good games release to get people to get it."
    And yes, I stand by that but if you just read part of a sentence and rant about it you can make anyone sound insane.

I do believe we will see VR among mainstream gamers and that we are close but still a generation away. Vive is almost good enough but a bit too uncomfortable and pricey. Cut the size and price in half and we are ready. Also, the controlers could need some improvements.

AR is another matter, it also have great potential but I don't think we are just a generation away there.  It will be used in a different type of games though, perfect for strategy games for instance while VR works better for FPS games.  
    nope sorry not good enough

R already failed once (ask Nintendo),  (with comma and saying things aftrer)

is not good enough its a fail for me at that point.
    stop talking to me please I am not reading what you have to say on this because of that, your choice of words tells me you do not have a strong enough perspective of the differnece
    GdemamiKylerancameltosis

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Hatefull said:
    waynejr2 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    waynejr2 said:

I think it's likely there are more "wannabe" game developers than actual game developers on this site.

So what other new things in game other than VR that you guys think could become a 'new thing' that is related to game play and is something that can be exciting to some people if not most?

I think we have exhausted the VR bit

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Hatefull said:
    waynejr2 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    waynejr2 said:

I think it's likely there are more "wannabe" game developers than actual game developers on this site.

I think that's a relatively safe assumption. However, that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of game developers on this site, as nebulous as "plenty" might be. There are plenty of game developers on Earth, too, but there are absolutely more "wannabe" game developers on Earth. 
    postlarvalGdemami

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    SEANMCAD said:
    So what other new things in game other than VR that you guys think could become a 'new thing' that is related to game play and is something that can be exciting to some people if not most?

Trounced again, agree, time to move to another topic.
    cameltosis

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

I started playing Kingdoms last night. The game is far from being complete and I am not suggesting the game as something to play anyone other than people like myself but I want to shine on something in that game that is very compelling and if it can be pulled off properly could be a huge change in gaming.

The AI in that game get dropped off by a ship, they walk to a location and start building a town. Each member wants their own house so they build it or give you quests to help them. They gather resources, chop wood, hammer nails and where they build is fairly random (we shall see how the town looks when they are done I dont know yet), they all have different professions, they had out exploration quests if you like and its all AI/RNG run.

As a programmer I know its completely possible and not very hard to create random generated quests and I might add often with more complexity then most quests you see in games however, a compelling story is a different matter, RNG a compelling story? now THERE is a challenge for the future  
    Gdemami

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    edited July 2017
    SEANMCAD said:

Virtual reality has just started. Or at least just started in earnest. Bethesda just announced VR doom.

That will be my first VR purchase and a day one purchase at that. I know skyrim is coming to playstation VR. Hopefully they move that to PC as that will also be a "day one purchase". I suppose what I'm saying is that good games are just starting to come to VR.

Once it's more than a few good games and mostly tech demos we'll be able to really say that VR is in full swing.
    Kyleran
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Virtual reality has just started. Or at least just started in earnest. Bethesda just announced VR doom.

That will be my first VR purchase and a day one purchase at that. I know skyrim is coming to playstation VR. Hopefully they move that to PC as that will also be a "day one purchase". I suppose what I'm saying is that good games are just starting to come to VR.

Once it's more than a few good games and mostly tech demos we'll be able to really say that VR is in full swing.
    so what other new trends you think might be coming up other than VR?

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,697
    There are two trends I would like to see come to gameplay:

1) World Building

I believe we are only just scratching the surface with world building tech. Minecraft and Trove are a good start, survival games where you can build camps / bases are good too, but nowhere near enough. 

I think we will start to see much greater world building become a common feature of regular games, rather than being the focus of the game. For example, I love GTA5, I think it's a great game. But, what if I could design and build a meth lab in game and have it function as a proper business? What if I could design and build an underground armoury where I could manufacture my own weapons?

More and more games are offering "building" as a feature, but it is either very limited, or is the whole focus of the game. I think Camelot Unchained is going to make a big leap forwards for building - not only can we build structures pretty much anywhere in the world, we also get to design them from scratch and they're destructible. Yet, this building is not the focus of the game - pvp is. 

I also believe that the ability to manipulate the world we are gaming in will also provide us with a greater sense of attachment to those worlds, thus increasing popularity and retention. 

2) Massively Multiplayer

We haven't even begun to scratch the surface of what is possible within a massively multiplayer environment. We have virtual worlds capable of supporting 100s / 1000s at a time, yet virtually no actual gameplay features that make use of being massively multiplayer. 

It is my hope that devs will eventually start to leverage the power of massively multiplayer. Achieving that sense of scale is simply not possible in any other way (cue Sean with claims of AI superiority :P ). 

As a simple example - Battlefield, but with 1000 player maps. Having 500v500 on a map would qualify as being massively multiplayer. Maps could last for an hour or more. Build in proper command structures, support roles etc into the gameplay and then let your players have at it. D-Day landings could be epic, with one supreme commander (player) not really joining in, but directing squads / tactics. 100s of players swarming the beaches with all sorts of weapons. 10s of players in vehicles etc. Could just end up being a mess of course, if it just devolves into a zerg then it's meaningless, but I believe it has unexplored potential. 

Same with MMORPGs. I would love to see some actual MM features! Imagine playing LotRO, but the battle for helms deep actually involved 100s of players defending and 100s attacking. May take a lot of organising, so perhaps these big, staged things need to be timed events co-ordinated by GMs, but there could also be organic stuff. Like, in CU we're going to be able to design and build our own structures. Lets say one realm gets together and builds an epic fortress. It takes 200 people 1 month to complete, but then becomes a focal point for the server. Regular 1000 player battles take place with assaults from all sides, crazy supply trains, stealth attacks, wall breeches and repairs...

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    There are plenty of 'armchair' game developers on this site.
    Fixed that for you.

postlarval

• MikaelJordanMikaelJordan Member CommonPosts: 20
    I think new trend will be "melting pot" game, like many game genres mix together in one game, however, still, there is one genre is the "core". Example:

- GTA 5 - More feature like you can recruit Gang Member - Invading/Protecting business like restaurants, bar, club, like how God Father did. Also, you have to calculate the profit to keep your gang is well funded. Build your own base, keep contact, do side missions to win "government" favor....Like everything, you need to do as a real God Father.

• sedatedkarmasedatedkarma Member UncommonPosts: 181
    I'll stay away from the VR topic, seems like its been hashed enough.

I see an uptick in Twin-Sticks.
    Happily playing Vanilla and BC WoW, again, since September 2016.

I'll stay away from the VR topic, seems like its been hashed enough.

I see an uptick in Twin-Sticks.
    I see an uptick in storms in games and I think soon someone will make storms have a serious impact on game play, like flooding your base for example

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited July 2017
    "flooding a base" would assume the low end of gaming ,like the survival games that do pretty much nothing.That would NOT be a market where the dev would spend extra,go the extra mile to create cool in depth ideas.They make survival games because they are easy,cheap and require VERY little assets/depth.
    In a mmorpg ,a genre i would like to see improved,it would not work,which is why i doubt very much that Ashes of creation will be any good.Similar to BDo and having unseen workers,just a stat box,i don't want a stat box,fake gaming ,i want a visible world,visible assets and REAL i can see with my own eyes workers.

So i look around,who might do something like that?Well Blizzard making the most money has shown me an inclination to instances and cheap game design.Square Enix is next and they are doing similar now although are more inclined to add more content ideas,i do not see weather or storms taken any further than what Square has already done with it.

Teso?Nah,they  show no signs for needing or where to use the technology/idea so nope.

Elyria?I highly doubt it,they are more a good marketing team,similar to Star Citizen,build up a good talk but nothing of  finished quality to show us.
    the obvious points to cash shops,developers are aiming at more ways to make money,NOT more ways to make gaming better.So the next wave of ideas will be similar to the F2p moniker and cash shops.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    A couple of my predictions:
    1. Universal personas - Games will move away from individual login credentials for each game. Instead, people will use a small number (if not one) central hub that logs you into everything. We are already seeing this with Steam and Facebook. It's sensible to expect this trend to grow.

2. Cloud Computing - Especially in MMOs, affordable computing power will allow for more robust simulation. We are already seeing companies like Amazon and SpatialOS offer cloud computing solutions for games - I think this will be a standard in a few years, resulting in the ability to simulate thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of NPCs/animals in high detail.

3. Language-free content - This is probably 10 years away. People will be able to create content (be it websites or games) regardless of language, automatically displaying everything to the client in their native language. You will be able to text-chat, eventually voice-chat, with others in your own language, while they will be responding back in theirs. The technology to make this happen is very close - I think it will be "solved" in 5 years, being commonly used in around 10 years time.

4. Personalised Content - People will be presented with different game experiences, based on who they are. This is common in e-shops and on Youtube today, while becoming more and more common on Steam as well. I think this will become the norm inside of games as well, showing different types of content to different users. This will drive better micro-transaction sales, so it's a no-brainer this will be a top priority for AAA studios soon.

5. "Partnership Models" - This will be the likely evolution of Kickstarter, where people will be buying shares in companies (and games) as they get developed. I am no expert, but I believe the laws around investments from unaccredited investors (people like you and me) have been relaxed in the USA recently. Crowfall and Shroud of the Avatar have done this recently. Given the number of failed Kickstarters, companies who move to the share selling model will have higher appeal over traditional crowd funding. My guess is that this will eventually lead to crowdfunding becoming a share-based model, while other platforms will be purely about donating to causes you are passionate about (with no material/product in return). There will be nothing in between.
    KyleranPhaserlightGormogon