Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Marvel Heroes Omega - Why Were Fantastic Four Shown the Door? - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageMarvel Heroes Omega - Why Were Fantastic Four Shown the Door? - MMORPG.com

A while back, Gazillion Games was forced to remove the Fantastic Four (Thing, Mr. Fantastic, Invisible Woman, and Human Torch) as well as The Silver Surfer from Marvel Heroes Online. We say forced, because frankly, that’s what happened. Read on for our brief synopsis of what’s shaking down between Marvel and 20th Century Fox, and why we hope this means good things eventually for Reed Richards, Silver Surfer, and the rest.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    Glad I got my 4 heroes before this happened.
    maskedweaselOctagon7711MrMelGibson

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    unforutnately Console will never see them, and worst of all they don't get Silver Surfer now either.  He was the only character I wanted on console. 

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Good thing I've never been a fan of the Fantastic Four. Most boring superheroes ever.
    ManWithNoTan
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited July 2017

Tokken said:

Glad I got my 4 heroes before this happened.

My first thought was they had yanked them out completely. I love the Silver Surfer. Don't scare me like that. :smile:
    MrMelGibson

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited July 2017

unforutnately Console will never see them, and worst of all they don't get Silver Surfer now either.  He was the only character I wanted on console. 

It sucks. Invisible woman was the last heroe i purchased on PC before i decided to wait on the console port. She was a lot of fun and was looking forward to buying her on PS4. Really disappointing, really. Why bother making a game based on an IP if you have to stop using content from that ip? shitty licensing deals :(

Now for me personally, if this ever happens with the X-men i'd never touch this game again.
    maskedweaselOctagon7711

It sucks. Invisible woman was the last heroe i purchased on PC before i decided to wait on the console port. She was a lot of fun and was looking forward to buying her on PS4. Really disappointing, really. Why bother making a game based on an IP if you have to stop using content from that ip? shitty licensing deals :(

Now for me personally, if this ever happens with the X-men i'd never touch this game again.
    I'm not sure that this could happen with the X-Men. Fantastic Four characters weren't selling all that well and didn't have either quality or quantity in terms of costumes. X-Men, on the other hand, do sell and tend to have more and better costumes (and they make up a big chunk of the roster).
    rojoArcueidOctagon7711

Well the thing about that is Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite supposedly doesn't have any Xmen in it.  Pretty awful.. they've never had a game without them.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Whats sad is that Fox has ruined the Fantastic Four so much, that even people in this thread think they are bad (Likely due to the Movies portrayal). The comics were some of the best selling comics in history and were selling well even when they broke up the Fantastic Four. (The Thing is still around and I believe so is The Human Torch)
    Octagon7711
    Celcius said:
    Whats sad is that Fox has ruined the Fantastic Four so much, that even people in this thread think they are bad (Likely due to the Movies portrayal). The comics were some of the best selling comics in history and were selling well even when they broke up the Fantastic Four. (The Thing is still around and I believe so is The Human Torch)
    Thing was part of the Guardians of the Galaxy recently, Human Torch moved to the Avengers at some point.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Yeah I read one of the comics where he was in Guardians and was like whoa what is he doing here? I didn't know Human Torch was part of the avengers..that is interesting. There are rumors of Reed Richards coming back for the Marvel Legacy comics as well
    maskedweaselPhry
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited July 2017
    Aeander said:
    I'm not sure that this could happen with the X-Men. Fantastic Four characters weren't selling all that well and didn't have either quality or quantity in terms of costumes. X-Men, on the other hand, do sell and tend to have more and better costumes (and they make up a big chunk of the roster).
    There were no X-Men in the upcoming heros-to-be-released until Beast was finally voted in by the players as the final community pick.  I imagine Marvel wanted Gaz to remove the X-Men too just like how Marvel vs Capcom Infinite doesn't have them but had to relent because without the X-Men, it was 100% guaranteed the game would go out of business.  I have no proof for that but it seems likely considering how much of the games' villains, playable heroes, and costumes consist of X-Men characters.  Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if not being allowed to make any new X-Men (until Beast was voted in) was what got chief producer and Diablo guy Brevik to bail ship, considering he left right around the time the likely time that new heroes for the upcoming year were being discussed internally.

Marvel Heroes really got screwed by that licensing feud between Marvel and Fox...
    MrMelGibson
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Well the thing about that is Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite supposedly doesn't have any Xmen in it.  Pretty awful.. they've never had a game without them.
    ooh i wasn't aware of that. Awful indeed. I hope they reconsider. Back in the MvC2 days Wolverine was the reason i started playing MvC games.
    maskedweasel

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Thanks for the writeup about the FF MMORPG.com, I spent around 15K in G's gifting the FF toons to people off of Steam that couldn't acquire them before the deadline for whatever reason.
    Talahar
  • CaptFabulousCaptFabulous Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Wasn't there some word a few weeks ago that Fox wanted to make a Fantastic Four movie based around Franklin Richards and his sister? Basically a kid's movie?

It doesn't make sense why Gazillion would be forced to remove one Fox property but not the others. There's something missing.
  • DztBlkDztBlk Member UncommonPosts: 127
    I've only unlocked Human Torch and Sue Richards. The others are still showing as options to unlock though...atleast for me.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I never really been a FF4 fan myself, compared to the Cap, Spiderman or similar heroes the story just seems a bit too goofy for my taste but I guess everyone have their own favorites. Ah, well, as long as they stay away from Ultimate FF4 it could at least make for an amusing movie.
  • jaymesbondjaymesbond Member UncommonPosts: 50
    I have a question: why is Doctor Doom still purchasable?  I don't know if he's playable in the console versions, but he can still be purchased in the PC version.

As with the dispute between Fox and Marvel/Disney, I bet there are just dumb, stubborn people on both sides not willing to compromise at all even if a new contract would benefit both parties.

While I have no proof or actual knowledge of what happened during contract negotiations, I don't doubt that Gazillion just rolled over on the matter of the Fantastic Four and the Silver Surfer, maybe to get more favorable contract terms in other areas.  I can see Marvel/Disney not wanting the game to promote those characters with new costumes or updates, but to remove the ability to purchase them completely?  That makes no sense, somehow keeping those characters purchasable promotes Fox's movies?
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Probably boils down to F4 not selling anymore since most people playing MH probably already have them so there's no point renewing the license. I'm guessing there will probably be more stuff removed later for the same reason.
  • DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    Too bad for the game, but it's not like "Marvel Heroes" actually act like the real Marvel heroes anyway. No real flying, web-slinging, giant leaps, or anything like that.

It would be good news if Fox finally did the FF movie right, but hard to believe they'd have at it again. None of the movies caught the spirit and wonder of scientific exploration, they were all too dark and dismal and full of things that were NOT the team working together, and they totally failed to get that terrific villain, Dr. Doom, anywhere close to right. Doom is a wonderful mix of great potential gone tragically wrong, incredible megalomania backed by true genius and power, and great evil produced in the pursuit of sincere good intentions.
    Asm0deusCogohi
    BruceYee said:
    Probably boils down to F4 not selling anymore since most people playing MH probably already have them so there's no point renewing the license. I'm guessing there will probably be more stuff removed later for the same reason.
    I don't know if they have individual hero licenses with individual expiration dates to work with here, but their Marvel license itself expires some time in 2019. It's possible that they're just trying to play nice with Disney/Marvel. 
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Yea, Disney/Marvel are the ones with the power in the relationship, really.  If they say "Sit!", Gaz generally can't do anything but obey. 
    I have a question: why is Doctor Doom still purchasable?  I don't know if he's playable in the console versions, but he can still be purchased in the PC version.

As with the dispute between Fox and Marvel/Disney, I bet there are just dumb, stubborn people on both sides not willing to compromise at all even if a new contract would benefit both parties.

While I have no proof or actual knowledge of what happened during contract negotiations, I don't doubt that Gazillion just rolled over on the matter of the Fantastic Four and the Silver Surfer, maybe to get more favorable contract terms in other areas.  I can see Marvel/Disney not wanting the game to promote those characters with new costumes or updates, but to remove the ability to purchase them completely?  That makes no sense, somehow keeping those characters purchasable promotes Fox's movies?
    Supposedly, doom is too integral to the story missions they've already created for them to get rid of him.  He was already published for both consoles.

The problem I see is now they can tank doom if they want by "balancing" him to be awful so people don't want to play him.

As for Silver Surfer, I've been asking to what extent he isn't allowed to be used.  Is it just Silver Surfer or all Heralds.  They haven't responded on their forums.

Also people are now speculating which characters will be stand-ins for their reskinned powers.

They mentioned Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan) will be joining the roster, so they think she'll just be the reskinned Mr. Fantastic.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Because Dr. Doom hasn't made an appearance in any of the movies. There were a couple of low-grade knockoffs which wouldn't even qualify as alpha versions of the first Doombots, but Doom himself has yet to grace us with his presence on the silver screen. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

Because Dr. Doom hasn't made an appearance in any of the movies. There were a couple of low-grade knockoffs which wouldn't even qualify as alpha versions of the first Doombots, but Doom himself has yet to grace us with his presence on the silver screen. 
    He was in the first and second fantastic four movies. I didn't bother seeing the 3rd.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

He was in the first and second fantastic four movies. I didn't bother seeing the 3rd.

I think he means a proper Doom, not the shit portrayals from the movies.
    maskedweasel