Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You ever asked yourself "what's the point?"?

13»

Comments

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    cheyane said:
    Darkest Dungeon kept me up until midnight last night playing. Had I been asking "what's the point?" I don't think I would have been enjoying it. 
    I think the game has become very hard now I was beginning to think like my sad heroes "hopeless", "despair" and "dissolution".
    "I'm only happy when it rains..."♫

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• CorileannaCorileanna Member UncommonPosts: 94
    Yea, I can't even force myself to play certain games anymore, when bored or whatever. SWTOR made me lose some money on subs cause i got bored after a few days, and felt that starting a fresh character at lvl 1 was pointless.. and the story at 60, with the Eternal empire was weird I only made it lvl 65, doing the chapters..

I am starting up my crafting/art business again though irl, and that has helped me rely less on video games to occupy my time. :)

Art is a passion of mine, and I LOVE crocheting dolls that people ask from me. My next one will likely be a TV show character like invader zim, just need more supplies. :P
    Phaserlightfurion1025
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    It's a point of addiction, that's what keeps you playing, and MMO's are strong on that, it's just that when it came to get burnt down from playing some MMO's, and you check new ones, you will find the same type of game and gameplay over and over again, and on my side it got tiring.

When it comes to play MMO's in something that I could consider more dedicated to, it would have to be a different and worthy MMO from what I have played for many years already, that should bring some oxygen in.
  • Brald_IronheartBrald_Ironheart Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Loke666 said:
    I think the problem is that the point of close to all modern MMOs is first XP then loot. Your characters motivation is always exactly the same and that isn't good.

Here is where an old game really shined: DAoC. It had a rather different motivation, sure, you still wanted XP and loot but you gained those more to win the war then just for yourself and goals like that makes a game far more fun. Other older games put a lot of focus on your guild ( a few newer does this as well, games like DFO but they tend to have other problems) and building something together.

I think the MMOs need new ways to motivate players, now we usually get a "you are the hero" story but that ends rather fast and after that you get stuck in the gear hamsterwheel with greed as your only reason to continue playing.

I think we need more long term goals then that. It doesn't help that it is so fast to reach max level and complete the story a game have, while there is a bit of story to the raids I don't think it is enough to motivate that many players anymore.

Things like building a city or castle (dungeon works fine as well) together with other players is one thing that work, you have a goal and help eachother to create something. Personal owned houses, farms, mines or similar also helps.
    I would much rather be motivated by competing with other players to own or control limited land, wealth, and resources in a virtual world.  Rather than simply work toward increasing the power of my magical or advanced technological gear (being mass-produced somewhere in invisible factories).  Also, killing and looting is not the most fun thing I could ever think of to do.  Non-combat professions and activities would become much more important in a more realistic virtual world.  Feeding and housing soldiers that need to eat and sleep is very important in the real world.  Clothing and equipping them is also much more important if things can wear out, be destroyed, or be damaged beyond repair.  Most human activities could be interesting in an mmorpg if they are important and needed in a more realistic and complex virtual world. 

As it is, the only thing that motivates me to play the one mmorpg I still play is that I like my character.  I can motivate myself to make him more powerful at times.  At times.  And action combat can be fun, depending on how it's implemented.  No longer am I able to bring myself to grind endlessly in an mmorpg without fun action combat.  And I can't even do that without taking breaks from the game, sometimes very long ones.
    Corileanna
    Roleplayinn.com - New forum for people who love role-playing of all kinds - tabletop/pencil & paper, live-action, and role-playing in mmorpgs.
  • DrDread74DrDread74 Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Play something else, you are clinging to MMOs like a bad drug. Try another game, try 10 other games. I've gone from MMOs to PlayerUnknowns Battlegrounds to For Honor and back to Darkest Dungeon which I used to play a year ago but started up again because my wife is playing it.

Try something else. You can ALWAYS come back to MMOs 
    KyleranPhaserlightfurion1025

http://baronsofthegalaxy.com/
     An MMO game I created, solo. It's live now and absolutely free to play!
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Hey folks,

I wanted to share this thought that's been bugging me for a while.

I've made similar posts before, but let's look at it from a different angle.

You ever thought "what's the point?" when playing your fav mmorpg?

Is it mmo burnout? Is it gaming burnout in general? How do you deal with such thoughts?

I personally am stuck in a vicious circle (been in it for a while) where you just circle through games, never finding that one "home". I do have other hobbies, yeah, but hell, I want to kick back and relax once in a while and play my fav game, raid, gather, craft and such.

Sharing is caring!
    It's burnout... :(
    furion1025

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    What's the point of listening to some Music?
    What's the point of watching a Movie?
    What's the point of watching a Football match?

What's the point of this thread?

[Deleted User]furion1025

• Cybersig211Cybersig211 Member UncommonPosts: 173
    Thinking back the best part was the social bonds formed in game and a community that was more entertaining than the game itself typically.

Great games mechanically like wildstar, i couldnt get into because the community was non existent or a total snooze.  A game like darkfall, which i loved mechanically for the pve (yeah i know) was a game i played more than any because the community was hilarious and active in chat and made things like spending hours mining then losing it all on the way back fun.

Truth be told all mmorpgs were/are boring as hell as games, even the good ones.  Maybe the modern story based mmorpgs like ESO and SWTOR i could do alone because of the story being consistent and frequent.

But if you think about how you ever played some games so long chances are it was because of the people not the game.

So the point was enjoying a community, as many mmorpgs had very different community personalities as a whole and many of them were extremely interesting and entertaining, though that sort of died out with the prevalence of VOIP programs being mandatory.
  • nerovergilnerovergil Member UncommonPosts: 680
    have fun? not fun then why play go jump the bridge
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    ste2000 said:
    What's the point of listening to some Music?
    What's the point of watching a Movie?
    What's the point of watching a Football match?

What's the point of this thread?

entertainment, of course. Unless you don't think forum pvp is fun.