Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BDO - What do you do?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
I never gave BDO a chance and thought I just might.  What's the point of the game?  Is it just a generic themepark where you grind to 50 and then raid?  I don't like PvP.  Is it non-consensual?  Thanks!

Comments

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    What do I do and what have I done, well lets see.

Done and still do the classic quests like in any other MMO.
    Built myself a fishing boat and explored the northern island and ofc fishing.
    Built my own wagon to trade.
    Having several craftings going with my slaves errr....workers.
    Making all sorts of different foods and drinks.
    Doing the amity mini games were ever I find them.
    Harvesting.
    Gold digging in rivers.
    Grinding.
    Exploring.
    Farming yes real farming atm I'm growing sunflowers.
    Horse racing.
    Catching wild horses and breeding.

Yep plenty of things to make me occupied.

See you don't need to PVP to have fun in this game and no you won't get ganked every single day when you hit 50 like some claims.
    Azaron_Nightbladerena_ryugu
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    edited July 2017
    Maurgrim said:
    What do I do and what have I done, well lets see.

Done and still do the classic quests like in any other MMO.
    Built myself a fishing boat and explored the northern island and ofc fishing.
    Built my own wagon to trade.
    Having several craftings going with my slaves errr....workers.
    Making all sorts of different foods and drinks.
    Doing the amity mini games were ever I find them.
    Harvesting.
    Gold digging in rivers.
    Grinding.
    Exploring.
    Farming yes real farming atm I'm growing sunflowers.
    Horse racing.
    Catching wild horses and breeding.

Yep plenty of things to make me occupied.

See you don't need to PVP to have fun in this game and no you won't get ganked every single day when you hit 50 like some claims.
    Pretty much all of that. And the devs highly discourage random ganking with a rather punishing karma system. You've probably seen the threads about it. It's unlikely you're going to get randomly jumped while just minding your own business. Unless it's in one of the high level grindspots.

There's also a robust housing system for those that like to decorate. xD

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    Crafting and Life Skills. To be honest, there is nothing compelling or even very interesting about the story or PVE combat. However, a little PVE combat combined with the crafting and life skills is almost enough to make for one of the best games in a generation. As others have said, Kakao Games has been trying desperately to quash non-consensual PVP, but I think they would need the full support of the developers for the game to make that happen, which they DO NOT have.

You will get ganked for no reason whatsoever. It doesn't happen very often and there is no penalty for getting ganked; but it will happen from time to time.
  • GavyneGavyne Member UncommonPosts: 116
    You grind to exp, you quest to gain contribution points & bag space.  Leveling is easy up until lvl 56, then it grinds to a screeching halt.

You will do more afk activities ingame than you would actively playing, because the game is designed that way.  Everything ingame related to lifeskills will take a long time, such as doing combines, cooking food/drinks, processing metal/wood, leveling horses for breeding, etc..  So expect to go afk often.   Nobody will sit there and watch processing that could take hours to finish, or horse leveling that could take upwards of a week to complete.  BDO is actually the perfect afk'ers game.

You will chance your luck in a game full of RNG, want to buy something on the market?  You have to get lucky.  Want to upgrade your gear?  You have to first get lucky to get the drop, then get extremely lucky to enhance your gear past DUO/TRI.  Get into a tussle with another player?  You have to get lucky and hope your grabs land before theirs do in midst of desyncs.  RNG rules this game, not so much early on but it hits you hard in the face once you get into mid-50's and later.  If you are a gambler, you'll love this game.

If you are the sightseeing type, you'll like this game because there's plenty to do outside of exping.  Horse riding, farming, sailing ships, chopping trees, etc..  If you enjoy questing, there's plenty of quests to do, however they don't reward you with exp.  So if you are expecting to quest to level, then that's not how this game works.  

If you enjoy grinding mobs then this game is it, you'll grind a lot.  Ultimately the endgame to BDO is grinding.  You'll know what I mean once you hit lvl 56.  PvP isn't an issue until you get towards the end where everybody is funneled into 2 grinding spots.  That's when non-consensual PvP kicks up a notch.

Played: EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-LOTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO-BDO
    Waiting For: CU & Vanilla WoW

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    OK, thanks guys.  I don't mind getting jumped occasionally, just so it's not a constant interruption.  I'm dealing with a hand injury, so I need to be kind of immobile and not mash too many buttons.  Is there a class that might work well for my needs?  I have read that the PvE fighting is pretty easy, which, if true, is probably a good thing for me right now.
  • WoeToTheVanquishedWoeToTheVanquished Member UncommonPosts: 276
    BDO is a stress inducing and anxiety causing grind. you're expected to login every day to receive rewards which you'll sell to buy boss armor and weapons from the marketplace/black market -- and then you'll spend even more trying to enhance the gear. not to mention the leveling grind which, as previously mentioned, becomes a terrible grind at level 56+. none of your characters share the same account benefits. you can buy cash shop items and sell them for a set value on the market -- which is actually a drop in the bucket of value compared to what you believe they're worth.

OK, thanks guys.  I don't mind getting jumped occasionally, just so it's not a constant interruption.  I'm dealing with a hand injury, so I need to be kind of immobile and not mash too many buttons.  Is there a class that might work well for my needs?  I have read that the PvE fighting is pretty easy, which, if true, is probably a good thing for me right now.

Wizard or Witch. Put Fireball in quick-slot #1, Explosion in #2, Lightning in #3

Mana Drain in #4, and your heals in #5 and #6.

Your rotation will be 1, 2, 3, right-mouse or 4 (if not on cooldown), repeat.

Dagger Stab is a great skill for PVE.

Azaron_NightbladePhry
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    BDO is a stress inducing and anxiety causing grind. you're expected to login every day to receive rewards which you'll sell to buy boss armor and weapons from the marketplace/black market -- and then you'll spend even more trying to enhance the gear. not to mention the leveling grind which, as previously mentioned, becomes a terrible grind at level 56+. none of your characters share the same account benefits. you can buy cash shop items and sell them for a set value on the market -- which is actually a drop in the bucket of value compared to what you believe they're worth.

You should probably not play it then. Unless stress and anxiety is what you enjoy when you ...relax...? Anyway.

I just started BDO and I find it very interesting. I want to do it all, and I often feel like I ma pulling myself in too many directions at once, and none of them suck.

If I had to mention a weak point I would say community followed by PvE. PvE (at least sub - 56) is pretty much a high-speed slaughter fest. Depending on which class you pick anyway. I went Witch out of the gate and just giggle as I pull entire areas and then AoE them down. Next was Dk, same deal just Melee. I found out last night that both of those classes are highly sought after in node wars (no idea what that is at this point) so I feel like I may main one or the other.

I also rolled a Warrior, and while it is not as fast or deadly as the other two I have experience with, it just does not die either, so there is that.

It is an interesting game, lots to do and I have yet to PvP, and the grind is nothing imo, but again, I was an old school L2 player, so after that, there is no grind that can phase me.
    Azaron_NightbladeMrMelGibson

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    A friend gifted BDO to me so trying it out. Trying my best to play it for what it is and honestly it's a solid game. Just have to get used to the style of it.

I'm still learning so pretty much only doing quests, exploring and grinding which is the best way to learn class play anyway. It's a combo chaining game so much more like a Street Fighter mmo than an older school Lotro/Wow/Swtor setup. You explore the world in sort of a hybrid Asheron's Call, grind way with a little ESO quest hub/hidden quests way (far less congested feeling than ESO though).

It's also rather complex and for a Korean game I am finding it far more western friendly than most.

It's so much more of a twitchy play style game that I went the extreme end from slower casting like Wizard/Witch and am playing a Ninja. Honestly it's pretty damn fun with complex game play. I like the default button combos and only put the rare power on my mmo mouse. It's better suited for consumables.

It's cheap and if you don't care about the cash shop and play it as an mmo it's a decent game to waste time in while awaiting mmorpg's better suited to alternate play styles (for me it's a modern old school coop play mmorpg). I'm not finding BDO has many reasons to play along side more than 1-2 friends while leveling however. Pvp later I suppose.
    Azaron_Nightblade

You stay sassy!

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    Oh, I hope you like to grind my friend! 

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    I never gave BDO a chance and thought I just might.  What's the point of the game?  Is it just a generic themepark where you grind to 50 and then raid?  I don't like PvP.  Is it non-consensual?  Thanks!
    if you have a good rig, then its one of the best games out there for 1440p.  

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
    OK, thanks for all the info.  So, Wizard and Witch are on the non-twitchy end of twitch combat?  I suck at twitchy, action combat for the most part, and with my hand...hmm...
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    edited July 2017
    OK, thanks for all the info.  So, Wizard and Witch are on the non-twitchy end of twitch combat?  I suck at twitchy, action combat for the most part, and with my hand...hmm...
    In all honesty, it depends a lot on what areas you go to. The low level zones are pretty chill, and you don't have to go nuts on mobility as long as you keep up with your gear... but if you venture into Valencia, and you find yourself facing mobs that hit like a truck and don't die easily, you're going to be doing a lot of dodging and combo spamming.

They're easily avoidable of course, and that's pretty much level 56+ content. If you take your time, it would be a while before you got there. Especially if you take your time learning everything, and potentially get entirely sidetracked by life skills, which is mostly what I do. xD

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

OK!  Is Valencia required to get good gear?  I don't need top gear or anything, just enough to do OK in normal PvE content.
    OK!  Is Valencia required to get good gear?  I don't need top gear or anything, just enough to do OK in normal PvE content.

Gear is totally different in BDO than just about any other MMORPG. You choose a "gear set", for lack of a better term, and just continue to upgrade that gear set via black spirit stones, hard stones, and sharp stones. Of course, it's easier said than done when it comes to anything above TRI quality. In fact, some players choose to sell all their "upgrade raw materials" and just buy the gear they want from the in-game Marketplace.

Gear is totally different in BDO than just about any other MMORPG. You choose a "gear set", for lack of a better term, and just continue to upgrade that gear set via black spirit stones, hard stones, and sharp stones. Of course, it's easier said than done when it comes to anything above TRI quality. In fact, some players choose to sell all their "upgrade raw materials" and just buy the gear they want from the in-game Marketplace.

OK.  I mean, since I don't plan to raid or anything, I guess I don't need great gear.  Just enough to get me through normal PvE content.
    edited July 2017
    Allrighty.  There's no real need to grind mobs in the tougher areas, if it's too difficult for me?  Also, why is it only $10 on Steam for the basic game?  Is there a monthly sub?  If so, that's actually a bonus to me.

Post edited by MightyUnclean on
  • GavyneGavyne Member UncommonPosts: 116
    That's how much the game costs, $10, whether you buy it from steam or from their website.  It's a buy-to-play game, no subscription, but you're expected to want to spend cash on cosmetic/convenience/value packs/pets/horse/boost items.

It's a cheap game to try, and I highly recommend the lvl 1-56 game for new players.  I just can't support the game for what they put you through post-56, talking about the grind, cash needed, heavy RNG endgame, and the frustration of enhancement/gear upgrade system.

If you don't want buyer's remorse, don't dump a lot of cash into the game early on.  Get to 56+ and see what the game is like later on, then decide if you want to invest further.  You should have fun from 1-56.

Played: EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-LOTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO-BDO
    Waiting For: CU & Vanilla WoW

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    I just explore and do combat. That's my preference over life skills with the exception of fishing.

I don't do enchanting anymore, I just save my money and buy the best gear I can.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    So life skills are like fishing, farming, etc.?  I generally enjoy a bit of those.  And, oddly, I'd rather grind mobs than quests at max level.  I find it more relaxing.
    Sovrath
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I suppose one of the main reasons this game didn't click with me was because I've never been into or really cared about crafting/lifeskills.  That's a big portion of this game and not having interest in that doesn't leave me with much.  Hopefully, you do and end up enjoying this game because it is good.  Just not for me.
  • karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    edited July 2017
    No, you grind to max lvl, then aoe grind mobs for .01% chance drops, spend 5 minutes doing your crafting before the game tells you cant do anymore and spend money on the cash shop.
    Phrysomeforumguy
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    karmath said:
    No, you grind to max lvl, then aoe grind mobs for .01% chance drops, spend 5 minutes doing your crafting before the game tells you cant do anymore and spend money on the cash shop.
    I think your talking about a different game there Karmath, firstly, crafting is done by your slaves and it is all about how skilled they are in regards to how long it takes to make something, not only that but the amount of things they can make is limited by the resources you possess to make the thing. When it comes to processing materials, that doesn't take energy at all, so you can do that 24/7 if you really want to, the only thing that takes energy, is gathering skills, and that can take hours to use up. Same with cooking, doesn't use energy up, so go ahead and make 50,000 beers a day if you have the mats, the only real way of using up energy quickly is to invest that energy in a node, and its not something you even have to do, but congrats on making a misleading statement based on 0 evidence.
    MrMelGibsonste2000
  • karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Phry said:
    karmath said:
    I think your talking about a different game there Karmath, firstly, crafting is done by your slaves and it is all about how skilled they are in regards to how long it takes to make something, not only that but the amount of things they can make is limited by the resources you possess to make the thing. When it comes to processing materials, that doesn't take energy at all, so you can do that 24/7 if you really want to, the only thing that takes energy, is gathering skills, and that can take hours to use up. Same with cooking, doesn't use energy up, so go ahead and make 50,000 beers a day if you have the mats, the only real way of using up energy quickly is to invest that energy in a node, and its not something you even have to do, but congrats on making a misleading statement based on 0 evidence.
    Pretty sure I remember all crafting using the cp pool, dunno if that's changed but I would hit a wall crafting pretty quick and couldn't just make whatever I wanted when I wanted even if I had the entire day to play to dedicate to it.  I got to max in the first week and quit at after a couple of months. Dunno why you'd defend a cancerous game that only exists to siphon money out of your wallet by being intentionally annoying.
    Phry
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Wizard or Witch. Put Fireball in quick-slot #1, Explosion in #2, Lightning in #3

Mana Drain in #4, and your heals in #5 and #6.

Your rotation will be 1, 2, 3, right-mouse or 4 (if not on cooldown), repeat.

Dagger Stab is a great skill for PVE.

Once you get to level 56, you won't use any of those skills again, chances are you won't even have any skill points invested in them, both Wizard and Witch fight very differently than you are indicating, although it would probably work reasonably well at low level, but at that level the game isn't designed to be all that challenging, its all about learning how to play the game.
    For Wizard, for example, one of your most damaging abilities is a wall of water, but you cannot stay in one place as either a Wizard or a Witch, with every attack you have to move immediately, and that involves using the evasive movement, throwing in cataclysms, hellfires, Chilling Waves, Destruction Orbs, Water Spheres/aq bombs and aqua jail when you can, and in PVP your going to need to use slow and knot effectively, and if your wondering about hotkeying those, don't bother you'll just end up slowing yourself down and its not as effective as actually using those combo's directly, as for Dagger Stab though :D