Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FF or WOW

DeadlobsterDeadlobster Member UncommonPosts: 126
I've downloaded both. I had a level 70 in wow about 7 years ago. Burning Crusade. I've downloaded FF and I'm looking for a little advice. WoW looks dead. I've seen 2/3 peeps at starter zone. I want to play from the start to relearn the game. FF looks vibrant. I think I prefer the style of WoW. Good aul sword and sorcery with funny pandas... oops forgot about the panda race hehehe. Seriously though, i prefer the feel of Wow but being an older, much older game, am I wasting my time getting into it. I just left BDO for the second time. I'm sick of games that require me to play all the time. It's a fookin money pit. When I have downtime and I'm not playing I feel I should be :) make of that what you will. 
Any advice is welcome. I've no probs with subs. Prefer that to cash shops. Just wondering if I'm deluding myself going back to wow. I've 8 days left on wow sub and I think FF can take my to 35. I like pve and pvp. I don't mind being limited to battlegrounds or arenas although I like the option of open world. Am I likely to get ganked constantly leveling in wow?
Anyhoo, Thanks for any help or advice supplied

Deadlobster

Comments

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Am I likely to get ganked constantly leveling in wow?

You said it, at low levels WoW is dead, so I don't know how you could be ganked.
    And if I have to be honest World PvP in WoW died many years ago anyway, so you shouldn't worry too much about that.

By what you are saying, it looks like WoW is the game for you, though I personally hate the current incarnation of the game.
    FF requires more dedication than WoW, and since you left BDO because you felt like you had to play all the time, I don't think playing FF will improve your situation by much.

[Deleted User]

• darkszgzdarkszgz Member UncommonPosts: 21
    If you don¡t want to raid you can play wow without obligations or not feeling like its a second job, but if you are planning to raid... GL you will have to play everyday to farm mats/pots/gold and of course farm a countless ammount of Ap. (points to upgrade your weapon)
    Kyleran
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    It kinda depends on what you're looking for. If you want (open world) PvP, then WoW is your game. If you want arenas to PvP in, either one is okay. Also, like you already stated, WoW in lower zones is dead, dead, dead, while FFXIV is alive everywhere because the way the game is setup. IMO, FF delivers a better story than WoW as well, but you gotta like it - a lot of the story is brought to you through cut scenes (and some are REAL LONG - have had a couple of up to half an hour).
  • ssaninssanin Member UncommonPosts: 22
    i, personally, hate the FF story.  Hiveleader did a rundown of FFXIV recently, and i find it rather on point with how i feel about it.  FF is trying to be cute and serious at the same time, and for me, it doesn't work.
    WOW has decent lore, but the story is almost nonexistent.  Whatever you want in terms of story in WOW you have to either watch Youtube videos or read books / comics that they make.

PVP i think is in better state in FF than in WOW.  I can't believe i just said that...

WOW, in it's current form, has legendary weapons.  Meaning you level a weapon for your SPEC. If you decide you hate your spec / class and want to reroll, you got to do it all from scratch.  THere are catchup mechanics, but i think the entire system sucks.  Because it punishes you for developer's screwups.
    FF if you level 1 tank class, you can use a lot of the gear from that class on another tank class of your choice.  So it doesn't destroy your life if something is not balanced properly.  I have 2 healers at high level and i find them both fun and interchangeable.

Feel of the game is still better in WOW i think.  It's a lot more fast paced than FF.  FF is a bit slower, but is still very clean.

Finally i'd like to say that you are looking at MMOs, where the whole point is for you to play as long and as frequently as possible.  If you just want to log in, experience something fun and log out, look at Secret World Legends. It has an amazing quest system, amazing story arch and an OK combat system. 
  • BananaSoupBananaSoup Member UncommonPosts: 180
    ssanin said:
    (...)look at Secret World Legends. It has an amazing quest system, amazing story arch and an OK combat system. 
    It also has crap animations and outdated graphics wich together with "stiff" combat is a no-no to me. Tried it twice. Once after it's recent release and once again after the balancing patch.
    Terrible game.
  • NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    edited July 2017
    I love both of them and right now I'm playing both of them at the same time.

FF14 has better dungeons, better story, better crafting, very good housing system and better graphics.

WoW has much better leveling experience, better pvp, more freedom, better world design, better combat system.

Both games have great raiding experience, open world content, music and story.

Before Stormblood I was playing Gw2 with WoW. I don't know why but I just can't stop playing WoW. I play on the Argent Dawn which is a rp server. I always find something to do in WoW which I can't find in another mmorpg. There are tons of content and most importantly there is a huge amount of side activities to do. And even after all these years I can't find any other mmorpg which has better world design and freedom. I always play on rp servers in WoW becasuse the rp comminty in this game is just amazing (which is funny because other servers like Twisting Nether etc. has some of the worst comminities in any mmorpg). The only mmorpg other than WoW which I can easily do rp is Lotro and even that game has inferior world design when you compare it with WoW in my opinion.

You can pick either of them if you're looking for a good pve experience. Both of them are good mmorpg's.
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    edited July 2017
    WoW has better optimization (they're king) and a faster GCD.  That means you can spam abilities more than FFXIV.

That being said FFXIV is very solid.  The only issues with stability I've seen from FFXIV now is too many people in an area or when they get hit with a DDoS.  I would ask yourself if you like the Final Fantasy franchise at all.  If the answer is no, you will prob not like FFXIV.  It pulls a lot of references and influences from the earlier games.  The game does have some phenomenal dungeons and have mechanics in there (especially Stormblood) that are required to be followed.  The trinity isn't just a suggestion in FFXIV, often it's a requirement.

• DeadlobsterDeadlobster Member UncommonPosts: 126
    I didn't like playing FF when it was released although I was totally hungover that weekend :) I haven't played FF since FFVII on the playstation. I would probably prefer WoW but I'm not sure I would have much to do if everyone is a millionaire and I come along with no money and leveling from the lonely starter zones. I should probably mess with both for awhile. I can playy FF until I hit 35 (Ithink) and I have a few days of Wow left.
    Oh and thanks for swift and helpful comments. 
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    If you're going to play WoW, play on a populated server. I personally can't stand either after having played so many themeparks. One can only grind quests, and then dungeons, and then raids for so long before it completely burns you out.

Between the two, I prefer WoW. The combat is much better, and being that I spend 90% of my time in-combat, I tend to lean towards games with better combat. I also like the fully custom UI's that you can set-up for WoW. 
  • LivedeffloLivedefflo Member UncommonPosts: 23
    *F* wow.... why not Destiny 2 or Anthem? The community in WoW after playing since Vanilla beta is horrible. I quit mmo's after playing since 1999 and original EQ. I play single player or multi-coop games. I just got tired of playing mmo's since you just grind and grind the same ole content for gear and then new content drops and you do it all over again. Kinda pointless to me IMO. FFXIV is much better though but still the same ole same ole. 
    BananaSoup
  • BananaSoupBananaSoup Member UncommonPosts: 180
    edited July 2017
    *F* wow.... why not Destiny 2 or Anthem? The community in WoW after playing since Vanilla beta is horrible. I quit mmo's after playing since 1999 and original EQ. I play single player or multi-coop games. I just got tired of playing mmo's since you just grind and grind the same ole content for gear and then new content drops and you do it all over again. Kinda pointless to me IMO. FFXIV is much better though but still the same ole same ole. 
    Because neither of those two games i even released?
    For my FPS fun I usually log into BF1. Been playing battlefield games for a good few years. Getting more into WoW. Got jumped by a rogue yesterday. Brings back memories. I do love sandbox. I'm an old school swg player. But games like BDO which look awesome are designed around pumping more and more of your money in. My issue with BDO was, if I didn't play it for a day, I felt I was loosing as I wasn't gathering or grinding or whatever else. I like paying and playing a lot. But I don't want to feel like I have to be playing every day of the week.
    ssanin said:

Finally i'd like to say that you are looking at MMOs, where the whole point is for you to play as long and as frequently as possible.  If you just want to log in, experience something fun and log out, look at Secret World Legends. It has an amazing quest system, amazing story arch and an OK combat system. 
    I tried it the other day and I didn't like the feel. Which is a pity because, as you said, the story is supposed to be amazing.