Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How To Build Your First House - Life is Feudal Videos - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Saxx0n said:

Saxx0n said:

Grym said:

Full loot, open PvP, asset destruction...

I don't see this working out well for the crafters that work their butts off just to build this small hovel; log off and come back the next day to find some jack-wagon has burned their humble home to the ground.

It just "reeks" of all kinds of fun doesn't it?...

Grym said:

I don't see this working out well for the crafters that work their butts off just to build this small hovel; log off and come back the next day to find some jack-wagon has burned their humble home to the ground.

Life is Frustrating (AF)

Another game that was conceived in the days of high adventure when full loot, non-consensual PvP actually seemed like something that might appeal to a lot of players. Add to that the joy of having your shit torn down all the time, and you've got a sure hit that will appeal to that huge population of raving sadists and masochists.

When you build at a location and build a claim monument it prevents asset destruction except for "Judgment Hour" which is the only window that allows any type of destruction. This mechanic coupled with the karma system penalties when committing crime make wanton destruction a decision that has long term consequences. Life is Feudal encourages strong group play for long term success in the MMO setting. Anyone who asks questions or reads further into the facts of the game usually avoid the tired old cliche posts tied to other games of the genre that failed to have proper systems in place to ensure fun and exciting gameplay mechanics.

This sounds good.

I personally enjoy MMORPGs built around systems ensuring certain level of freedom and realism  as long as they are supported by adequate regulatory mechanisms designed to serve as a control preventing excessive level of negative behavior / abusing of these systems.

You just need to make sure the consequences are severe enough to represent an effective deterrent. If you achieve this, you end up with a superior product to games which rather give up on the freedom aspect and simply diasallow you to, for instance, hit another person in the game world. Such systems are like an equivalent of invisible walls to me. 

The conseqences if pushed far enough, "lowering your karma below -50" will permanently flag your character a muderous thieving villian and then everyone will see you flagged perma red and can all kill you without penalty. Another important note is the fact that the lower your karma rating the more skill points you lose upon each death. You can lose skill points to the level that you cannot even equip armor or weapons or maybe the poorest quality armor and weapons. A negative 50 flag is permanent for that toon. There is no reroll of toons in Life is Feudal. Each character purchases access to the main gameworld. Hence you live with your sins, or, you buy access for a new toon with real money. ;)
    So in short their business model is P2RemainAJerk. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited July 2017
    Spiider said:
    I play this. And I can tell that crafting is amazing. But its far too easy to steal and destroy. Life is Feudal indeed. I have no desire to craft anything any more when a pair of naked dudes with clubs can come in and steal it in 5 minutes. Reminds me of why Rust failed.
    So is this an example of how players skirt the karma penalties, basically running naked so no real risk other than using one characandter to destroy at no risk while perhaps having a 2nd character in good standing to receive the goods so to speak?

If so,  the karma system is flawed in my view, however it probably is realistic even today if two naked men broke into my house carrying clubs they could probabably take me down and trash my house. (unless I got to my guns first) ;)

That's the trouble with too much realism in video games, can suck the fun right out especially with something like FFA full loot PVP in play. (for those of us "sheep" who prefer to build rather than pillage others)

Was considering buying this today to give the YO version a go, but I think I'll hold off until I learn more about how prevalent an issue this might be.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Saxx0n said:

Saxx0n said:

Grym said:

Grym said:

Life is Frustrating (AF)

Another game that was conceived in the days of high adventure when full loot, non-consensual PvP actually seemed like something that might appeal to a lot of players. Add to that the joy of having your shit torn down all the time, and you've got a sure hit that will appeal to that huge population of raving sadists and masochists.

When you build at a location and build a claim monument it prevents asset destruction except for "Judgment Hour" which is the only window that allows any type of destruction. This mechanic coupled with the karma system penalties when committing crime make wanton destruction a decision that has long term consequences. Life is Feudal encourages strong group play for long term success in the MMO setting. Anyone who asks questions or reads further into the facts of the game usually avoid the tired old cliche posts tied to other games of the genre that failed to have proper systems in place to ensure fun and exciting gameplay mechanics.

This sounds good.

I personally enjoy MMORPGs built around systems ensuring certain level of freedom and realism  as long as they are supported by adequate regulatory mechanisms designed to serve as a control preventing excessive level of negative behavior / abusing of these systems.

You just need to make sure the consequences are severe enough to represent an effective deterrent. If you achieve this, you end up with a superior product to games which rather give up on the freedom aspect and simply diasallow you to, for instance, hit another person in the game world. Such systems are like an equivalent of invisible walls to me. 

The conseqences if pushed far enough, "lowering your karma below -50" will permanently flag your character a muderous thieving villian and then everyone will see you flagged perma red and can all kill you without penalty. Another important note is the fact that the lower your karma rating the more skill points you lose upon each death. You can lose skill points to the level that you cannot even equip armor or weapons or maybe the poorest quality armor and weapons. A negative 50 flag is permanent for that toon. There is no reroll of toons in Life is Feudal. Each character purchases access to the main gameworld. Hence you live with your sins, or, you buy access for a new toon with real money. ;)
    Interesting system. Thanks for the explanation. 

Looking forward :).
    When you think about it, since there is no way to improve a karma rating below -50 nor reroll on the same account it's almost a form of perma death unless you can make sure somehow your character never dies and manages to avoid skill losses.

Sounds severe enough :).

I admit I am not completely sure how the karma gaining system works, so I will need to do some research on this area first, but I assume it could be similar to L2 system in which case the severity would a priori seem adequate.

At least on the paper, I do like the design of this PK regulatory mechanism. 

What is your view, Kyl. Does it sound too restrictive for you?
    In L2 you could always grind off negative Karma I think, having a perma red feature with no hope for redemption would be a different take on it, if the skill losses really limited the character.

I recall on L1 a pair of perma reds who killed hundreds of high level players and posted screen shots on their web site.  

Even suffering Karma penalties for being red they could easily kill any single player (who usually was well geared) while wearing nothing more than cheap, easy to obtain level 25 gear which one of their alt accounts would provide for them.

[Deleted User]

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Saxx0n said:

Saxx0n said:

Grym said:

Grym said:

Life is Frustrating (AF)

This sounds good.

Interesting system. Thanks for the explanation. 

Looking forward :).
    When you think about it, since there is no way to improve a karma rating below -50 nor reroll on the same account it's almost a form of perma death unless you can make sure somehow your character never dies and manages to avoid skill losses.

Sounds severe enough :).

I admit I am not completely sure how the karma gaining system works, so I will need to do some research on this area first, but I assume it could be similar to L2 system in which case the severity would a priori seem adequate.

At least on the paper, I do like the design of this PK regulatory mechanism. 

What is your view, Kyl. Does it sound too restrictive for you?
    In L2 you could always grind off negative Karma I think, having a perma red feature with no hope for redemption would be a different take on it, if the skill losses really limited the character.

I recall on L1 a pair of perma reds who killed hundreds of high level players and posted screen shots on their web site.  

Even suffering Karma penalties for being red they could easily kill any single player (who usually was well geared) while wearing nothing more than cheap, easy to obtain level 25 gear which one of their alt accounts would provide for them.

It is true about L2 and I understand the difference between the two games in this regard.

What I meant was how you actually gain karma in the game (like e.g. in L2 you kill a white named player, you get karma; if he hits you back and becomes purple named, you no longer get karma for killing him, etc.). I assume that LiF will be similar in this area.

The example from L1 you gave shows how equip loss may not be a sufficient deterrent as there is a way around it. In this regard, loss of skills could be more effective. 

I can imagine that in LiF, there may be guilds that will just decide to go all in and stay "red" (-50 karma) all the time :).

It will be interesting to see how this system works out.
    Guild i used to belong to called Shadowclan used to role play as an orc only horde which was perma red and basically zerged naked to overwhelm others and loot them.

Mot sure if negative karma in this game can be worked off or not, and if so, how is it done and is it easy to do or hard?

The answers will determine how effective the karma system really will be.

If 50 naked guys swinging clubs can wreck havoc even when perma red, then there will be guilds like this whose only purpose it so burn the world to the ground.

The idea of having to buy another account to play not as a red is no big deal, I've often paid for multiple accounts in the games I've played, wouldn't bother me to do the same here.

[Deleted User]

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited July 2017
    Honestly if a game's to a point where you need to come up with all sorts of karma penalties and futile attempts to prevent people from finding loopholes to get around it, you're probably better off not having open world PvP which is THAT open-worldish in the first place, anyways.  As much as people slam on Ultima Online for introducing Trammel (basically the moment the devs said "Oh screw it, all our attempts to have an effective karma system isn't working so let's not even bother with open world PvP at all", its player numbers soared and actually stayed that way for years after while at the same time freeing up the developers from a lot of baggage of constant karma system revamping, futile loophole closing, and bug fixing.

It's also probably one thing to have open pvp without consequences but it's a whole new level of development loophole and balancing nightmare to have open world PvP that can affect another player's high-value assets even while that player isn't online (destroying their house, in this example).
    Grym