Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everquest 2 developers create new game

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    completely cracks me up, people going out of their way to avoid even looking at early access titles despite people screaming about how good the games are and instead these people donate to a kickstarter and druel over screenshots for 3 friggin years

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    SEANMCAD said:
    completely cracks me up, people going out of their way to avoid even looking at early access titles despite people screaming about how good the games are and instead these people donate to a kickstarter and druel over screenshots for 3 friggin years
    C'mon, the "best" MMOs always exist when they are only a glimmer on the distant horizon. (or lost to the depths of time)

Here and now never satisfies anyone, realty is a harsh mistress. ;)
    Slapshot1188RidelynnMrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• holdenfiveholdenfive Member UncommonPosts: 170
    Instead of creating a new game, they should just relaunch the original EQ2. It's different enough in it's original presentation and mechanics back then to qualify as a completely different game. It pisses me off how much they've gutted that game in a shallow effort to go trendy and F2P. When the game first launched I wasn't mature enough as a gamer to understand what they were trying to do with it, but it was as close to being a 'virtual world' as a theme park can get. I'll never understand why the hell devs go back and mess with their original contet, or as in EQ2's case remove half of it from the game. MMO's are originally in development for years and in a AAA title like EQ2 would've had hundreds of people who worked on it. Then 8 years later when they have a staff of like 10 people they decide they can suddenly make better content in 4 months while working on it for a fraction of the time so it's fine to go ahead and shit all over the original product. Just pathetic. 
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    A bunch of generic graphics .. generic female wiz running around ...

And given i don't think they have much backing from a large publisher, i will pass. If they do release something, i will check out the metacritics scores then.

There are too much entertainment these days that i really don't need another MMO. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

And given i don't think they have much backing from a large publisher, i will pass. If they do release something, i will check out the metacritics scores then.

There are too much entertainment these days that i really don't need another MMO. 
    They claim to have arranged $30M in self funding to build the core game, so no publisher needed?  (forgetting perhaps a part of successful game delivery is a proper marketing budget)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736

Ah yes. Always better to let other people decide how you feel about things then to check them out yourself and form your own opinions.

Not that I have much higher hopes for this game but at least I won't someone else tell me how I feel about it.
    Eldurian said:

Ah yes. Always better to let other people decide how you feel about things then to check them out yourself and form your own opinions.

Of course. You don't think i have time to play the thousands and thousands of games on steam and decide how i like them one by one, do you?

Kyleran said:

They claim to have arranged $30M in self funding to build the core game, so no publisher needed?  (forgetting perhaps a part of successful game delivery is a proper marketing budget)

That seems to be an awfully small budget for a MMO. But sure, let's see how it turns out. I think it is not likely that it will break out amongst so many entertainment options, but i will take an open mind.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited July 2017
    The OP makes it sound like the EQ2 creators are making this game.
    These are people which at some point worked on various Day Break titles and then for some reason got fired.
    Sure, they aren't newbies but every MMO in production employ people that previously worked for other games.

The EQ2 creator is certainly not working for them as he is the current Trion Chairman, Scott Hartsman.
    I am pretty sure no ex EQ2 Producers or Senior game Designers are working on this project.

[Deleted User]

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited July 2017
    EQ2 when it came out and still today (I assume) is for the most part a game in which you grab your quest, grab your group, run out and fight the mobs for the quest dings. 
    Thrown in over the years has been raiding and of course its always had light crafting.

But I think I am not out of line to say 90% of what you see in an MMO today is the mechanics I described above as well as anything in EQ2 itself I missed in my description. I think its fair to say mainstream MMO follows this general model of game play.

That is not to say EQ2 invented it, I am trying to describe the model itself that so many here play.
    Now here is where I start to struggle to understand

Many MMORPG.Com posters complain that the existing model is boring, yet they want the existing model back. This is an endless cycle of disappointment.

and its evidence in wanting the same developers to create a new game that where mostly part of creating the existing model in the first place. Why would one assume they would have the magic sauce to bring a different experience to the table? I am not saying they cant I am just saying without any extra information some people are excited that the very people who created the game model they experiece now are stepping up to the table to do what? create something different? we dont know, we dont know if they are even qualified to do something outside of the box they created.

think on it. 

ste2000 said:

Akil Hooper is a pretty big name that they have brought in.
    Yes he has some decent experience, but he wasn't a Senior Game Designer or a Producer while working at SoE.
    He co-produced 4 Fallout New Vegas DLCs, but he was just a regular Game Designer for EQ2.
    Which is better than nothing, I guess.

SEANMCAD said:

But I think I am not out of line to say 90% of what you see in an MMO today is the mechanics I described above as well as anything in EQ2 itself I missed in my description. I think its fair to say mainstream MMO follows this general model of game play.

Not if you use the MMO definition on this website, or superdata

You have action games, shooters, MOBAs ...

And why just play MMOs? There are plenty of other online games. 
    SEANMCAD said:

Not if you use the MMO definition on this website, or superdata

You have action games, shooters, MOBAs ...

And why just play MMOs? There are plenty of other online games. 
    I dont understand what you are saying or how it relates to what I am trying to say.

Maybe an example:

If a new Avengers movie was coming out and you where tired of the Avengers model how excited would you be to learn that the new movie was created by the same team that created the Avengers?
    its not to say they could not make a differnt film but its likely the same will create the same

edited July 2017

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited July 2017
    ste2000 said:
    ste2000 said:

Akil Hooper is a pretty big name that they have brought in.
    Yes he has some decent experience, but he wasn't a Senior Game Designer or a Producer while working at SoE.
    He co-produced 4 Fallout New Vegas DLCs, but he was just a regular Game Designer for EQ2.
    Which is better than nothing, I guess.

He was a Lead Game Designer for EQ2.  Great guy and a great mind for MMORPG games.
    Mhhh.... ok, I read his curriculum and it doesn't mention him as a Lead Game Designer.
    The Lead Content Designer is not the same as Lead Game Designer or Senior Game Designer.
    Though I admit he has a good curriculum.

By the way I quit EQ2 because of Rise of Kunark, so if that was his creature, I am even less excited about AoC.

Production

Fallout: New Vegas - Dead Money (2011)   (Producers)
    Fallout: New Vegas - Honest Hearts (2011)   (Producers)
    Fallout: New Vegas - Lonesome Road (2011)   (Producers)
    Fallout: New Vegas - Old World Blues (2011)   (Producers)

Design

Fallout: New Vegas - Dead Money (2011)   (Additional Area Design)
    Fallout: New Vegas - Honest Hearts (2011)   (Additional Area Design)
    Fallout: New Vegas - Lonesome Road (2011)   (Additional Area Design)
    Fallout: New Vegas - Old World Blues (2011)   (Additional Area Design)
    Fallout: New Vegas (2010)   (Area Designers)
    EverQuest II: The Shadow Odyssey (2008)   (Additional Game Design)
    EverQuest II: Rise of Kunark (2007)   (Lead Content Designer)
    Legends of Norrath (2007)   (Rewards Design)
    EverQuest II: Echoes of Faydwer (2006)   (Design Supervisor, Echoes of Faydwer)
    EverQuest II: Kingdom of Sky (2006)   (Design Supervisors)
    EverQuest II: Desert of Flames (2005)   (Game Designers)
    EverQuest: Gates of Discord (2004)   (Game Designers)
    EverQuest: Omens of War (2004)   (Game Designers)
    EverQuest (2003)   (Game Designers)
    EverQuest: Lost Dungeons of Norrath (2003)   (Game Designers )
    EverQuest: The Legacy of Ykesha (2003)   (Game Designers)
    EverQuest: The Planes of Power (2002)   (Game Designers)

Customer/Technical Support

EverQuest: The Shadows of Luclin (2001)   (Game Masters)

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited July 2017

You found better links than mine.
    It does look like he was a Senior Game Designer after all.

• XatericXateric Member UncommonPosts: 51
    edited August 2017
    Torval said:
    The important thing is that those expansions in EQ2 are generally very well loved and for good reasons. They're simple to approach and detailed and deep in content. The dungeons were fun for mechanics, but more to me because they felt like epic group adventures.

I'm hoping he brings this sort of perspective and engaging content to Ashes.

I agree, If [mod edit] can bring back some of that magic that is missing from so many newer mmorpg's it would be a good day.
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Its just too hard to get excited about something so many years away....
    I have been out of the loop at bit can someone give me a quick and dirty bullet list of how todays MMORPGs are different from EQ2?

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    SEANMCAD said:

and of course its always had light crafting.

What? Are you serious?

It is funny when you talk as though you know everything MMO / game related, but show just how little you do know.

Original crafting in EQ2 was far from light.

One of the most humorous thing's you could ever see in EQ2 was someone failing and being killed while crafting.

You could not make everything yourself either, you had to rely on other player's making some components you needed to craft item's.

One of the worst things they did to EQ2 was dumb down the crafting and make it almost the same as WoW crafting.

TheScavenger

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

edited July 2017
    Excession said:
    SEANMCAD said:

What? Are you serious?

It is funny when you talk as though you know everything MMO / game related, but show just how little you do know.

One of the most humorous thing's you could ever see in EQ2 was someone failing and being killed while crafting.

You could not make everything yourself either, you had to rely on other player's making some components you needed to craft item's.

One of the worst things they did to EQ2 was dumb down the crafting and make it almost the same as WoW crafting.

I played EQ2 as a crafter for 9 months (actually I think it was longer now that I think on it might have been years)
    EQ2 is light crafting compared to ALL other games I have played that have crafting both in MMO and in non-mmo.
    I never played WoW.

Crafting is deeper in Eve, Darkfall, Wurm Online and Xyson and virtually ALL my single player games that have crafting.

in fact the REASON I left EQ2 for Darkfall is because of crafting
    ExcessionHedeonjimmywolfcraftseeker

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    edited July 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    Excession said:
    SEANMCAD said:

What? Are you serious?

I played EQ2 as a crafter for 9 months.
    EQ2 is light crafting compared to ALL other games I have played that have crafting both in MMO and in non-mmo.
    I never played WoW.

Crafting is deeper in Eve, Darkfall, Wurm Online and Xyson and virtually ALL my single player games that have crafting.

So you think clicking items to add them as ingredients, then clicking a button and waiting for a progress bar is deeper than adding ingredients, starting the crafting process, counteracting events that take place, and taking damage if you fail (and possibly dying in the process), increasing quality and the crafting process if you succeed, until the item is crafted?

Ok.
    MaurgrimTheelyTheScavengerHatefullkjempff

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

edited July 2017
    Excession said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Excession said:
    SEANMCAD said:

What? Are you serious?

I played EQ2 as a crafter for 9 months.
    I never played WoW.

So you think clicking items to add them as ingredients, then clicking a button and waiting for a progress bar is deeper than adding ingredients, starting the crafting process, counteracting events that take place, and taking damage if you fail (and possibly dying in the process), increasing quality and the crafting process if you succeed, until the item is crafted?

Ok.
    'how' i create something is not of intrest to me frankly. clicking buttons at the right time in a mini game that zero context whatsoever remotely to do with actually making such an item in real life is not intresting to me

'what' i can create and what ingredients are involved and various combinations of them are of interest.

taking wurm for example, there are about 10 different tools, each tool for a different job, there is quality, there is durablity, there is improving, you can build carts, you can build boats and large items of course require multiple tools, multiple materials, that are crafted from other skills

ExcessionHatefull