Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWL - favorite builds so far?

IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
I started out as a Magus using elemental and chaos magic mostly because I favor playing mages in RPGs, but I really wasn't that fond of Chaos which could be a bit of problem drawing aggro for a DPS character, not to mention the random effects it procs... I'm too much of a control freak with my characters to enjoy randomized bonuses. But I did like elemental magic a lot so...

I tried an Assassin next which is a mixture of blades and elemental magic and I absolutely love it. Like the Magus it also has a mix of ranged and close DPS except the blades are not aggro generators and they constantly proc passive self heals on top of having an active heal you can get very early.

The "builders" for both blades and elemental magic do good single target DPS which can then be spent on AOE abilities.

I'm only level 14 so I could change to other weapon combos later on but for low levels, blades + elementalism work great.

How about you guys? What weapon combo are you liking so far?
"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
― CD PROJEKT RED

Comments

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I also chose Magus but i really like it so far. Made it to lvl 13 also. I do want to pickup blade though. 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Tried a few but ended up with Magus.  It was the build that I did best with on TSW.  Good range and good melee.  
    Agent_Joseph

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Gymrat313Gymrat313 Member UncommonPosts: 154
    I did Ravager, really digging fists and will continue too if I ever get back in game :P
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    How you liking the new format of the game?

You stay sassy!

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Tamanous said:
    How you liking the new format of the game?
    I haven't played it in over 4 years so I don't remember the old format much. I see what they're trying to do with the more simplified weapon system and the added unique mechanics for each. IMO, some work better and seem more finely tuned than others.

The zones still have other random people in them and if you didn't know that the population cap for each is much smaller than it used to be you wouldn't really notice it... except in a good way right now since zones in MMOs tend to be over-crowded at release.

Story and quests are still the same great, M-rated stories from before. The graphics do seem a bit more dated than what I remember... especially the hair. It's why my characters all have shaved heads :)
    KyleranMadFrenchie
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

DMKano said:

It's been years since I played the original and I liked the original better - not a fan of class system, I prefered the open skill system a lot more.

It's still open although now it's hidden beneath that initial layer of class. You can still unlock and use any weapon combo you like although passives are now weapon-specific - that's the biggest change.

If you played it before and link your old account, all weapons are unlocked automatically as soon as you get to Agartha and "claim" your linked unlocks and items. You can totally redo your two weapon combo at that point.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    DMKano said:
    Iselin said:
    DMKano said:

It's been years since I played the original and I liked the original better - not a fan of class system, I prefered the open skill system a lot more.

It's still open although now it's hidden beneath that initial layer of class. You can still unlock and use any weapon combo you like although passives are now weapon-specific - that's the biggest change.

If you played it before and link your old account, all weapons are unlocked automatically as soon as you get to Agartha and "claim" your linked unlocks and items. You can totally redo your two weapon combo at that point.

I didn't know that at the time - would have helped. 

Why didn't they make this more obvious? 
    I agree about not being clear on this.  I was lucky to have a nice player in game help me out and instruct me on this.
    Iselin said:
    I started out as a Magus using elemental and chaos magic mostly because I favor playing mages in RPGs, but I really wasn't that fond of Chaos which could be a bit of problem drawing aggro for a DPS character, not to mention the random effects it procs... I'm too much of a control freak with my characters to enjoy randomized bonuses. But I did like elemental magic a lot so...

I tried an Assassin next which is a mixture of blades and elemental magic and I absolutely love it. Like the Magus it also has a mix of ranged and close DPS except the blades are not aggro generators and they constantly proc passive self heals on top of having an active heal you can get very early.

The "builders" for both blades and elemental magic do good single target DPS which can then be spent on AOE abilities.

I'm only level 14 so I could change to other weapon combos later on but for low levels, blades + elementalism work great.

How about you guys? What weapon combo are you liking so far?
    I feel like chaos is made for tanking.  I didn't really understand why they put it in with magus.  I think elemental and blood would of made more sense.  

I'm using hammer and chaos and it works really well imo.
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625
    Using the AR and Fish weapons. The grenade mechanic on the AR feels janky as hell right now though. Hope they make it better.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I'm planning to go Shotgun/Elemental. Is that still a thing?
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    I'm planning to go Shotgun/Elemental. Is that still a thing?
    That's not one of the standard class combos so you'd have to make it yourself by starting with a class that uses either shotgun or elemental and then swapping the weapon you don't want for the one you do.

You also have to be a bit careful when you train active skills because some of them only work if you're using that as your primary weapon. Most skills work either way but there are exceptions.  
    KyleranMrMelGibson

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Redfeather75Redfeather75 Member UncommonPosts: 230
    I got a cool assault rifle that auto-cooks grenades so I really focused on AR builds. Right now I use elementalism and assault rifle. Using an offensive build that focuses on interrupts, mobility and damage.
    MrMelGibson
    While I like chaos/Hammer for tanking.  After playing for a while, my favorite is blade/elemental (Assassin).  My favorite class has always been a Spellblade and/or Battlemage.  Doesn't hurt that I find it the most fun so far.
  • wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370
    edited July 2017
    I went Ravager, but hated fist for some reason.  I ended up using total Blood Magic with no secondary, and have done OK.  I too wish I'd known about unlocking the other weapons before I got too deep.  The hit rating earlier on would have helped a ton.  I guess with the new system there's not so much a "wrong" way to do things, but more of a less optimal way, so I was thinking of going all magic and adding elemental as a secondary to blood magic.  I haven't noticed a damage issue as much as I have a resource limitation due to not using a secondary, so I figure burninating things with elemental will help out there.  What do I know though?  I'm honestly a little lost as to the best combos.  The story is great though!  Didn't make it quite this far the first time I played years ago.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Right now just using hammer & Sword for now not sure if its the best or not, but I do wish they would update the GUI so that players could have multiple skill sets without having to change via text commands.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    for the record, since some of you sound like they wouldn't know the classes are STARTER classes.

you can get and learn ALL weapons, still. the only thing you can't do is having 2 builders, the rest is STILL the same system.

@topic: i like my fist / blood combo :)  neat builder (builder needs to be interesting enough imo, that's why i prefer using either fists or chaos), and blood let's me rip out the enemy's heart and adds a nice AE dot too. rest of my skills are fist bases, dämätsch!

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Going with blood/ar or ar/blood for healing and solo.

Just look at my AR looks, im lvl 22 atm, but that skin looks awesome imo:

KyleranMrMelGibson

• Redfeather75Redfeather75 Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Switched since last I posted. I am using shotgun/ele now and it's really fun. Holy mother of interrupts batman. I really do enjoy the disruption aspect of combat. Only thing I don't have are purges, so now I am thinking of learning a new weapon again to expand my arsenal once more. XD
    MrMelGibson
    I'm now using just an elemental build that's working really well.  I have a sword as secondary but don't use it.  My actives and passives are all ele.  Got the build off a streamer on YT.  Much much better than what I was using before.
    MrMelGibson

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    Pistols Primary, Shotgun Secondary are mine right now.
    Leveling machinegun (but have all weapons unlocked).
    Torval said:
    I'm now using just an elemental build that's working really well.  I have a sword as secondary but don't use it.  My actives and passives are all ele.  Got the build off a streamer on YT.  Much much better than what I was using before.
    What's the build and how does it work? I'm still elemental primary with chaos secondary. I'm unlocking shotgun next and plan on trying that out for a secondary. Chaos packs an okay punch though. Shotgun will give me a little more range and mobility.

@Torval

What do you use flr heals or is your level high enough that you don't need much healing? I found that at least in the lower levels, the cauterize heal is not enough against tougher enemies.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,378
    I tried this game out as a "waste time, play by myself" type game and made a blade/elemental  character but then the wife and son saw me playing and decided they wanted to play so I made myself a second character using pistols and shotgun and I by FAR enjoy the pistol/shotgun guy much much more than the blade/elemental guy.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Iselin said:
    What do you use flr heals or is your level high enough that you don't need much healing? I found that at least in the lower levels, the cauterize heal is not enough against tougher enemies.
    I'm lv28, had no needs for heals so far.  For some reason my ele energy goes down a lot slower than when I was using both weapons.  Mobs drop pretty fast.

Iselin said:
    I'm lv28, had no needs for heals so far.  For some reason my ele energy goes down a lot slower than when I was using both weapons.  Mobs drop pretty fast.
    I might give that shot since there's really not all that much synergy between weapons other than the generic passives you can get from the other weapon and I can see how slotting passives for just ele could help since it does pack a punch.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED