Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alioth's Moon to Alioth Uncut Flight Pre-Alpha Video - Dual Universe Videos - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited July 2017 in Videos Discussion

imageAlioth's Moon to Alioth Uncut Flight Pre-Alpha Video - Dual Universe Videos - MMORPG.com

The Dual Universe team has posted the latest monthly update video that features pre-alpha footage of an uncut space flight. In addition, the DU KickStarter page has a more detailed written update.

Read the full story here

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    quite shocked at how seemingly little interest there is in this game from MMORPG fans. As far as MMOs go to me it seems like one of the only interesting ones but I am currently playing nearly identical games now but not as an MMO
    xxBoneZxxmcrippins[Deleted User]

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• xxBoneZxxxxBoneZxx Member UncommonPosts: 124

SEANMCAD said:

quite shocked at how seemingly little interest there is in this game from MMORPG fans. As far as MMOs go to me it seems like one of the only interesting ones but I am currently playing nearly identical games now but not as an MMO

I think people have become a bit skeptical. Once it gets closer to releasing an early access or beta and people see the potential of the game, I think it will become popular. I backed it on Kickstarter. Can't wait to dive in when it becomes available.
    xxBoneZxx said:

SEANMCAD said:

I think people have become a bit skeptical. Once it gets closer to releasing an early access or beta and people see the potential of the game, I think it will become popular. I backed it on Kickstarter. Can't wait to dive in when it becomes available.
    that doesnt hold water because there are other 'up coming games' that people are drueling over. 

I have a theory though, people are falling into the marketing exactly as they are supposed to.

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    Seem's a bit odd to me that the pilot get's out and the ship lands itself, other than that, nice video.

On a side note, the word you are looking for SEANMCAD is "drooling".
    xxBoneZxx

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    edited July 2017
    Cool engine demo.
    If they have some awesome gameplay to go with that they should be good. But that is the real trick isn't it...
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    its not star citizen so people will not hype till its done, and serious till its done I don't bother to even look on videos
    Phry
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Pretty much one upgraded Empyrion Survival, more tech and bigger scale behind the game what shall be fun.

Just the focus on that sandboxy building that I find meh, especially for online games, I'd prefer much better modular pieces, but I guess they want to appeal to the creativity factor over immersion.
    Excession
    edited July 2017
    MaxBacon said:
    Pretty much one upgraded Empyrion Survival, more tech and bigger scale behind the game what shall be fun.

Just the focus on that sandboxy building that I find meh, especially for online games, I'd prefer much better modular pieces, but I guess they want to appeal to the creativity factor over immersion.
    people who dont play these 'building games' often dont understand them. its not what you think. its not creative, I am not a creative person, I dont sit there and design a ship all day (you can yes its true and some people do..you can but its not the core game play). you build it so that it can fly you can then go raid, is really more the motovation. its not to 'be creative'.
    so its more about finding out what works rather then color choices on walls and pretending to have a kitchen

edited July 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    people who dont play these 'building games' often dont understand them. its not what you think. its not creative, I am not a creative person, I dont sit there and design a ship all day (you can yes its true and some people do..you can but its not the core game play). you build it so that it can fly you can then go raid, is really more the motovation. its not to 'be creative'.
    so its more about finding out what works rather then color choices on walls and pretending to have a kitchen
    From the ones I play, the thing on the sandbox building is that most people build awfully, you explore around and you see a square box with a door here, few bunch of spread blocks there, it's like a weird alternative art presentation, it never embeds well with the game world.

This ofc depends on the person, the shipbuilding can be interesting but do prefer more crafted and detailed assets that you can customize, say build a ship from prefab parts you can recolor and such.
    MaxBacon said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    From the ones I play, the thing on the sandbox building is that most people build awfully, you explore around and you see a square box with a door here, few bunch of spread blocks there, it's like a weird alternative art presentation, it never embeds well with the game world.

This ofc depends on the person, the shipbuilding can be interesting but do prefer more crafted and detailed assets that you can customize, say build a ship from prefab parts you can recolor and such.
    for someone who is pew pew about creative you seem to want aesthetics.

its really not hard to break down, lets take a non-building game for example:
    you need to do X, to get Y (Y is the reward) sometimes you need to do X and Y to get Z (Z being the reward). What is the X and the Y. its almost always exactly the same...kill something.

now building

you need to do A, B then C, then D or maybe B first then C then A to get to E (e being the reward). ABC and D may or may not be combat, in some cases it is and in other cases its to get fuel to generate the generator which then turns our lights on so that the lights can grow food so that you have food to have boosts during combat or maybe the lights are to keep some night enamies away.

Building in these building games is NOT for aesthetic creative. 

In the game i linked you need to build a ship so you can get into space so that you can get ores that do not exist on the planet you are on and without them you are never leaving that planet.

SEANMCAD said:
    More about the immersive play not only the looks, even though they are a big part of it. I like games where all that is part of the game is made feel and embed well with the game world, even interfaces (see GW2), those who just tackle in the functionality with little care for this always make me rather uninterested.

Though I think it's a normal trade-off for the highly sandbox approach they are taking.
    MaxBacon said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    More about the immersive play not only the looks, even though they are a big part of it. I like games where all that is part of the game is made feel and embed well with the game world, even interfaces (see GW2), those who just tackle in the functionality with little care for this always make me rather uninterested.

Though I think it's a normal trade-off for the highly sandbox approach they are taking.
    thats fine but I am not addressing that observation. I am just informing you that building games are NOT creative focused as those who do not play them seem to think.

SEANMCAD said:
    thats fine but I am not addressing that observation. I am just informing you that building games are NOT creative focused as those who do not play them seem to think.
    I do think the full building approach is to tackle in the creative factor as well, we can achieve the same functionality extent by having a more modular approach, say like Osiris New Dawn.
    edited July 2017
    MaxBacon said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    I do think the full building approach is to tackle in the creative factor as well, we can achieve the same functionality extent by having a more modular approach, say like Osiris New Dawn.
    I dont agree with the first part of your sentence but I do agree with the second (to be clear I think there is creativity involved, its just not to the extent that people think who do not play such games. so Rising World would be an example of what those people THINK all building games are like because in that game creating is about all you can do)

What I like about Emperium Galaxic Survial is that if you dont want to do the creative stuff the in the game platform allows you to send a blueprint to the factory so all you have to do is collect the mats.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

SEANMCAD said:

MaxBacon said:

SEANMCAD said:

But I think people want to be creative. You made a comment a bit stating you don't understand why more people aren't interested in building/crafting.

And as I've said before "people want to be creative" they aren't interested in just collecting bits so they can collect more bits later down the line.

I agree with max, It would be better if the developers made it so building as well as aesthetics had a part in the game.

AFter all, the "great civilizations" always had a nod toward the creative. Oh heck, what am I saying many civilizations added aesthetics to even the simplest items.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Been watching this, seems good but don't get too excited about games that likely wont launch until 2021 or beyond.
    Phry

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• virgommovirgommo Member UncommonPosts: 43
    edited July 2017

SEANMCAD said:
    What I like about Emperium Galaxic Survial is that if you dont want to do the creative stuff the in the game platform allows you to send a blueprint to the factory so all you have to do is collect the mats.

The creative folks are the one who MADE those designs you grab online and ploping into a blueprint factory. You yourself might not be in a creative mindset to make them, but someone was. To say, a builder game isn't creative is shortsighted in the extreme. They are as creative as the player makes them. Sure a survival with a side order of building isn't a 10/10 with creative assets but it can still be creative. Rust, ARC, both can if you so choose be very creative with building designs. Space Engineers, Kerbal, you can't get more creative in a builder than those. I could go on, but hopefully you get my point. Besides, don't disparage the landscape of Boxes....I hear the Borg did quite well with that design :D
  • evolgrinzevolgrinz Member UncommonPosts: 151
    I think the downfall for the game will be the fact that it will be subscription based only.
    Even EVE-online now has an option to play for free as an Alpha clone pilot. You are heavily gimped in skills you can learn, ships you can fly and equipment you can use as alpha clone, but the stuff you can do is more than enough to give the game a go. And the player base has risen for EVE-Online since they done that.
    I know I won't be playing the game, for the main reason I don't want to pay for a subscription and kind of feel forced to have to play the game. I often just ignore a game for 1 or 2 months and then come back after that and play it intensively. With subscription you feel obliged to play, or your money will be "wasted".
    So I hope they will reconsider the payment model in some way.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Kyleran said:
    Been watching this, seems good but don't get too excited about games that likely wont launch until 2021 or beyond.
    Its hard to generate any interest in something when its all 'pre-alpha' not even alpha, let alone beta. And with the game being several years away, why worry about the game at all, the whole thing could fold in the next year or so, it wouldn't even be the first to do so.
    When there is an actual game to look at is when people are likely to become more interested in the thing, until then, seriously, why bother? :o
    Kyleran
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    edited July 2017

Phry said:

Kyleran said:

Its hard to generate any interest in something when its all 'pre-alpha' not even alpha, let alone beta. And with the game being several years away, why worry about the game at all, the whole thing could fold in the next year or so, it wouldn't even be the first to do so.
    When there is an actual game to look at is when people are likely to become more interested in the thing, until then, seriously, why bother? :o

I am partial to agrre here, but Minecraft stands as a very fine example of a game that could not hide its quiet brilliance even in pre-alpha. People played the hell out of it simply because what they did first was the core idea, the core gameplay, the selling point of the game. Same for the original Counter Strike. Even in early alpha the game was amazingly fun to play.

If gameplay is not the core of your first alpha and already then a fantastic yet highly unpolished experience, just stop right there, you are not likely to find that amazing core experince later in the process.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited July 2017
    hfztt said:

Phry said:

Kyleran said:

I am partial to agrre here, but Minecraft stands as a very fine example of a game that could not hide its quiet brilliance even in pre-alpha. People played the hell out of it simply because what they did first was the core idea, the core gameplay, the selling point of the game. Same for the original Counter Strike. Even in early alpha the game was amazingly fun to play.

If gameplay is not the core of your first alpha and already then a fantastic yet highly unpolished experience, just stop right there, you are not likely to find that amazing core experince later in the process.
    If you are making "a game" I would agree with you.  MMORPGs however are a sum of their parts and how well the various elements all work together is what makes or breaks them.

In most MMORPGs the gameplay frequently suffers in some areas which is OK if the overall experience is good.

Which is why I won't play alphas or early access, I want it fully delivered to play the final result rather than dink around with bits and pieces as it goes along.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    I'd like to know how open this is. Is this on rails? I know they showed a video before of them going into space to a mother ship or something. In this video, though, there are these orange rings that the ship doesn't deviate from until they've seemingly entered Earth's atmosphere. It's no less technically marvelous, but just wondering if that's the way they are handling planet-to-planet flight, possibly to reduce the overhead? Or is this something that will become more open as the game progresses? 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

edited July 2017
    CrazKanuk said:
    I'd like to know how open this is. Is this on rails? I know they showed a video before of them going into space to a mother ship or something. In this video, though, there are these orange rings that the ship doesn't deviate from until they've seemingly entered Earth's atmosphere. It's no less technically marvelous, but just wondering if that's the way they are handling planet-to-planet flight, possibly to reduce the overhead? Or is this something that will become more open as the game progresses? 
    edit: consider my reply deleted its like I didnt even read what you said. my bad

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    CrazKanuk said:
    As I understand it, the "orange rings" are just a navigational aid, showing the optimal course to your destination. The flight path is not dictated, it is merely a suggested "best course".

DU is a massively ambitious game, and if it had the normal indie skeleton crew of developers behind it, I'd just have smiled and walked away. But there seems to be a substantial studio building this game, so it's top of my most anticipated list...
    CrazKanuk
    CrazKanuk said:
    As I understand it, the "orange rings" are just a navigational aid, showing the optimal course to your destination. The flight path is not dictated, it is merely a suggested "best course".

DU is a massively ambitious game, and if it had the normal indie skeleton crew of developers behind it, I'd just have smiled and walked away. But there seems to be a substantial studio building this game, so it's top of my most anticipated list...
    I do find those rings to be tacky though.

but if it helps attract more casual players without hurting game play then no biggy