Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a new MMO, STO vs SWTOR

BrumeBrume Member UncommonPosts: 62
Im currently lookinig for a new MMO to play, and like many others im not sure in which game i should spent my time on. So far the comment on STO are pretty bad, do you still recommend it ? Im not sure if i should start STO or going back to SWTOR.. or maybe a new pick like Albion, TSW or anything else? What do you recommend ?

Comments

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    played STO,SWTOR ... sometimes playing TSW,love it

STO ; as an  ST fan,for me  better than JJ Abrams movies ,but bored reputation grinds.There is strong and great in game comunity ! I ll back this week for summer event!

SWTOR ; great story driven game , but it is only story what keep me in,it is more SP + MP than mmo( but to be honest almost every mmo in last decade is like that)

TSW: unique setting,story driven game ,one by best dungeons(night mare mode ) in mmo genre , in end of month there ll be F2P version ;  Secret World Legends ,all content free and some minor changes in gameplay.Looking as light/dumb  action mp game compared with original !
  • KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Between the 2 i'd say sto.  But u'll have to try them both for yourself to really decide.

Sto had one of the best f2p models around until cryptic started losing money.  You can still play all the story and other content(grind) for free but last time i played the game had become balanced around the dps elite.  With the game being built not only around those with large bank accounts(to get the best out of the ship it requires purchasing 4-6 really and that isn't counting the ones in the gambling boxes) but also a large amount of time to grind.  It was still good until the old level cap(50) but i had problems past that until i upgraded to a new max level ship and upgraded gear etc.  But i only really play during the winter event to ani event so not sure how much the balanicing issues have been addressed(i'm guessing not that much tbh).  Still worth a download though.  Summer event is up soon so u can grind a free t6(max) ship and Martok is back:).

Swtor I only played for a few days as it has possibly the worst f2p model around.  If you aren't willing to sub possibly give this one a miss.  The f2p model is not only p2w but also pay for fun and genuinely more about trying to force u to sub.  Personally am really not a fan of modern bioware but didn't mind one and would happily say it's the best of the bunch that i've played.  Story was decent(not just a cliche checklist written by teenage comic book fans), gameplay was ok(it had some) and it even looked better than i thought it would.  But it's really just a single player game with a sub and a such the single player part suffered because of the multiplayer/wow cclone aspect(mob grinds everywhere, -insert generic mmo problem here-) and the mmo side suffered because of the single player aspect(not enough mob to grind for 2 ppl, heavily instanced etc).  For me just not worth a sub(not even once for the benefits) and its a sub or don't bother game imo. P.S. space combat here is a bad joke, don't even bother if that's a requirement.

Tsw I liked, or more precisely the atmosphere i liked, the rest of the game kind of stunk.  Imo it has too many problems to even list here animations, ui, quest system, the worst combat system u're likely to come accross, etc., etc..  But as i said i liked the atmos and so looked up how much it would cost which was box+content+store=£100+ = uninstall.  Will be interesting to see how much the new free game costs.  If it still has a free trial could also be worth a dl.

If sto is my winter game uncharted waters is my summer game.  Good for sailing around the world and not getting wet:)(also playing for free).  Depends if on wether or not u mind ships/boats for trying out.

Other than that eve is still the only other mmo i can think of worth trying.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    I just re-read op and noticed it was 'going back to swtor'.  So please ignore that part as requred.
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    I've got them both loaded up, along with others.  If I feel like doing SW stuff I play SWToR, (which I'm playing to do after Halloween as there's some free content open up for a bit), if it's a ST urge I do STO.

Now the STO of today isn't as much fun as when it started.  Alot of the missions had the scale ramped up so what you could solo with your ship is now very, very difficult if not impossible.

If you're a Star Trek Classic fan than if nothing else just playing the 6 missions of the 23c time is well worth it.  There set up like the Classic TV show.  After that it's off to the normal ST universe they picked which is OK from a casual point of view.

Both games can be played totally free and in fact I wouldn't recommend putting any money into STO.  Just play them with the limitations you get and have fun.  

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    I've played both. SWTOR is at least unique. STO is Star Trek in name only. They use the vague setting and have corrupted it to mean the new star trek with chris pine not the old one. It's a copy of pretty much every other game out there with different graphics and space. You never even have to talk to anyone if you don't want to.