Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hey, ARK is on sale for about $15 during the summer event on Steam..

CorileannaCorileanna Member UncommonPosts: 94
Is it worth it to buy now? Do i get a free copy of the 'final' version, since it's currently still Early Access? Is it really buggy on PC. or does that depend on hardware and settings and such? I heard the Xbox version is more stable and such.. Just wondering, people seem to have strong opinions about this game, but i could actually like it, if i played on a less hardcore server to start with.. I enjoy survival gameplay in games, just don't like un-fair disadvantages to begin with, like perma-death with no chance at staying alive, to build on official servers.. :P

Comments

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    It is if you have a 1080 I tried on my 750ti max graphics with a Intel CPU wouldn't work lol.
    Excession
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    forget it, its not even a finished bugfree product, yet they want full price for that trash.
    PhryTheScavenger
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    exile01 said:
    forget it, its not even a finished bugfree product, yet they want full price for that trash.
    Err...$15.00 is hardly full price...but I do share your distain of buggy unfinished EA releases, not worth playing regardless how cheap.

PhrySlapshot1188

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    Is it worth it to buy now? Do i get a free copy of the 'final' version, since it's currently still Early Access? Is it really buggy on PC. or does that depend on hardware and settings and such? I heard the Xbox version is more stable and such.. Just wondering, people seem to have strong opinions about this game, but i could actually like it, if i played on a less hardcore server to start with.. I enjoy survival gameplay in games, just don't like un-fair disadvantages to begin with, like perma-death with no chance at staying alive, to build on official servers.. :P
    If you enjoy survival/crafting games then yes, you'll probably enjoy it. 

The optimization could certainly still use work but is much better than it was even a few months ago. There are tons of different dinos to tame/breed and they all have uses outside of just being cool mounts. I would suggest getting it and trying out a PVE server to start. The game can be tough enough for a new player without having to worry about some large tribe of players coming through and destroying your stuff and killing all your dinos every day. 

This and Rust are 2 of my favorite games of the last 5 years.
    Kyleran

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited July 2017
    Rainbow 6 Siege is also like $53 for the whole pack with DLC.

And a lot of friends do play this game but I don't have a 1080 yet and no need to upgrade to one yet.
    Excession
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    exile01 said:
    Name the last  "finished" game that launched bug free. You can't because all games have bugs, even AAA games years after release. 

Does ARK have bugs? Sure it does, I fell through the ground once, and have had the occasional dino be un-harvestable after killing it. But never anything that made me not want to play again or spoiled my thoughts on the game. 

I think the Devs have acted pretty shady,having to pay out 40mil in a settlement kinda proves that. And selling an expac for a game not even fully released... not cool. But the game they created is solid and fun. Their sales figures and daily player count speaks to that. 

http://steamcharts.com/app/346110

CorileannaNepheth

• CorileannaCorileanna Member UncommonPosts: 94
    Thanks, but my new laptop, won't run it from what Renaoku said.. I could try my Fiancees gaming laptop.. I just need a Desktop at some point. So much easier if i can simply update the parts instead of buying a new laptop cause i'm too un-knowledgeable to replace the graphics card myself on one.. If people even bother doing that.. Most like Desktop builds.. *Sigh*
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    If you haven't tried it yet, go with 7D2D. Then again, it depends on what sort of thing you like... 7D2D has much better building. ARK's terrain can't be changed (the downside of going for an engine that makes it pretty), so building is limited. The "toilet humor" in the game also got old pretty fast for me, with your character taking a dump every 10 min or so and some loud pooping sound going off. xD
    Kyleran

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    I love the concept and the humor/spirit of the game, but I've heard so many bad things it keeps me away from trying it.

It's certainly proved to be a great pallet for Role-Players though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY2W9viQUI4
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    edited July 2017
    It's $15 too much.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    What I'd like to see is a head to head comparison of the top survival games.

holdenhamletSlapshot1188

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    I love the concept and the humor/spirit of the game, but I've heard so many bad things it keeps me away from trying it.

It's certainly proved to be a great pallet for Role-Players though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY2W9viQUI4
    Wow, that's what passes for role-playing these days?

I guess the definition of "role-playing" has degraded almost as much as the definition of MMO.
    Kyleran

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    It is worth it for $15. . you will get your money's worth.  I have stopped playing and hate that htey sold DLC for an unfinished game.  

I played on an i5 2500 with a AMD 7800 series on medium.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Aethaeryn said:
    It is worth it for $15. . you will get your money's worth.  I have stopped playing and hate that htey sold DLC for an unfinished game.  

I played on an i5 2500 with a AMD 7800 series on medium.
    I tried when it first came out and it ran like crap on my PC.  I only had 8GB RAM at the time so it wasn't a shock.  Then after I upgraded I was interested in trying it again but they announced the paid DLC.    That just was too much for me...

Paid DLC for a game that's not even "launched"...  it's a joke.

Kyleran

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• CorileannaCorileanna Member UncommonPosts: 94
    I ended up buying it 10 minutes ago..