Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft’s ‘Play Anywhere’ program fails to attract

2»

Comments

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    SEANMCAD said:
    Wizardry said:
    Actually sounds like a solid idea on paper,however knowing Microsoft,they couldn't care less about us,it is an idea to corner the market..monopolize the market.Just like their marketplace agenda that Tim Sweeney already scoffed at Microsoft's agenda.
    Microsoft has already been sued on monopolizing grounds and i am sure will be sued again in the future.

Point being,don't trust anything Microsoft does is for us.
    I think 'on paper' its a horrid idea for reasons I have explained in my OP

The "people" they are trying to attract are game studios.

Currently there are titles that get developed only on consoles.  This means that people who want to play a "console only" title have to buy a console.

Whilst Microsoft has the Xbox it would like people to at least think about buying a PC with the potential "marketplace" stuff that might follow. 

And for those who already have a PC who are thinking of buying a console MS hope that the ability to play their existing PC games on an XBox might make them get an XBox rather than a PS.  

So potentially for PC folk who have no interest in consoles this could deliver console titles to PC (PS exclusives aside). So no downside imo.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited June 2017
    gervaise1 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Wizardry said:
    Actually sounds like a solid idea on paper,however knowing Microsoft,they couldn't care less about us,it is an idea to corner the market..monopolize the market.Just like their marketplace agenda that Tim Sweeney already scoffed at Microsoft's agenda.
    Microsoft has already been sued on monopolizing grounds and i am sure will be sued again in the future.

Currently there are titles that get developed only on consoles.  This means that people who want to play a "console only" title have to buy a console.

Whilst Microsoft has the Xbox it would like people to at least think about buying a PC with the potential "marketplace" stuff that might follow. 

And for those who already have a PC who are thinking of buying a console MS hope that the ability to play their existing PC games on an XBox might make them get an XBox rather than a PS.  

So potentially for PC folk who have no interest in consoles this could deliver console titles to PC (PS exclusives aside). So no downside imo.
    I think your getting off track on what I mean, but to be fair I was clear.

Lets say your standing in the game store looking at games, you see a game that is intresting but you not sure, then you read its multiplat one purchase. Is that factor alone going to be good enough to make you a new customer? if it was not multiplat one purchase would you then decide not to buy it. I dont think it would but I have seen people do some crazy ass stupid shit before so maybe.

so my question is really how does it specifically bringing in NEW customers and NEW revenue.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    SEANMCAD said:
    Seeing how I'm literally playing a game that was on PC and just ported to console, and on their forums with several hundred players that are doing exactly this (playing the console version of the game now that it's been ported)  I very much so see this as people wanting this.   Unfortunately THAT game doesn't save progress between the two versions.

Microsofts does, and in that sense, I can see a lot of people wanted to utilize play anywhere.  I know I will.
    make sure I understand, you are saying you know a large number of poeple who where currently playing a PC game and then when the console version came out they decided to go play that same game on the console.

That just blows my friggin mind
    Not just play it.. spend hundreds on it, despite already spending hundreds on the PC version.  I didn't understand it either. There are a lot more than I anticipated.. and the game isn't even out of beta until Saturday. 

SEANMCAD said:
    Seeing how I'm literally playing a game that was on PC and just ported to console, and on their forums with several hundred players that are doing exactly this (playing the console version of the game now that it's been ported)  I very much so see this as people wanting this.   Unfortunately THAT game doesn't save progress between the two versions.

Microsofts does, and in that sense, I can see a lot of people wanted to utilize play anywhere.  I know I will.
    make sure I understand, you are saying you know a large number of poeple who where currently playing a PC game and then when the console version came out they decided to go play that same game on the console.

That just blows my friggin mind
    Not just play it.. spend hundreds on it, despite already spending hundreds on the PC version.  I didn't understand it either. There are a lot more than I anticipated.. and the game isn't even out of beta until Saturday. 
    very bizarre but bizarre bevahors is not something I should be shocked about.

Torval said:
    It's going to be a harder sell to the studios. Why would Bethesda want to make a Play Anywhere title when they can milk Skyrim "Edition" over and over again. Seriously, Skyrim Switch edition should tell you the whole story right there.

As a consumer I love it. I don't even have an XB1 yet and I use it. I got Killer Instinct that way when it was a console exclusive. Forza is another title. I wish more studios, mostly the console exclusive titles, would adopt this.
    my gut tells me (and on this I could be very wrong) once the noveity of the feature wears off you will find yourself playing one game/one platform and stick to that one game on that one platform.

But I concede that on this I am so out of touch with understanding the logic that I could be wrong.

edited June 2017
    Torval said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Torval said:
    It's going to be a harder sell to the studios. Why would Bethesda want to make a Play Anywhere title when they can milk Skyrim "Edition" over and over again. Seriously, Skyrim Switch edition should tell you the whole story right there.

As a consumer I love it. I don't even have an XB1 yet and I use it. I got Killer Instinct that way when it was a console exclusive. Forza is another title. I wish more studios, mostly the console exclusive titles, would adopt this.
    my gut tells me (and on this I could be very wrong) once the noveity of the feature wears off you will find yourself playing one game/one platform and stick to that one game on that one platform.

But I concede that on this I am so out of touch with understanding the logic that I could be wrong.

Did you read my post? I already mostly only play on one platform, but I have access to games on XB1 that I couldn't have played otherwise. It's not just about playing on multiple platforms. It's about accessing games on whatever platform you want to play on without having to purchase another copy like in my Bethesda example above.

I've been using the system since it has been available. The novelty hasn't worn off. I like it and hope it becomes more ubiquitous across systems.

Good Old Games already does a similar thing as this with select publishers from time to time with their Steam Connect program. During certain promotional period you can add titles for free to your GoG library if you own them on Steam. The novelty of that hasn't worn off either.
    so the problem I have with that (from a business strategy perspective) is that the entire reason for making a game an exclusive in the first place is to encourage people to buy the physical console and then get locked into that ecosystem.
    Normally people who really want those exclusives badly will go out and buy a console which is exactly what Microsoft and Sony want people to do. With this they loose that, but gain people like yourself. which I wonder what the Net is between the two.

maybe what they are saying from a business side is that the 'exclusives' approach has not been working well for them

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    SEANMCAD said:
    I have always felt this program was really in the end no big deal either way. By that I mean its unlikely one would buy a game one would othewise not buy primarly because they can play the same game on two devices as the one aspect that swayed them to make that purchase.
    This is definitely true for me.

There are games I prefer to play on PC - MMOs, strategy, RPG, anything competitive. And there are a few games I prefer to play on consoles - platformers, racing, third-person explorers (Tomb Raider).

I have a PC my bedroom and all my consoles in the living room - there is little incentive for me to switch things up. Why would I play a racing game on the PC, if I enjoy it more on a console and the console is 6 meters away?

The newest Forza Horizon had the play anywhere feature. I installed it on the PC and while the graphics are generally superior, I quickly realised it's not as "fun" for me as playing on the console. So I only launched it on PC once and then went back to playing on the console.

I think the one setup where it makes sense is travelling between two places. If you have a console in one house and a gaming PC in another, it would make sense to use the feature regularly. With that said, I think the trend is households having multiple pieces of hardware at once, so it's probably not a great long-term strategy.

I see it more of a marketing thing. If you are deciding between XBox and PS4, it feels like you are getting twice the stuff with XBox, since you can also play the games on PC. You probably won't in reality, but it sounds good on paper.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    SEANMCAD said:
    gervaise1 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Wizardry said:

I think your getting off track on what I mean, but to be fair I was clear.

Lets say your standing in the game store looking at games, you see a game that is intresting but you not sure, then you read its multiplat one purchase. Is that factor alone going to be good enough to make you a new customer? if it was not multiplat one purchase would you then decide not to buy it. I dont think it would but I have seen people do some crazy ass stupid shit before so maybe.

so my question is really how does it specifically bringing in NEW customers and NEW revenue.
    I can only think of one specific scenario where it would affect my buying decision: games with splitscreen multiplayer. 

I generally stick to gaming on my PC as it is a superior experience for everything except splitscreen. Even though I can connect multiple xbox controllers to my PC, splitscreen on a 24 inch monitor whilst sitting on office chairs is vastly inferior to chilling on the sofa infront of a 42inch TV. 

So, if there was a game I wasn't that sure about, but that offered multi-platform and splitscreen multiplayer, I would be more inclined to buy it. 

That said, I don't own an Xbox 1, so the question is a bit moot. I bought a Wii U specifically because loads of games have splitscreen multiplayer, so its PC when gaming by myself, or Wii U when having a few drinks with friends.