Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Secret World questions

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
I never really gave TSW a chance, but I currently in the mood to try a different MMO.  I thought this might be worth a look.  Is the game on life support, or has this re-launch breathed new life into it?  Also, is the combat super fast and twitchy action style?  I'm terrible at action combat, especially at dodge rolling.  Thanks for any info!

Comments

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    SWL atm is definitely not on life support.  Lots of people in game and most people will agree the combat changes are good.  It is action combat with aiming like Tera.  But it's not super twitchy.  It really is not more involved than most tab target mmos.  Move out of red etc.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    edited June 2017
    OK, thank you!  Is there dodge rolling at all?  Or just, move the heck out of the red?
    OK, thank you!  Is there dodge rolling at all?  Or just, move the heck out of the red?
    Yes, you do have a roll ability.  It's not something you use every few seconds like in other mmos.  You can run out of aoe areas most of the time without the roll.
    [Deleted User]Robsolf
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 540
    Sorry for noobish questions.
    Situation: looking for alternative virtual home (Lotro becoming really...bad).
    Requirements: free to play, only optional PvP (i.e. 100% chance to avoid - be it PvP in specific areas like Lotro or just not flagging myself for pvP. In short - game I could not be ganked at all), preferably not hardcore. Crafting would be nice. Housing - really nice.
    --
    Question: what about SW:Legends combat? Tab-targetting or real-moving based? What about free play options (how really hard are restrictions)? Overall game difficulty - how easy is it to solo content and is it possible to run something like Lotro's Minstrel (ranged magic user + self-healer)?
    edited June 2017
    Sorry for noobish questions.
    Situation: looking for alternative virtual home (Lotro becoming really...bad).
    Requirements: free to play, only optional PvP (i.e. 100% chance to avoid - be it PvP in specific areas like Lotro or just not flagging myself for pvP. In short - game I could not be ganked at all), preferably not hardcore. Crafting would be nice. Housing - really nice.
    --
    Question: what about SW:Legends combat? Tab-targetting or real-moving based? What about free play options (how really hard are restrictions)? Overall game difficulty - how easy is it to solo content and is it possible to run something like Lotro's Minstrel (ranged magic user + self-healer)?
    SWL is now a reticle based action combat like Tera/GW2.  It is F2p and all content and future content are free.  If you didn't own The Secret World than any weapons/passives outside the 2 your class of choice starts with have to either be purchased with real money or in game currency  (Favor).  The other things for sale seem to be all cosmetic and character slots.  

The general world is pve only with no pvp. So no ganking. I believe there are some type of pvp battlegrounds you can queue for.  Haven't done any crafting and honestly not sure what it entails.  Atm no housing.  The content at least early game is about the average difficulty and solo friendly.  

You can use any weapon combo that you like.  So for example at the moment I am playing a melee swordsman that also does elemental ranged magic damage.  Feels like a spellblade that is a mix of melee and magic ranged.  Lots of other melee and ranged combos you can play.

If I were to give you one more piece of advice I would say you should also give ESO a shot because it fits almost all your criteria that you asked for.  But SWL is worth a try, especially since you can play and try it out with no money upfront.

I hope I answered all your questions.  If you think of anything else, I'll gladly help if I know the answer.
    Robsolf
    Well...I read there are main 2 factions: Illuminati and Templars. Any real difference about them (excluding role play/vanity)? Example: in Lotro it is very imoprtnat which race you join, you end up in same epic quest line, only with some minor racial abilities.
    Well...I read there are main 2 factions: Illuminati and Templars. Any real difference about them (excluding role play/vanity)? Example: in Lotro it is very imoprtnat which race you join, you end up in same epic quest line, only with some minor racial abilities.
    There are actually 3 factions. Illuminati,  Templar, and dragon.  Each faction has a different main city and some differences in story.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Hey there Lithuanian buddy, what's wrong with LotRO? I know, this new sunflower steed is very silly :smiley:  but beyond that? Mordor is near, looks pretty promising on Bullroarer, there will be some new stories there as well... What do you mean by "becoming really... bad"?

As for the question, there are 3 factions and not two. I guess easier this way, it covers all your questions and also funny :smiley:   https://youtu.be/DiEKJ0_K9nY
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Po_gg said:
    Hey there Lithuanian buddy, what's wrong with LotRO? I know, this new sunflower steed is very silly :smiley:  but beyond that? Mordor is near, looks pretty promising on Bullroarer, there will be some new stories there as well... What do you mean by "becoming really... bad"?

As for the question, there are 3 factions and not two. I guess easier this way, it covers all your questions and also funny :smiley:   https://youtu.be/DiEKJ0_K9nY
    LOL, somehow I KNEW it was gonna be that video before I even clicked it. 

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Glazes and grenades.
    In short (because nobody likes walls of text): started. Chose templars, created half-nude blonde woman. Class: some medium difficulty with Assault rifle. SO far lvl.1. Enjoying atmosphere.

Questions:
    1) Glaze. Sometimes I get it while fighting monsters. What does it really mean? Run away, stop shooting...?
    2) my grenade. I know I should have a grenade to launch - can't find how.

Controls - beside they are poorly done. Ctrl+R to claim qust reward, seriously?
    Glazes and grenades.
    In short (because nobody likes walls of text): started. Chose templars, created half-nude blonde woman. Class: some medium difficulty with Assault rifle. SO far lvl.1. Enjoying atmosphere.

Questions:
    1) Glaze. Sometimes I get it while fighting monsters. What does it really mean? Run away, stop shooting...?

1) Glance. It means your Hit rating is pretty low, or the mob is higher level than you. Sometimes it's also just RNG hating you, but in those cases it'll rarely happen. There are passives that give more hit rating, they make a pretty good investment.

2) You need a grenade skill to launch them. There are several in your skill tree to choose from.

[Deleted User]

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Glazes and grenades.

Questions:

I hear you on these.  AR mechanics took me awhile to figure out and get comfortable with but I finally did.  BTW the AOE on the Assault Rifle is really good, you will find mobs easier to kill with it plus you can also choose a unique play style, leach healing.  Secondly, the controls we god awful for me.  While everyone was running around the first area when the game launched for early start.  I was messing around with my controls reconfiguring almost everything to my liking.  It takes a small amount of time but imo its well worth the investment and it will save your config choices for all characters.
    Azaron_NightbladeMrMelGibsonKyleran
    Controls are still awfull, SWL does not shine with them (Ctrl-R to end mission, really?).
    More questions:
    1) Upgrading my weapon. I gathered some trash weapons, invoked Upgrade, placed main weapon into one window, 4 other weapons to smaller boxes...and my weapon was upgraded for 800 (? some kind of blue currency). Question: did I do right thing to uprgading starter weapon or should I wait for some quest tor rewardd me with something really nice?
    2) Weapon status. For my Mercenary, which weapon/talisman/belt/whatever statuses are main?
    3) Skills. This is where I am totally lost. I get no new attacks (so far only two, placed shot and AoE shot) + grenade. In Lotro, I have tens of attacks, from single target and AoE to damage over time. Could somebody wise advice me normal AoE setup?
    Hey guys, couple more questions:  Is this still a full MMO?  And, if you go with ranged combat, especially a shotgun, do you need to kite mobs?  I blow at kiting! 

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Hey guys, couple more questions:  Is this still a full MMO?  And, if you go with ranged combat, especially a shotgun, do you need to kite mobs?  I blow at kiting! 

Not a full MMO anymore, it is pretty much like GW1 if you have ever played that. 

Kiting, obviously, is a choice. But since you have to have 2 weapons you can always go Shotgun + Melee/close range weapon--that's what I did anyway. This way you can just attack mobs from range and when they got close go melee on them. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung

Not a full MMO anymore, it is pretty much like GW1 if you have ever played that. 

Kiting, obviously, is a choice. But since you have to have 2 weapons you can always go Shotgun + Melee/close range weapon--that's what I did anyway. This way you can just attack mobs from range and when they got close go melee on them. 
    Or not switch at all and just shoot them in the face point blank.
    There's no real difference between melee and ranged, except melee's abilities tend to have self heals more often. Other than that, it depends a lot on the gear you wear. Plenty of pure ranged specs out there.

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122
    I never really gave TSW a chance, but I currently in the mood to try a different MMO.  I thought this might be worth a look.  Is the game on life support, or has this re-launch breathed new life into it?  Also, is the combat super fast and twitchy action style?  I'm terrible at action combat, especially at dodge rolling.  Thanks for any info!

The game is full of people right now. A few months from now, who can say. Time will tell if this is a rejuvenation or simply a wave of initial curiosity.

The game is action based as others have said. The action is faster than a tab targeting MMORPG, but isn't Tera or WildStar fast. The action is fairly smooth, but not Tera or WildStar smooth.

Most of the game can now be played solo or in small groups. To me this makes more sense for the title as horror stories are generally presented with a focus on a small group of protagonists, and sometimes the individual.

It is generally best to use both weapons one has available for purposes of resource management. If costs are under control with just one that works too.

The best feature of SWL in my view is the story. It is the among the most interesting and best presented stories I have seen in an MMO.

The worst in my view is the stealth missions requiring you to avoid detection lest you be targeted and destroyed by megainstadeath lasers.

Puzzle solving is a major feature of the game. Some of them puzzles require research outside the game to solve by design, such as having you search for clues on web pages specifically created as part of the games background and story, or to gain some sort of obscure knowledge such as Morse code to decipher in game clues, or just to look up solutions to puzzles you find too hard to figure out.

The game also features a good deal of exploration reward, in the form of finding lore, but also in getting titles and cosmetics for overall completion rewards in which exploration is a part.

In summary, the game has a great story with a unique setting. Despite what some say it controls way better than TSW did, with the action smoother and faster.

However, if megainstadeath lasers in stealth mission greatly annoy you perhaps another game mentioned in this thread may be more suited to you.

ESO and GW2 are both great games, each in their own way.
    [Deleted User]Asm0deusRobsolf
    OK, so you can stick to shotgun the whole time?  No real need to weapon swap?
    The main reason to switch to a secondary is to spend that energy pool while you let your main regen a bit. You could easily compliment that shotgun with pistols, or elementalism and go the opposite route of what @Torval did lol. There's a particular elementalism focus that gets bonus damage each time you let it cool down for ten seconds, which makes it ideal as a secondary xD. Lots of weapons with special abilities to look into when it comes to enhancing your spec. :smiley:

edited August 2017
    Torval said:

There's no real difference between melee and ranged, except melee's abilities tend to have self heals more often. Other than that, it depends a lot on the gear you wear. Plenty of pure ranged specs out there.
    I switched from elemental / chaos to using shotgun as a secondary. It started with farming flappy during the event. I noticed pretty quick that I need a cheap easy cleanse. Shotgun doesn't ask for a lot for a secondary and has a decent punch.
    Flappy, and hard content in general seems to heavily favor full ranged builds tbh. Some bosses spam so many constant AoE's around themselves that they make it very hard to use your melee weapon efficiently =/ which of course means a huge drop in dps.
    sumdumguy1Octagon7711[Deleted User]

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Torval said:

I switched from elemental / chaos to using shotgun as a secondary. It started with farming flappy during the event. I noticed pretty quick that I need a cheap easy cleanse. Shotgun doesn't ask for a lot for a secondary and has a decent punch.
    Flappy, and hard content in general seems to heavily favor full ranged builds tbh. Some bosses spam so many constant AoE's around themselves that they make it very hard to use your melee weapon efficiently =/ which of course means a huge drop in dps.
    This is especially true in the harder elites.  Tanks have been having issues in the higher elites with melee builds and are being forced to use one, maybe two specific builds with chaos I believe.
    Octagon7711[Deleted User]Azaron_Nightblade
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    edited August 2017
    Just so you know you don't actually "swap" weapons.  Your character can hold two weapons at all times, one in your main hand and one in your offhand.

For example I right now am using pistols in main hand and shotgun in my offhand, you need to be aware of which is in the main hand and which is in the offhand as some skill only work if it's in your  "main hand" etc.

I have all pistols skills slotted except for one, my right click, which is my shotgun. This is for when I run out of energy for my pistols I spam my shotgun and once that empty switch back to my pistols.

Since I play in a static 3 man group usually my shotgun skill is a damage one but once in a while, for dungeons, I will switch in the group heal skill.
    [Deleted User]Robsolf

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Torval said:

This is especially true in the harder elites.  Tanks have been having issues in the higher elites with melee builds and are being forced to use one, maybe two specific builds with chaos I believe.
    I haven't tried tanking yet, but I can't say I'm surprised to hear that. XD

I think they need to go back to the drawing board with some of those mechanics in the future lol

Thanks for all the help, guys!  Unfortunately, I can't get the game to download at a decent rate.  The ETA to download finish keeps alternating between 70+ hours and "unknown."
    Tried to download again and it did the same thing...Did fine til 2 GB downloaded, then dropped to consistently below 100 KB/s, as low as 10 KB/s.