Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArcheAge - Possible to be a peaceful farmer?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
Hey folks, I played ArcheAge when it released.  I quit because, at the time, there were griefers blocking trade routes with wagons, and the developers were allowing this as a legitimate form of gameplay.  I understand that this sort of thing has since been banned.  Anyway, the one thing I absolutely loved about ArcheAge was the farming.  Is it possible, at this point in the game, to come in on a new account and make a living farming and selling crops, and doing trade runs?  Is there a market for crops, other than NPC's?  Is it possible for a player to have a rewarding experience mainly focusing on this?  Hell, does anyone even play the game now?  Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    I also have a lot of the same questions I remember rage quitting shortly after release because of the land grab it was almost impossible to buy a house and enjoy any of those features in the game. I would imagine a lot of the community has went away by now and it may be a little more playable than it was back then..
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Yeah, the lack of land in the beginning damaged my experience, too.  I had a couple of small plots I enjoyed farming on, especially with stupid fruit trees for some reason, LOL.  I wonder where all the farming is done these days?  In PvP areas?
  • LuidenLuiden Member RarePosts: 336
    It's a P2W game, why would you play it?  If you like farming, go in the back yard and plant something, you could sell it at a farmers market and make real money.  Much more enjoyable and less stressful then playing a P2W game.
    MrMelGibsonLucienRenemanjosewingoodWhiteshade92
    How is the farming aspect P2W?  Buying energy that allows you to farm more?
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Luiden said:
    It's a P2W game, why would you play it?  If you like farming, go in the back yard and plant something, you could sell it at a farmers market and make real money.  Much more enjoyable and less stressful then playing a P2W game.
    Thanks for your helpful insight lol.
    MightyUncleanLucienRenemanjosewingoodWhiteshade92
    Luiden said:
    Your welcome, I saved the original poster probably 3,000 a year buying energy.
    LOL shittttttt, I wouldn't spend over $25 a month on any MMO.  If you have to spend a ton of cash to be a farmer in AA, then it's not for me.
    Luiden said:
    Luiden said:
    You're*
    Luiden said:
    Luiden said:
    You're*
    Mr. Mel Gibson
    MrMelGibsonPhry
    Luiden said:
    Luiden said:
    Luiden said:
    You're*
    Mr. Mel Gibson
    Can't put spaces or a period in user name.  But nice try :wink:
    Phry
    So to farm, realistically, how much $$ would one have to spend on energy?
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    It's still a pvp game with griefers, they just find new ways to do it.  If you want to play as a farmer this isn't really the game for you.  Don't waste your money.  Unfortunately I don't know a game other than single player for this type of gameplay.
    All the trade runs and farming are done in PvP zones now?  When I was playing at the beginning, you could farm and trade in non-PvP zones or during non-PvP times, although you earned less money doing so.
    Can anyone think of another MMO, or any non-P2W, online game that has farming or animal rearing on the level of Archeage?  I've been playing the heck out of Stardew Valley, but I miss interaction with other players.  Thanks for any info!
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Can anyone think of another MMO, or any non-P2W, online game that has farming or animal rearing on the level of Archeage?  I've been playing the heck out of Stardew Valley, but I miss interaction with other players.  Thanks for any info!
    BDO is often compared as the alternative to archeage but it's not as "sandbox" and has a more limited approach.

It's also why I wait for Life is Feudal MMO, that great sandbox farming approach with actual economy play and all, however, it's going heavy on PvP, safe, only behind walls.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited July 2017
    Farming Simulator 17. Says multiplayer up to 16 people.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PeskyPesky Member UncommonPosts: 157
    edited July 2017
    You can absolutely play as a peaceful farmer! It's what I've done for years.

I have NEVER engaged in PVP! NEVER! So don't be discouraged by people telling you it's a PvP game. It's not!

In fact, people playing ArcheAge for the PvP are going to be disappointed. Carebear farmers on the other hand will enjoy themselves immensely.

There are peaceful zones where you can farm all over the world. You never have to enter a PvP zone if you don't want to (but even PvP zones have peace times where you can finish up quests and do whatever else you need to do without ever having to worry about PvPers).

But one of the best changes in patch 3.5 was the removal of labor costs for planting in the wild. What this means is, it now costs the same amount of labor to plant and harvest a 'hidden' farm as it does to plant and harvest an owned farm (and you don't have to pay tax on a hidden farm. Nor do you need to be a Patron).

There's always the risk that somebody will find your hidden farm and steal all your crops of course, but that's all part of the fun and challenge of carebear life. I love looking for and finding new spots to hide my farms (I don't bother to own land anymore. The whole world is my farm now and I'm free to go where I like).

Anyway, you should definitely give it a try. The only thing you MUST have is access to the Auction House. You can get this by buying Patron for 1 month (once you have patron you'll have access to the Auction House forever more, even if you let your patron expire).

Or you can buy an Auction House License. You’ll need 150 credits to buy it. The lowest amount of credits you can buy is 750 for a cost $4.99 US dollars. This will also give you a spare 600 credits to buy things like ‘Expansion Scrolls’ to expand your Inventory and Warehouse space.

Then start doing some research. ArcheAge is a game that rewards intelligence and knowledge. Study the Auction House to see what's in demand, make use of spread sheets. The economic side of ArcheAge is more fun and rewarding than any other game I've ever played.

Best of luck.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited July 2017
    Hey folks, I played ArcheAge when it released.  I quit because, at the time, there were griefers blocking trade routes with wagons, and the developers were allowing this as a legitimate form of gameplay.  I understand that this sort of thing has since been banned.  Anyway, the one thing I absolutely loved about ArcheAge was the farming.  Is it possible, at this point in the game, to come in on a new account and make a living farming and selling crops, and doing trade runs?  Is there a market for crops, other than NPC's?  Is it possible for a player to have a rewarding experience mainly focusing on this?  Hell, does anyone even play the game now?  Thanks for any advice!

Yes and no it used to be but "Trions" Stupid idiotic decisions killed the game...

1.) They fixed it so guilds can go to war with no cool-down prior so u can get attacked at any time unless ur guild pops peace treaty which is a stupid mechanic.

2.) There are still griefers.

3.) Can it be peaceful yes, but IMO Arche Age is dead and not worth playing good MMO, bad company / publisher.

Your talking to someone who had (Several Dedicated) farming accounts on a single server with over 20 + 24x24 farms + houses + Mansions.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    The issue with AA is the better trade runs and stuff is in PvP areas.  Between losing access to top pay from avoiding PvP areas and the pain of trying to find land in peaceful areas, I would recommend BDO instead.

In BDO, you can have a farmer and just not do the level 50 quest.  That character will be stuck at level 49 and will not be PvP-able (no one can kill you unless you duel).  You still get access to all the areas for trade runs since you can not be attacked and you can farm anywhere.  I also find the horse leveling/breeding in BDO addicting.  When leveling horses, they get random skills and some are worth more than others.  Through breeding, you can make a ton of money and work to create horses with the best skills but it takes quite a bit of time and effort.

I also find BDO a much more solo-friendly game with a less aggressive cash shop. 
    wingood
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Talonsin said:
    The issue with AA is the better trade runs and stuff is in PvP areas.  Between losing access to top pay from avoiding PvP areas and the pain of trying to find land in peaceful areas, I would recommend BDO instead.

In BDO, you can have a farmer and just not do the level 50 quest.  That character will be stuck at level 49 and will not be PvP-able (no one can kill you unless you duel).  You still get access to all the areas for trade runs since you can not be attacked and you can farm anywhere.  I also find the horse leveling/breeding in BDO addicting.  When leveling horses, they get random skills and some are worth more than others.  Through breeding, you can make a ton of money and work to create horses with the best skills but it takes quite a bit of time and effort.

I also find BDO a much more solo-friendly game with a less aggressive cash shop. 

OK, that might be a good alternative.  Is the BDO farming as detailed as Archeage?  You plant crops by hand, etc.?  Is there a market for what you grow?  Thanks!