Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what do you think about achievements in games ?

slygamer1979slygamer1979 Member UncommonPosts: 101
edited June 2017 in General Gaming
do you think they are unnecessary in games or not ?

I've been a trophy hunter for awhile at least since i got into doing it on PS3/PS4 games but for my time owning the consoles i've only managed to get 28 platinums and some games i don't wanna even play a second time through if i can't get the platinum trophies.
steam the game i'm closest to getting all achievements out of 60+ games is skyrim and its only 3 achievements in the dragonborn DLC so technically i did get all the trophies for ONE pc game lol.

Post edited by slygamer1979 on

Comments

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    it can be a nice reminder down the road to reminisce 

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    edited June 2017
    I like journals that basically log your travels but typically I don't give a rat's arse about achievements. I prefer to be in control of my own destiny and not climb some random mountain to get an unlock for reaching the top.

The majority of them are lazy time sinks developers throw in instead of designing dynamic rewards from actual game play. It just turns into people looking it up on the internet on what to do.
    gunklackerSovrathTyranusPrime

You stay sassy!

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    It is a way to give a reward that is not a reward.  In essence you can give an achievement without making a character stronger through items or richer through coin, but still having that endorphin release that keeps people playing.
  • gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Tamanous said:
    I like journals that basically log your travels but typically I don't give a rat's arse about achievements. I prefer to be in control of my own destiny and not climb some random mountain to get an unlock for reaching the top.

The majority of them are lazy time sinks developers throw in instead of designing dynamic rewards from actual game play. It just turns into people looking it up on the internet on what to do.
    This might be the Best post ever.......  
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    When they're more than just motivation for the OCD crowd, they can be fun. I like the way ESO unlocks free account-wide dyes and costumes based on them.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• VideoJockeyVideoJockey Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Unless I'm getting one for being good at the game, I don't really care. Otherwise it's just extra work. 
  • PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    i think they are a little over done. they don't really bother me but i dont go out of my way to get 1 unless its something interesting or hard to do.
  • shetlandslarsenshetlandslarsen Member UncommonPosts: 203
    well in mmos i do not care about them but in steam i do think i have around 1440 of them. Iremember in civ5 we had a race who could do most achievements in the shortest amount of time. 
    I am a scizo misanthrope. So one day I may go BANZAI on your post.
    Have not yet though. Maybe there is hope?
    Nah there is really none for me or the human race. 
  • slygamer1979slygamer1979 Member UncommonPosts: 101
    achievements should really unlock in game goodies, that makes the most sense to me overall.
    i don't care much about achievements on PC i think because i don't have many friends on steam and the ones i do have aren't impressed with achievements lol.

whereas my PSN friends i get comments now and then when i plat a game but i guess i'm justifying my time and money spent by taking the time to get the platinum for at least some of my games.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Achievements in games tend to be minor distractions, have played more than a few MMO's now where you get a random in game message saying you have achieved 'x' half the time you don't notice it, and i can't say i've really paid much attention to them.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited June 2017
    In-game achievements, Steam achievements, PSN trophies, XB achievement gamerscore, they are all overrated.

I think the right idea, as its name implies (achievement/trophy) is something you earn for your success after an arduous task during your epic journey.

That meaning is long gone. Even creating a character gives you an achievement in some games.
    As a result, I don't really care or pursue achievement/trophies in games. I play the game and whatever pops up on my screen after doing any chore its just that, a pop up.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    For the most part, they are massively overused and pointless so I ignore them almost all the time. 

Occasionally I will look into what achievements are available in a game in order to provide me with inspiration. For example, some of the achievements in the XCOM games are for things like "Complete a level with only female characters" or "Only use assault classes" etc. A more recent example is Total Warhammer - there was an achievement for having something like 8 orc armies on the go at once. These sorts of achievements get me to think outside of my usual box and can open up new possibilities. 
    rojoArcueid
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,500
    I like achievements as long as they are not something that are required to do something else in the game.  They are a good way to award some cosmetic items for those achievements that can be difficult.  It is a good way to reward some players who like to have that extra little challenge to do something.  I tend to do achievements when I just have a little time and want something to do myself. 

• TyranusPrimeTyranusPrime Member UncommonPosts: 306
    The only "achievement" system that I can say I actually liked was City of Heroes' badges.. With a simple inspection of a character, you could see every badge they had earned and see a little bit of their personal story.. Whether from exploring, grouping, raiding, holiday events, or combat, the badges were by far the most fun and least tedious of any "achievement" system.. I wanted them and their associated titles, but never felt pushed to get them.. 10 out of 10..

..because we're gamers, damn it!! - William Massachusetts (Log Horizon)

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I love achievements. But I only go for them on Playstation. But each game is different. There are games (like Bloodborne) which got a very fun journey to get that Platinum trophy. Those are actually enjoyable. Witcher 3 sucked, because you had to make certain choices to get the trophy, and for me personally doesn't have a replayability value. But the part which makes you experience the whole game fully was nice.
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • slygamer1979slygamer1979 Member UncommonPosts: 101
    I love achievements. But I only go for them on Playstation. But each game is different. There are games (like Bloodborne) which got a very fun journey to get that Platinum trophy. Those are actually enjoyable. Witcher 3 sucked, because you had to make certain choices to get the trophy, and for me personally doesn't have a replayability value. But the part which makes you experience the whole game fully was nice.
    yeah witcher 3 trophies kinda suck, one that still bothers me to this day is collecting every gwent card which i never got around too :-1: