Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BDO latest patch - karma penalty doubled for killing other players

DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 20,648
The Karma lost when flagging up and PKing another player has increased.
  • 60,000 Karma → 120,000 Karma.

So - 3 player kills will take a max karma player into negative 

At negative karma, death can result in gear LOSING enchantment levels so your DUO can go down to PRI etc... Or something that you've spend billions on like (PEN/TET losing levels)

Three PKs will take any player into negative now

Thoughts?

lokiboardTorvalMiffi89d_20barasawaLucienRene

Comments

• ErevusErevus Member UncommonPosts: 94
    Who TF Cares.
    BDO is already finished by KAKAO with their Steam Launch and Huge LAG problems.
    All they care is to bring some more wallets to game and make it more carebear.
    PvP is finished long time ago in this P2W game and as u see it aint comin back.
    TyserieCopperfieldGdemami
    "We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing"

Benjamin Franklin
  • PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 461
    Now in line with the Korean version really.
    Torval
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,756
    Well, it's in-line with their focus of solo/casual play.  Nobody likes being pk'ed when they just want to solo-farm their life away.

Unfortunately, it takes away one of the only interesting things that can happen to you at endgame, which is PVP over a farming spot.  Most of the fun I had at endgame, which was very limited even before this change, was getting ganked while trying to farm a spot solo.  Turning the tables on them, working out compromises etc. made for fun/funny times.
    LucienRene
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    edited July 2017
    Non-consensual PvP is akin to an MMORPG terminal disease.  It eats away at a game until its eventual and certain death.  The only reason developers opt to include it in their MMO's is to maximize their bottom dollar profits by poaching away at the hard-core PvP-centric demographic, but it is always just a matter of time before developers put their game under the knife and cut off the disease (non-consensual PvP) in an effort to save it before their game dies.  It happens in almost every MMORPG.  Some of them manage to survive after making change, others not so much.

TheelyAllerleirauhWylfgunklackerOctagon7711LucienReneJean-Luc_PicardMrMelGibsonNinnghizhidda
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 26,793
    Non-consensual PvP is akin to an MMORPG terminal disease.  It eats away at a game until its eventual and certain death.  The only reason developers opt to include it in their MMO's is to maximize their bottom dollar profits by poaching away at the hard-core PvP-centric demographic, but it is always just a matter of time before developers put their game under the knife and cut off the disease (non-consensual PvP) in an effort to save it before their game dies.  It happens in almost every MMORPG.  Some of them manage to survive after making change, others not so much.

Yeah but we we are talking about eastern games here. They play these games a bit differently than "some westerners".

And considering that eastern games seem to have put open world pvp in their games for a long time I don't think that's about maximizing bottom dollar by enticing the hardcore pvp centric demographic.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 33,283
    edited July 2017

CCP would like to disagree with you. If anything EVE has more non consensual PVP than ever before, probably whats helping keep the game alive at this point.
    holdenhamletNephethGdemamiConstantineMerus

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,509
    While some find it exciting, I'm under the impression that PvP cost the game more than it gained, from reading the forums of people who said they quit after getting ganked, people who came up with all sorts of ways to stay underlevelled  (and thus no longer joining the "endgame community" for future content, etc) or got mad when ways to stay underlevelled were removed, and people who said they weren't going to play BDO in the first place because of PvP.

Truthfully, whlie I've seen a small few current BDO players in support of the PvP in the game after they already had the game, never once did I see a single person post that they were going to buy BDO because it had open world PvP in it, so I doubt it really gained them that many customers.

Seems like for whatever reason (metrics?  Polls?  Surveys?) the developers of BDO now agree... at least a little.

Not that this should be any surprise to most people.  The majority of us rknow that combining open-world PvP and theme park tends to do more harm than good.  I'm really surprised most Korean MMOs still do it (ASTRA, Astella, Revelations, whatever), but I guess maybe they all are trying to get some of that Lineage pie (of which none of them have ever succeeded at)
    Kylerand_20LucienRene
    edited July 2017
    Sovrath said:

Yeah but we we are talking about eastern games here. They play these games a bit differently than "some westerners".

And considering that eastern games seem to have put open world pvp in their games for a long time I don't think that's about maximizing bottom dollar by enticing the hardcore pvp centric demographic.

What do you presume Eastern developers include non-consensual OWPvP in their game if not to maximize their bottom dollar?  Eastern culture may promote a different mindset in regard to how "respectful" the execution of the non-consensual OWPvP aspect of the game is to be played out, but that has little to do with their desire to also maximize their bottom line profit potential by including OWPvP.  

In others words, the difference between the Eastern and Western MMORPG gaming demographic has more to do with the culture that is displayed in their non-consensual OWPvP games than it does with money.  There is little doubt that they include it to maximize their bottom line profit potential because including it obviously opens up their games to include the PvP-centric playing demographic that would otherwise not play if OWPvP was not included in the game.

LucienRene
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 6,944
    OWPVP now come get your uber player killing sword in our shop!
    holdenhamletConstantineMerus
    Kyleran said:

CCP would like to disagree with you. If anything EVE has more non consensual PVP than ever before, probably whats helping keep the game alive at this point.

Eve is an anomaly in the MMO sphere.  For years it has been the torch carrying model for the OWPvP-centric crowd in an attempt to assign non-consensual OWPvP a measure of viability in the MMORPG genre, yet they'd be hard-pressed to find another with equal success.  That said, I wouldn't necessarily categorize Eve as an MMORPG in the classical case.   It's a space sim/FPS type shooter that carves a niche all by its lonesome.  And even though it stands alone its niche, it has never really been a powerhouse in the MMORPG industry.  It is a game popularized by its monopolized niche.

Octagon7711GdemamiLucienReneMrMelGibson
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 26,793
    Sovrath said:

What do you presume Eastern developers include non-consensual OWPvP in their game if not to maximize their bottom dollar?  Eastern culture may promote a different mindset in regard to how "respectful" the execution of the non-consensual OWPvP aspect of the game is to be played out, but that has little to do with their desire to also maximize their bottom line profit potential by including OWPvP.  

In others words, the difference between the Eastern and Western MMORPG gaming demographic has more to do with the culture that is displayed in their non-consensual OWPvP games than it does with money.  There is little doubt that they include it to maximize their bottom line profit potential because including it obviously opens up their games to include the PvP-centric playing demographic that would otherwise not play if OWPvP was not included in the game.

Well, in that case then EVERYTHING is included to promote bottom dollar. Solely PvE games are there to promote maximum dollar, games that heavily rely upon crafting are there to promote "maximum dollar" from people who are looking for that, etc.

In which case your statement is moot. Why would you state it if everything is there to promote maximum sales?
    LucienRene

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Maybe now people will stop saying BDO is a PVP game.

• MadCoderOneMadCoderOne Member UncommonPosts: 213
    edited July 2017
    I have a user ignored, yet can see his post in this thread. Any particular reason? I am logged in. TIA (are only replies hidden perhaps?)
  • lokiboardlokiboard Member UncommonPosts: 229
    Letting young impressionable minds learn there aren't consequences for doing harm to others......hmmm......What could go wrong there?       I call the game DBO.   D_ _ _ _ _ Bags Online.
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,410
    It's a good change. A majority of the most popular open pvp games in Korea have fairly stiff PK penalties. People that want to pvp are in guilds and alliances that war. It's about options and consequences.

This brings PK penalties more in line with what I read about the Korean version.
    MadFrenchieDistopiaLucienReneMrMelGibson
    take back the hobby: https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/

traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,840
    edited July 2017
    Why not just remove the OWPVP all together FFS? 

It's clear this game started one way and they went in another direction for the quick bag.

***OH and here comes the booty hurt victim of OWPVP past bringing their "pain" and projecting it on to every game with OWPVP in it. Seriously kid go see a therapist.
    Miffi89TheScavenger
    Raging Demons for all flowchart "Kens". This is a metaphor.
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:

Well, in that case then EVERYTHING is included to promote bottom dollar. Solely PvE games are there to promote maximum dollar, games that heavily rely upon crafting are there to promote "maximum dollar" from people who are looking for that, etc.

In which case your statement is moot. Why would you state it if everything is there to promote maximum sales?

Everything is obviously there to promote bottom dollar.  It is obvious that any additional features added to an MMORPG, or any game for that matter, has the potential to increase its bottom dollar profit potential.  The addition of crafting to a bare-bones PvE game experience will no doubt improve its bottom line profit potential, as would, say, dungeons to a bare bones PvE/crafting MMORPG, etc and so on.  But you are intentionally being disingenuous by comparing the addition of a feature like crafting to an MMORPG, to adding non-consensual OWPvP to an MMORPG.  

The addition of non-consensual OWPvP added to a PvE game will attract not only the PvE player demographic that enjoys all of the above in their PvE gaming experience, but also the non-consensual OWPvP centric demographic.  These two groups are essentially two different play-style gaming demographics. That is a significant difference, hence an significant addition in regard to bottom line profit earnings potential.

That said, you are making my case.  My point was simply that developers add non-consensual OWPvP to maximize the bottom line profit potential that they would realize from the game that they would otherwise not have realized had they not included it.  

In which case it is your response that is moot so why would you state it if nothing you have responded with contradicts that fact.

LucienRene
    TheScavenger
    edited July 2017

It's clear this game started one way and they went in another direction for the quick bag.

***OH and here comes the booty hurt victims of OWPVP past bringing their "pain" and projecting it on to every game with OWPVP in it. Seriously kid go see a therapist.

Hahaha, you're the first person to cry and get all salty about it. It's funny how the gankers are the first to throw tantrums. Your lazy pvp mechanic got ruined. Boo hoo. It was bad design made to pander to lazy western pvp gankers.

Might still makes right in these games. Indiscriminate use of "might makes right" could now leave you in a place where you have to account for that. For the first time since the game's western launch a PK choice matters now. That's good design. Choices matter.
    MrMelGibson

༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

Torval said:

***OH and here comes the booty hurt victims of OWPVP past bringing their "pain" and projecting it on to every game with OWPVP in it. Seriously kid go see a therapist.

Hahaha, you're the first person to cry and get all salty about it. It's funny how the gankers are the first to throw tantrums. Your lazy pvp mechanic got ruined. Boo hoo. It was bad design made to pander to lazy western pvp gankers.

Might still makes right in these games. Indiscriminate use of "might makes right" could now leave you in a place where you have to account for that. For the first time since the game's western launch a PK choice matters now. That's good design. Choices matter.
    Go get therapy. You assume I'm some "ganker" because I think it's moronic to behave as if OWPVP is some pariah because I don't like how it feels when my digital character dies at the hand of another player.

Your lazy pvp mechanic got ruined. Boo hoo. It was bad design made to pander to lazy western pvp gankers.

Yes, go get some help. Because I wasn't "the first person to cry and get all salty about it". I was responding to this melodramatic drivel:

Non-consensual PvP is akin to an MMORPG terminal disease.  It eats away at a game until its eventual and certain death.

Seriously you guys need to get your wounds tended to and stop projecting your D type personality quirks on a gaming style because you're too thin skinned to deal with it. 

If everybody is an evil ganker, what does that make you? NPC fodder who needs to be saved?  Cut it out.

TorvalMiffi89TheScavengerMrMelGibson
    edited July 2017
    Torval said:

Go get therapy. You assume I'm some "ganker" because I think it's moronic to behave as if OWPVP is some pariah because I don't like how it feels when my digital character dies at the hand of another player.

Your lazy pvp mechanic got ruined. Boo hoo. It was bad design made to pander to lazy western pvp gankers.

Yes, go get some help. Because I wasn't "the first person to cry and get all salty about it". I was responding to this melodramatic drivel:

Non-consensual PvP is akin to an MMORPG terminal disease.  It eats away at a game until its eventual and certain death.

Seriously you guys need to get your wounds tended to and stop projecting your D type personality quirks on a gaming style because you're too thin skinned to deal with it. 

If everybody is an evil ganker, what does that make you? NPC fodder who needs to be saved?  Cut it out.

And you "tough, hardcore" PvP-centric folk act like you're some type of real life hard-core cowboy/macho/thick skinned type individuals simply because you like to play as "asshats" in an MMORPG game.  This has nothing to do with others being thin skinned, weak, pacifists, or scared of you, and everything to do with not wanting our game play experience involuntarily ruined by some dude in their mother's basement attempting to exert the tough macho man persona in a game that they may otherwise be unable to exert in real life.

The biggest misnomer in your self entitled hard-core argument is that anyone who doesn't subscribe to your type of BS macho man game play is thin skinned, scared, weak and somehow in need of therapy because they have been traumatized over their virtual digital character's health bar going down to zero in an MMORPG.  

Its a damn game! 

Some of us just want to relax and play a game for fun.  Going around hopping like a spastic psychotic rabbit, involuntarily harassing and ruining other player's gaming experience, and talking/listening to childish macho talk may be your idea of fun, but its not everyone's idea of fun while playing an MMORPG.

Viper482Distopiad_20LucienReneJean-Luc_PicardMrMelGibson
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,509
    Torval said:

Well, your attitude is certainly doing nothing to prove them otherwise, at least.
    DistopiaMrMelGibson
    FTFY ;)

MadFrenchied_20TheScavengerLucienReneMrMelGibson

༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

• DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 20,648
    edited July 2017
    I have a gank toon now at negative million karma ;). Spare gear so dont care about losing ench levels.

I do have my other mains (like my Wiz for PvE farming and a witch for boss kills).

There are occasions where I see people on their mains just lose it, flag for PvP and start killing - had to talk a guy down yesterday over going into negative karma - lol was hillarious. He was bent on killing me while I was like "dude this is your main, you have a tri Ogre FFS you want to risk level loss on that?" Finally came to his senses lol.
    holdenhamletd_20LucienRene
  • GavyneGavyne Member UncommonPosts: 116
    They should've provided players with separate PvE & PvP servers to begin with.  Let PvE players play PvE, let PvP players enjoy PvP.  They insist on mashing everybody together, then try to balance things out by dumb karma penalties.  The end result is the game is frustrating for both PvE & PvP players because neither could truly enjoy the game fully.

Even pre-patch there was already a lack of PvP action.  It's just worse now.
    Viper482KyleranLucienReneJean-Luc_PicardMrMelGibson

Played: EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-LOTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO-BDO
    Waiting For: CU & Vanilla WoW