Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Previous TSW player with new SWL player

RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
So I had bought TSW a while back, hadn't had a chance to play it much. I have one character that had gotten through just a little bit of the story - maybe 30 hours in or so very casually.

Now that SWL is out, I thought my wife might be interested - she's into X-Filesy stuff, this is right up that alley.

She created a character today. I created a new character (because I had forgotten how to play entirely, and figured it wouldn't be bad to get through the tutorial again). We've both gotten through the intro, past Agartha and into Kingsmouth

How do we hook up in game?

I was able to select a server when I created a new character, wife was not - no idea where she landed, but I've heard server selection doesn't really matter anyway. We both chose same faction. Sending tells to each other's nicknames doesn't go through (No user with nick "xxxxx" is online). Friend requests just fail silently.

Best Answers

• ScarranScarran UncommonPosts: 102
    edited June 2017 Answer ✓
    Ridelynn said:
    This may be stupid, but am I still playing The Secret World, while my wife is playing Secret World Legends? The game play on both our clients is identical, it's just a few UI differences that exist between the two clients. If I log into her client, none of my characters are there.

The short answer would be yes as SWL isn't on Steam yet. This is the official steam page which as of yet has no download link http://store.steampowered.com/app/215280/Secret_World_Legends/

Also I do know they disabled the link for the original but if you had it already added to your library im guessing that still works.
    Ridelynn
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Answer ✓
    Yep it's two different games.  I have a set of characters on each version.  You will have to D/L and install SWL on your pc and log in using your TSW login name and password, you will have to create fresh characters for this game.  So it's two different games which will have two different launchers.  So yes you should be able to use your same username and password but your characters don't transfer over.

Here's some information on transfers of vanity items if you're eligible.
    https://secretworldlegends.com/news/legacy-transfers/
    RobsolfRidelynnMrMelGibson

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• RobsolfRobsolf RarePosts: 4,607
    edited June 2017 Answer ✓
    Octagon is 100% right.  You couldn't run together any less successfully if one of you was playing Star Wars Galaxies.

They are 2 different games, my friend.  See Octa's link for transferring goodies.  Also, make sure you've spent all your in game dough before you do so.

Not faulting you for missing that.  Just telling you flat out.  The two games absolutely DO NOT talk to each other.

RidelynnAgent_JosephMrMelGibson
  • Po_ggPo_gg EpicPosts: 5,749
    Answer ✓
    Legends is client-only at the moment, even if they replaced all the names on steam the steamy launch will be next month. If you see the Wheel in the game, you are playing TSW, which would explain why you can't group with wife on Legends.

Answers

• fraz13fraz13 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Not sure if this is what your looking for but ....

press enter
     /invite "Player nickname"

Other player should get option to join you.
    Ridelynn
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Thanks for the suggestion @fraz13 - tried that, and it does nothing.  No error message, nothing on the other client pops up, just nothing. 

So I own the game via Steam, if it makes any difference. Steam says I'm running SWL now, and the gameplay is identical to what my wife sees, who downloaded the game directly from Funcom. I have the in game store that says SWL. The Character Creators are different, I still have the Skill Wheel interface, a few other minor differences.

So I tried "Repair Broken Data' and "Full Client Bundle" via the launcher. I did get another ~385MB patch from doing that.

This may be stupid, but am I still playing The Secret World, while my wife is playing Secret World Legends? The game play on both our clients is identical, it's just a few UI differences that exist between the two clients. If I log into her client, none of my characters are there.

edited June 2017
    Yeah if I go to Secret World Legends page on Steam - it says "In Library" and allows me the option to play now.

Thanks @Scarran, I think that's probably what's going on. I'm copying the SWL client from Wife's computer and will see what happens with that.
    Thanks for the offer Torval - copying my wife's install worked. As Robsolf and others pointed out, it's still two separate games and I didn't realize it.
    MrMelGibson[Deleted User]