Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No MMORPGS to get excited about for the foreseeable future

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited June 2017
    rush1984 said:
    well , im still waiting for a MMORPG to play  even after all this time :(  This topic is really starting to become fact :( Maybe i will play the new ff14 stormblood expansion, i  dont think ill enjoy it though.

Now that bless online has been cancelled my only and probably my last hope will be Dark and Light....

Just upgraded my pc too.......  grr give game !!!!
    I will say this..
    If I was still into MMORPGs like I used to be I would be looking at the following games like crazy
    -Dual Universe
    -Life is Feudal (which I actually have the single player version)
    -Wurm Online (I used to play that most of the time)

At the moment for me its going to be empyrion galactic survival beta 6.0

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    Vardahoth said:
    Originally posted by rush1984
    It really seems that mmorpgs are dying to me I havent gone this long without being hyped for one mmorpg or another for so long, seems to me devs aint listening to what long term players and cater to the play 1 month and move on players. All the games coming up crowfall, camelot unchained to name a couple just seem meh and everquest next well if that actually gets made i cant see it being any good, Its like they have no idea what players want :S Nope i really think this is it for now, maybe between 2018-2020 some good mmorpgs will get made using oculus rift or something  which might be pretty cool seems like a long time  to wait:(   I want a mmo to keep me interested like wow did back in vannila through to tbc , but that doesnt seem like its possible anymore.

You just signed yourself up to be attacked by the casual crowd that plays these games. Good luck. In any case, read my sig for comfort.

Originally posted by Hariken
    I went back to my old favorites. Cleaned out my PC of all the hyped up junk mmo's. Probably should stop coming to sites like this too. Getting hyped up for what turns out to be just bad games Skyforge being the last one. That game really opened my eyes that being sucked by hype for bad games is all sites like this do sometimes. The MMO players that love what they play don't come to sites like this.

This I can agree with.

Originally posted by Daikuru
    Originally posted by Mikeha
    Originally posted by Daikuru
    Blade and Soul and Black Desert, also Lineage Eternal and Lost Ark are not far away.

Looking forward to them all. People who already dismiss games that have not even released don't deserve anything to play.image

My thoughts exactly!

Yes, we need to play crap in order to realize it's crap, only to be told by players like yourselves it's not crap and the most awesomest game evah.

Originally posted by alyndale
    I understand and am sympathetic to your opinion, Rush. However, we all have read this thread before from various others on this forum. The feeling that mmorpgs are "dying" is of course quite a subjective feeling. I for one am hoping that in the next five years we'll begin seeing a change in philosophy. What that will be, I can't surmise. I still have faith in those young game makers and "dreamers". There is still quite a bit of creativity yet to be tapped. I have read a few truly wonderful ideas here on this forum.   Keepin' the faith... Alyn  

I lost my faith in the young generation. They grew up without experiencing loss in a game, and have no idea what implies good characteristics of a game:

Notice how movies are also getting worse? Watch idiocracy, it will explain everything.

*ROLLS EYES*
  • rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Well I bought stormblood...... but unfortunately I can't join my sister's server "cerberus" it's locked ,  and my original server moogle  is so congested I've been queing for 2 hours now and it keeps giving error as soon as it gets close , putting me back at end of queue.
    I might request a refund doubtful they will give one though. Anyone else thinking of getting it is suggest you wait a month 
  • rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Stormblood seems pretty decent so far , I finally got through the queue , red mage is fun
    While everyone complains and laments over their gaming experiences I am having a blast, best era ever!

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    SEANMCAD said:
    While everyone complains and laments over their gaming experiences I am having a blast, best era ever!
    yeh .. Destiny 2 looks fun. 
    SEANMCAD said:
    I am talking about games that are out right now that you can buy and play right now.

MMORPG forum posters tend to ONLY think about games in the future as if talking about gaming only means future games not current games

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited June 2017
    rush1984 said:

It really seems that mmorpgs are dying to me

I havent gone this long without being hyped for one mmorpg or another for so long, seems to me devs aint listening to what long term players and cater to the play 1 month and move on players.

All the games coming up crowfall, camelot unchained to name a couple just seem meh and everquest next well if that actually gets made i cant see it being any good, Its like they have no idea what players want :S

Nope i really think this is it for now, maybe between 2018-2020 some good mmorpgs will get made using oculus rift or something  which might be pretty cool seems like a long time  to wait:(

I want a mmo to keep me interested like wow did back in vannila through to tbc , but that doesnt seem like its possible anymore.

I think games like Crowfall and Camelot Unchained are the hope of the genre. Maybe not those specific titles but ones like them. The thing with games like that is that they may not be everyone's cup of tea but they are aiming themselves at their own target market and making something that appeals to that market. For instance I think Crowfall has a lot of potential to be a game I will enjoy even though it apparently doesn't appeal to you at all.

MMOs suffer from a single overriding problem these days that is the root of all other problems. Lack of variety. The problem isn't that MMOs have too much grind or too little grind. Everyone has different opinions on that. The issue is that they all have the same grind. The problem isn't that they have too much PvP or too little PvP. Everyone has different opinions on that. The problem is they all of the same PvP. The problem isn't the game is too focused on group play, or too focused on solo play. Everyone has different opinions on that. The problem is that they all have the same solo and group options. The problem isn't that sandboxes are better than themeparks. Everyone has different opinions on that. The problem is that every AAA title is a themepark.

Crowfall, Camelot Unchained, Star Citizen, Life is Feudal etc. are coming out and saying "Let's do something that has never been done as an MMO before."

Some of them may succeed, many will flop. But if these titles can make a big enough dent in the MMO industry then future AAA titles might switch from "How can we improve upon the WoW model?" to "What kind of MMO would resonate with players that has never been done before?"

And that my friend, is the only way you will ever see a good MMO released ever again.
    craftseekercameltosisBrald_Ironheart
  • AshaiaAshaia Member UncommonPosts: 42
    edited June 2017
    Eldurian wrote:
    "...
    And that my friend, is the only way you will ever see a good MMO released ever again."

I do not think that this is the only way to get a good MMO or MMORPG again. There is a high risk that by trying out or implementing new game mechanisms you will fail, as it is NOT what old or actual Players EXPECT or WANT to have for their Vision of a perfect MMORPG based of their past experience in this genre. Developers might or already do loose the Focus of what Players really want and what makes an intensely immersive, competetive game just to present their "new" idea.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    100% Opinion!  IN MY OPINION, there are a few that I'm looking for.  Albion, Crowfall, and yes, in the long range, the much maligned and favorite boogey MMO man, Star Citizen.

I self identify as a monkey.

edited June 2017
    Eldurian said:
    rush1984 said:

It really seems that mmorpgs are dying to me

I havent gone this long without being hyped for one mmorpg or another for so long, seems to me devs aint listening to what long term players and cater to the play 1 month and move on players.

All the games coming up crowfall, camelot unchained to name a couple just seem meh and everquest next well if that actually gets made i cant see it being any good, Its like they have no idea what players want :S

Nope i really think this is it for now, maybe between 2018-2020 some good mmorpgs will get made using oculus rift or something  which might be pretty cool seems like a long time  to wait:(

I want a mmo to keep me interested like wow did back in vannila through to tbc , but that doesnt seem like its possible anymore.

I think games like Crowfall ....
    not a snows ball chance in hell I would play that game regardless of its social massive mmo aspects. that said, with the rapid trends in gaming now moving at lighting fast pace like no other time in history its going to take more than 1 game or 2 games to define or save an entire type of game

also speaking for myself specifically my days of playing any game that is 95% focused on combat are done forever...other than Arma 3. I enjoy the excitement of combat dont get me wrong but I need a more well rounded game play and I have been getting that from my pool of games lately so I dont ever see me going back to a game play that is mostly only combat ever again

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    I am talking about games that are out right now that you can buy and play right now.

MMORPG forum posters tend to ONLY think about games in the future as if talking about gaming only means future games not current games
    Sure .. but Destiny 2 has a definite release date, and it is not too far off. And i doubt it will be like vaporware MMORPGs. I have no problem look forward to games.

If you have to talk about games you can play now .. well Destiny 1, Titanfall 2, Dishonored 2 .. there are plenty of great games. 
    edited June 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Sure .. but Destiny 2 has a definite release date, and it is not too far off. And i doubt it will be like vaporware MMORPGs. I have no problem look forward to games.

If you have to talk about games you can play now .. well Destiny 1, Titanfall 2, Dishonored 2 .. there are plenty of great games. 
    most MMORPG posters to be frank consider unreleased games to be the best and that has been true for years. as soon as its released then they just start looking for something else, its the MO.

The games I am playing are not Destiny, i have moved beyond games in which combat is the nearly the only focus at least as my mainstay game(s)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    SEANMCAD said:
    most MMORPG posters to be frank consider unreleased games to be the best and that has been true for years. as soon as its released then they just start looking for something else, its the MO.

The games I am playing are not Destiny, i have moved beyond games in which combat is the nearly the only focus at least as my mainstay game(s)
    Eeeeh, Ok, you got me there. But it say more about many of the posters here then the genre. The "Why I quit and will go back to Wow" posts are also incredible high here.
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Ashaia said:
    Eldurian wrote:
    "...
    And that my friend, is the only way you will ever see a good MMO released ever again."

I do not think that this is the only way to get a good MMO or MMORPG again. There is a high risk that by trying out or implementing new game mechanisms you will fail, as it is NOT what old or actual Players EXPECT or WANT to have for their Vision of a perfect MMORPG based of their past experience in this genre. Developers might or already do loose the Focus of what Players really want and what makes an intensely immersive, competetive game just to present their "new" idea.

An intensely immersive or competitive game would constitute variety in today's market. There are very few immersive MMOs and very few ones focused around any kind of competition other than who can grind the highest.

WoW clones are very low on the immersion scale and their model really just isn't built for it. It would take quite a bit of tweaking to get them very high on the competitive scale too. So again.

Variety. Something other than what currently exists. That's the only way you will ever see a good MMO released ever again.
    Brald_Ironheart
    Loke666 said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Eeeeh, Ok, you got me there. But it say more about many of the posters here then the genre. The "Why I quit and will go back to Wow" posts are also incredible high here.
    I say most MMORPG posters meaning most posters here I do not think represent the majority of gamers. I didnt mean it to suggest MMORPG as a genre. just to be clear

• Brald_IronheartBrald_Ironheart Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Maybe developers should make a game they would actually enjoy playing themselves.  If the developers of most mmorgps actually want to play the games they make, something is wrong with them.
    Roleplayinn.com - New forum for people who love role-playing of all kinds - tabletop/pencil & paper, live-action, and role-playing in mmorpgs.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

The great thing about games in the future is they don't suck yet....Those of us that have been playing a few years have heard how great games are going t obe all the time and know that most of them ultimately end up stinking.
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

The great thing about games in the future is they don't suck yet....Those of us that have been playing a few years have heard how great games are going t obe all the time and know that most of them ultimately end up stinking.
    i disagree.

I think the games of today (not yesterday or in the future) but of today are the best in the history of gaming. but you have to be willing to look outside the games that are marketed

• ithilmirithilmir Member UncommonPosts: 5
    For current games, I think Elder Scrolls Online and The Secret World (even Legends if you don't mind a bit less mmo feel) are the best bets, and offer something different. Also I really enjoyed Skyforge for a while.

That said, I am more looking forward to the "new wave" of more immersing MMORPGs that will be available in 1-2 years: mainly The Chronicles of Elyria and Ashes of Creation. Even Dark and Light seems like it will be fun, even in the limited mmo scope.

So no, comparing to a few years ago, where it was WoW or nothing, it is much better right now and seems to be getting even better.
    edited June 2017
    ithilmir said:
    For current games, I think Elder Scrolls Online and The Secret World (even Legends if you don't mind a bit less mmo feel) are the best bets, and offer something different. Also I really enjoyed Skyforge for a while.

That said, I am more looking forward to the "new wave" of more immersing MMORPGs that will be available in 1-2 years: mainly The Chronicles of Elyria and Ashes of Creation. Even Dark and Light seems like it will be fun, even in the limited mmo scope.

So no, comparing to a few years ago, where it was WoW or nothing, it is much better right now and seems to be getting even better.
    i cant agree with those games being a leap forward, what is happening in the Single Player early access industry is a leap forward and yes....those game mechanics can be translated to MMO

Dual Universe is an example of a leap forward

• RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    ithilmir said:

I might agree that ESO, and SWL offer their own respective niches for the market, I have much doubt that the other 3 titles mentioned will even launch. 

CoE, and AoC, two games started by guys with ZERO experience. Meanwhile DnL has been on hiatus for 10+ years, and will only allow 50-100 players per server.  Snail will probably end up scrapping it when the other games start launching later this year.  That's my guess. 
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    OP, Are you living under a Rock? ;)

Chronicles of Elyria
    Ashes of Creation
    Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

Avanah said:
    OP, Are you living under a Rock? ;)

Chronicles of Elyria
    Ashes of Creation
    Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

in my opinion Dual Universe is FAR more interesting 

• RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
     Making a good game these days is more about if you are capable of running an ethical company, to get things done right instead of "Minimally Viable."  That's a super simplified nutshell, but frankly many of us have been around long enough to know it's true. 

There are some titles I'm interested in definitely. Excited is a bit tougher to say at this point. I'll be excited when some actual gameplay is released from any of these titles previously mentioned. Gameplay that can be experienced by more than just one character model on a dev screen. 

Then we can open that can of worms called, "Is it fun?"