Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone uneasy about Crowfall?

CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288
Kinda regretting contributing to Crowfall. It looks and feels way too much like GW2. The graphics are also very simplistic, kinda WoW themed which I really dislike. 

Not having a persistent world, its main design theme, may actually be its downfall. No one is going to care about anything that happens in instances. 

Anyone agree or disagree? Why?
GdemamiFlyByKnighttime007jimmywolfShadanwolfFaustina007pantaroIRandom

Comments

• RelampagoRelampago Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Seems fun to me so far.  My expectation is about $25 worth of fun.  It seems like I will get that.
    JamesGoblin
  • francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    [...] It looks and feels way too much like GW2. The graphics are also very simplistic, kinda WoW themed which I really dislike.

They've chosen to go with stylized visuals for Crowfall. Some people like it, others don't.

I think the graphics look great overall, especially for a PvP MMO.

And there's still plenty of room to keep improving the lighting, particles, character models, etc.

Not having a persistent world, its main design theme, may actually be its downfall. No one is going to care about anything that happens in instances. 

The universe is persistent, as well as the Eternal Kingdoms and the players' progression. What will eventually end are the campaigns. I think it's a pretty cool and innovative design, mixing some of the best elements of MMO and strategy games.
    Marcus-KanethJamesGoblinMadFrenchiepaulytheb[Deleted User]
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Not at all.  Looking forward to it.
    JamesGoblin[Deleted User][Deleted User]

I self identify as a monkey.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    This is one that I have high hopes for. 

Looks to be better than most of the others that are coming.

JamesGoblin[Deleted User]
  • HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    I like the game so far, I like what its about the main worry is making the player feel accomplished in these games vs the play feeling meaningless. Both winners and losers of the battles need to feel as if they accomplished something, not necessarily both feel like winners but even the loser should have a want to strive to win even after a loss. That is something that Shadowbane did well, Shadowbane just favored joining the zerg vs the niche groups.
    JamesGoblin

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Hellidol said:
    I like the game so far, I like what its about the main worry is making the player feel accomplished in these games vs the play feeling meaningless. Both winners and losers of the battles need to feel as if they accomplished something, not necessarily both feel like winners but even the loser should have a want to strive to win even after a loss. That is something that Shadowbane did well, Shadowbane just favored joining the zerg vs the niche groups.
    It's going to be an extremely fine balance. If you're too harsh on the losing side, people will gravitate towards larger zergs in an attempt to dominate all. PvP games truly need as even competition as possible.

There other balance the team faces is rewards for longer campaigns vs. shorter campaigns. People will figure out the most efficient way to receive rewards. This could leave certain campaign sizes pretty barren in terms of player base.
    JamesGoblin
  • CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507
    I think the game will have success with a very niche following. As for the areas you seem to have concern about.. Wasn't this information available to you before you put money towards it?

As for my personal opinions. Everything about Crowfall is exactly what I don't look for in an MMORPG.
    JamesGoblin
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    The non-persisent world is the only thing that bothers me a bit because I'm not a fan of "seasons" but I'll keep an open mind.

In other games seasons are how developers are able to make changes to worlds at the end of every cycle so depending on how this game does that will be crucial to keeping season hatin' people like myself.

I like the way the game looks so far(gfx, classes, world) and really don't think it looks anything like GW2 but more like a 3D Albion which is perfect cause I like art style in Albion.
    JamesGoblin
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    When TF did you contribute? When Artcraft announced the forming of the studio?

How the hell weren't you aware of how things would be or look before you invested? How were you not aware of the game direction? These guys have been super transparent almost to a fault.

The entire sell point and manifesto of Crowfall was that the servers/campaigns would reset after a not yet decided duration to avoid long term server free farm and thus player participation drop off.

APRIL 2015

JamesGoblin
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    Too early to tell, which is why I haven't bought into it yet. The graphics to me are totally irrelevant so that is a preference thing. The combat looks kind of meh, but it has shown some improvement. The real question is how interesting can they make these campaigns that supposedly last for weeks or months. Is it going to be like GW2 where people only care the first day of a new match and then basically ignore the next two weeks? We don't know yet. If you already backed the game then you really can't complain too much because they haven't really strayed off the course they set out on when the kickstarter opened. 
    JamesGoblin
  • Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    donger56 said:
    Too early to tell, which is why I haven't bought into it yet. The graphics to me are totally irrelevant so that is a preference thing. The combat looks kind of meh, but it has shown some improvement. The real question is how interesting can they make these campaigns that supposedly last for weeks or months. Is it going to be like GW2 where people only care the first day of a new match and then basically ignore the next two weeks? We don't know yet. If you already backed the game then you really can't complain too much because they haven't really strayed off the course they set out on when the kickstarter opened. 
    Given the import restrictions, the first couple weeks will be about getting people geared, building defenses and storing food for the winter. You won't see anything decided on the first day.

One of the mechanics that have talked about is the bloodstone ruleset.

The win condition is based on accumulating points from bloodstones. You can't even produce bloodstones if you don't have a city/tree, which will take considerable time to build. 
    JamesGoblin
  • farbegefarbege Member UncommonPosts: 305
    The no persistant world is what keeps me being more in this MMO.

Without persisting world its a fake MMORPG. Its instance with a lobby. 
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Out of every game to crowdfund this is probably the least worrisome one in the bunch.....
    MikehaJamesGoblin
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    I have doubts about all Criwdfunded games due to their very nature.  This one I have more confidence than most others that it will actually launch... but no feeling yet for whether it will be a good game.

JamesGoblinCrazKanuk

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288
    farbege said:

Ya back when I supported the kick-starter on day 1, I guess I thought this was going down the more DAoC/Shadowbane route. Crowfall seems much more like GW2 reset/arena instances. Which I very much hated. Anything you did in GW2 was meaningless. 

Having a "persistent" housing area/town doesn't mean it is a MMORPG. I am not blaming the developers for anything, just myself for backing something I really didn't vet properly. I'll of course give it a try when it launches though since I paid for it. 
  • FrykkaFrykka Member UncommonPosts: 154
    edited June 2017
    It is certainly not instanced or arena type play...   the campaign worlds are big and will last longer than you think, long enough for Shadowbane type politics and city building and siege but will end before tings get stale or a big alliance takes over the server.  Mmo's in traditional style get stale servers and open new servers then allow migrations.  Crowfall will simply have servers with end dates, not instances.  This site is so full of wanna be care bears and untalented fools drooling over silly eye candy it makes real gamers vomit to hear you guys.  Crowfall will be super fun for those with any skill and a good group of PvP friends.
    JamesGoblin[Deleted User]postlarval
  • CorileannaCorileanna Member UncommonPosts: 94
    Why, looks really cool, just a little slow, still in alpha I think, but way more unique than most kickstarter project ideas and all.
    JamesGoblin
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    farbege said:

Ya back when I supported the kick-starter on day 1, I guess I thought this was going down the more DAoC/Shadowbane route. Crowfall seems much more like GW2 reset/arena instances. Which I very much hated. Anything you did in GW2 was meaningless. 

Having a "persistent" housing area/town doesn't mean it is a MMORPG. I am not blaming the developers for anything, just myself for backing something I really didn't vet properly. I'll of course give it a try when it launches though since I paid for it. 

Yeah cause all those games where one faction rules with an iron fist is SO much fun lol
    JamesGoblin
    I just watched this video:

My lord that looks terrible. An almost exact carbon copy of GW2. Just a bunch of people running around you can barely see spamming crap like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off. No skill or strategy. Just a zerg war of attrition. 
    time007
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    edited June 2017
    I just watched this video:

My lord that looks terrible. An almost exact carbon copy of GW2. Just a bunch of people running around you can barely see spamming crap like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off. No skill or strategy. Just a zerg war of attrition. 
    yup, thats definitely more GW2 and zero percent DAOC.  ugh i was hoping this would be something new what with the wall to wall f'ing coverage this POS got for the past 3 years on this f'ing site.  

And to the fanbois of this game, I think this will do just about as good as Tera.  which in itself was a Hindenburg.  
    Post edited by time007 on

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    Nyctelios said:
    I could be wrong, but since I started following this project (here, by posts and comments) I knew what it was - and it seems like you did not.
    agree with this. how did you not know what the graphics theme would be like? 
    Also I really like to idea of the seasons and what not. The funnest part of any MMO for me is first few months of racing towards progression, getting the lead, or the random battles of noob spawns. I have been following this game, and have several friends who play the alpha daily, and of all the kick starter, early access games, this one to me is the only game that I feel will complete and have a solid launch. 
    JamesGoblin
    I am still trying to figure out how Crowfall PvP is any different than GW2 PvP. They seem identical. 
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Frykka said:
    It is certainly not instanced or arena type play...   the campaign worlds are big and will last longer than you think, long enough for Shadowbane type politics and city building and siege but will end before tings get stale or a big alliance takes over the server.  Mmo's in traditional style get stale servers and open new servers then allow migrations.  Crowfall will simply have servers with end dates, not instances.  This site is so full of wanna be care bears and untalented fools drooling over silly eye candy it makes real gamers vomit to hear you guys.  Crowfall will be super fun for those with any skill and a good group of PvP friends.
    It would probably be in the best interest of the game you like to not insult potential buyers willing to give it a shot.
    postlarval
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Kinda regretting contributing to Crowfall. It looks and feels way too much like GW2. The graphics are also very simplistic, kinda WoW themed which I really dislike. 

You wrote what I would have said,if I were to list reasons why I'm not interested in the game.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Honestly I've been thinking Crow-Fall is going to be a let-down for awhile I was hoping the game would be great but after backing the game I am uncertain how good its going to be developed, currently it looks just like Dauntless a small game that is being made by another game company, and Ashes OF Creation looks like 100x more promising.

I am not sure though development isn't done on Crow Fall, but I hope its a good game after backing over $500 into it.