Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Desert Online now has over 28K players on STEAM

Comments

• CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    This is a completely meaningless statistic.  BDO was $6.00 on Steam.  In other words, a no-brainer.  People threw chicken feed at the devs and are now trying the game.  How many of the cheap buyers will stick remains to be seen.  That's all.  And using Steam as a gauge of how popular games are that have other launch platforms is silly.  Steam users comparison is only valid for games that have only launched on Steam.

But if this is your only way of touting your game, go ahead.  It doesn't convince people BDO is a good game.  All it does is convince them that BDO is cheap on Steam.   
    MrMelGibson
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Cazriel said:
    This is a completely meaningless statistic.  BDO was $6.00 on Steam.  In other words, a no-brainer.  People threw chicken feed at the devs and are now trying the game.  How many of the cheap buyers will stick remains to be seen.  That's all.  And using Steam as a gauge of how popular games are that have other launch platforms is silly.  Steam users comparison is only valid for games that have only launched on Steam.

But if this is your only way of touting your game, go ahead.  It doesn't convince people BDO is a good game.  All it does is convince them that BDO is cheap on Steam.   

Your right. 

It's amazing how the population is backwards on this subject about sales. 

People buying something is first hand, they don't know if it's good yet !

• rena_ryugurena_ryugu Member UncommonPosts: 34
    edited June 2017
    Cazriel said:

I see steam as a "plus", the game was going strong from day 1, and more than 1 year AFTER the release this is how the game look like:

(this is BEFORE steam release)

weekend:
    http://i.imgur.com/uDEGk5X.jpg

I play on eu from beta 1, and i found this discussion casually

• krgwynnekrgwynne Member UncommonPosts: 119
    edited June 2017
    This game has improved alot since release and is fun to play but if you do not like grinding for xp and silver for gear then i would look for a game like wow were stuff is given to you. RNG in this game is a killer in this game but if it wasn't then everyone would be maxed geared with no effort so its good and bad in some ways. PVP  is good and usually meaningful whether its fighting over  A prime grinding spot to nod wars were you guild makes decent cash which 30 present of can be paid to guild members. untill you get decent gear lvl and lvl 58+ dont plan on being any use in pvp but there are towers to man and other stuff for lower lvls. Main thing is dont expect to play for a month or 2 and be top you might reach lvl 58 and have mediocre gear by then. Musts are buy 3 pets and weight and inventory space from cash shop or its not really fun.
    Post edited by krgwynne on
    KyleranExin
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    2 weeks later and about the same player numbers. Impressed that it managed to keep players around and at the same time depressed because PvE is a singleplayer grinder.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Shaigh said:
    2 weeks later and about the same player numbers. Impressed that it managed to keep players around and at the same time depressed because PvE is a singleplayer grinder.

This doesn't impress me, lots of people with little money and will play a $5 game. 

I played around with the idea of playing it myself ( hay, only $5 ).  But at the end of the day, I thought my time is worth something too.

I'll not waste it on an Asian-cash-grab-hack-and-slash.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

I played around with the idea of playing it myself ( hay, only $5 ).  But at the end of the day, I thought my time is worth something too.

Come now, no one actually believes that for even five seconds. ;)

You have better things to do. Like warn us about Asian-cash-grab-hack-and-slash games.
    DakeruCaffynatedMikehaMrMelGibsonKyleranHatefull

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• rena_ryugurena_ryugu Member UncommonPosts: 34
    What should have happen after 1 month????? we are actually hitting 23k players now
    Mikeha
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited June 2017
    Yeah BDO is all-time peaking at 23k now, it's clearly doing fine on Steam as this happens 1 month after the release.

If BDO catches up with proper improvements in its PvE and content expansions they will be able to keep people playing and maintain this trend.
    Mikeha
    MaxBacon said:
    Yeah BDO is all-time peaking at 23k now, it's clearly doing fine on Steam as this happens 1 month after the release.

If BDO catches up with proper improvements in its PvE and content expansions they will be able to keep people playing and maintain this trend.
    It really shows in game too with how packed the channels are. Definitely agreed on the PvE part as well. Hopefully that instanced content they're adding to KR soon will catch on and lead to more.
    Mikeha

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited June 2017
    Black Desert just broke its All Time Peak Record.  :) 

More players on STEAM right now playing Black Desert than Final Fantasy XIV or Elder Scrolls Online. 

PhryAzaron_NightbladeKyleran
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Recore said:
    Black Desert just broke its All Time Peak Record.  :) 

More players on STEAM right now playing Black Desert than Final Fantasy XIV or Elder Scrolls Online. 

Not surprised, when i logged into the game earlier, there were as many Overrun channels as there were Crowded, i think we can safely say that the game is doing fine ;)
    MikehaAzaron_NightbladeHatefullKyleranMrMelGibson
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited June 2017
    Its good to see new people buying the game and keeping it profitable. They wont see a single penny from my wallet unless they let me play on the same server with the rest of the American continent and the caribbean where all my real life gamer friends live.

• GavyneGavyne Member UncommonPosts: 116
    BDO is a great game for people who haven't played it before.  I'd recommend it to anybody to try it at least once.  However people don't really leave until they get later into BDO levels where things become a bit too RNG, too grindy, and too luck based.  Even buying things on the auction house is luck based.

People new to the game won't notice these things, but they start to later on when gearing becomes a problem.  Per BDO's own 1 year anniversary census, only 5% of the entire population ever made it past lvl 56+.  So while tons of people played the game and are playing the game, it's really the later levels when you see people get more frustrated and leave.

So the high player count on Steam for BDO isn't surprising since it's new.  You'll have to revisit this later when more people make it past lvl 50.

Played: EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-LOTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO-BDO
    Waiting For: CU & Vanilla WoW

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited June 2017
    More players on steam, well glad to know there are 24k players with a Rootkit installed on their systems, sadly they won't be seeing anymore money from me and although it might have 24k players on steam besides the few who decided to not purchase the game, its likely that once Crow Fall, or Ashes OF Creation come out if they are developed properly will lose a lot of players.

Black Desert in general has some good graphics and good character customization aspects as well as being fair charging for unlimited character customization pass but its down-side...

. Having to pay for inventory slots, and not unlock per whole account if I remember correctly
    . Costumes don't unlock per account
    . Having to replace cooking stations in house constantly.
    . Very limited housing customization basically you choose from an instanced house
    . Having Classes instead of one character can level up and switch between classes like "Skyforge" "Dark Fall" "FFXIV" "TSW"

. Game gets repetitive, with (Timed Quests) Having to run within 1 week or it expires rather than stacking, and scrolls that eat up inventory space old fashion.

. The Grind is okay for awhile but gets super boring doing the same thing for the same purpose to upgrade equipment.

. The whole worker concept of the game rather than having a game like "Arche Age" with Farming, and ability to put mines on your own land and such does remove a big aspect of the game.

If newer games are made better with better design choices I can see both BDO, and Albion losing a huge amount of its player base after launch, for Albion, and later during the years.

And as much as I have disliked FFXIV, I still have to say its a better game than Black Desert Online with the crafting system aspects and such.

ScorchienKyleranMrMelGibson
    DMKano said:
    It's doing great.

What has a lot to do with this is the steam sale:

Also many other MMOs on Steam can be played without steam via their own launchers  - BDO cannot - if you bought BDO from steam - you MUST launch it via steam.

This is also a reason why steam BDO numbers are higher, as with most other ones, you can get them through steam, but then just use the game's launcher to bypass double login (steam, game launcher).

What? BDO was 50% off when it launched there, it's current promo is 20%... I'm not sure how this sale would reason the peak and not when it was half price. --'
    Mikeha
    MaxBacon said:
    DMKano said:
    It's doing great.

What has a lot to do with this is the steam sale:

Also many other MMOs on Steam can be played without steam via their own launchers  - BDO cannot - if you bought BDO from steam - you MUST launch it via steam.

This is also a reason why steam BDO numbers are higher, as with most other ones, you can get them through steam, but then just use the game's launcher to bypass double login (steam, game launcher).

What? BDO was 50% off when it launched there, it's current promo is 20%... I'm not sure how this sale would reason the peak and not when it was half price. --'
    Because it's DMKano. Whenever a "BDO is doing well" thread gets posted he'll show up to either say "Doesn't count. There was a new class released recently." or "Doesn't count. It's been on discount recently!"

Just like Delete5230 will come spout something about how he might be interested if it wasn't a blah blah blah Asian trash blah blah blah needs more forced grouping comment, and Renoaku will post "But OMG guys, rootkits! XingCode and Denuvo are the devil's work!!!" :D
    MikehalaxieHatefullrojoArcueidKyleranMrMelGibson

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Cazriel said:

Actually, you make a good argument against yourself. Only using Steam numbers disregards all other platforms and it is a good possibility that those numbers added to the Steam numbers would increase their appeal.

But yeah it is cheap and it isn't a bad game, I picked it up and will most likely play it until something I find more appealing comes out.

What, in your opinion, makes it a bad game?

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Because it's DMKano. Whenever a "BDO is doing well" thread gets posted he'll show up to either say "Doesn't count. There was a new class released recently." or "Doesn't count. It's been on discount recently!"

Just like Delete5230 will come spout something about how he might be interested if it wasn't a blah blah blah Asian trash blah blah blah needs more forced grouping comment, and Renoaku will post "But OMG guys, rootkits! XingCode and Denuvo are the devil's work!!!" :D
    I genuinely love the people of MMORPG. It's like walking past the one Irish bar we all know, seeing the same group of old men by the entrance, with a pint in one hand a cigarette in the other.

I love it!
    Azaron_NightbladeKyleranCazrielMrMelGibsonMadFrenchie
    laxie said:

I genuinely love the people of MMORPG. It's like walking past the one Irish bar we all know, seeing the same group of old men by the entrance, with a pint in one hand a cigarette in the other.

I love it!
    Haha, yeah. That is a very apt comparison lol

• CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    Hatefull said:
    Cazriel said:

Actually, you make a good argument against yourself. Only using Steam numbers disregards all other platforms and it is a good possibility that those numbers added to the Steam numbers would increase their appeal.

But yeah it is cheap and it isn't a bad game, I picked it up and will most likely play it until something I find more appealing comes out.

What, in your opinion, makes it a bad game?

Whoa.  Didn't actually say it was a bad game.  Just said that hyping play numbers isn't going to convince people that it is a good game. And I probably should have added "if they don't like it." But I know that for a certain segment of gamers playing a popular game is extremely important, doesn't matter how trashy the game is or whether they actually enjoy it.  It's all about playing a popular game.  This is why for so many years there were food fights across the MMO universe over WoW sub numbers.  And likely the intention of this thread.  See?  People are playing!   That proves it's a good game!  

Some people will always look at numbers to validate their opinions and determine their likes and dislikes.  And others will let their own experiences guide them.

My opinion of the game was that it was not different, exciting or interesting enough that I should make time to play it instead of one of the other MMOs I am currently playing.  But I did buy it for $6 and will probably give it another shot one day.  Eventually.     
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Recore said:
    And I'm RIP trying to visit main cities without loading too many players, they're everywhere :|
    Seriously is this back?
    Whelp, when the game implemented the cash shop stuffs several people around here savagely defended that with so many people leaving the game, BDO would just crash and burn.

The moment BDO as it shows, is doing fine, is showing a growing trend is severely grinding with the dramatization made about BDO and its player base health.

I remember seeing all the drama "it's dead! it's dead!" before buying, now that I did and played it's clear of all issues I see BDO has, the population is not one of them.
  • AreWeLiveAreWeLive Member UncommonPosts: 201
    edited June 2017
    wish i could have my BDO on steam, only option is the add game but its just not the same doing it that way...
     This is a great game as long as you do not play it like a traditional theme park,, it is a sandbox after all, try not be in a hurry to level grind, enjoy the game and all it has to offer.

Don't get caught up on what others are doing, do your own thing and form your own opinions...
    Azaron_Nightblade