Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Former Asheron's Call player looking for an MMORPG that is similar to Asheron's Call

akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615
As the title says I am a former Asheron's Call player looking for an MMORPG that is similar to what Asheron's Call was. I played Asheron's Call from launch until it was shut down and now I am missing it more than ever. I loved that the game was simple and no one had to worry about talent trees or dps rotations. Just pick the skills you want to play with and have fun.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited May 2017
    Project Gorgon .. there is also an AC guild there made up of(majority) guys from the shutdown

https://projectgorgon.com/

http://wiki.projectgorgon.com/wiki/Main_Page     scroll down a bit and you can see list of skills currenlty in game

really great game , i will add:)
    [Deleted User][Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Thank you Scorchien

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• FinvegaFinvega Member RarePosts: 260
    Good luck... I have played most of the available mmorpg games and I have found nothing that resembles the freedom of AC. 
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Project Gorgon has no skill caps, right?  A character can max everything at the same time at once?
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    I concur. Project Gorgon is the closest to an inspirational sequel of AC as we will likely ever see. 

You stay sassy!

• IkisisIkisis Member UncommonPosts: 443
    Darkfall Rise of Agon is the only option close on the market
    Gdemamimaybebaked

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    edited June 2017
    Ikisis said:
    Darkfall Rise of Agon is the only option close on the market
    Although only for one AC server: Darktide. One should note that AC had several pve servers and only one pvp server.

Certainly Darkfall is Darktide taken to the pvp extreme. PG is for those wanting the pve side of AC.

Still to be seen if PG will offer any AC-like pvp however as it isn't their focus and the devs have said it never will be. However, that is entirely how AC was when developed. Pvp in AC was a side affect of making a fun pve world and the simplicity of it's skill system. It wasn't a planned focus whereas, Darkfall was built from the ground up as an open world pvp game.
    [Deleted User]

You stay sassy!

• GavyneGavyne Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Black Desert Online is the game you want if you want to recapture that Asheron's Call feeling.  I've played a lot of MMO's, only BDO made me say truly get that AC1 feel.  From action combat, to endless lifeskill crafting professions, to long traveling and a lack of zoning screens, BDO feels like a modernized Asheron's Call with better graphics (one of the best on the market today), and a fairly decent game engine.

Only when playing BDO, I find myself saying...
    "hey this is like AC with changing seasons",
    "hey I love how I can scale hills and walls without being blocked by artificial invisible walls",
    "I love how I could just enter a home and voila I'm inside my house without zoning or waiting",
    "this long traveling feels just like AC without instant teleports everywhere (expect to ride horses and boats to get to places)",
    "people FFA PvP on hunting grounds, that feels very AC1: Darktide-like",
    "tons of crafting options, you can break your items when upgrading, very AC1 like",

To be honest I think whoever made BDO used to play Asheron's Call.  Because some things in BDO have got to be inspired from AC because I don't see it utilized elsewhere.  If you're an ex-AC player looking for a new home, definitely give BDO a try.
    ScorchienGdemamiHawkaya399

Played: EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-LOTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO-BDO
    Waiting For: CU & Vanilla WoW

• LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 647
    Gavyne said:
    Black Desert Online is the game you want if you want to recapture that Asheron's Call feeling.  I've played a lot of MMO's, only BDO made me say truly get that AC1 feel.  From action combat, to endless lifeskill crafting professions, to long traveling and a lack of zoning screens, BDO feels like a modernized Asheron's Call with better graphics (one of the best on the market today), and a fairly decent game engine.

Only when playing BDO, I find myself saying...
    "hey this is like AC with changing seasons",
    "hey I love how I can scale hills and walls without being blocked by artificial invisible walls",
    "I love how I could just enter a home and voila I'm inside my house without zoning or waiting",
    "this long traveling feels just like AC without instant teleports everywhere (expect to ride horses and boats to get to places)",
    "people FFA PvP on hunting grounds, that feels very AC1: Darktide-like",
    "tons of crafting options, you can break your items when upgrading, very AC1 like",

To be honest I think whoever made BDO used to play Asheron's Call.  Because some things in BDO have got to be inspired from AC because I don't see it utilized elsewhere.  If you're an ex-AC player looking for a new home, definitely give BDO a try.
    BDO also has the negative side of AC taken to the extreme - a dead world. NPCs are pretty much the only interaction you'll have in that game. 90% of the people you see won't do, say or respond to anything. They are either obliviously chatting on their private discord servers, or afk macroing their characters to death.

It really has to be the most lifeless excuse for an MMO I have ever experienced. I even paid for the game but still won't play it, if that tells you anything.
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    darkfall was heavily inspired by AC

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA