Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Officially overwhelmed

13»

Comments

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    I am making an indie MMO in Unity. I am in no way an expert, with limited resources and a fairly casual approach to it all. I have the very barebones working, with some basic harvesting/crafting/trading.

After posting a few YouTube videos of my project, I have been getting regular e-mails from "indie MMO developers". They are from teams who are advertising MMOs, building communities, but they are asking me how to connect a client to a server in Unity. They struggle to even make a chat lobby.

My point is: There are a lot of crappy MMOs coming. I love the fact that anyone can make their own game easily these days, but I fear for the market if it gets swamped with unfinished products. I have the decency of not selling my game when I know it lacks features. But if people are happy to sell stuff that can't even send a chat message, we are in for a wild ride. Combine this with Steam Direct and it's a recipe for disaster.

On a brighter note, I think the accessibility of cloud computing will do wonders for AI in the near future. It's probably not far fetched to expect highly complex simulations, capable of creating NPCs that are nearly as complex as a human being. It should soon be common place to see this detail of AI, in mass numbers.
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Kyleran said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    6 years ago I was very frustrated and bored with video games lack of depth and lack of variety. Now I am officially overwhelmed with depth, variety and quantity (and yes quality).

*snip*

Content like that (my asset example) in a game 6 years ago would have been a major game changer to the industry and would have opened up many gamers eyes (such as myself) as to what can truely happen in a video game. Now, 6 years later, its an asset pack for pretty much anyone to use.

We are now at a point in video games (in my believe) where we have too MUCH good, deep  and compelling content and for a developer to be innovative we now have to step outside of the standard 'survial building, fly to other planets' model but where do you go when your game is basically a simulator of everything? where you do go when there are 20 games that are a simulation of everything? I dont know, maybe its not a simulation of everything, if not what is missing?
    I think your problem isn't with games or MMO's being perfect, but simulations in general. I think you're discovering you don't like them and you thought you did. It's always a surprise when our internal model of ourselves conflicts with actual reality.
    I think you must have massively misread what i said.

I think games right now are the best they have ever been in human history. maybe I am not following you
    See, I'm not the only person who has trouble understanding what points you are trying to make.  ;)

You would think after the 1000th time he tells us how we've misunderstood him, he might...just might...look to himself as the source of the issue, but nope...
    cameltosis

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Kyleran said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    6 years ago I was very frustrated and bored with video games lack of depth and lack of variety. Now I am officially overwhelmed with depth, variety and quantity (and yes quality).

*snip*

Content like that (my asset example) in a game 6 years ago would have been a major game changer to the industry and would have opened up many gamers eyes (such as myself) as to what can truely happen in a video game. Now, 6 years later, its an asset pack for pretty much anyone to use.

We are now at a point in video games (in my believe) where we have too MUCH good, deep  and compelling content and for a developer to be innovative we now have to step outside of the standard 'survial building, fly to other planets' model but where do you go when your game is basically a simulator of everything? where you do go when there are 20 games that are a simulation of everything? I dont know, maybe its not a simulation of everything, if not what is missing?
    I think your problem isn't with games or MMO's being perfect, but simulations in general. I think you're discovering you don't like them and you thought you did. It's always a surprise when our internal model of ourselves conflicts with actual reality.

I think games right now are the best they have ever been in human history. maybe I am not following you
    See, I'm not the only person who has trouble understanding what points you are trying to make.  ;)

You would think after the 1000th time he tells us how we've misunderstood him, he might...just might...look to himself as the source of the issue, but nope...

You might be expecting too much!
    Grunty
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    I think there is a lot of room for adaptation and innovation within the gaming industry still. While some single player games have become very broad in scope narrowing in scope to do something that hasn't been done before is a form of innovation, or simply allowing things that others have failed to implement into their games.

Think of when Assasin's Creed (The very first one) came out. Up until that point platformer games had played very differently. For instance compare Assasin's Creed to Super Mario 64. Both games primarily revolve around overcoming obstacles but they do so with very different approaches. Add in the stealth and combat elements and you are left with a very different game.

Like movie plots it does get a harder to do an original game concept the more games that exist, but like movie plots there is still always room to do something original until every possible story has been told.

In the MMO sphere there is nowhere to go but up. Innovation is a concept foreign to most MMO designers and there has been little of it in this industry.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Kyleran said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

*snip*

When your opponent starts getting to close to hitting the target you move the target.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    @postlarval

When the majority of people posting briefly skim the OP without comprehending it and then slap down a response there is bound to be misunderstandings no matter how well you articulate your position. His OP makes perfect sense to me at least.