Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Problem: Gear is the goal (Official Forum)

13»

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,768
    Why do people think gear is a problem? If it's not gear, it's skills, or vanity items. I don't care what it is.....if you are going to play an MMO for any length of time, you are going to have to grind something. What does it matter that it's gear?

True.  I bet they upgraded the gear their character initially started with but replaced it.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 4,343

I always liked Diablo's gear stat system.
    I like the idea of some randomization, however browsing through endless heaps of gear, again and again after every single battle, in order to find that one item thats good, thats just too much for my taste.

Through the years I've come to understand probably 50% of players don't like what they term gear "grind". They also usually don't like inventory management.
    Indeed those things can be rather dull.

A certain amount of grinding is OK. Thats when the quality of your combat system is important. In Vanguard, battle was very enjoyable to me because there was so much to do and so much to think about. Additional challenges such as having to find the right mobs etc can also be enjoyable to have for a while.

However, having to kill the same mob over and over for days or keeping wiping on Akande (in Vanguard) for weeks - not fun, even with a good combat system. You cant make them THAT interesting.

Still wished how one was supposed to kill Akande. The devs claimed it would be easy. Sigh.

Inventory management is also no fun. Basically I dont want to bother.

Wizardry said:
    Gear or items is a RESULT of our progression,it is not "the" progression.
    I fail to see the importance of such a distinction.

ste2000 said:
    He never said that the Gear should not be the focus, but that it shouldn't be the "main" focus, big difference.

Any kind of progression ends at one point or another. To finish the gear progression, one typically needs all other progressions, such as skills and levels, maxed and you need being able to really play your character at high efficiency, in a coordinated strategy with others, in order to kill a raid boss.

So in order to finish the gear progression, most likely it will be the last of the progressions finished, ignoring that certain raid bosses might also give you certain skills - at least in Vanguard they did.

That doesnt mean the other progressions are not important, too.

Please set a sig so I can read your posting even if somebody "agreed" etc with it. Thanks.
  • JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 877
    I'm mainly interested in the progeny system so I can reroll and get stronger that way.   No interest in chances at loot in raids followed by boring downtime waiting for next time.