Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Secret World Legends - Review in Progress #1 - Approachable & Engaging - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageSecret World Legends - Review in Progress #1 - Approachable & Engaging - MMORPG.com

There has been a deluge of MMO releases these past few weeks. And yet, the one I didn't expect to get completely sucked into has been tying up all my free gaming time since Funcom let press in the doors early this week - Secret World Legends is a blast. In many ways, SWL is the The Secret World you know and love. But in all the best ways, it's also a more approachable and highly more engaging affair thanks to a revamped combat and progression system.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,068
    Good review Bill. I'm currently waiting for head-start to begin and i'm overflowing with excitement, so i'm hoping some exposure to this under-rated gem gets the audience it deserved from the start- but lacked the combat polish back then to really hold on to it's community.
    MrMelGibson

Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Elidien said:

Any revamp of the questing system? I love the quests themselves just not the system of getting and holding them. One of the things I hated was the whole "you could only have X quests max", 1 of this or 1 of that. I like to grab as many quests as I can see and work on them, not limit myself to 1-2 at a time.

That's pretty much still the same.
    [Deleted User]onelesslightMrMelGibson

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,818
    edited June 2017
    The combat system was a button mash that reminded me of the Fighter genre, good to see they wised up and changed it. The Monetization is bad, but then when is it not bad? And as we all know it starts in a better place than it will be in six months time.

TSW was always a solid MMO, still in my all time top ten and no doubt more importantly we are still able to play it.

Pindelfix
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    edited June 2017
    That perfectly sums up my beta experience with the game too, so I very much agree, Bill. :D

As for the skills that are gone... they were just there for the "illusion of choice", which is a bad thing for a game to do in the long run. So good riddance indeed.
    LucienReneBillMurphyXingbairongMrMelGibsonHarikenpsychosiz1mgilbrtsn

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    Waiting to patch to the live version now.
  • DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556
    You could pay to buy AP/SP in The Secret World as well and there isn't wasn't really necessary because you could farm it pretty easily... but if they've adjusted the AP/SP gain at max level then it might be more valuable.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122
    Trying to download the game from their site, but the patcher isn't working yet. Does anyone know if the download is available yet? I'd like to get it installed before it goes live if possible.
  • ZibooZiboo Member UncommonPosts: 158
    We're not fighting with a ladies purse >>Fighting is now entirely reticule-based<< Reticle.<br />
    There are definite some quality of life improvements, but many of the changes (still under NDA most of us, right?) are unnecessary.

Missions are basically the same, just routed differently. People that found TSW to difficult will like the changes.

BillMurphy

Proud member of Hammerfist Clan Gaming Community.

Currently playing: RIFT, EQ2, WoW, LoTRO
    Retired: Warhammer, AoC, EQ
    Waiting: SWToR & GW2

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    I have to be honest, I am actually excited about this game.
    I really hope Funcon didn't fuck this up.
    But from what I read from the review I have a good feeling this could be 2017 dark horse.

I like they got rid of most Skills, it was way too confusing.
    I can't wait to try the new Combat System.
    Though I am not so sure about being able to buy AP and SP on the CS, need to test it myself before I can come up with a conclusion.

Azaron_NightbladeMrMelGibsonpsychosiz1

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    ste2000 said:

Though I am not so sure about being able to buy AP and SP on the CS, need to test it myself before I can come up with a conclusion.

In all fairness, even if that turns out to be in there... what does it really matter?
    It's not a PvP game. This will pretty much affect us as much as someone cheating on a single player game to make it easy on themselves.

I wouldn't buy it, since I actually like playing the game, but if someone wants to throw money at that I pretty much couldn't care less.
    ExcessionQSatu[Deleted User]ste2000Gobstopper3DMrMelGibsonConstantineMerusJDis25

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Ziboo said:

There are definite some quality of life improvements, but many of the changes (still under NDA most of us, right?) are unnecessary.

Twitter: As of today, the closed beta NDA is no longer in effect! Pre-loading on the SWL launcher is back online.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
    Harbinger of Fools
  • Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388

ste2000 said:

In all fairness, even if that turns out to be in there... what does it really matter?
    It's not a PvP game. This will pretty much affect us as much as someone cheating on a single player game to make it easy on themselves.

I wouldn't buy it, since I actually like playing the game, but if someone wants to throw money at that I pretty much couldn't care less.

Buying AP/SP would allow you to put together an optimized set of abilities/passives faster but the actual power behind that build comes from character/gear level.

At low levels it might make a difference but mid levels it'd be barely noticeable and nonexistent at max level.

The biggest impact is going to be for people that want to be able to switch between roles (I.E. tank/heals/dps). It would save them some grind.
    Octagon7711[Deleted User]ConstantineMerusAzaron_Nightbladepsychosiz1
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Yeah i can't wait to try this again. My last character got to Transylvania. I have always liked the modern game world. No elves was i big thing for me. Can't wait to hit swinging London again.
    MrMelGibson
  • RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Honestly i like the overall change of feel of the game, but it feels more handholdy again. Overall i like the changes. I also didnt take the beta out of Blue Mountian, so im not sure what Egypt is like yet.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibsonpsychosiz1

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

Two bits of news:

Headstart has been delayed til 16:00 EDT today

The closed beta NDA has been lifted

https://twitter.com/SecretWorldLgds
    MrMelGibson
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited June 2017
    This will be good once Stormblood bores me in about a month and hopefully last until 4.1 is released.
  • dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362
    edited June 2017
    Elidien said:
    Any revamp of the questing system? I love the quests themselves just not the system of getting and holding them. One of the things I hated was the whole "you could only have X quests max", 1 of this or 1 of that. I like to grab as many quests as I can see and work on them, not limit myself to 1-2 at a time.
    One minor change to that: Investigation main missions have their own slot now so if you get stumped on one you can leave it open while going off and doing an Action / Sabotage mission.

I only played through Kingsmouth in the beta, but quest flow if anything seems to have been made more of a mess there, with a number of the item missions that previously served to take you from the end of one main mission to the start of the next having been moved.
  • ZibooZiboo Member UncommonPosts: 158

Dakeru said:

Ziboo said:

Twitter: As of today, the closed beta NDA is no longer in effect! Pre-loading on the SWL launcher is back online.

aware of that now, it was still in place when I responded.

Proud member of Hammerfist Clan Gaming Community.

Currently playing: RIFT, EQ2, WoW, LoTRO
    Retired: Warhammer, AoC, EQ
    Waiting: SWToR & GW2

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited June 2017
    So, it's the same game... but worse, but better just because it was repackaged as a new game. Got it. =\

"You know what this game needs? LEVELS!" -Said no one ever
    "This game is awesome because it holds your hand through quests. Figure stuff out would totally ruin it" -Said no one ever
    "Instead of giving useless skills a purpose they should short cut and just remove em. Variety is dumb" -Said no one ever
    "The early dungeons are too hard, they should make them so easy 3 people can do em. No tanks or heals." -Said no one ever
    NebilimAzaron_NightbladeStellaBellaGobstopper3D
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    edited June 2017

So, it's the same game... but worse, but better just because it was repackaged as a new game. Got it. =\

"This game is awesome because it holds your hand through quests. Figure stuff out would totally ruin it" -Said no one ever
    "Instead of giving useless skills a purpose they should short cut and just remove em. Variety is dumb" -Said no one ever
    "The early dungeons are too hard, they should make them so easy 3 people can do em. No tanks or heals." -Said no one ever

"The game before these changes was a blockbuster success" said no one ever.
    Excessionste2000HarikenAzaron_NightbladeJDis25Nyghthowlerkb4blualivenGobstopper3DTheelyand 2 others.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    edited June 2017

I'm actually glad we are getting levels.  It makes the flow of the game better and for those new to this game or mmos in general it will help them know when they should move to the next area.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this.  I guess i'll have to see myself in game if what you say is true.

Variety is dumb if most of the skills are redundant or completely useless if you follow a guide for the best abilities for your deck/class.  I'd rather have less skills that are meaningful and different.  Rather than have 100+ skills where you might use 15-20 of them.

The first dungeon of the game shouldn't be so hard that most can't complete it.  That's what hardmode is for at end game.  This will be a benefit to the game and not a flaw.  If you don't believe me, look at how Wildstar did with their super hard early level dungeons that few cleared and almost impossible to kill with a pug.  Healing and tanking is still there.  It just isn't mandatory till endgame.  Reminds me of uprisings in SWTOR.  They are a lot of fun and you don't have to wait forever for a tank or healer to join just to clear a quick dungeon.  Thats what the hardmode dungeons and raids are for.

Sorry man, but I really don't think you speak for the majority.

• mysticmousemysticmouse Member UncommonPosts: 146
    I am looking forward to this relaunch and hope the changes made turn out to be great.
    MrMelGibsonpsychosiz1
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003

Siris23 said:

"The game before these changes was a blockbuster success" said no one ever.

And now it's even less of a non-blockbuster.

I'm actually looking forward to the "this game sucks" posts that should start in about...oh....7 days.
    MrMelGibsonNebilimRicardo58

• kjohiokjohio Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Great review Bill. I will give it a try.
    MrMelGibson
  • DiggsworthDiggsworth Member UncommonPosts: 8
    The change in combat was a bit jarring at first, but holy hell am I having a great time.
    Chaos/Fist is even more fun than it used to be, can't wait to bring the hurt back to Fusang.
    psychosiz1