Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SotA complex food system...WTF

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
Guys, guys, I can't make this stuff up.  In the most recent SotA Reddit developer Q&A session, Lord British confirmed that they are considering putting a complex food system into the game.  So for FUN, you'd get to micro-manage what foods and how much your character eats.  Holy SHIT, are these guys in tune with that makes an MMO fun to play or what??  I mean, when I used to play EQ, my favorite part of the game was always closely monitoring my salt intake.             

[–]BrowncoatJayson 7 points8 points9 points 2 days ago (5 children)

Richard, one of your pet projects was the creation of a complex food system where calories, fat, and salt would affect dex, str and int differently. How do you feel that the current system illustrates this, and how much tweaking do you intend to make to this going forward?

[–]RichardGarriottSotA Developer[S] 7 points8 points9 points 2 days ago (0 children)

BrowncoatJayson, You are corect, food/cooking/ingredient types are ner and dear to my heart. They have also been among the slowest being addressed. But of late it has been getting some love. Still its fairly early in its "history", so I would expect a fair bit of tweaking. Especially when we get the "alcohol" brewing/distilling and such in. - Richard 

[–]BrowncoatJayson 4 points5 points6 points 2 days ago (3 children)

Another feature of your food system was that food would "naturally" be limited by how much you could eat before becoming sick, and potions would likewise be "naturally" limited because they would have alcoholic bases. Without these limits, it has become common to double up on food and imbibe 8 or more potions before taking on high-level challenges. Do you still plan to include these limits in the future?

[–]RichardGarriottSotA Developer[S] 5 points6 points7 points 2 days ago (2 children)

The original plan was "throw up" when over consuming. We do limit various categories individually, food, buffs, etc. But most of the team was not keen on the throw up, when full. Future tweaks should be expected. Feedback still welcome!

[–]ElvisNixon 2 points3 points4 points 2 days ago (0 children)

Throw up after overeating is a fun concept! Maybe add the over encumbrance style movement penalty for some over eating first and have puking trigger a longer penalty like you turn a bit green and can't eat again for 2 hours. That would prevent Avatars from puking constantly but still keep the fun in. :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/SotA_Official/comments/6iek5l/im_richard_garriott_aka_lord_british_creator_of/

giffy689BraindomeMikeha

Comments

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    OK...I guess people can't discuss things they don't agree with?  That would make for a thrilling forum.
    Braindome
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Robokapp said:
    there's three separate MMO directions that people are looking at and members of one group have no business debating the other two as they don't understand them or their appeal well enough.

1) max immersion. life simulation in virtual universe. as detailed as possible. 

2) max competitiveness. The game is an infinite stage for you to display your skills to all others to observe admire, replicate, improve, perfect, challenge and compete. infinite vertical progression, milestone after milestone to hit and exceed, then another to strive towards. 

3) max time-to-action density. Jump in, do a 30min heart-racing gaming session, get out. Think of the matrix. plug in, everyone wants to kill you, plug out, go dance in a cave. 

Obviously this game reaches for #1. Making arguments that is not #3 makes me think "no duhhhh!"

While I agree with you on the categories I think there comes a point when perhaps they are overthinking it and trying to make something overly complex just for the sake of saying "look how complex our food system is!!"

I mean seriously if the calories/fat/salt thing were true I cant see someone getting excited about logging in so they can write in their food journal and weigh out their portion size to make sure that they aren't over consuming calories or that the food isn't too salty. 

Guild: "Hey come kill this world boss with us for some epic items"
    You: "Sorry guys I'm trying to plan out my meals for the day so that I don't accidentally over eat or offset my electrolyte balance."

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    OK...I guess people can't discuss things they don't agree with?  That would make for a thrilling forum.

Well, how  about you make a game and let us complain about it?
    MightyUncleanjimmywolf
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    I half-expect they'll add Richard Garriott's blood as consumable ingredient available only on cash shop.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Vrika said:
    I half-expect they'll add Richard Garriott's blood as consumable ingredient available only on cash shop.
    What a brilliant idea.
    I am sure RG  is taking notes.

waynejr2 said:

I'm not a game creator, I'm a game player.  I paid my $40 for this game and I have every right to voice my opinion.  Are you saying that, as players, we don't have any place discussing and criticizing games as we see fit?  What are we supposed to do on these forums if not have open discussions?  If you want to see posts where people just talk about the positive aspects of SotA and blow smoke up each-other's and the developers' asses all day, there's plenty of that on the official SotA forums.
    hasho83jimmywolf[Deleted User]Gdemami
  • shetlandslarsenshetlandslarsen Member UncommonPosts: 203
    well i like the idea with a complex food system. But thats me :)
    I am a scizo misanthrope. So one day I may go BANZAI on your post.
    Have not yet though. Maybe there is hope?
    Nah there is really none for me or the human race. 
  • blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    If the complex food system was fun, that'd be fun.  But it's not fun.

It's a gold sink and beholden to RMT as absolutely necessary to stay competitive in the economy.  If you do any adventuring whatsoever, food is a must.  YOu have to eat magical foods too that give you increased combat/focus regen rates and the only way to get the ingredients for the food is to grind your way to end game levels so you can farm the bosses OR buy the ingredients in bulk on the player market.  Harvesting, farming, grinding, it's a painful experience and food is just another thing to micromanage for the crowd of players that like to micromanage... it's not even about min/max it's about micromanaging your requirements to stay combat effective so you can grind.

This game is stupid.

Rawyn
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    If the complex food system was fun, that'd be fun.  But it's not fun.

It's a gold sink and beholden to RMT as absolutely necessary to stay competitive in the economy.  If you do any adventuring whatsoever, food is a must.  YOu have to eat magical foods too that give you increased combat/focus regen rates and the only way to get the ingredients for the food is to grind your way to end game levels so you can farm the bosses OR buy the ingredients in bulk on the player market.  Harvesting, farming, grinding, it's a painful experience and food is just another thing to micromanage for the crowd of players that like to micromanage... it's not even about min/max it's about micromanaging your requirements to stay combat effective so you can grind.

This game is stupid.

The game might be stupid, but harvesting, farming, grinding and even micromanaging things such as food consumption (or inventory) are activities some players have been enjoying since the early days of single player RPGs.

I recall back in Ultima VI (I think) your party characters would have to be fed and given drink regularly or they would complain and suffer performance penalties if left unnattended.

I also think you got more benefits from one type of food (meat perhaps) vs fruit (I still recall bananas in my inventory)

Ruchard apparently has never forgotten those days and would like them in this game but I agree not everyone thrills to such ideas.

Goes back to whether you want to play a game or live in more of a virtual world.

I draw the line at having to keep stockpiles of toilet tissue in my backpack, a bit too much realism for my tastes. ;)
    giffy689

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RawynRawyn Member UncommonPosts: 202
    edited June 2017
    I can see it now knowing them, food buffs in the add on store. Negate all these stupid food buffs effects by buying ouyr extra special BS pie 2 for $10 ......

Oh look another telethon coming up, They just had one a few weeks ago Jeez these jokers are goin begging again ROFL. Seedinvest another telethon...these jokers are a bunch of losers going down on a sinking ship still begging for money. They have no shame.
    hasho83Gdemami
  • jtripperjtripper Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Whilst I'm not a fan of some parts of the game, this one intrigues me.  It's not a new idea, as there have been plenty of very popular Skyrim mods that does this very thing.  And there's also Fallout 4 Hardcore mode.  That said, both of those games punish you for not doing those things, this game seems to offer buffs if you do, but doesn't penalise if you don't?
    Upon reflection, I think I judged this feature too harshly.  In a game as utterly devoid of innovation as SotA, any attempt at something different should be applauded.
    ste2000KyleranpostlarvalRawynGdemamiPhizbin
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Upon reflection, I think I judged this feature too harshly.  In a game as utterly devoid of innovation as SotA, any attempt at something different should be applauded.
    I like this kind of systems actually, but not in SotA, not in the current state at least.
    The game is already very slow and clunky, I don't think it needs another element that slows down the gameplay even further.
    It is already boring as it is.
    But nothing against the idea in principle.

Rawyn

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Unfortunately I think there are far more pressing issues to be dealt with and features such as this probably are better as part of the core design and not tacked on later in the game.

People rarely take well to adding extra inconvenience or making the game more challenging post release, which is why the whole concept of soft launch or early access is screwed up IMO.

In fact, the reason I cancelled my six annual EVE subs (and I paid in cash, not with ISK/PLEX) is their fleet boosting changes in last Nov's expansion added extra inconvenience / inefficiency /added risk to mining. 

RawynGdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• giffy689giffy689 Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Nyctelios said:
    waynejr2 said:

I'm not a game creator, I'm a game player.  I paid my $40 for this game and I have every right to voice my opinion.  Are you saying that, as players, we don't have any place discussing and criticizing games as we see fit?  What are we supposed to do on these forums if not have open discussions?  If you want to see posts where people just talk about the positive aspects of SotA and blow smoke up each-other's and the developers' asses all day, there's plenty of that on the official SotA forums.
    Don't mind him. He is bitter because he eat shit everyday  and since he is not a master chief or does not work at a restaurant he can't complain ;)
    I think you're confusing master chief with master chef. Just throwing it out there. :)