Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I can't find an MMO to play - Am I just bored of them or what is it?

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited June 2017
    Kyleran said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kyleran said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nyctelios said:
    I'm the same boat as OP, but with one twist: I like other genres and other games. I find no problem going back to an old game I love - or playing something new and different just to see how it is.

You should try to make a Pen and Paper RPG group with your friends and make a campaign based on the things you liked about the mmorpgs you played - I have a D&D campaign following Warcraft theme with custom rules we created and we are having a blast.
    pen and paper gaming is great!
    I should point out though if you like pen and paper experience which has around 5 people at once. You might find some of these private dedicated server games very rewarding. yes its not technically 'massive' but either is a pen and paper experience
    My issue with these smaller multiplayer games has less to do about number of players (more is better IMO) but rather is one of persistence or lack thereof.

I'm currently playing on a private DAOC freeshard that probably has more players online than the live servers.

As this team ran version 1 for almost 12 years non stop before taking a 2 yr break to reset everything back to core 1.69 I figure odds are good they'll be around at least another 5 years.

Which is probably when CU will finally launch so all good. ;)

that doesnt hold water and let me explain why.

stats in these private servers are persistent. The only things that are at a risk of being lost are things you cant even do in an MMO in the first place, like build bases farms etc.

there is that and basically that I just dont believe the reasons. I think people just fish to make up reasons because for whatever reason they are basically afraid to give it a shot. I know that sounds negative and is but I am trying to be as honest as I can while at the same time be as polite about it at least in effort.

It could also be that these games are too hard? I dont think so but that is possible as well.

A PERFECT game to use as an example of this conversation I think would be Life is Feudal

Perhaps I need to clairify. My concern with private server games is with the persistence of the game world / server itself.

Company run servers generally have shown greater persistence but I realise there are many notable exceptions.

The EVE universe I joined 10 years ago still exists today, as does Im sure my first home in WOW, Kel Thuzad which I was part of from 2004 to 2006.

My characters and progress still exist, but private servers appear to have much less longevity.

In fact most  company run servers in survival titles appear to wipe regularly in order to try and keep them fresh.

You often bring LIF into these conversations, interestingly enough I am considering playing this game.

Of course, only the MMORPG version, after it comes out of EA and is fully released. I may wave the 6 months post release requirement and I believe they plan on having a non Steam version.

Yes, some players do have their reasons for not playing other genres or EA titles and though you may feel they are contrived in my case I know exactly what I enjoy.

If I had no options I might be more flexible, but I am content with the two MMORPGs I like currently, and have hope for CU, LIF and others.

Oh yeah, playing the role of the cranky old "bittervet" well suits me...because its true! 

Cheers. B)

I actually understood that but what I am saying is that the reasons one would want the game world to persist are because of features that MMOs dont even have in the first place!

being concerned about that base you spent endless hours building in The Forest is a valid one, the farm that you finally got going in Wurm Unlimited totally makes sense.

however, to avoid doing those things to then play a game that doesnt have those things because your concerned about loosing those things doesnt make a lot of sense.

if you rebooted Eq2 now what would you loose outside of your player profile and your chest? some housing stuff?

My hunch after discussing this subject on and off for more than a year now is that people (on these forums) are just fishing for excuses, anything that can stick they will run with it

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• DonY81DonY81 Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Bought FFXIV+expansion, found out couldn't join my friends cause server is locked. I dunno why a queue like most normal games couldn't be implemented, but oh well. I'd rather be in an 10 hour queue and wait all day to play than not play at all with my friends lol

Tried ESO, but the community seemed kinda meh and even joining in the past hour a big guild...I think I just can't get into ESO for some reason. It didn't help my two friends who joined with me say they probably won't continue playing it.

Keep going back over and over to WoW, but I get bored really quick cause did so much of it already and there isn't really anything to actually do in Legion except get better items...which is boring

Sort of play GW2...but it feels pointless...while chasing a tiny bit bigger piece of cheese in WoW is boring and I don't consider real content...having no point at all to do play is kinda boring too. I dunno what there is to accomplish in GW2. Plus none of my friends actually play GW2. However...PvP in GW2 is amazing.

I LOVED City of Heroes. Loved SWG. Loved Asheron's Call. Loved Saga of Ryzom (but that MMO is dead as hell, its up but literally NO ONE plays lol)...I loved warhammer online (and dark age of camelot before that)...loved Vanguard Saga of Heroes. Loved tabula rasa and auto assault. Loved anarchy online (yes its still up, yes the graphics make it unplayable for me)...none of these I got bored with even if I played them for years and years.

Sure some I can go back to (SWG is still around heh heh)...but I am a graphics snob (sort of)...I don't need the best graphics in the entire world...I just want playable semi-modern graphics lol. Going back to old blocky 3d graphics=a big fat no for me lol. 

Is it the newer MMOs that are out that just aren't like the old MMOs? Am I bored with the genre or what? 

OP Secret World Legends is out in a few have you tried TSW?
    I am looking for to this in a few days but like you nothing works for me so we will see. I really miss a good MMO!!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kyleran said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kyleran said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nyctelios said:
    I'm the same boat as OP, but with one twist: I like other genres and other games. I find no problem going back to an old game I love - or playing something new and different just to see how it is.

You should try to make a Pen and Paper RPG group with your friends and make a campaign based on the things you liked about the mmorpgs you played - I have a D&D campaign following Warcraft theme with custom rules we created and we are having a blast.
    I should point out though if you like pen and paper experience which has around 5 people at once. You might find some of these private dedicated server games very rewarding. yes its not technically 'massive' but either is a pen and paper experience
    My issue with these smaller multiplayer games has less to do about number of players (more is better IMO) but rather is one of persistence or lack thereof.

I'm currently playing on a private DAOC freeshard that probably has more players online than the live servers.

As this team ran version 1 for almost 12 years non stop before taking a 2 yr break to reset everything back to core 1.69 I figure odds are good they'll be around at least another 5 years.

stats in these private servers are persistent. The only things that are at a risk of being lost are things you cant even do in an MMO in the first place, like build bases farms etc.

there is that and basically that I just dont believe the reasons. I think people just fish to make up reasons because for whatever reason they are basically afraid to give it a shot. I know that sounds negative and is but I am trying to be as honest as I can while at the same time be as polite about it at least in effort.

It could also be that these games are too hard? I dont think so but that is possible as well.

A PERFECT game to use as an example of this conversation I think would be Life is Feudal

Perhaps I need to clairify. My concern with private server games is with the persistence of the game world / server itself.

Company run servers generally have shown greater persistence but I realise there are many notable exceptions.

The EVE universe I joined 10 years ago still exists today, as does Im sure my first home in WOW, Kel Thuzad which I was part of from 2004 to 2006.

My characters and progress still exist, but private servers appear to have much less longevity.

In fact most  company run servers in survival titles appear to wipe regularly in order to try and keep them fresh.

You often bring LIF into these conversations, interestingly enough I am considering playing this game.

Of course, only the MMORPG version, after it comes out of EA and is fully released. I may wave the 6 months post release requirement and I believe they plan on having a non Steam version.

Yes, some players do have their reasons for not playing other genres or EA titles and though you may feel they are contrived in my case I know exactly what I enjoy.

If I had no options I might be more flexible, but I am content with the two MMORPGs I like currently, and have hope for CU, LIF and others.

Oh yeah, playing the role of the cranky old "bittervet" well suits me...because its true! 

Cheers. B)

I actually understood that but what I am saying is that the reasons one would want the game world to persist are because of features that MMOs dont even have in the first place!

being concerned about that base you spent endless hours building in The Forest is a valid one, the farm that you finally got going in Wurm Unlimited totally makes sense.

however, to avoid doing those things to then play a game that doesnt have those things because your concerned about loosing those things doesnt make a lot of sense.

if you rebooted Eq2 now what would you loose outside of your player profile and your chest? some housing stuff?

My hunch after discussing this subject on and off for more than a year now is that people (on these forums) are just fishing for excuses, anything that can stick they will run with it

Theme parks probably wouldnt suffer much loss, though I get attached to my characters and dislike losing them.

In EVE a reboot would a big loss in terms of both real time character training and large ISK reserves I've accumulated from many years of playing.

When you live in virtual worlds persistence is an important factor.

Phaserlight

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    edited June 2017
    Kyleran said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    In EVE a reboot would a big loss in terms of both real time character training and large ISK reserves I've accumulated from many years of playing.
    To add my two cents.

A wipe is a complete dealbreaker for my sister - if it happens she will move to another game. I think for her, growing the in-game character is above everything else. She cares a lot about getting equipment, housing items and such.

For me, the more social a game is, the less impactful a wipe is. You still get to retain your friend networks, which a wipe shouldn't affect at all. That means that Themeparks, paradoxically, get affected the most - the social interactions in those games are more limited than in sandboxes. As such, people view their character as an important pillar, it's not as if a guild is much more than a sum of its parts.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    Kyleran said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kyleran said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kyleran said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nyctelios said:

Cheers. B)

Theme parks probably wouldnt suffer much loss, though I get attached to my characters and dislike losing them.

When you live in virtual worlds persistence is an important factor.

@Kyleran is really on point in this argument.  The importance of his position can't be understated; it's the reason I moved away from playing Minecraft on persistent servers (although Mojang/Microsoft seems to be getting their act together through the implementation of "Minecraft Realms").  I thought that house I spent hours and hours on would be safe, at lat/long xx.xxx yy.yyy.  So would those caverns I discovered and meticulously labeled, building roads and guideposts to the nearest civilization.

Wrong.

Joe McServer decided it was important to update to the latest patch so that... wolves would be included.  This meant wiping everything.  The illusion of persistence was completely shattered, for me.  It would have been better had I not started playing at all.

If some other player had come through and destroyed everything, I wouldn't have minded.  However this was not the sort of organic evolution that took place; it was a simple and complete server wipe, at the whim of a single individual I had never met, for the tritest of reasons.

You don't get the kind of build up of virtual history and social movements @Kyleran is alluding to without real dedication on the part of whomever is running the server, and this usually means a professional corporation.
    Kyleran

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I have a working list of RPGs and MMOs that I play nearly daily.  I also have a list of the ones I've yet to play completely but have started to test out but intend to finish one day.  I suppose it all depends on what you're looking for for your entertainment.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416
    edited June 2017
    Your probally in the same situation as me, when your sick of the wow-clone themepark mmorpgs that seems to be all they make anymore. You might wanna look into more of a grinder type mmo, preferably one with a decent party system. The last mmorpg I played that I considered a real mmorpg was ff11 and this was before they changed it to cater to casuals and made most stuff soloable. Before you needed a party to do almost anything, which made it have a community that I just haven't seen a mmorpg have since.

You also felt connected to your character in FF11 due to the time it takes to get places, you feel accomplished when you finally kill that boss or get that rank up you been trying to get. In ff11 its like ff14 you can switch jobs on your char, but ff11 was more of a party grinder back when I played, compared to ff14 being generic themepark 101. I quit ff14, the combat just got boring, and the questing even moreso. New expansion just came out not to long ago, but its still the same boring combat and questing so I never really bothered with it.

Sadly, mmorpgs like the type i'd want to play just don't exist anymore today, though there ARE some in the works, but they won't be out for a while.

As for private servers, you just gotta find a good one, search around, see which ones have been around for a year or more, those are generally good ones to try out.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• seraphicasseraphicas Member UncommonPosts: 51
    OP..I'll point you in the direction of one of the best rpg's ever made..Baldurs Gate 2..head on over to GoG and get the bg2 enhanced edition for $5-$20.  You can thank me later : )
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited June 2017
    I'm just gonna stick with ESO as far as MMOs go. It seems the best (for me) non-WoW one. 

otherwise, gonna play Fallout 3/NV, Fallout 4, Skyrim, Cities Skylines, Europa Universalis 4 with the MEIOU mod. And buy a game on steam sale (not sure which one yet)

Anyone suggest a 10-20 dollar game (cause already wasted a lot of money on MMOs I ended up quitting a day or two later lol) on Steam? I'm good for 4x ones with EU4. Any good RPGs or good replayable games that have a long play time?

I'm thinking either pick up Batman Arkham Knight (LOVED the previous batman games) or Dark Souls 3 (loved dark souls 1 and 2)...dark souls 3 however goes past my 20 dollar budget, and I'm kinda leaning toward more batman...but dark souls 3 has a longer time to complete the game and its really good too (at least the first two were), so I dunno.

What you guys think? Or any other suggestions?

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• seraphicasseraphicas Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Well TheScavenger, if you take the time out to read the replies and suggestions everyone gave you, you'd most likely have your answer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited June 2017
    Arkham Knight looks like a lot of fun, but I'll pick it up on the next sale. Its top on my wishlist though.

I ended up buying the Eador bundle for 12 dollars (well it came out to be 11 dollars and something with my few cents left in steam wallet lol). It came with Eador Genesis, Broken World and the new Imperium. For those unaware, its a fantasy 4x and at least Broken World, a campaign can take literally 1-2 months to finish supposedly.

Genesis is even harder, and you can get a STANDALONE (meaning don't actually need to buy Genesis) mod called New Horizon and its a really popular mod for Genesis.

Broken World and Imperium of course however have vastly better graphics, though I guess Imperium is a bit unstable right now since its newer. 

To be honest...I uh...got a trial for Broken World since I had no clue at all if I'd like it or not and its a pretty niche unknown 4x fantasy game. People describe Broken World as playing Dark Souls as a roguelike strategy game. And Genesis as playing Dark Souls on a old nintendo gamepad lol. I guess they are super challenging, which is why I went with them. In any case...played my two hour "trial" limit (technically 4 hours since I get 2 extra hours before steam doesn't refund it) and liked it enough that I got the game. I also really really suck at it.

I then got New Horizon (technically didn't even need to buy Genesis, but it is literally 59 cents on steam...so why the hell not rofl). and that is even harder than Broken World rofl.

haven't played imperium yet.

I guess they are all in the same vein as the heroes of might and magic games. Kinda similar, but seem very different in actual content. A lot more involved I've found, bigger learning curve, more challenging...but haven't really played too much yet.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    Gorwe said:
    I'm in the same boat as the OP. 

My personal tastes haven't changed over the years, but was has changed is that I at least know what my personal tastes are now. In the past when I was still exploring the genre, I didn't really know what I liked or didn't like so I would try a lot of games out. Some I'd last a day, some a week, some a few months before I identified something I could get over - be it weak / shallow combat, too linear questing, crazy power gaps or just an IP I couldn't connect with. 

So, these days, I at least know exactly what I like, and more importantly, I know exactly what sort of features will kill my enjoyment of an MMO. 

On top of that, the genre has changed. The biggest change has been the move to action-combat. It is a style of combat I simply don't enjoy, I find it too shallow and unengaging for long term play. I can put up with it for 30-50 hours (standard single player RPG) but even with them, I'm usually bored by the end. For an MMO where I expect to play for years, I just can't stand the boredom. 

So, like the OP, I sit around waiting for something new and engaging to come along. All my hopes are pinned on Camelot Unchained but we're still a long way from release on that one. I'm curious to see what Amazon can do with New World, but hold little hope for that. 
    Yes. Gnothi seauton. A wise thing. I, otoh, can't get enough of action combat and can't understand why would anyone not want a Star Wars game with TERA / BnS' combat. Maybe you can explain? Also, @Tiller , you're a superbeast! 300 mmos! I can't name even 100 of them lol.
    So, when it comes to combat mechanics that can be enjoyed for years, the key factor for me is mental engagement. "Depth" is the term usually thrown about, depth being defined as the number of meaningful decisions one has to make. 

In a standard action combat game, resource management is usually very easy and the number of skills I can use is usually quite small. So, at any given moment during combat in an action game, my choices are usually:
    • Basic attack
    • Block
    • Dodge
    • Move
    • Use a skill (choice of 5/7/10/12)
    With the limited number of skills, picking the next skill to use is usually obvious. A few will be on cooldown, a few will be inappropriate, so the choice is very easy. Combat is thus extremely predictable and usually the only meaningful decision I have to make is "do I try to avoid this attack, or use a skill?". 

Once you have the mental side of action sorted (usually only takes a few hours), it's then all about physical reaction times. That requires a different sort of skill - muscle memory - and can be acquired by everyone given enough time. 

I compare that to a well thought out traditional combat system (like vanilla lotro). You only ever really have to choose between moving or using a skill, but with proper resource management and a ton of skills, the choice I have to make is actually meaningful. 

So, as an example, I played a captain in LotRO, a jack-of-all-trades support class. My DPS rotation was only 7 skills long and a rotation, no matter how complex, has no depth so could be considered a single skill. This means for easy content, LotRO is less engaging than action combat. 

However, as the difficulty ramps up, the depth starts to shine. On my captain, I could only sustain my DPS rotation for 2 minutes before running out of resources, so immediately I'm having to decide whether to burn power, or save it. My class also had about 20 situational abilities - self heals, group heals, buffs etc. This meant that in any difficult group content, my decision making process at any given moment was very deep. I had to carefully select what skill to use, because if I made the wrong choice it could dramatically shift the balance of the fight. 

By having a deep combat system like this, it meant the outcome of hard content really was all about player skill. Gear was of little importance. 

In this way, LotRO's combat system kept me engaged, mentally, for years. When we beat difficult content, I could feel satisfied knowing that we beat it through intelligence and cooperation, rather than gear and muscle memory. If a game isn't keeping me mentally engaged then I will quit quickly. 

Now, having said this, a traditional MMO combat system is no guarantee of depth, far from it. SWG's combat was really shallow - all the depth was in the meta game - and SW:TOR was also really shallow, despite a large amount of skills (complexity =/= depth). WAR was pretty shallow on the PvE end, the depth only came out during group-based pvp. 

Also, being an action combat game is not a guarantee of shallow combat. Admittedly, I've never played an action combat game with combat depth but it is possible. I look forwards to the day when someone manages to combine some of the movement / manual blocking and aiming with a large amount of skills to give us the best of both worlds. 

• OraclescapeOraclescape Member CommonPosts: 1
    oraclescape.com mmorpg custom fun
  • Psychos1sPsychos1s Member UncommonPosts: 191
    I'm in the same boat as the OP, I blast WoW every now n then for some PvE but end up getting bored quickly, have a blast on EvE but after playing it for 13 years, again it gets boring, though I will say if you can find a decent corp it can be a lot of fun if you've never played it.

Keep waiting for a big company to do a sandbox that has both really good PvE along with all the sandbox elements I love, though to be honest I'll probably get my own sandbox in the form of a coffin before that happens.

Lately I've been playing some survival games with my mates and having fun in them, yeah some servers can be toxic but a lot of em I've been on actually have decent communities where even people who kill each other have a decent attitude toward one-another.

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    As much as anything, its that MMOs aren't massive anymore and are too solo oriented...Since they decided that we all just wanted to do mindless quests by ourselves all day, that is what we've got.
    lol....

so much for 'oh my god we cant play a dedicated mulitplayer RPG because that is nothing like an MMO where I am doing my solo quests'

Can't even understand your sentence structure...
    goddamnit fine.. despite my desire I WILL explain for multiple reasons.

1. many people here try to suggest that one can not compare an MMO to a dedicated server RPG style game because such games are not MMOs.
    2. They suggest that although the play style between those two types of games can be and often are remarketably similar that the key point that makes such comparisons not possible is the fact of how many people are online at once.
    3. This of course doesnt affect player experience other than the market place but I can see how one would argue that it does.
    4. HOWEVER...if most people are playing solo then that one and only one reason that is different becomes mute.

Hint: If you dont want me to enrage on this subject then dont reply with comments such as the one you did. However if you DO want me to engage in these points then by all means continue
    I was specifically referring to your sentence structure. 

Theocritus was lamenting the fact that MMOs aren't massively multiplayer any more because the devs decided to make many games solo orientated. 

Your reply...well, it was just bad english, so much so that I literally didn't have a clue what you were talking about. 

As to your clarification, we've been over this in one of the other threads where we were talking about Dunbars number. As I said in the other thread, it all comes down to why you play MMOs. 

If you play for the massively-multiplayer part of the genre, then it matters a great deal. This is why I play MMOs. It is the single unique selling point of the whole genre. First, there is the social part - by having 1000s on my server that I interact with, it allows me to find the 100s who I like so I can form a great guild and participate in group content at any hour of the day. I can form friendly rivalries with other guilds and organise large scale server events. It also gives me 100s of people to fight in PvP, a large market for buying and selling crafted goods. These things are not possible on a small scale dedicated server. 

If you play for the RPG part (i.e. the typical features of an MMORPG), then no, it doesn't make much difference whether you are playing an actual MMO or a small, dedicated multiplayer RPG. For example, if I were playing LotRO and didn't care about PvP, then a private server with 30 people that I already knew and could co-ordinate playtimes with would give me a similar experience. 30 would be enough to cover all trade, all classes and give us enough for the 24 man raids (with some leeway for people being busy). If I was a solo player, I wouldn't even need to know the other people, I could just pick a class and play through the quests to cap. 

MMOs have never been great at leveraging the power of massively-multiplayer and have been getting worse over time. Combine this with an average players propensity for solo play and you're right: for the majority of people, there would be little difference between playing on a large scale server, or on a private dedicated one (assuming persistence in both settings). 

But, as I have always maintained, there is still a healthy market for actual MMOs. I also firmly believe that if developers actually started trying to leverage the power of massively-multiplayer features (more group content / larger groups, no power gaps, full player economies, well implemented large scale pvp, loads more social features etc) then we would start seeing more popularity in the genre and greater retention of players. 

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Gorwe said:

My personal tastes haven't changed over the years, but was has changed is that I at least know what my personal tastes are now. In the past when I was still exploring the genre, I didn't really know what I liked or didn't like so I would try a lot of games out. Some I'd last a day, some a week, some a few months before I identified something I could get over - be it weak / shallow combat, too linear questing, crazy power gaps or just an IP I couldn't connect with. 

So, these days, I at least know exactly what I like, and more importantly, I know exactly what sort of features will kill my enjoyment of an MMO. 

On top of that, the genre has changed. The biggest change has been the move to action-combat. It is a style of combat I simply don't enjoy, I find it too shallow and unengaging for long term play. I can put up with it for 30-50 hours (standard single player RPG) but even with them, I'm usually bored by the end. For an MMO where I expect to play for years, I just can't stand the boredom. 

So, like the OP, I sit around waiting for something new and engaging to come along. All my hopes are pinned on Camelot Unchained but we're still a long way from release on that one. I'm curious to see what Amazon can do with New World, but hold little hope for that. 
    Yes. Gnothi seauton. A wise thing. I, otoh, can't get enough of action combat and can't understand why would anyone not want a Star Wars game with TERA / BnS' combat. Maybe you can explain? Also, @Tiller , you're a superbeast! 300 mmos! I can't name even 100 of them lol.
    So, when it comes to combat mechanics that can be enjoyed for years, the key factor for me is mental engagement. "Depth" is the term usually thrown about, depth being defined as the number of meaningful decisions one has to make. 

In a standard action combat game, resource management is usually very easy and the number of skills I can use is usually quite small. So, at any given moment during combat in an action game, my choices are usually:
    • Basic attack
    • Block
    • Dodge
    • Move
    The Souls/borne series would like to have a word with you, they have been built around this and offer more depth then any MMORPG I know, including Vanilla LotRO, and I played a Loremaster there  ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

lahnmir said:
    Gorwe said:

• Basic attack
    • Block
    • Dodge
    • Move

The Souls/borne series would like to have a word with you, they have been built around this and offer more depth then any MMORPG I know, including Vanilla LotRO, and I played a Loremaster there  ;) 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Yup, not played those series. 

How have they managed to add depth to the combat? Do you have a lot of skills to choose from during combat? If you choose the wrong skill, will it have much of an effect on the outcome?

My limited understanding of the Dark Souls series is that it is very hardcore, so you have to be on it in terms of reacting quickly and attacking at the correct time, but I was unaware of any deep decision making required. 
  • beebop500beebop500 Member UncommonPosts: 217
    Many of us old vets feel the same as you do, OP.  As others have said in this thread, you are certainly not alone.  And I don't think it's because I've changed; on the contrary, as I have gotten older, I have discovered exactly what I want, and don't want, in an MMO, and most of the offerings now contain far too much of what I don't want.  I've always been a 50/50 console/PC player, so over the past two years or so have been spending my time on single-player games and am enjoying myself immensely.  Still, I miss my days of MMO time, and so still hang around the forums and read the gaming news, hoping something will catch my interest.

Played WoW for years, but cannot play this new iteration.  I still play GW 1 occasionally, and am part of a large and active alliance, but let's face it, the game is not what it used to be in terms of population or activity.  GW 2 never held me, just seemed pointless, pretty as it is.  I wanted to like FF XIV:ARR badly, but the forced solo content, forced group content, and boring combat (imo) drove me away.  BDO is gorgeous and looks like fun, but the pop-in ruined the entire experience for me.  I played BnS for a couple of years on Cn and Jp servers before it ever came here, thus already knew the game has no content beyond combat, so won't play it on these shores.  I refuse to hand over my money to unfinished pie-in-the-sky kickstarter projects.  The list goes on.

Point being, if you're not enjoying the genre any more, it's not your "fault" or the "fault" of anything or anyone else.  And it does not mean you have changed.  We are inundated with F2P crapfests now, since MMO gaming has become focused on making money as quickly as possible.  I think a lot of people now just game-hop from one to the other every few months, so those of us who want to commit to something long-term are having difficulty finding the gaming homes we used to know and love.  IMO the genre itself has changed, and with the sheer number of younger, immature players online now, it can be almost impossible to find those old feelings.  I'd say stick with something older if you still can, or find some single-player games to eat up your time.  Many of us are stuck waiting for something better to come along, although I wonder if that will ever happen, given the state of the industry.
    Adequate
    "We are all as God made us, and many of us much worse." - Don Quixote
    edited June 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    As much as anything, its that MMOs aren't massive anymore and are too solo oriented...Since they decided that we all just wanted to do mindless quests by ourselves all day, that is what we've got.
    lol....

so much for 'oh my god we cant play a dedicated mulitplayer RPG because that is nothing like an MMO where I am doing my solo quests'

Can't even understand your sentence structure...
    goddamnit fine.. despite my desire I WILL explain for multiple reasons.

1. many people here try to suggest that one can not compare an MMO to a dedicated server RPG style game because such games are not MMOs.
    2. They suggest that although the play style between those two types of games can be and often are remarketably similar that the key point that makes such comparisons not possible is the fact of how many people are online at once.
    3. This of course doesnt affect player experience other than the market place but I can see how one would argue that it does.
    4. HOWEVER...if most people are playing solo then that one and only one reason that is different becomes mute.

Hint: If you dont want me to enrage on this subject then dont reply with comments such as the one you did. However if you DO want me to engage in these points then by all means continue
    I was specifically referring to your sentence structure. 

Theocritus was lamenting the fact that MMOs aren't massively multiplayer any more because the devs decided to make many games solo orientated. 

Your reply...well, it was just bad english, so much so that I literally didn't have a clue what you were talking about. 

As to your clarification, we've been over this in one of the other threads where we were talking about Dunbars number. As I said in the other thread, it all comes down to why you play MMOs. 

If you play for the massively-multiplayer part of the genre, then it matters a great deal. This is why I play MMOs. It is the single unique selling point of the whole genre. First, there is the social part - by having 1000s on my server that I interact with, it allows me to find the 100s who I like so I can form a great guild and participate in group content at any hour of the day. I can form friendly rivalries with other guilds and organise large scale server events. It also gives me 100s of people to fight in PvP, a large market for buying and selling crafted goods. These things are not possible on a small scale dedicated server. 

If you play for the RPG part (i.e. the typical features of an MMORPG), then no, it doesn't make much difference whether you are playing an actual MMO or a small, dedicated multiplayer RPG. For example, if I were playing LotRO and didn't care about PvP, then a private server with 30 people that I already knew and could co-ordinate playtimes with would give me a similar experience. 30 would be enough to cover all trade, all classes and give us enough for the 24 man raids (with some leeway for people being busy). If I was a solo player, I wouldn't even need to know the other people, I could just pick a class and play through the quests to cap. 

MMOs have never been great at leveraging the power of massively-multiplayer and have been getting worse over time. Combine this with an average players propensity for solo play and you're right: for the majority of people, there would be little difference between playing on a large scale server, or on a private dedicated one (assuming persistence in both settings). 

But, as I have always maintained, there is still a healthy market for actual MMOs. I also firmly believe that if developers actually started trying to leverage the power of massively-multiplayer features (more group content / larger groups, no power gaps, full player economies, well implemented large scale pvp, loads more social features etc) then we would start seeing more popularity in the genre and greater retention of players. 

you just wrote 3 paragraphs about my bad sentence structure even though you understood my point?

ok can you stop now so we can keep the conversation on tract?

I think I made myself clear enough the first time and to be completely frank I dont care what your opinion is on the matter after you first response on that so your wasting your time because I am not reading your views on it.

cameltosis

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

If you play for the RPG part (i.e. the typical features of an MMORPG), then no, it doesn't make much difference whether you are playing an actual MMO or a small, dedicated multiplayer RPG. 

Clearly the developers do not believe "there is still a healthy market for actual MMOs". Otherwise, there will still be some AAA MMO development.

What makes you the expert, as opposed to those actually run the businesses and have all the data?

In addition, MOBAs and other small online MP games clearly show that a game can be successful without the massive part .. so why take the risk?

I dont know if this is realted to what you guys are talking about specifically but I think it is
    https://www.pcgamesn.com/the-elder-scrolls-online-tamriel-unlimited/the-elder-scrolls-online-MMORPG

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited June 2017
    I think playing mmos is like reading books. You start out reading things like Curious George and Where the Wild Things Are (classics), and you basically love all books. Later, after you have read a hundred books or so, you start having likes and dislikes. Not all books please you anymore. A few hundred books later, you now have strong likes and dislikes. And eventually you have a stack of books next to your bed that you decided were shit after less than one chapter, and quit. That does not mean there are no good new authors. It means your tolerance for things you don't like has been diminished.
    Sovrathwaynejr2

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

edited June 2017
    Amathe said:
    I think playing mmos is like reading books. You start out reading things like Curious George and Where the Wild Things Are (classics), and you basically love all books. Later, after you have read a hundred books or so, you start having likes and dislikes. Not all books please you anymore. A few hundred books later, you now have strong likes and dislikes. And eventually you have a stack of books next to your bed that you decided were shit after less than one chapter, and quit. That does not mean there are no good new authors. It means your tolerance for things you don't like has been diminished.
    there is some truth to it but there is also the factor of what they call 'diffusion of innovation' in that as well. even though that term is specific to market place technologies. What it shows is that some people take considerably more time to make a change.

So there you are reading curious George at age 8 and its a wonderful time in your life you want life to remain there and not move. But you get debt, you get work, you learn real life isnt as rosy as they advertise AND in addition to that you have 'matured' beyond those books but you dont want to explore new books because what you really want is to go back to your happy place.

Totally valid and reasonable emotional response however if one can no longer get satisfactions then they have to move on even if its scary and painful. In other areas of my life I am going thru exactly the same challenge

AmatheVengeSunsoar