Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I can't find an MMO to play - Am I just bored of them or what is it?

Comments

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    A simple tip, step away from the AAA games. Because of their huge budgets they always play it safe and once you 'know' the genre boredom sets in fast.

I went to 'smaller' games and found treasure after treasure.

Some personal favorites:

Underrail
    Crosscode
    Book of Demons
    Chronicon
    Darkest Dungeon (this one became quite big in all honesty)
    Rimworld
    Factorio

Just to name a few, fresh, exciting and interesting games. They are there, you need to start looking in different places. In the MMO genre only Project Gorgon would qualify. More are in the works but this one is actually playable.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    laxiePhaserlightKyleran
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    It's important to find out what you like about MMOs.

I was in the same boat for years. After leaving SWG and subsequently EQ2, I started looking for a game that would capture my interest. Trying out a lot of different things was interesting for a while. I went through game after game - I must have played hundreds of MMOs over the years. Some of them I arguably didn't give a fair try. But many of them I gave a really solid shot, never managing to replicate my passion for SWG.

A couple of things I found out during my search:
    • There is no game that's perfect for everyone - This seems obvious, but the way people talk about games implies otherwise. I am guilty of this as well. People label games as "good" or "bad". The truth is that games appeal to different audiences. I think once you embrace the fact, you can stop looking for a game that everyone else says is "good", and instead start looking for a game that you personally will enjoy.

• AAA games often struggle building a stable community - The social aspect of MMOs is the main appeal to me. I love crafting, but I enjoy selling my goods to other players more. Similarly, I love combat, but some of the best memories I have are when being in a group of people. AAA games often rely on hype during their marketing. They sell the game to millions, knowing they will lose 90% of the community within 3 months. Niche games with smaller populations and a user-centered development will more likely nurture stable communities.

• Manage your expectations - I got really fed up with MMOs about 5 years ago. I went through many MMORPGs by then, seeing the communities come and go on a regular basis. Today, I realise SWG and EQ2 had some brilliant moments, but they also had their fair share of issues. Because of their specific designs and the environment of the early 2000s, it's impossible to find a similar thing today. Even if you copied them exactly, the environment would be different. I changed my perspective on MMOs a lot 5 years ago - I went from trying to recapture something I loved, to find new designs and communities that appeal to me in new ways.

I took a break from MMOs for about a year, 5 years ago. I went on to make a Minecraft server, learn coding and work with online communities without playing MMOs at all. After coming back, I stopped trying to find replacement games for those I once knew. I think a fresh perspective was the turning point for me personally.

Since then, I've had amazing times in GW2. We used to play every weekend for about 2 years straight. It was a lot more balanced, mature experience (not talking about in-game balance) compared to playing SWG growing up. I played Black Desert Online on release, competing for the farming leaderboards. That consumed me for a few months and was really exciting in a completely different way. Now, I am developing a small indie MMO with a friend of mine, trying to build a cozy community that way.

All of those things are very different to my times in SWG, but fun and meaningful in new and different ways.
    Phaserlight
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    To OP: How would we know? We are not you.

However, it is pretty easy to find other entertainment. Play a non-MMO game. Watch some netflix. Read novels. 

There are plenty of other fun things beyond MMOs. In fact, most people i know don't obsess with one small declining genre of computer games. 
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Tofke said:
    It happens with any genre and your changing preferences.

My cure: You play a game you fancy from other genres in the meanwhile. Just sticking to one genre is odd to me as a gamer, but I'm sure people exist like that.
    From 2007 to 2012, all I played were MMORPGs. 

For me, a well made MMORPG is the pinnacle of gaming. It has more content, more depth and more people than any other genre out there, but it is the people aspect that sets it apart from every other genre. When you have 1000s on a server, playing the same game for years, a true, close knit community can form. That simply cannot be replicated without a massive amount of people. 

So, I was more than happy only playing MMORPGs for 6 years, I didn't need any other genre because MMORPGs gave me everything I wanted. I stopped playing MMOs due to lack of good games, but it then took me ages to readjust to single player games. I'd keep picking up a game, playing it for 2-3 hours and realising it didn't even come close to the magic of MMOs. 

So, I understand people that only stick to one genre. If you genuinely enjoy that genre more than any other, why would you opt for a less enjoyment elsewhere? As long as your genre is still pumping out good games / content, crack on!
    Gdemami
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I LOVED City of Heroes. Loved SWG. Loved Asheron's Call. Loved Saga of Ryzom (but that MMO is dead as hell, its up but literally NO ONE plays lol)...I loved warhammer online (and dark age of camelot before that)...loved Vanguard Saga of Heroes. Loved tabula rasa and auto assault. Loved anarchy online (yes its still up, yes the graphics make it unplayable for me)...none of these I got bored with even if I played them for years and years.

I have to say you have a weird fetish for closed down MMORPGs, I counted 7 dead out of 10 and the other 3, DAOC, Ryzom and Anarchy Online are just barely alive.
    I can predict you gonna find it extremely hard to find a MMORPG to play in the future with such taste.
    I really don't wanna be in your shoes.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    On top of that, the genre has changed. The biggest change has been the move to action-combat. It is a style of combat I simply don't enjoy, I find it too shallow and unengaging for long term play. 
    Hear, hear. Very much agree - and I actually like action, just it has nothing to do and should stay away from RPGs... but it would be too off-topic babbling about it for long :wink:

Loved anarchy online (yes its still up, yes the graphics make it unplayable for me)
    Have you tried it after the gfx overhaul? Sure, they can't make wonders with its engine, but considering its age... looks pretty nice.
    Is it the newer MMOs that are out that just aren't like the old MMOs? Am I bored with the genre or what?
    Since it's not on the list, what about Wildstar? Still counts as "newer", a double xp week starts tomorrow in case you want to advance faster (than the already way too fast leveling :wink: ), and if you need company -based on your other thread about singleplayer feel- I think the BookClub is currently playing Wildstar besides LotRO, you can join them. If you're NA, might I add, most of them are playing on the NA server.
    Kyleran
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    As much as anything, its that MMOs aren't massive anymore and are too solo oriented...Since they decided that we all just wanted to do mindless quests by ourselves all day, that is what we've got.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    As much as anything, its that MMOs aren't massive anymore and are too solo oriented...Since they decided that we all just wanted to do mindless quests by ourselves all day, that is what we've got.
    lol....

so much for 'oh my god we cant play a dedicated mulitplayer RPG because that is nothing like an MMO where I am doing my solo quests'

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Bought FFXIV+expansion, found out couldn't join my friends cause server is locked. I dunno why a queue like most normal games couldn't be implemented, but oh well. I'd rather be in an 10 hour queue and wait all day to play than not play at all with my friends lol

Tried ESO, but the community seemed kinda meh and even joining in the past hour a big guild...I think I just can't get into ESO for some reason. It didn't help my two friends who joined with me say they probably won't continue playing it.

Keep going back over and over to WoW, but I get bored really quick cause did so much of it already and there isn't really anything to actually do in Legion except get better items...which is boring

Sort of play GW2...but it feels pointless...while chasing a tiny bit bigger piece of cheese in WoW is boring and I don't consider real content...having no point at all to do play is kinda boring too. I dunno what there is to accomplish in GW2. Plus none of my friends actually play GW2. However...PvP in GW2 is amazing.

I LOVED City of Heroes. Loved SWG. Loved Asheron's Call. Loved Saga of Ryzom (but that MMO is dead as hell, its up but literally NO ONE plays lol)...I loved warhammer online (and dark age of camelot before that)...loved Vanguard Saga of Heroes. Loved tabula rasa and auto assault. Loved anarchy online (yes its still up, yes the graphics make it unplayable for me)...none of these I got bored with even if I played them for years and years.

Sure some I can go back to (SWG is still around heh heh)...but I am a graphics snob (sort of)...I don't need the best graphics in the entire world...I just want playable semi-modern graphics lol. Going back to old blocky 3d graphics=a big fat no for me lol. 

Is it the newer MMOs that are out that just aren't like the old MMOs? Am I bored with the genre or what? 

Try Vendetta Online; a good number of people are playing it and it's pretty awesome. 

Seriously, if you're looking to Ryzom, Asheron's call etc. you owe it to yourself to check out VO.

I eagerly await your report. 

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    SEANMCAD said:
    lol....

so much for 'oh my god we cant play a dedicated mulitplayer RPG because that is nothing like an MMO where I am doing my solo quests'

Can't even understand your sentence structure...
    Kyleran
    SEANMCAD said:
    lol....

not sure I would advertise your inability to understand

That said, for today....can we not do this for once?

edited June 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    lol....

goddamnit fine.. despite my desire I WILL explain for multiple reasons.

1. many people here try to suggest that one can not compare an MMO to a dedicated server RPG style game because such games are not MMOs.
    2. They suggest that although the play style between those two types of games can be and often are remarketably similar that the key point that makes such comparisons not possible is the fact of how many people are online at once.
    3. This of course doesnt affect player experience other than the market place but I can see how one would argue that it does.
    4. HOWEVER...if most people are playing solo then that one and only one reason that is different becomes mute.

Hint: If you dont want me to enrage on this subject then dont reply with comments such as the one you did. However if you DO want me to engage in these points then by all means continue

Nyctelios said:
    I'm the same boat as OP, but with one twist: I like other genres and other games. I find no problem going back to an old game I love - or playing something new and different just to see how it is.

You should try to make a Pen and Paper RPG group with your friends and make a campaign based on the things you liked about the mmorpgs you played - I have a D&D campaign following Warcraft theme with custom rules we created and we are having a blast.
    pen and paper gaming is great!
    I should point out though if you like pen and paper experience which has around 5 people at once. You might find some of these private dedicated server games very rewarding. yes its not technically 'massive' but either is a pen and paper experience

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    I am with you nothing is appealing to me at the moment just kinda puttering around for 30 mins or so in a game then logging into something else... rinse repeat all night long.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited June 2017
    I really don't think it's about MMO's not being massive (that's only the case with certain games in the first place), so therefor they're not fun. I really don't see how one affects the other. Sure when the idea was new, the massive thing had some relevance, in that it was a new experience. Today that's about as common as the survival game or the MOBA. 

I think it's more a realization that some folks simply don't like this kind of gameplay any longer, if they ever did. Since the wonder in hundreds or more playing together is just not a special thing anymore. Hence why they make no effort in that department. If they don't have real friends playing the don't play with anyone..

Like the OP's ESO complaint. Being social is a two way street, if you're not going out of your way to play with others, you're not going to be playing with others. It really wasn't any different in my experience back in SWG or other games of that era. The only difference was folks were putting in the effort. Most likely because of the draw being all those people being around. 

Play something you enjoy stop fretting over what you don't is what I say. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 451
    Board Games my friend. Pickup a copy of Mage Knight, spend the next week studying all the rules then jump right into a solo conquest.
    Phaserlight[Deleted User]
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I think MMO's got stale because we've been there and done that. I'd try learning to code, or doing other things. I am kind of in the same boat, but i went back to my faithful, which is Path of Exile. I can always get into that game with the new leagues and the Hardcore servers, but I can't see myself getting involved in any MMO. I tied with DF age of agon, that lasted a week, and then i realized i didn't really want to play it. 

I am also 76,000 words on my novel though :)

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
    edited June 2017
    Distopia said:
    I really don't think it's about MMO's not being massive (that's only the case with certain games in the first place), so therefor they're not fun. I really don't see how one affects the other. Sure when the idea was new, the massive thing had some relevance, in that it was a new experience. Today that's about as common as the survival game or the MOBA. 

I think it's more a realization that some folks simply don't like this kind of gameplay any longer, if they ever did. Since the wonder in hundreds or more playing together is just not a special thing anymore. Hence why they make no effort in that department. If they don't have real friends playing the don't play with anyone..

Like the OP's ESO complaint. Being social is a two way street, if you're not going out of your way to play with others, you're not going to be playing with others. It really wasn't any different in my experience back in SWG or other games of that era. The only difference was folks were putting in the effort. Most likely because of the draw being all those people being around. 

Play something you enjoy stop fretting over what you don't is what I say. 
    its compounded by the fact that the some of the suggestions in this thread include board games and table top RPGs both of which will have less people than an MMO, let alone less people than a dedicated private server

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nyctelios said:
    I'm the same boat as OP, but with one twist: I like other genres and other games. I find no problem going back to an old game I love - or playing something new and different just to see how it is.

You should try to make a Pen and Paper RPG group with your friends and make a campaign based on the things you liked about the mmorpgs you played - I have a D&D campaign following Warcraft theme with custom rules we created and we are having a blast.
    I should point out though if you like pen and paper experience which has around 5 people at once. You might find some of these private dedicated server games very rewarding. yes its not technically 'massive' but either is a pen and paper experience
    My issue with these smaller multiplayer games has less to do about number of players (more is better IMO) but rather is one of persistence or lack thereof.

I'm currently playing on a private DAOC freeshard that probably has more players online than the live servers.

As this team ran version 1 for almost 12 years non stop before taking a 2 yr break to reset everything back to core 1.69 I figure odds are good they'll be around at least another 5 years.

Which is probably when CU will finally launch so all good. ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited June 2017
    Kyleran said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nyctelios said:

My issue with these smaller multiplayer games has less to do about number of players (more is better IMO) but rather is one of persistence or lack thereof.

I'm currently playing on a private DAOC freeshard that probably has more players online than the live servers.

As this team ran version 1 for almost 12 years non stop before taking a 2 yr break to reset everything back to core 1.69 I figure odds are good they'll be around at least another 5 years.

that doesnt hold water and let me explain why.

stats in these private servers are persistent. The only things that are at a risk of being lost are things you cant even do in an MMO in the first place, like build bases farms etc.

there is that and basically that I just dont believe the reasons. I think people just fish to make up reasons because for whatever reason they are basically afraid to give it a shot. I know that sounds negative and is but I am trying to be as honest as I can while at the same time be as polite about it at least in effort.

It could also be that these games are too hard? I dont think so but that is possible as well.

A PERFECT game to use as an example of this conversation I think would be Life is Feudal

• rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 371
    Op' we are so in same boat almost as if i wrote it myself , I just upgraded my pc and can't find mmorpg to play , I can't play stormblood because my friends server is locked too so I didn't buy it , legion is boring , I was hoping vanilla server would be out by now but that's never gonna happen, I'm just gonna play my vr games and mobas for the foreseeable future , mmorpg are dying a slow painful death
    rush1984 said:
    Op' we are so in same boat almost as if i wrote it myself , I just upgraded my pc and can't find mmorpg to play , I can't play stormblood because my friends server is locked too so I didn't buy it , legion is boring , I was hoping vanilla server would be out by now but that's never gonna happen, I'm just gonna play my vr games and mobas for the foreseeable future , mmorpg are dying a slow painful death
    yes they are

and to be honest, its good to move on. There are a lot of exciting things happening in gaming right now (like the best ever in my view) but not in the MMO area and I doubt it will change in the near future.

• DrDread74DrDread74 Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Theres a million games out there. Try something different. I went from League of Legends for years to For Honor for months To PlayerUnknowns battlegrounds (Curent Hottness) all while making my own browser based MMO style game.

Break out of your mold =)

http://baronsofthegalaxy.com/
     An MMO game I created, solo. It's live now and absolutely free to play!
  • JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249
    If you never played TSW and willing to enjoy a great story driven game, on 26th will be lunch the f2p version with a "improved" combat system, the combat was allways poor imo.
    The Secret World was allways a unique mmorpg, really worth the experience during some time, solo or with a few friends.

Is not what i usually loking for but the story and envoriment is amazing.

Try it on 26th, its free now anyway.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kyleran said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nyctelios said:

that doesnt hold water and let me explain why.

stats in these private servers are persistent. The only things that are at a risk of being lost are things you cant even do in an MMO in the first place, like build bases farms etc.

there is that and basically that I just dont believe the reasons. I think people just fish to make up reasons because for whatever reason they are basically afraid to give it a shot. I know that sounds negative and is but I am trying to be as honest as I can while at the same time be as polite about it at least in effort.

It could also be that these games are too hard? I dont think so but that is possible as well.

A PERFECT game to use as an example of this conversation I think would be Life is Feudal

Perhaps I need to clairify. My concern with private server games is with the persistence of the game world / server itself.

Company run servers generally have shown greater persistence but I realise there are many notable exceptions.

The EVE universe I joined 10 years ago still exists today, as does Im sure my first home in WOW, Kel Thuzad which I was part of from 2004 to 2006.

My characters and progress still exist, but private servers appear to have much less longevity.

In fact most  company run servers in survival titles appear to wipe regularly in order to try and keep them fresh.

You often bring LIF into these conversations, interestingly enough I am considering playing this game.

Of course, only the MMORPG version, after it comes out of EA and is fully released. I may wave the 6 months post release requirement and I believe they plan on having a non Steam version.

Yes, some players do have their reasons for not playing other genres or EA titles and though you may feel they are contrived in my case I know exactly what I enjoy.

If I had no options I might be more flexible, but I am content with the two MMORPGs I like currently, and have hope for CU, LIF and others.

Oh yeah, playing the role of the cranky old "bittervet" well suits me...because its true! 

Cheers. B)

Phaserlight

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon