Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need tech advice pls

NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392
I recently upgraded my system to a i5-7600k cpu and a Z270x-UD3 mobo. It runs great, but the cpu temp spikes up to 73c when playing games. It idles at 32 - 35 c. I know the Tjmax on the cpu is 100c, but low 70's have me worried. Is that normal for the 7600k ? 
I'm running an after market cpu cooler and 6 case fans, so it shouldn't be an air flow issue.

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Low 70s under heavy load isn't a big deal.
    laxie
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    edited June 2017
    You could run a stress test (the Intel Utility has one) and see how quickly your temperature goes up. When I had a cooler issue, it got to TJmax in under 15 seconds - not something you want to happen.

If it never reaches TJmax or takes very long, you can conclude it's a safe setup. The stress test puts your CPU into it's highest performance for a constant period of time, something you're unlikely to experience in any game.
  • 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719
    edited June 2017
    That is an awesome temperature without delidding the cpu. 

You can't get low temps with most newer intel cpus even with $500+ custom water cooling setups due to the extremely cheap and bad paste between the actual chip and the heat spreader.
    Gdemami
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Normal.
  • NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Thank you for the responses, all. I appreciate the input.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Intel's current cpus run very hot, but the chips are designed that way.  The I7 7700 runs hotter than that and I have seen many people freak out over the temperatures, but it is to be expected.

Only time will tell if this shortens the life on the chips.
    edited June 2017
    Ozmodan said:
    Intel's current cpus run very hot, but the chips are designed that way.  The I7 7700 runs hotter than that and I have seen many people freak out over the temperatures, but it is to be expected.

They're not designed like that per se, everyone who has delidded their 7700/k 7600/k has gotten ~20 degrees less under load (some over 20 as well with the thermal grizzly liquid metal paste and with an already beefy cooling system)

Gdemami
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    13lake said:
    Ozmodan said:

They're not designed like that per se, everyone who has delidded their 7700/k 7600/k has gotten ~20 degrees less under load (some over 20 as well with the thermal grizzly liquid metal paste and with an already beefy cooling system)

Like anyone is going to delid their cpu chip!

edited June 2017
    Like anyone is not going to delid, der8auer can't keep up with production of delid-die-mate.

You would be suprised how many enthusiasts, and regular people alike have delidded their cpus.
    Not with razors of course, but with small machines like delid-die-mate which are ~90% safe.
    A lot of people have even tricked intel/seller for warranty after delidding by keeping the same silicon glue, or getting one that looks the same and just regluing the heat spreader :)
    Gdemami
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I can kinda understand where Intel is coming from:

The crap they are using now is "good enough" - it just needs to maintain below TJMax at full TDP output, with either the included stock cooler or "typical" cooling that would be used on the CPU, while in "typical" case environment and ambient temperature. That is the bare minimum to keep the CPU from throttling.

Past that, Intel isn't guaranteeing your CPU will overclock to any level past stock clock, and never has, so they don't really care that they are limiting OC headroom all that much.

With regard to thermal degradation, Intel does guarantee that your CPU won't break due to temperature degradation (or any other manufacturer's defect) for at least 3 years, isn't all that bad... Sure, a CPU typically will last a lot longer than that, but I don't have any data on exactly what the effects of running a CPU at 90C vs 70C vs 50C are with regard to longevity; I've never had a CPU fail without due cause (either physically damaged, electrically damaged due to faulty motherboard/PSU, or directly attributable to an incorrect overclock). I've got some P3's and P4's that have been running 24/7 for ... some as long as 14+ years now, in industrial settings where they are running pretty warm.

Sure, I would like to see Intel do something better with their heat spreader. But for most people, what they are doing now is more than adequate. Odds are, if you needed something better, your of the ilk that is going to have the technical and financial capability to delid in the first place.