Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Was all ready to pledge after the stream, then I looked at the pledge page...

Comments

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Renoaku said:
    BruceYee said:
    Renoaku said:
    ragz45 said:
    I was ready to drop $100 after the stream today, thinking that it was a pretty decent pledge.  Then I look at the pledge page, and it's one of the lowest packages there is.  Packages range from 50, 100, 150, 250, 300, 500, 1k+.  This isn't really unusual among kickstarters, but what got me was what was offered at the different tiers, and then on top of that, what the most popular tier was.  $1,000 being the most popular pledge tier.

For 1 grand or more, you don't even get a lifetime sub, you get 6 months.  Not only can I not help but wonder who's got a grand to drop on a game that's still in alpha, but I'm astounded by the fact that this is the most popular pledge tier.  Maybe I'm just old, but I can remember when you bought a game for $50-60  and then had a $15 sub on top of that, and that was all.  Now we're expected to drop a grand on a game that's still in development, in the hopes that we like the end product?

I mean, assuming $15 a month for a sub, and a $60 box price.  It would take me 5 years to pay a grand in box+ sub fees.  And people are dropping a grand left and right on this game?  I really don't understand what gamer culture has come to if this is the case.  The microtransaction shops that infest games are bad enough (can remember when games supported themselves on subs alone), but this is just crazy.

As much as I really enjoyed the stream, and really admire what Visionary Realms is doing, I would have to be insane to drop a grand on the game instead of putting that money in my child's college fund, or my own retirement fund.  I understand that VR is trying to make the game without having to cow down to suits telling them what to do, and that's why they are seeking crowdfunding, but at this point it just feels like rape.  Maybe if we got to see some dividend returns after the game is released and making money, making the pledges more of an investment in something you believe in.  But as it is now, it just feels like Brad and team are just going to be laughing all the way to the bank once the game is released.  

And, yes I know, "If i don't like it, don't pledge".  But that's the real rub, I do like it, and I wanted to pledge something.  But at this point it feels like if i'm not pledging a grand, I may as well just not pledge at all.
    Should have pledged to Ashes OF Creation instead $500 for a Lifetime Subscription.
    Or CU's Lifetime Sub for $275 since we're in the mood to recommend games that may or may not ever be released...
    Ah im pretty sure "Ashes OF Creation" will likely be released unless that was a total big scam which I doubt it shows more promise than the first pledge Albion I backed in 2013 and it took them like 4 years and they came out with really nothing new...

But what game is CU for $275 I might want to take a look at that?
    CU = Camelot Unchained.

Albion max pledge was/is $100 and is launching next month + has had playable beta for many years. If you haven't tried Albion recently you might want to before going off impressions from 3 years ago like I did some time ago because it has improved greatly.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    BruceYee said:
    Renoaku said:
    BruceYee said:
    Renoaku said:
    ragz45 said:
    I was ready to drop $100 after the stream today, thinking that it was a pretty decent pledge.  Then I look at the pledge page, and it's one of the lowest packages there is.  Packages range from 50, 100, 150, 250, 300, 500, 1k+.  This isn't really unusual among kickstarters, but what got me was what was offered at the different tiers, and then on top of that, what the most popular tier was.  $1,000 being the most popular pledge tier.

For 1 grand or more, you don't even get a lifetime sub, you get 6 months.  Not only can I not help but wonder who's got a grand to drop on a game that's still in alpha, but I'm astounded by the fact that this is the most popular pledge tier.  Maybe I'm just old, but I can remember when you bought a game for $50-60  and then had a $15 sub on top of that, and that was all.  Now we're expected to drop a grand on a game that's still in development, in the hopes that we like the end product?

I mean, assuming $15 a month for a sub, and a $60 box price.  It would take me 5 years to pay a grand in box+ sub fees.  And people are dropping a grand left and right on this game?  I really don't understand what gamer culture has come to if this is the case.  The microtransaction shops that infest games are bad enough (can remember when games supported themselves on subs alone), but this is just crazy.

As much as I really enjoyed the stream, and really admire what Visionary Realms is doing, I would have to be insane to drop a grand on the game instead of putting that money in my child's college fund, or my own retirement fund.  I understand that VR is trying to make the game without having to cow down to suits telling them what to do, and that's why they are seeking crowdfunding, but at this point it just feels like rape.  Maybe if we got to see some dividend returns after the game is released and making money, making the pledges more of an investment in something you believe in.  But as it is now, it just feels like Brad and team are just going to be laughing all the way to the bank once the game is released.  

And, yes I know, "If i don't like it, don't pledge".  But that's the real rub, I do like it, and I wanted to pledge something.  But at this point it feels like if i'm not pledging a grand, I may as well just not pledge at all.
    Should have pledged to Ashes OF Creation instead $500 for a Lifetime Subscription.
    Or CU's Lifetime Sub for $275 since we're in the mood to recommend games that may or may not ever be released...
    Ah im pretty sure "Ashes OF Creation" will likely be released unless that was a total big scam which I doubt it shows more promise than the first pledge Albion I backed in 2013 and it took them like 4 years and they came out with really nothing new...

CU = Camelot Unchained.

Albion max pledge was/is $100 and is launching next month + has had playable beta for many years. If you haven't tried Albion recently you might want to before going off impressions from 3 years ago like I did some time ago because it has improved greatly.
    Ah yeah Camelot Unchained, yeah i was looking at this one before, but I am not exactly sure if its worth backing or playing though I can't seem to find many videos, and what I find looks really unpolished compared to "Ashes OF Creation" or "Crow Fall" for that matter, although I am not entirely sure about "Crow Fall anymore" after backing $1000 into the game but we will see how the development goes on these.

I am not sure what to think about "Camelot Unchained & Pantheon" though?

You only get Lifetime VIP if you purchase the $10,000 package or the $1000 package?

https://pantheonmmo.com/join/ 

As for Albion, I played this game since 2013, in Early Alpha, the most fun I ever had was "PVP" and Full Loot, but between the Alpha Tests between 2013, and 2017 the game has declined a lot and became more "Care-Bear" so to speak, along with many development changes such as "Food" which in my eyes makes no sense to why the developers did what they did and made the changes they did to the game in the first place, and this is talking just game-play wise, not including the amount of fraud, and my banned account from Albion being accused of purchasing currency by them, when I traded items between two different games which I didn't know was wrong at that time.

And also Albion for being in Development for like 4 years IMO doesn't feel like they have gotten much done at all.

. Bad Character Models still (Dark Fall has better ones.)
    . Put in food system for feeding merchants As a cheap way to make sure inactive buildings expire.
    . Removed much of the housing from the original Alpha Tests.
    . Removed Resource Transmutes the ability to change higher tier resources to lower tiers.
    . Removed Zerging, and display Zergs on the maps? (Like really?)
    . Has a gold to silver exchange that can be used for "Fraud"
    . Customer Service that doesn't review things you send them.
    . The ability to buy and sell Albion keys illegally with stolen information rather than applying the directly to ones account that its purchased from.

Personally I loved the Original Alpha / Game, but watching this game in development for 4 years playing it on and off I wonder what they did with 4 years of time they should have been making a great game but yet it turned out worse than "Dark Fall" in the end.

Just doesn't look to me like the dev team of Albion really did anything within 4 years, but I am now looking forward to "Ashes OF Creation" and "Crow Fall" Possibly looking to pick up Pantheon or some other game, not sure yet
    BruceYee
    Renoaku said:
    BruceYee said:
    Renoaku said:
    BruceYee said:
    Renoaku said:
    ragz45 said:

CU = Camelot Unchained.

Ah yeah Camelot Unchained, yeah i was looking at this one before, but I am not exactly sure if its worth backing or playing though I can't seem to find many videos, and what I find looks really unpolished compared to "Ashes OF Creation" or "Crow Fall" for that matter, although I am not entirely sure about "Crow Fall anymore" after backing $1000 into the game but we will see how the development goes on these.

I am not sure what to think about "Camelot Unchained & Pantheon" though?

You only get Lifetime VIP if you purchase the $10,000 package or the $1000 package?

https://pantheonmmo.com/join/ 

As for Albion, I played this game since 2013, in Early Alpha, the most fun I ever had was "PVP" and Full Loot, but between the Alpha Tests between 2013, and 2017 the game has declined a lot and became more "Care-Bear" so to speak, along with many development changes such as "Food" which in my eyes makes no sense to why the developers did what they did and made the changes they did to the game in the first place, and this is talking just game-play wise, not including the amount of fraud, and my banned account from Albion being accused of purchasing currency by them, when I traded items between two different games which I didn't know was wrong at that time.

And also Albion for being in Development for like 4 years IMO doesn't feel like they have gotten much done at all.

. Bad Character Models still (Dark Fall has better ones.)
    . Put in food system for feeding merchants As a cheap way to make sure inactive buildings expire.
    . Removed much of the housing from the original Alpha Tests.
    . Removed Resource Transmutes the ability to change higher tier resources to lower tiers.
    . Removed Zerging, and display Zergs on the maps? (Like really?)
    . Has a gold to silver exchange that can be used for "Fraud"
    . Customer Service that doesn't review things you send them.
    . The ability to buy and sell Albion keys illegally with stolen information rather than applying the directly to ones account that its purchased from.

Personally I loved the Original Alpha / Game, but watching this game in development for 4 years playing it on and off I wonder what they did with 4 years of time they should have been making a great game but yet it turned out worse than "Dark Fall" in the end.

Just doesn't look to me like the dev team of Albion really did anything within 4 years, but I am now looking forward to "Ashes OF Creation" and "Crow Fall" Possibly looking to pick up Pantheon or some other game, not sure yet
    I agree with most of what you said but it is actually releasing next month which is rare for an MMO these days even if it isn't the greatest. The care bear part is needed though to cater to casual players otherwise you end up with a very niche hardcore pvp playerbase game that is destined to fail, The Exiled is a good example of that. I'm confident Albion will make the appropriate changes to keep the $ flowing in which means they can't dish out too much junk otherwise people will leave.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

svann said:

Well everyone else is doing it.  Whats wrong with you?
    /s

Most gamers are sheep, that's one thing we know for sure.

I've been scammed by an early access game before. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

This is playing out almost exactly the same way. There must be a formula these indie devs pass around to each other. Pledges are just testing grounds to determine how easily fans can be manipulated.

New monetization hooks incoming...

BruceYee said:
    Renoaku said:
    BruceYee said:
    Renoaku said:
    ragz45 said:

CU = Camelot Unchained.

He can't give Albion a try.  Because he got caught cheating in the beta and got banned.  Before he writes another wall of text of mental gymnastics.  The developer has called him out on it on this very forum.
    BruceYee said:
    Renoaku said:
    BruceYee said:
    Renoaku said:
    ragz45 said:

CU = Camelot Unchained.

He can't give Albion a try.  Because he got caught cheating in the beta and got banned.  Before he writes another wall of text of mental gymnastics.  The developer has called him out on it on this very forum.
    Isn't he the #1 guy on this forum against anti-cheat programs and he got caught cheating? Dats sum trippy stuff right there.

MrMelGibson
    BruceYee said:
    BruceYee said:
    Renoaku said:
    BruceYee said:
    Renoaku said:
    ragz45 said:

CU = Camelot Unchained.

Isn't he the #1 guy on this forum against anti-cheat programs and he got caught cheating? Dats sum trippy stuff right there.

Yes, he is always on a crusade about anti-cheat software.  Seems exactly like something a cheater/hacker would do.
  • IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304
    They use to beg u to beta test games : /
    Ishkal said:
    They use to beg u to beta test games : /
    And now they know people will gladly pay for it.  Can't say I blame them.
    Octagon7711
    edited June 2017
    Actually the developer who responded here never proved anything of me cheating, or hacking in the Albion Online, the only proof they had which was really nothing was me talking to a person and accepting a trade in the game (Which was not cheating.) What got me banned from the game which I still say shouldn't have at least not for life is "Trading" across two different games which was a violation of the game rules, but I did not know this was illegal or I never would have trade across two different games. Given my account had (Zero Infractions) in 4 years, they should not have perm-banned it for a minor violation during testing like this. There are other players in this game who are more toxic to others even in chat which is far worse than accepting a trade in game.

However the developer, and Albion team insists that I paid Real Money for some in game currency, but they can't prove this, although I can prove more than what that developer can.

Also its not that I can't play Albion, I can get as many prepaid debit cards as I want to change my IP Address I got a million of them and make a new account, its that I am not going to bother with such a company that choose to backstab a 3-4 year backer On the first offense of anything done wrong in 4 years No previous infractions.

But still my point is that "Albion" as a sand-box game could have been something more than what it is right now although, comparing that to pantheon, I bet that even Pantheon Online, is a better game than Albion will be.

BruceYee said:

To be clear I hate "Hackers" or rather "Cheaters" when I talk about cheating, I am not talking about trading or buying gold, but people who intentionally use 3rd party programs hacks, or exploits to cheat in a game. I am not against "Anti Cheats" I am however against "Xing Code" and "Game Guard" because both these are installed without asking permission, and don't uninstall with the game once its removed from your computer.

With this said in short, I am fine with Reputable Anti-Cheats like Battleye and Easy Anti Cheat, both of these ask consent, and customer service will provide you with instructions on how to uninstall /remove them if you no longer want it on your computer, obviously if you play a game that requires it, then it will ask you to install it again. This doesn't include the "XingCode" that damaged my "Android device", completely ruined it and modified files without consent.

As far as Denuvo, I think its clearly obvious why I don't buy games with it.

. Can slow down certain games
    . Takes up more resources
    . They got their own database compromised
    . They used illegally licensed software until they came to some sort of settlement from what I read.

For those who think I still cheat online games feel free to take a look here.

http://imgur.com/a/7DVJM

. Proof my Gold Purchases came from "Sandbox Interactive" not 3rd parties at least not for real money.

. Proof I had an account since 2013 with "Sandbox Interactive".

. Proof that I have both "Battleye" and "Easy Anti Cheat" installed on my computer (so I am not against anti-cheats that are reputable.

. Proof I have not been "VAC Banned" from any of the 200+ games I have on steam since 2005.

If this doesn't show enough that I don't cheat online games then that is your choice of what you choose to believe.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    There is one thing I am strictly against though and that is lies, and its not so much just the fact of receive a actual ban from a game for the first time in over 17 years I think, its the principle that I had an account in  good standing for 4 years put in nearly $200, and then got an account ban, and it really does piss me off that developers steep as low as banning a user and accusing them of buying gold when they can't be 100% sure because obviously they have no logs of me talking about buying gold in game or anything.

And also speaking about lies, its not because I am a cheater I hate the two biggest anti-cheats used in Korean games, its because they violate privacy of people, and not everyone agrees with that, I do however understand and know that both "Game Guard & Xing Code are easy to bypass and cheat anyways because I have seen lots of people from seeing online forum posts that do.

Edit: and speaking about such Anti-Cheats, I doubt "Pantheon", Ashes OF Creation, Crow Fall, will use any type of Anti- Cheats like "Game Guard" or Rootkits that are malicious, I could be wrong, but I expect them to go with something more reputable, or something made by their own company which is cool by me.

DistopiaBeezerbeez
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    BruceYee said:
    BruceYee said:
    Renoaku said:
    BruceYee said:
    Renoaku said:
    ragz45 said:

CU = Camelot Unchained.

Yes, he is always on a crusade about anti-cheat software.  Seems exactly like something a cheater/hacker would do.
    Also in spite of his laundry list of complaints about the game it seems there's nothing he would like more than be permitted to rejoin and play it again.
    MrMelGibsonDistopia

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Renoaku said:
    Actually the developer who responded here never proved anything of me cheating, or hacking in the Albion Online, the only proof they had which was really nothing was me talking to a person and accepting a trade in the game (Which was not cheating.) What got me banned from the game which I still say shouldn't have at least not for life is "Trading" across two different games which was a violation of the game rules, but I did not know this was illegal or I never would have trade across two different games. Given my account had (Zero Infractions) in 4 years, they should not have perm-banned it for a minor violation during testing like this. There are other players in this game who are more toxic to others even in chat which is far worse than accepting a trade in game.

However the developer, and Albion team insists that I paid Real Money for some in game currency, but they can't prove this, although I can prove more than what that developer can.

Also its not that I can't play Albion, I can get as many prepaid debit cards as I want to change my IP Address I got a million of them and make a new account, its that I am not going to bother with such a company that choose to backstab a 3-4 year backer On the first offense of anything done wrong in 4 years No previous infractions.

But still my point is that "Albion" as a sand-box game could have been something more than what it is right now although, comparing that to pantheon, I bet that even Pantheon Online, is a better game than Albion will be.

BruceYee said:

To be clear I hate "Hackers" or rather "Cheaters" when I talk about cheating, I am not talking about trading or buying gold, but people who intentionally use 3rd party programs hacks, or exploits to cheat in a game. I am not against "Anti Cheats" I am however against "Xing Code" and "Game Guard" because both these are installed without asking permission, and don't uninstall with the game once its removed from your computer.

With this said in short, I am fine with Reputable Anti-Cheats like Battleye and Easy Anti Cheat, both of these ask consent, and customer service will provide you with instructions on how to uninstall /remove them if you no longer want it on your computer, obviously if you play a game that requires it, then it will ask you to install it again. This doesn't include the "XingCode" that damaged my "Android device", completely ruined it and modified files without consent.

. They used illegally licensed software until they came to some sort of settlement from what I read.

. Proof my Gold Purchases came from "Sandbox Interactive" not 3rd parties at least not for real money.

. Proof that I have both "Battleye" and "Easy Anti Cheat" installed on my computer (so I am not against anti-cheats that are reputable.

. Proof I have not been "VAC Banned" from any of the 200+ games I have on steam since 2005.

If this doesn't show enough that I don't cheat online games then that is your choice of what you choose to believe.
    There is one thing I am strictly against though and that is lies, and its not so much just the fact of receive a actual ban from a game for the first time in over 17 years I think, its the principle that I had an account in  good standing for 4 years put in nearly $200, and then got an account ban, and it really does piss me off that developers steep as low as banning a user and accusing them of buying gold when they can't be 100% sure because obviously they have no logs of me talking about buying gold in game or anything.

And also speaking about lies, its not because I am a cheater I hate the two biggest anti-cheats used in Korean games, its because they violate privacy of people, and not everyone agrees with that, I do however understand and know that both "Game Guard & Xing Code are easy to bypass and cheat anyways because I have seen lots of people from seeing online forum posts that do.

Edit: and speaking about such Anti-Cheats, I doubt "Pantheon", Ashes OF Creation, Crow Fall, will use any type of Anti- Cheats like "Game Guard" or Rootkits that are malicious, I could be wrong, but I expect them to go with something more reputable, or something made by their own company which is cool by me.

Game companies don't even really need a reason to ban. I get it though about the shady extra programs cause I was re-downloading LOTRO for the X time a while ago and one of the other programs it required me to dl gave me a virus. Also today for some reason while re-downloading Battlerite a privacy policy(not T&C) agreement popped up that basically said they can re-sell my non-personal info, gave a huge list of info they were gonna take from my system and I had to agree in order to play which is not cool considering I bought the game a long time ago.
  • OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034
    edited June 2017
    I don't know if this was pointed out in these 7 pages, but the term used on the $1k pledge isn't "most popular" but "top seller", which doesn't have to mean it has more backers. Might as well be that however many $1k backers there are have made that tier bring in more funding than any other single tier.

Know what I mean? For example, if there are 5 backers at the $1,000 tier, then none of the other tiers have single-handedly reached more than $5,000.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • MrkuikenMrkuiken Member UncommonPosts: 33
    ragz45 said:

To be fair, Pantheon changed there pledges overtime since Kickstarter (last 2 years).
    And took out the most popular pledges when the limit (Like alpha invites, Lifetime subs) have reached. 
    At the begin you could had got way more Pledges started with 20, 25, 35, 45, 55, 60, 75, 85, 100 bucks
    And could get Alpha access with the 45 bucks pledge and a Lifetime Sub with 250 bucks pledge.
    Here is a overview of the old pledges. And yes I know Kickstarter has failed but they honored every pledge after kickstarter true there website. 

Octagon7711jpedrote52
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Renoaku said:

BruceYee said:

So let me get this straight. You're linking images of your email where you are getting in game gold and saying its coming from Sandbox Interactive which is fine I know they sell gold on their webpage. 

What is highly suspicious is that the emails below those gold ones saying Galahad is coming is from Albion Online. Your gold emails are from Albiononline.....(meaning theres more you arent showing) so unless sandbox interactive is using a different email account to tell you your gold is ready and they happen to punctuate differently then congrats on giving further proof that the devs made the right choice.

Your probably one of those people in a game caught speed hacking or attacking a level 1 invincible item (I'm looking at you Vanguard port stones...RIP) and then when the GM burns your ass for cheating you come up with all manner of excuses. 

Just accept you fucked up, accept the posts mocking you since you kinda deserve it with a smile on your face and move on.

MrMelGibsonKyleran
    edited June 2017
    Kefo said:
    So let me get this straight. You're linking images of your email where you are getting in game gold and saying its coming from Sandbox Interactive which is fine I know they sell gold on their webpage. 

What is highly suspicious is that the emails below those gold ones saying Galahad is coming is from Albion Online. Your gold emails are from Albiononline.....(meaning theres more you arent showing) so unless sandbox interactive is using a different email account to tell you your gold is ready and they happen to punctuate differently then congrats on giving further proof that the devs made the right choice.

Your probably one of those people in a game caught speed hacking or attacking a level 1 invincible item (I'm looking at you Vanguard port stones...RIP) and then when the GM burns your ass for cheating you come up with all manner of excuses. 

Just accept you fucked up, accept the posts mocking you since you kinda deserve it with a smile on your face and move on.

Hey thanks I understand some people are in doubt but will try to clear this up here.

. Basically I used the search function of my "Yahoo Mail" to take a screen cap of the purchases I did with "Albion Online" or "Sandbox Interactive" these are the only purchases where I paid "Real Money" to make a few small transactions in game, and the only source which I would legally buy my gold, or currency from, including in other games such as "EVE" "WOW Tokens" and "Arche Age" All these games have legitimate ways to buy gold or currency with real money from the company.

. No I wasn't speed hacking, nor would I hack even if I could or knew how, Sure if the developers wanted me to test hacks, or cheats, I would ask their permission first, and do it in a testing server with them (Never at any point would I use a 3rd party speed hack) even if the game doesn't have an Anti Cheat or could be cheated easily.

So to clear up what my account was banned for here you go.
    http://imgur.com/a/1A8i7

. Basically they say I purchased currency outside of their game, or using an illegal 3rd party for Real Money, I understand from their view it could look like this, because what I did still violated the rule which says you can't exchange in game items or currency, across two different games, or for Real Life favors or anything outside of the game. I was never aware of this and a couple of friends from a game I quit offered me currency in Albion for Items and stuff in the other game Truthfully if I were aware this was illegal I would not have done it.

But I find it very hard to believe that the developers of this game would Life-Time ban a user for making such a mistake during a beta test, and I can say for certain, that if the developer or someone actually lifted my ban I would not get banned again for breaking the exchanging across game rules again, or buying currency (Unless its currency from Sandbox Interactive.)

After all they are wiping the game again, so me buying real currency for money wouldn't make any sense now would it?

And on top of this one, 
    I find putting my faith blindly in a small indie company based out of Germany is obviously not something I should have done especially with Developers who are going to ban for this reason, even though I admit it was my fault missing this part of the rules. Most companies would not ban for any first offense even if a user did buy currency illegally.

https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/40929-Account-ban-and-suspension-recap/ This here is also their warning to players not to purchase currency, at no point does it say I can't exchange across two different games, or for Real Life favors and so on, and this is what I was following.

MrMelGibsonjpedrote52Distopia
    Kefo said:
    Renoaku said:

BruceYee said:

He won't.  He will just keep writing huge walls of text repeating the same nonsense.  I've never seen such cognitive dissonance on this forum.  It's actually kind of sad how he is just incapable of taking responsibility for his actions.
    KyleranMendelDistopia
  • Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    Renoaku said:

I've seen "several" games sell lifetime subs, only to go F2P after just a few months.

Offering lifetime subs should be a huge red flag for an up-front cash grab. Either the company is planning on transitioning to a cash shop model or they simply are not planning long term.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    edited June 2017
    Renoaku said:

I've seen "several" games sell lifetime subs, only to go F2P after just a few months.

Offering lifetime subs should be a huge red flag for an up-front cash grab. Either the company is planning on transitioning to a cash shop model or they simply are not planning long term.

I dunno. LotRO lifetime sub was/is the best investment I ever made. I never had to spend a dime on the game and I get cash shop money every month to use in their store. If I would have skipped the lifetime sub, I would have spent at least 10x what I have to date.

As as long as the game survives, it's a great investment.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Renoaku said:

I dunno. LotRO lifetime sub was/is the best investment I ever made. I never had to spend a dime on the game and I get cash shop money every month to use in their store. If I would have skipped the lifetime sub, I would have spent at least 10x what I have to date.

Also assuming you still want to play it.

I quit about 60 days post launch and never went back.

Lifetime in EVE, now that would have been a value.

waynejr2

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Kyleran said:
    Renoaku said:

Goonswarm would just love life time subs in EvE.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Kefo said:
    Renoaku said:

BruceYee said:

He won't.  He will just keep writing huge walls of text repeating the same nonsense.  I've never seen such cognitive dissonance on this forum.  It's actually kind of sad how he is just incapable of taking responsibility for his actions.
    Oh I know but wanted to see if they would actually say anything about ratting themselves out but nope just another wall of text
    MrMelGibson
  • Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    I really don't think there are that many people willing to drop $1K + for an unfinished product, but then again there are people willing to drop $495 for a pair of crappy shoes.  Part of the problem here with people claiming they're willing to "invest" that much in a game is that they will become complete shills for their game.  We're already too polarized.
    Kyleran
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Kyleran said:
    Renoaku said:

Well, yeah. Obviously.

LotRO was a great investment for me. Now I also have a lifetime in The Secret World and that was a complete waste of money.

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Well, yeah. Obviously.

LotRO was a great investment for me. Now I also have a lifetime in The Secret World and that was a complete waste of money.
    So we can all agree that when considering a lfietime sub, there's at least two risks involved:

A)  Will the game survive long enough for the life time sub to be worth it?

B)  Will you enjoy the game long enough for the lifetime sub to be worth it?

However, with kickstarter/crowdfunding MMOs, we can add a third very important risk.

C)  Will the game actually come out in the first place?

Two factors is already risky enough.  Even you, postlarval, are only 50/50 when it comes to success with lifetime subs as you've stated (LOTR = win, Secret World = fail).  Now think about how much riskier it is when there's no guarantee the game will even come out.  And that's before tacking on other potential ones like "Will you still care about the game at that point?" or heck, even "Will you still have your life at that point?" considering how long it takes crowdfunded MMOs to come out (so far there's been like, one that has.  Shroud of the Avatar.  And it's not a very impressive showing)
    postlarval