Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stormblood Launch Issues Blamed on Ongoing DDoS Attack - Final Fantasy XIV - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageStormblood Launch Issues Blamed on Ongoing DDoS Attack - Final Fantasy XIV - MMORPG.com

Final Fantasy XIV News - According to a new post on the Final Fantasy XIV site, it appears that the rocky launch of Stormblood came as a result of a third party DDoS attacks that are still underway. The team has been trying to get on top of the attack, but the methods have been changing at nearly every moment.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DXSinsDXSins Member UncommonPosts: 324
    ...I liked the responses from Yoshida more on the issues, like with too many people queuing for instances at once causing issues.

This just reads the easy scapegoat PR use all the time to push blame off themselves because they wasn't ready for the success of their launch...
    Viper482
  • saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    another fail launch and DDoS excuse

blame DDoS for your crappy servers that cant handle players at expansion day
    its getting more and more popular :)
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Probably blizzard or some wow basement dweelller fan boy upset 3/4 of his guild left to play this game.

KalebGrayson[Deleted User]ReizlaAzaron_Nightblade
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800

saurus123 said:

They're making a criminal charge. There's real world consequences for something like this.
  • kanechartkanechart Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Wish I was this smart when I was a kid. Sorry my dog ate my homework.

SNIP

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    If by DDOS they mean the AFK exploit, then sure, DDOS it is.
  • brasenhellbrasenhell Member CommonPosts: 2
    I like how everyone is calling it an excuse. Meanwhile, FFXIV is working fine now. I remember WoW taking weeks to fix when WoD dropped.
    Viper482
  • AgnharAgnhar Member UncommonPosts: 108
    edited June 2017
    Just to clear the air, they mean the LAUNCH meaning yesterday 6/20/2017 they don't mean EARLY ACCESS. There was a bunch of problems 1 hour before the programmed emergency maintenance which where apparently caused by DDoS. Early Access issues where simply caused by the overwhelming amount of players wanting to play FFXIV which i'm guessing surpassed what the devs estimated.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    Has FFXIV ever had a smooth launch of anything?
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    How many games have you played that had smooth launches?
    Gobstopper3D
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503

Agnhar said:

Just to clear the air, they mean the LAUNCH meaning yesterday 6/20/2017 they don't mean EARLY ACCESS. There was a bunch of problems 1 hour before the programmed emergency maintenance which where apparently caused by DDoS. Early Access issues where simply caused by the overwhelming amount of players wanting to play FFXIV which i'm guessing surpassed what the devs estimated.

We have confirmed that since Jun. 16th, we have been experiencing DDoS attacks* from an anonymous third-party targeting the FINAL FANTASY XIV game servers on the NA data center.

On the link in the article.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    moshra said:
    How many games have you played that had smooth launches?

Some are better than others. FFXIV is one of the more horribly memorable ones for me.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    If it really is a DDoS attack, I hope they catch and fully prosecute the culprit.

Hypothetically speaking, of course.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Agnhar said:
    Early Access issues where simply caused by the overwhelming amount of players wanting to play FFXIV which i'm guessing surpassed what the devs estimated.
    Devs know how many copies were sold through pre-orders, so that's (as always) a no-go excuse.

More over, I'm baffled by how badly EU servers are handled. Where JP and US have tons of servers, the EU only has 7 or old ones (all from the original FF14 launch I must add), and with the early access only 1 was added. Needless to say ALL servers were congested within an hour of the start of EA and a 2nd server was added 3 days later, which is already congested as well. EU players need to start their logon AT LEAST 1 hour ahead during evenings and even then you're lucky to be able to play an hour later.
    One of my friends logged on for her husband at 8pm and had a queue of over 2500, which still wasn't cleared 2 hours later...
  • brasenhellbrasenhell Member CommonPosts: 2
    lol. I've been around since before ARR. ARR and HW both had decent launches, with little to no issues as far as my friends and I were concerned. SB was a new one, and Ddos attacks kind of make sense. Was probably some kid in a basement with way too much love for wow on his hands.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Rofl I did'nt shite my pants someone else did.... pathetic excuse.  Just have the balls to say we screwed up and are working on getting more servers up and running.
  • StevonStevon Member UncommonPosts: 221
    DDoS my ass.
  • TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

Reizla said:

Agnhar said:

Early Access issues where simply caused by the overwhelming amount of players wanting to play FFXIV which i'm guessing surpassed what the devs estimated.

Devs know how many copies were sold through pre-orders, so that's (as always) a no-go excuse.

More over, I'm baffled by how badly EU servers are handled. Where JP and US have tons of servers, the EU only has 7 or old ones (all from the original FF14 launch I must add), and with the early access only 1 was added. Needless to say ALL servers were congested within an hour of the start of EA and a 2nd server was added 3 days later, which is already congested as well. EU players need to start their logon AT LEAST 1 hour ahead during evenings and even then you're lucky to be able to play an hour later.
    One of my friends logged on for her husband at 8pm and had a queue of over 2500, which still wasn't cleared 2 hours later...

Corrections here, no Devs do not know how many copies were sold through pre-orders in a strictest sent. They sell the units to stories, stores sell the unites and it relies on people claiming the pre-order code. Best you can do is gauge how many people are interested and also understand that not everyone plays all at the same time. Point being, its bloody hard to work out and if it was easy to sort there would never be an issue, for FF, for WoW etc.

Servers are used where needed, EU servers came out later on and many still play on US servers, myself included.

Queues are an issue, but hey if you're not attached to anything you could of switched to Omega and enjoyed the Stormblood content with no queue time at all!

As for your friend and Mrs,if they literally don't interact with the FC they can move their characters for FREE to Omega.

Just pains me because people just make it harder for themselves!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    psiic said:
    Rofl I did'nt shite my pants someone else did.... pathetic excuse.  Just have the balls to say we screwed up and are working on getting more servers up and running.
    My guess is they have no plans to open new servers.

The overload at launch of a new expansion is not unexpected and they know in a month or less the rush will abate and normal loads will return except on a few over crowded servers.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited June 2017
    Is Lizard Squad behind the attack this time?

Been kinda debating on giving it another try for the 4th time lol.
    Kyleran
  • RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674

Tsumoro said:

Reizla said:

Agnhar said:

Corrections here, no Devs do not know how many copies were sold through pre-orders in a strictest sent. They sell the units to stories, stores sell the unites and it relies on people claiming the pre-order code. Best you can do is gauge how many people are interested and also understand that not everyone plays all at the same time. Point being, its bloody hard to work out and if it was easy to sort there would never be an issue, for FF, for WoW etc.

Servers are used where needed, EU servers came out later on and many still play on US servers, myself included.

Queues are an issue, but hey if you're not attached to anything you could of switched to Omega and enjoyed the Stormblood content with no queue time at all!

As for your friend and Mrs,if they literally don't interact with the FC they can move their characters for FREE to Omega.

Just pains me because people just make it harder for themselves!

You do realize that people have to enter a code for the early access which means they would know how many people did that unless everyone waited for early access to begin to enter their code. That probably happened for some but they knew how many people were going to be ready to play in advance.
  • collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328

saurus123 said:

They're making a criminal charge. There's real world consequences for something like this.

Good luck catching whoever is responsible if they aren't completely retarded.