Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Was all ready to pledge after the stream, then I looked at the pledge page...

Comments

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

Nanfoodle said:

Dullahan said:

Rhoklaw said:

Eventually, this genre will die if something doesn't eventually click. New MMOs are mostly trash and the ones that aren't are F2P with P2W cash shop milk machines.

Only truly viable MMO's left with healthy populations
    • World or Warcraft
    • Guild Wars 2
    • Elder Scrolls Online
    • Final Fantasy XIV: Realm Reborn
    Notice any alarming similarities about these 4 MMOs? Are any of them F2P? Nope. Do any of them have a P2W cash shop milking machine? Nope. Two of them are still subscription based. One of them has a hybrid payment system and the last one is B2P with an unfortunate case of RNG boxes.

So, the question is. How does Pantheon compare to any of these 4 MMOs? It is going P2P without a cash shop. So that is a good start. Now you're going to say, well what about WildStar? Nothing was terribly wrong with WildStar. It had some very strong points, but it also had some extremely weak points. On top of that, it buckled into a F2P version to try and recoup their losses.

Pantheon is a spiritual successor. No offense to Brad, but Vanguard was definitely not a spiritual successor. Taking EQ's core mechanics with some minor updated changes, improved graphics and animations and starting over with a new world with new lore and finally adding in some newer mechanics is how you revitalize a classic.

There's a reason I've been playing progressive / vanilla EQ, SWG, DAoC Classic and Vanilla WoW lately. Those games make sense. I don't know why so many great MMOs feel the need to perform drastic changes to their core mechanics. WoW is the biggest culprit of this and while it's still popuplar, it's also at 50% of it's peak population and has been for quite a while. Nothing they've done has brought back the 5 million players they lost.

This argument comes in half a dozen different flavors, but it's usually in defense of a business proposition of... questionable merit. 

Somehow, I doubt the genre will die if Pantheon or something doesn't eventually "click"... and yes there are more viable MMOs than WoW, ESO, GW2, and FF.

Total player numbers isn't as impressive as how many players are on any given server, and how those players are allowed to interact.  Bandwagon fallacy, much? 

Anyhow, here's hoping Pantheon turns out all right, but let's not paint any one title as 'savior of the genre'.

The genre is already dead. It's just twitching in it's death throes. Pantheon is likely the last hope to revive it. After that it will be VR, which will eventually die out for the same reasons if we don't get back to the things that made mmos great to begin with.

I don't think its dead. The market follows the money. We see LoL clones and MMOs trying to be MOBAs. When someone gets the next big hit the market will chase that. Online games will keep evolving long after we are dead. Maybe the next big MMO jump forward will be AR MMO and people will be exploring RL with AR dragons in the park. 

Yeah, it follows the money, and that's why the money is down like 500% in the last 3 years and all we're seeing is eastern ports. Western vc and publishers have abandoned it for the lifeless corpse that it is.
    svann

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    edited May 2017

Tiamat64 said:

Konfess said:

What is the purpose of this thread?  To Fund a Game in Development?  No.  To get another P4F game!  And NOT Fund a Game in Development.  To fund a game or not, is a personal decision. To come to an open forum to persuade other not to fund a game, is Obstruction of Commerce.

What the heck does the concept of Obstruction of Commerce have to do with this?

...nevermind, I'll look it up myself.

(a)
    Whoever in any way or degree obstructs, delays, or affects commerce or the movement of any article or commodity in commerce, by robbery or extortion or attempts or conspires so to do, or commits or threatens physical violence to any person or property in furtherance of a plan or purpose to do anything in violation of this section shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.

......I don't think that term means what you think it means.

Let me start off by saying I don't work for VR, so I don't have a horse in this race.  But before I posted, I passed it by the company's, I work for, lawyers and they said it does apply.  Now if anyone can't see how the OP attempts to affect commerce, then they should head to their local law school and ask a Business Law Professor or one of their Students to explain what was posted in Section (a) above.

Now our lawyers say they wont leave the office for anything less than a 6 figure pay day.  But Urban Legend has other firms filling suit against anyone single, with no children, and a career earning over $40k a year.  Those firms walk away with 10%-50% of those individuals yearly pay, filling 100's of thousands or more a year.  These suits are called easy money, because all they have to do is change the name and address on the filling and walk in to an open and shut case in the firms favor.  If the individuals threaten violence then it could be multi years.  What I learned in 7th grade over 40 years ago was that an individuals right to free speech ends, when it violates another's rights or they don't have a permit.

I want to thank @Tiamat64 for their interest in my post.  Many Forum users don't understand the danger they put themselves in when they use a public forum.  They either don't know that it is possible or they don't understand the language of the law they are violating.  My posts are always meant to educate and inform.  Also None of what I have posted is Legal Advice, always seek council on your own.
    Post edited by Konfess on
    svann

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited May 2017

Konfess said:

Let me start off by saying I don't work for VR, so I don't have a horse in this race.  But before I posted, I passed it by the company's, I work for, lawyers and they said it does apply.  Now if anyone can't see how the OP attempts to affect commerce, then they should head to their local law school and ask a Business Law Professor or one of their Students to explain what was posted in Section (a) above.

Now our lawyers say they wont leave the office for anything less than a 6 figure pay day.  But Urban Legend has other firms filling suit against anyone single, with no children, and a career earning over $40k a year.  Those firms walk away with 10%-50% of those individuals yearly pay, filling 100's of thousands or more a year.  These suits are called easy money, because all they have to do is change the name and address on the filling and walk in to an open and shut case in the firms favor.  If the individuals threaten violence then it could be multi years.  What I learned in 7th grade over 40 years ago was that an individuals right to free speech ends, when it violates another's rights or they don't have a permit.

I want to thank @Tiamat64 for their interest in my post.  Many Forum users don't understand the danger they put themselves in when they use a public forum.  They either don't know that it is possible or they don't understand the language of the law they are violating.  My posts are always meant to educate and inform.  Also None of what I have posted is Legal Advice, always seek council on your own.

Ok.

................er, is this about a violence threat now or something?  /confused
  • Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    edited May 2017

Nanfoodle said:

You do get a 50 pledge gets you a copy of the game and some perks? 100 gets you 2 copies of the game + perks + Beta access? Support or dont :) great part is you don't need to. See you at launch if that's what you want :) 

$100 is what it would cost to get copies for my wife and I at retail for most B2P games anyways.
    [Deleted User]

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

Konfess said:

What is the purpose of this thread?  To Fund a Game in Development?  No.  To get another P4F game!  And NOT Fund a Game in Development.  To fund a game or not, is a personal decision. To come to an open forum to persuade other not to fund a game, is Obstruction of Commerce.

This I am afraid is nonsense. No one here is engaged in robbery, violence , extortion or any similar criminal conduct that would trigger application of the federal statutory prohibition on obstruction of commerce. It's just a bunch of peeps with opinions on whether a game is worth funding or not.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610

Amathe said:

Konfess said:

This I am afraid is nonsense. No one here is engaged in robbery, violence , extortion or any similar criminal conduct that would trigger application of the federal statutory prohibition on obstruction of commerce. It's just a bunch of peeps with opinions on whether a game is worth funding or not.

And 1/2 the people saying they would not give Pantheon money, would not ever play a game like this anyways.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

Nanfoodle said:

And 1/2 the people saying they would not give Pantheon money, would not ever play a game like this anyways.

Maybe, but that is a different issue than what I posted about. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• 1AD71AD7 Member UncommonPosts: 51
    I bumped up my pledge to VIP earlier this year.  There is no other MMO out there that can deliver what I am really looking for outside of Pantheon.  Like others have suggested, this is our chance to contribute toward something we believe in.  I wish I could do the same for my wife so that we could test pre-alpha together but that's a bit too heavy on our coin-purse.  No worries though ... I'll get in and have a chance to relive the golden years and hopefully when my wife sees her husband beaming with joy like a kid on Christmas, she will also commit.  She has never had a chance to play the old-school games that defined this genre.  Now she does.
    Nanfoodle[Deleted User]
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    edited June 2017
    Konfess said:

Tiamat64 said:

Konfess said:

What the heck does the concept of Obstruction of Commerce have to do with this?

...nevermind, I'll look it up myself.

(a)
    Whoever in any way or degree obstructs, delays, or affects commerce or the movement of any article or commodity in commerce, by robbery or extortion or attempts or conspires so to do, or commits or threatens physical violence to any person or property in furtherance of a plan or purpose to do anything in violation of this section shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.

......I don't think that term means what you think it means.

Now our lawyers say they wont leave the office for anything less than a 6 figure pay day.  But Urban Legend has other firms filling suit against anyone single, with no children, and a career earning over $40k a year. 
    If you arent bullshitting then you could easily link to one single example of a successful lawsuit against forum posters exercising their 1st amendment rights.  And before you go there, we arent talking about slander, just forum posts that say dont buy this.

You claimed facts not in evidence.  So show something.

To be clear, Im not with the dont buy this crowd.  I just dont like bullshit.
    Caseyx
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Let's see... one, one thousand dollar pledge for a game in early development or one hundred dollar gold level packages for ten games about to be released... decisions, decisions...
    Kyleran

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Let's see... one, one thousand dollar pledge for a game in early development or one hundred dollar gold level packages for ten games about to be released... decisions, decisions...
    Thats something each person has to really decide. Myself if I had 1k to drop, I would buy into Pantheon just so I would have VIP access and has a larger voice into the development on this game. As I own maybe 30 games I have not completed and I bunch of games I want to replay =-)
    Octagon7711
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited June 2017
    Rhoklaw said:
    In retrospect, I pledged $500 to The Repopulation and we all know how that went. Here's why it doesn't upset me though. I've spent $500 on other MMOs to try out because I'm always looking for something new to call home. Turns out, the past 5-10 MMOs I've purchased never kept my interest, except for maybe ESO. So, however you want to look at it, I pledged $500 on a game I knew would interest me if it ever launched and at the same time, I spent $500 on several MMOs, all of which turned out to be the same old crap as before.

Crowdfunding makes sense, but unfortunately the games I like, don't seem to be popular enough for AAA companies to invest in, so what choice do I have? Crowdfunding is for games that aren't in the popular trend.
    its a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy, the popularity part. Because the decision makers are controlling what is available, then they look at what people buy (because its the only thing they can buy) and then say 'its popular'

this video kinda sorta illustrates that problem

KyleranOctagon7711MrMelGibson

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

edited June 2017
    Honestly, Im not about to pledge to Pantheon.
    But Im even less likely to pledge to any of those other games as I would have no interest in playing them so it would be wasted whether the game was a success or not.

Seriously?  Get serious
    svann said:
    But Im even less likely to pledge to any of those other games as I would have no interest in playing them so it would be wasted whether the game was a success or not.

Seriously?  Get serious
    I am serious.  It's how I look at it.  And say the game is a big hit and everything I wanted and more.  Am I gonna kick myself in the rear for not buying in during Kickstarter?  No.  I'm going to buy in after I see it's developed into something I want.  So I missed some titles and pets and skins, I'll enjoy being in the game after it's launched and bugs have been ironed out for many many many years.  I'm in no hurry.  If it's not what I'm interested in I've lost nothing.
    Caseyx

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited June 2017
    svann said:

Seriously?  Get serious
    I am serious.  It's how I look at it.  And say the game is a big hit and everything I wanted and more.  Am I gonna kick myself in the rear for not buying in during Kickstarter?  No.  I'm going to buy in after I see it's developed into something I want.  So I missed some titles and pets and skins, I'll enjoy being in the game after it's launched and bugs have been ironed out for many many many years.  I'm in no hurry.  If it's not what I'm interested in I've lost nothing.
    I can respect that you dont think it wise to invest in an unknown.
    But saying you would rather pledge in other games based on the fact that their pledge package is superior is just ludicrous.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    they probably just say that most common is 1k so that you are more likely to do it . ..?
    marketing through deception. A quick way for me to completely ignore their existence.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I wish i never heard about these outrageous pledge numbers because it turns me right off.
    Now i pretty much have no game to look forward to ..sigh.

Guess i'll keep playing Gorgon and FFXI until something worth my time and money comes out.

Do any legit,fair businessmen still reside within mmorpg studios?

This has been by far the worst era in gaming,little to no improvements but tons of new ways to scam people out of their money.
    I remember just a few years ago devs didn't like the idea o remastering,now they see how easily people throw money around and tons of games are being remastered.Devs don't even have to put much effort into the remaster,just says "Remastered" and people  are buying it.

BTW >>>>"makes sense".Well if the game/ideas make sense,why not get it funded instead of prying unfair amounts from gamer's?I said it several years ago,if you want me to fund your game,then i want top value shares,a % of all profits.Your not taking my money and running with it.
    jpedrote52

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687
    edited June 2017
    Business is business. Crowd funding is just another business model. 
    I think the pledge numbers are more that fair. I am doing the $300 because it has what I want. To some $300 may be a lot. To me it isn't pocket change but its not a huge amount either. Its all about your income level.
    If you aren't working or you're in college, I'm sure the pledges seem stupidly high. To someone making a solid income, you don't even blink until you get to upper tiers.
    I think the Pantheon target audience is 28-50+, which in most cases means a decent income level.

Obviously, this is just my opinion.

Edit: @Wizardry ;
    The last part of your post is borderline whining. With 12494 posts, I believe you are one of the groups who look at the pledge numbers as stupidly high.
    If you don't think its fair, then move along and play something else.
    good luck.
    [Deleted User]

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Wizardry said:
    I wish i never heard about these outrageous pledge numbers because it turns me right off.

Guess i'll keep playing Gorgon and FFXI until something worth my time and money comes out.

This has been by far the worst era in gaming,little to no improvements but tons of new ways to scam people out of their money.
    I remember just a few years ago devs didn't like the idea o remastering,now they see how easily people throw money around and tons of games are being remastered.Devs don't even have to put much effort into the remaster,just says "Remastered" and people  are buying it.

BTW >>>>"makes sense".Well if the game/ideas make sense,why not get it funded instead of prying unfair amounts from gamer's?I said it several years ago,if you want me to fund your game,then i want top value shares,a % of all profits.Your not taking my money and running with it.
    Pro tip. It's not your money they are after.

They want those willing to part with some to help build the game.
    NanfoodleMrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Wizardry said:

Pro tip. It's not your money they are after.

They want those willing to part with some to help build the game.

Ya this is not some kind of scam. People backing this game know the time involved and the risk they are taking. No one is forcing anyone to part with their money. 
    KyleranCaseyx
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited June 2017
    Wizardry said:

Hold on, are you seriously comparing Pantheon Pledges with the likes of Star Citizen, SotA, and Chronicles of Elyra?
    Have you checked what's in the bloody Pledges before tear the remaining hairs you have left?

First off Pantheon never had any Kickstarter Money (mainly because they bombed), the majority of the game has been financed by Brad McQuaid and some other third party Private Investors, unlike the majority of the current MMO in production.
    So at least you should appreciate that.

Secondly, seriously, did you check what's in the $1.000 Pledge or even the $10.000 Pledge?
    I'll tell you...mainly crap (With all due respect).
    Pantheon is not selling Virtual Space Ships, neither is selling Castles, Villages or Kingdoms like other games.
    What they are selling is access to Pre-Alpha, Alpha and Beta (like any other game), but mainly what they are asking for is for a Donation, they are not selling parts on the game.
    Yes $1000 is a lot of money, but Virtual Realms are not tricking anybody to throw their money at them by selling Virtual Shit.

They are asking for a Donation from people who can afford it, that's all.
    Are you against people making donations now? 
    Maybe you could suggest them another way to finance the game then...we are all ears.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    ragz45 said:
    I was ready to drop $100 after the stream today, thinking that it was a pretty decent pledge.  Then I look at the pledge page, and it's one of the lowest packages there is.  Packages range from 50, 100, 150, 250, 300, 500, 1k+.  This isn't really unusual among kickstarters, but what got me was what was offered at the different tiers, and then on top of that, what the most popular tier was.  $1,000 being the most popular pledge tier.

For 1 grand or more, you don't even get a lifetime sub, you get 6 months.  Not only can I not help but wonder who's got a grand to drop on a game that's still in alpha, but I'm astounded by the fact that this is the most popular pledge tier.  Maybe I'm just old, but I can remember when you bought a game for $50-60  and then had a $15 sub on top of that, and that was all.  Now we're expected to drop a grand on a game that's still in development, in the hopes that we like the end product?

I mean, assuming $15 a month for a sub, and a $60 box price.  It would take me 5 years to pay a grand in box+ sub fees.  And people are dropping a grand left and right on this game?  I really don't understand what gamer culture has come to if this is the case.  The microtransaction shops that infest games are bad enough (can remember when games supported themselves on subs alone), but this is just crazy.

As much as I really enjoyed the stream, and really admire what Visionary Realms is doing, I would have to be insane to drop a grand on the game instead of putting that money in my child's college fund, or my own retirement fund.  I understand that VR is trying to make the game without having to cow down to suits telling them what to do, and that's why they are seeking crowdfunding, but at this point it just feels like rape.  Maybe if we got to see some dividend returns after the game is released and making money, making the pledges more of an investment in something you believe in.  But as it is now, it just feels like Brad and team are just going to be laughing all the way to the bank once the game is released.  

And, yes I know, "If i don't like it, don't pledge".  But that's the real rub, I do like it, and I wanted to pledge something.  But at this point it feels like if i'm not pledging a grand, I may as well just not pledge at all.
    Should have pledged to Ashes OF Creation instead $500 for a Lifetime Subscription.
    BruceYee
    svann said:
    svann said:

Seriously?  Get serious
    I can respect that you dont think it wise to invest in an unknown.
    But saying you would rather pledge in other games based on the fact that their pledge package is superior is just ludicrous.
    That's pretty much it.  Not investing in an unknown or planning stage game while there are other games I've had a chance to play.  I've actually bought a few games because they had a free weekend or free week and I enjoyed them. 

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Renoaku said:
    ragz45 said:
    I was ready to drop $100 after the stream today, thinking that it was a pretty decent pledge.  Then I look at the pledge page, and it's one of the lowest packages there is.  Packages range from 50, 100, 150, 250, 300, 500, 1k+.  This isn't really unusual among kickstarters, but what got me was what was offered at the different tiers, and then on top of that, what the most popular tier was.  $1,000 being the most popular pledge tier.

For 1 grand or more, you don't even get a lifetime sub, you get 6 months.  Not only can I not help but wonder who's got a grand to drop on a game that's still in alpha, but I'm astounded by the fact that this is the most popular pledge tier.  Maybe I'm just old, but I can remember when you bought a game for $50-60  and then had a $15 sub on top of that, and that was all.  Now we're expected to drop a grand on a game that's still in development, in the hopes that we like the end product?

I mean, assuming $15 a month for a sub, and a $60 box price.  It would take me 5 years to pay a grand in box+ sub fees.  And people are dropping a grand left and right on this game?  I really don't understand what gamer culture has come to if this is the case.  The microtransaction shops that infest games are bad enough (can remember when games supported themselves on subs alone), but this is just crazy.

As much as I really enjoyed the stream, and really admire what Visionary Realms is doing, I would have to be insane to drop a grand on the game instead of putting that money in my child's college fund, or my own retirement fund.  I understand that VR is trying to make the game without having to cow down to suits telling them what to do, and that's why they are seeking crowdfunding, but at this point it just feels like rape.  Maybe if we got to see some dividend returns after the game is released and making money, making the pledges more of an investment in something you believe in.  But as it is now, it just feels like Brad and team are just going to be laughing all the way to the bank once the game is released.  

And, yes I know, "If i don't like it, don't pledge".  But that's the real rub, I do like it, and I wanted to pledge something.  But at this point it feels like if i'm not pledging a grand, I may as well just not pledge at all.
    Should have pledged to Ashes OF Creation instead $500 for a Lifetime Subscription.
    Or CU's Lifetime Sub for $275 since we're in the mood to recommend games that may or may not ever be released...
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    BruceYee said:
    Renoaku said:
    ragz45 said:

Or CU's Lifetime Sub for $275 since we're in the mood to recommend games that may or may not ever be released...
    Ah im pretty sure "Ashes OF Creation" will likely be released unless that was a total big scam which I doubt it shows more promise than the first pledge Albion I backed in 2013 and it took them like 4 years and they came out with really nothing new...

But what game is CU for $275 I might want to take a look at that?