Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 2, Warcraft 3 & StarCraft Being Remastered - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageDiablo 2, Warcraft 3 & StarCraft Being Remastered - MMORPG.com News

A new posting on the Blizzard site pretty clearly states that the dreams of many classic games fans will be coming true. The ad is seeking a Senior Software Engineer for server technology to bring Diablo 2, StarCraft and Warcraft 3 to a new generation of players. The ad cites "evolving operating systems, hardware and online services" as barriers to be overcome to allow loyal fans and new players to enjoy the three.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

MrMelGibsonCotic

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• EldrachEldrach Member RarePosts: 412
    Bit tired of the "remastered editions" fever that's currently plaguing the gameindustri. Yes, those were great games...But remastering them takes focus away from creating new experiences.
    jgDuffayNickhead420rasgan514austinmaw[Deleted User]SlyLoKThunder073natpickAlomarMegilindirand 4 others.
  • donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    Hopefully this will lead to Warcraft 4. They flat out refuse to do vanilla wow servers, but then they do this? Yeah, I know it's not quite the same thing, but still. Blizzard trollin.
    rasgan514austinmawThunder073natpickAlomarWaanforcelimaMrMelGibsonCotic
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    Warcraft 3 remastered? Well, time to say goodbye to my family.
    ConstantineMerusThunder073natpickWaanMrMelGibsonArskaaaCoticPhry
  • GreatswordGreatsword Member RarePosts: 353
    Jumping to conclusions for clickbait, are we?

Since they are looking for a software engineer for servers it's most likely about migrating those old games to a new server system/infrastructure. Just look at the job description.

The games named here are just bragging by Blizzard so a job seeker who's not into gaming knows what company he is applying for (believe it or not, this job ad will be posted on all major job boards). That ""We are the company behind D2, WC3 and SC!"." introduction paragraph is normal for every company in every job ad and they might even use it to look for a janitor.
    CecropiaHiromant
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Excellent Blizzard, just dont remaster D2's expansion.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    edited June 2017
    "New Generation of Players" scared me. We all know that this generation plays with money.
    Post edited by Dauzqul on
    Ricardo58KyleranforcelimaAgent_Joseph
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Since they are looking for a software engineer for servers it's most likely about migrating those old games to a new server system/infrastructure. Just look at the job description.

The games named here are just bragging by Blizzard so a job seeker who's not into gaming knows what company he is applying for (believe it or not, this job ad will be posted on all major job boards). That ""We are the company behind D2, WC3 and SC!"." introduction paragraph is normal for every company in every job ad and they might even use it to look for a janitor.

They list the games and then say: "We’re restoring them to glory"
    austinmawSBFordCazrielConstantineMerusCotic
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    D2 in HD/4k? Yus. 

• WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 450
    WC3 still looks pretty decent. I have it installed on Windows7. Only problemis cut scenes dont show,  they're completely black. Other than that, the game plays fine. I may, or may not spring fir the remastered. We'll see
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,118

Eldrach said:

Bit tired of the "remastered editions" fever that's currently plaguing the gameindustri. Yes, those were great games...But remastering them takes focus away from creating new experiences.

Really ? So , you believe Blizzard will take away resources/focus from other projects just to make a remastered version of SC, W3 & D2 ? No! Those require small teams to bring the remastered projects to live as they already stated that.

I am pretty sure that Blizzard always works on creating new experiences without taking away resources from other projects.
    xyzercrimeSovrathMrMelGibson

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Sovrath said:

They list the games and then say: "We’re restoring them to glory"
    Thank you for pointing that out and exactly why I included that particular quote in the entire article which, judging by the earlier post, was not read. Starcraft has already been announced as headed for remaster so lumping WC3 and D2 in with it means they will also be remastered. It's not as much of a stretch as the one mentioned later in the full article.
    SovrathMrMelGibsonConstantineMerusPhry

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    edited June 2017
    I think this is a great idea. Updating their game engines to to DX12 and their art assets to wide screen and 4k resolutions. That would go a long way to breathing life into these old games. My god son is just about the same age as his dad when we first played Warcraft, when he was born.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    And here i was considering buying Diablo III (if it would drop in price just a bit more). With Diablo II remastered, probably no reason anymore. And i still play Warcraft 3 every other year or so.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• Geddon95405Geddon95405 Member UncommonPosts: 111
    would rather have D4 instead of 'remastered' stuff i've already played

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women...

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    It amazes me that Blizzard would do this and Bethesda is to cheap to do this with TES3 Morrowind. This is something that fans have been wanting for years.
  • ElderknightElderknight Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Hopefully they will add them to the battlenet app so we can launch them with the other games, how much do you think they will charge for the remaster games 10$ would be good with me.
    SBFordMrMelGibson
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Hariken said:
    It amazes me that Blizzard would do this and Bethesda is to cheap to do this with TES3 Morrowind. This is something that fans have been wanting for years.
    I don't think it has anything to do with "being cheap". Todd Howard had answered this and said that the resources it would take to bring Morrowind up to moden standards could be used to make another game.

My guess is that Blizzard has a lot more money and additional personnel; they crunched the numbers and felt it would be profitable to do so.

Companies are ALWAYS willing to spend money if they think they can make a significant profit and if the project falls under their company mission statement.
    MrMelGibson
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Well....

I can only hope that one day they will remaster Vanilla WoW ;)
    MadFrenchiedeniter

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited June 2017
    If they are truly remastering D2 and W3 then i can also see them porting those two games to consoles. I never played D2 and W3 because of their point and click only nature. And with the success and excellent gameplay of D3 on consoles i would definitely play them on PS4.

I'm against remastering modern games(that are still fresh), but i welcome these classics and others with open arms, any day.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    D2 is my all time fave, can t wait.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    This is a stepping stone to Vanilla WoW servers maybe? They are on a reusing what they have already have to make more money kick so maybe eventually they'll get to WoW when they run out of other things to re-sell.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    BruceYee said:
    This is a stepping stone to Vanilla WoW servers maybe? They are on a reusing what they have already have to make more money kick so maybe eventually they'll get to WoW when they run out of other things to re-sell.
    This is not the way to bet. ;)
    SovrathPhry

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Kyleran said:
    BruceYee said:
    This is not the way to bet. ;)
    Guessing what a company will do in the future based on decisions they have recently made?

They are investing money by hiring new people to cut up the potato you bought many years ago, throwing it in a fryer and calling it something new to sell it again. It's ok though because the "remastered" label allows them to do this and because it's Blizzard will probably be perfectly acceptable + next gen business practice.
  • XanzoXanzo Member UncommonPosts: 129
    FFS just make D4 and/or Warcraft 4?