Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PS4 - RPG and JRPG options?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
I was considering getting a Nintendo Switch to play Zelda BotW, but...

Holy CRAP, there's a ton of titles available for PS4, eh?  I wouldn't know where to start.  Are there any good, non-twitchy RPGs or JRPGs available?  I haven't played anything like that since FFX.  Or any other relatively forgiving or turn-based games?  I'm old, my reaction times and coordination are shot.  But some of my fondest gaming memories are on the original X-Box and PS2.

Thanks for any info!

Comments

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Persona 5?  Too weird??
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited April 2017
    No not at all. You simply have to get Persona 5, there is nothing like it. If Zelda is a system seller for the Switch then Persona 5 is for the PS4 (you can also get it for the PS3). Such an amazing game.

You might enjoy Nier and Horizons, both great games with really good stories although the combat is a bit twitchy but I wouldn't let that put you off.

You know, you could always pick up a second hand PS3, get Persona 5 for it, get The Last Of Us, Red Dead Redemption, Ni No Nuni, some of the Tales games, ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, Uncharted series etc.
    It's the path I went down because in my opinion there are just not enough exclusives to justify the outlay for the few games that I like.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    If you like JRGPs there's no argument over getting a PS4. Yes there are dozens of very good titles available now, and many more to come. 

Persona 5 is awesome, and yes it is weird! :)
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • Thoth_MosheThoth_Moshe Member UncommonPosts: 240

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Also next Kojima title is going to a PS4 exclusive and supposedly is going to change gaming. I worship that man and he got Mads Mikkelsen in the game as well, not sure if anything better could happen to my gaming world. 
    Phry
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited April 2017
    Oh yes get a PS 3 they are so cheap much cheaper than a 4 and there are many games on it. 

Like someone said there are the Tales games, Persona 5 is on it too which is super and you can also get the earlier Persona game  like Persona 4  or 3 which is awesome.

Then Ni No Kuni of course which is Studio Ghibli animation my god simply wonderful game.

There is also the Atelier series and Final Fantasy games and Eternal Sonata ,Resonance of Fate which was too hard for me but very unique combat system. Then Star Ocean The Last Hope and White Knight chronicles. Tell you the truth you would be spoilt for choice.

For PS 4 try this thread

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/o-人-o-ps4-jrpg-database-and-discussion-thread-o-人-o.454916219/

• Thoth_MosheThoth_Moshe Member UncommonPosts: 240

kitarad said:

Oh yes get a PS 3 they are so cheap much cheaper than a 4 and there are many games on it. 

Like someone said there are the Tales games, Persona 5 is on it too which is super and you can also get the earlier Persona game  like Persona 4  or 3 which is awesome.

Then Ni No Kuni of course which is Studio Ghibli animation my god simply wonderful game.

There is also the Atelier series and Final Fantasy games and Eternal Sonata ,Resonance of Fate which was too hard for me but very unique combat system. Then Star Ocean The Last Hope and White Knight chronicles. Tell you the truth you would be spoilt for choice.

For PS 4 try this thread

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/o-人-o-ps4-jrpg-database-and-discussion-thread-o-人-o.454916219/

You can play most of those on PS Now which can also be used on PC for 20 dollars a month
    https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/playstationnow/
    MrMelGibsonPhry
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    persona 5

Cool, thanks guys!

Was FF XV a flop?  Was the lack of turn-based combat a franchise killer?
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I wouldn't call FFXV a flop. It's just a different flavor. I thought it was fun - not the best FF title by any means, but a fun title. I found myself caring more about fishing than fighting, but the storyline was compelling enough.

I liked World of Final Fantasy a lot more though, even though it has that particular art style I didn't care for.
    OK.  What are these "Tales" games?  What's the full game title?
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

Also next Kojima title is going to a PS4 exclusive and supposedly is going to change gaming. I worship that man and he got Mads Mikkelsen in the game as well, not sure if anything better could happen to my gaming world. 

Whats the name of the title ?

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AntoniasAntonias Member CommonPosts: 1
    There are two... or three games I really like to recommend:
    1) Bloodborne - I think this one is all over the place by now, it's so famous by now. Between Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne, I tend to go for Bloodborne (though DS III is also a good game too).
    2) Persona 5 - I saw that there are many people've recommended this, and I still like to bring this up. For me Persona 5 has excellent story and music (which I've got addicted to it). 
    3) Ni-oh - This is just a side suggestion (according purely to my preference). The game has fantastic sword fight but I don't like its storytelling and the classic levels system. Still, a worthy game to get.
  • slygamer1979slygamer1979 Member UncommonPosts: 101
    want a good RPG or two try Witcher 3 and previous witcher games 
    Final Fantasy XV 
    Horizon Zero Dawn 
    Mass Effect series is good, Andromeda is the new one and everyone has different opinions of it
    Elder Scrolls series
    Fallout series

these are the games i recommend :-)
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

kitarad said:

For PS 4 try this thread

You can play most of those on PS Now which can also be used on PC for 20 dollars a month
    https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/playstationnow/
    I've used this for a few months and played a lot of games through this app.  All you need is a PS3 or PS4.  Way cheaper than buying a PS3.
  • BlazingJ816BlazingJ816 Member CommonPosts: 11
    Persona and Tales of Berseria definitely, I also suggest you take a look at Dragon Quest XI when it comes out on the PS4.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    There is a lot of them on the PS4 tbh, i would recommend pretty much all of the Final Fantasy series, and Mass Effect, though not Andromeda for obvious reasons as i am not a fan of self flagellation by any means. The Tales are worth looking into if you like JRPG's too, honestly the list of games that fall into that category on the PS4 is fairly extensive, just look in the Playstation store even, some of them are even reasonably priced there  :p
    If you browse the online distributors, from Amazon etc. then you will have access to a huge range of games, if you don't mind waiting a day or two for them to be delivered, should easily be enough there to keep you in JRPG's for a year or three  ;)
    ConstantineMerus